Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 11:18 PM   #1
GORDZ
OMGORDZ

Default as if the grog tax wasn't enough

So the price of a slab of turkey went from $87 to $115 . but tonight I notice that the price is still $115 yet the cans now contain only 6.9% and 2.0 standards in relation to the 8% and 2.4 standards of only last week.

Now i'm peeved off enough about the tax, but charging the same amount for weaker premixes? thats got me right furious.

Has anyone else noticed this with their favorite drop?

BA XR6 Ute, twin throttlebodied blueprint.

Last edited by SpoolMan; 06-09-2008 at 12:47 AM. Reason: political
Old 05-09-2008, 11:23 PM   #2
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

The tax was voted down by the majority, prices should drop soon.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:54 PM   #3
birdman941
Boss equipped 2004 Cobra

Excuse my Yank failure to understand.
What is a slab of turkey?
404 HP
387 lb./ft. torque NA

301Kw/525 Nm. at the wheels
Need parts from the States? PM me
Happy to help
Old 06-09-2008, 12:10 AM   #4
Krakey
love thy ford

24 cans of wild turkey

krakey
Old 06-09-2008, 12:12 AM   #5
Falcon4L
'04 BA XT

bulleit bourbon is the same... no longer 9% theyre also 6.9%... shattered

80 series Turbo Diesel Cruiser
Old 06-09-2008, 12:20 AM   #6
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakey
24 cans of wild turkey

krakey

Its amazing they can fit the whole bloody bird in one of those.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:24 AM   #7
birdman941
Boss equipped 2004 Cobra

Ok, got it.
I had no clue.
404 HP
387 lb./ft. torque NA

301Kw/525 Nm. at the wheels
Need parts from the States? PM me
Happy to help
Old 06-09-2008, 12:33 AM   #8
GORDZ
OMGORDZ

bah... a 'case' :P

bulleit dropped too?!!? FUGG!! i was going to take the turkey back for a slab of that... glad i didnt.

oh well, back to the bottles.

BA XR6 Ute, twin throttlebodied blueprint.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:34 AM   #9
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

It sucks, I might have to go back to JB Black now, Its not as good, but for the money.

Turkey is $105 or $17.99/4 pack at the bottle shop i work at.

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

Old 06-09-2008, 12:44 AM   #10
aye you
The Origional, The Best

if i heard correctly, the bill is going to be reintroduced next sitting?

Still a rip that we're paying over $100 for a slab of our favourite
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
Old 06-09-2008, 12:45 AM   #11
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDZ

Has anyone else noticed this with their favorite drop?
Milk is looking ok....calcium content wasn't changed.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
Old 06-09-2008, 12:45 AM   #12
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll stick to buying bottles and coke.

All honesty, it is highway robbery for them taxing it and stupidity for buying it.

I wonder if the government is going to cry because this alco tax has put a hole in its surplus. :thebirds: They should stop looking at our luxuries and making up excuses for a tax.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.

Last edited by SpoolMan; 06-09-2008 at 12:48 AM. Reason: political
Old 06-09-2008, 12:50 AM   #13
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I think a lot of people are greatly regretting the fact they voted for the trendy new guy with glasses who could speak mandarin and wants to save the world...

As if people would reduce their drinking caus mixed drinks were jacked up in price? Want a Burbon and Coke on the cheap, simple, 1 bottle of Burbon and 2 bottles of Coke for half the price of the equ volume in cans. Worked for me, and for 90% of other drinkers, according to sale stats I heard on the radio a few weeks ago.

The sooner Krudd works out we are not fools the better...
Old 06-09-2008, 01:08 AM   #14
Gaz
Got Ghia?

I heard a speech by Malcolm Turnball soon after this crapy tax came in in regards to the rise of spirit sales - His quote "Do not underestimate the ingenuity of the Australian drinker"
Old 06-09-2008, 01:16 AM   #15
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Nothing wrong with having a say on alcohol and a thread of this content but, discrimination and political statements will be removed and or thread closed.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW

Last edited by SpoolMan; 06-09-2008 at 01:21 AM.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:29 AM   #16
azaxr8

well i paid 110 for a slab of jd the other week back to 90 thank god.!! this bourbon tax is a joke but hasnt stopped me. screw the government
Old 06-09-2008, 01:42 AM   #17
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I must have missed something, but is there now a policy to reduce the alcoholic content of drinks? How much more can they do before they realise they have not reduced binge drinking at all?

At least beer is still fairly cheap!
Old 06-09-2008, 06:21 AM   #18
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

I'm not sure of the exact details, but there is a relation to the alcohol % and the amount of tax, thats why many liquor companies are reducing the % to try to keep prices reasonable.

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??
Old 06-09-2008, 06:41 AM   #19
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

forget the price of the bogun booz, I used to buy them for conveniance when going to a BBQ or somthing but I'd never buy them as a preference to DIY mixing as I'm yet to find an RTD thats tastes "right", your better off in tast & $$$ to buy a bottel of burbon and another of coke and DIY it

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
Old 06-09-2008, 07:08 AM   #20
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

No wonder I left the country!

Crazy scenes

:(
Old 06-09-2008, 07:53 AM   #21
SiKoRa_eL_97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon4L
bulleit bourbon is the same... no longer 9% theyre also 6.9%... shattered
Yeah i know bloody terrible used 2 be able 2 get pretty tipsy on a 4 pack

better confiscate his computer.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:39 AM   #22
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnoods
I'll stick to buying bottles and coke.

I'm in this boat.

$20 for a litre of homebrew rum from a mate. Nicer then anything you can buy on a shelf. No preservatives or anything.

Pity a 2L coke costs an arm and a leg just about! Nearly $5 for a bottle of coke at the local bottle-o

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:50 AM   #23
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST
At least beer is still fairly cheap!
WTF..... Beer isn't cheap..... I still remember 50cent pots and I'm only early 30's.
My 1st carton I remember buying was about $20.
In fact if memory serves me correct 5 tallies for $10. (for you young ones a tallie
is double the size of a stubby).

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
forget the price of the bogun booz, I used to buy them for conveniance when going to a BBQ or somthing but I'd never buy them as a preference to DIY mixing as I'm yet to find an RTD thats tastes "right", your better off in tast & $$$ to buy a bottel of burbon and another of coke and DIY it
I'm with you. For a BBQ buying fairy cans is fine but if at home bottles is the
only way to get the real taste. Espec if talking about bundy.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:55 AM   #24
Falcon4L
'04 BA XT

beer just recently went up in price, same time that mixed drinks went down again...

Part of the bill was to reduce drinks above 2 standard drinks per can to exactly that...

Hence wild turkey and bulleit being 6.9% alcohol now... there was also talk of eliminating alcoholic energy drink, wouldnt bother me I hate them anyway...

From now I'll be drinking beer or buying bottles, it was just a convience thing to buy the cans

80 series Turbo Diesel Cruiser
Old 06-09-2008, 11:52 AM   #25
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon4L
Part of the bill was to reduce drinks above 2 standard drinks per can to exactly that...

Hence wild turkey and bulleit being 6.9% alcohol now... there was also talk of eliminating alcoholic energy drink, wouldnt bother me I hate them anyway...
So that's law now that they can't produce any higher content than two standard drinks per can?

I get sick of governmental "band aid" fixes to problems. Kids drinking too much? Up the prices. Too many people speeding? More cameras. These fixes do absolutely nothing, they only seem to cause mass outcry on forums such as these, and nothing ever comes and the band aid gets left on.

Sometimes I wish that some of the people in power, both state and federal, and opposition members would come on internet forums, read the views of the voters, take note of things we say - and ACT ON THEM. I guess we're all entitled to dream though.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:54 AM   #26
MrXr6Tickford
AU Club Mod

Thanks to the tax i've had to resort to drinking beer and i hate beer! :

Click Here
Old 06-09-2008, 12:59 PM   #27
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrXr6Tickford
Thanks to the tax i've had to resort to drinking beer and i hate beer! :
you a guy????
Sounds like a pretty gay comment....lol
Old 06-09-2008, 01:13 PM   #28
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so they've mad you favourite drug weaker ! build a bridge FFS there are far more important thing to whinge about thant the strength and cost of drugs . but this is typical of our drug f*#&ed nation. more social harm is caused by alcohol than all the illegal drugs combined but if you read about moves to reduce consumption of these you would say " good move we need to get rid of drugs". well here is an effort to reduce harm by a legal drug and although missguided and unlikely to be effective as cheaper options are available the government are quite within their rights to try to reduce the harm caused by this heavily abused drug

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 06-09-2008, 01:19 PM   #29
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
so they've mad you favourite drug weaker ! build a bridge FFS there are far more important thing to whinge about thant the strength and cost of drugs . but this is typical of our drug f*#&ed nation. more social harm is caused by alcohol than all the illegal drugs combined but if you read about moves to reduce consumption of these you would say " good move we need to get rid of drugs". well here is an effort to reduce harm by a legal drug and although missguided and unlikely to be effective as cheaper options are available the government are quite within their rights to try to reduce the harm caused by this heavily abused drug
First of all, I understand exactly where you are coming from.

However, the people heavily affected and afflicted by the results of alcohol are in a minority compared to those who just enjoy a social drink, or getting a little bit tipsy every now and then. Instead of making everyone pay high amounts for alcohol, why not try help those with the problems more?

By putting up the prices, you could very well be pricing the lower socio-economic group out of buying the drinks which could cause more crime, in them trying to obtain money to buy booze.

I dunno, I know EXACTLY what I'm trying to say here but I'm really having trouble putting it to words for the forum sorry.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:43 PM   #30
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

It can go up as much as they like !!
Smokes can too!!
I go overseas often enough to fill my bar with duty free elixir...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
Closed Thread