Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 24-09-2008, 10:00 AM   #1
RATT
In a Pug..

Default New Ford Australia President

His name is Marin Burela.
He is an Aussie who was an engineering graduate and is a Geelong native..

Old 24-09-2008, 10:04 AM   #2
Paxton
Cobblers!

Finally, an Aussie Running Ford Australia.

The Seppos are all well and good, but they don't understand the Australian car market. Hopefully Burela can turn Ford around.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Old 24-09-2008, 10:09 AM   #3
Cruise

And how long will he last before he jumps ship?
Old 24-09-2008, 10:10 AM   #4
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Lets hope he's in for the long haul as long as he does the job well ofcourse.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
Old 24-09-2008, 10:24 AM   #5
sandmanls1

http://www.theage.com.au/national/ma...0924-4mru.html
Old 24-09-2008, 10:34 AM   #6
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good luck to him - i hope he can change Ford for the better, just dont get rid of the falcon otherwise im coming for you :P

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
Old 24-09-2008, 10:48 AM   #7
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Enthusiastic is great, but remember Mr Osbourne was 'enthusiastic' as well.

Naturally I beleive he understands the Australian market better, I just hope he actually makes a few changes rather than just flap his arms to the pull of strings.

Previously:
98 AU Futura 4.0 - Wildcat Extractors, 200cpsi Stainless Cat, Custom 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Tickford Snorkel, Fram 'Airhog' Panel Filter - Daily

79 P6 LTD Silver Monarch - Project
Old 24-09-2008, 10:50 AM   #8
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Finally, an Aussie Running Ford Australia.

The Seppos are all well and good, but they don't understand the Australian car market. Hopefully Burela can turn Ford around.

That's like saying Malcom Turnbill could run Australia and Julie Bishop the treasury..... both Australians, but not skilled enough.

I think it's about time Ford got themselves an enterpreneur who is more interested in selling product and building a business, than minimising sliding sales. Someone who hasn't capitulated to the idea that small cars are the exclusive future. Engineers tend to be micro managers and far too conservative in taking necessary risk.
Old 24-09-2008, 11:07 AM   #9
RATT
In a Pug..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandmanls1
The Age seem to be ahead of the times.. Check the "date" of the article.
Old 24-09-2008, 11:16 AM   #10
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
That's like saying Malcom Turnbill could run Australia and Julie Bishop the treasury..... both Australians, but not skilled enough.

I think it's about time Ford got themselves an enterpreneur who is more interested in selling product and building a business, than minimising sliding sales. Someone who hasn't capitulated to the idea that small cars are the exclusive future. Engineers tend to be micro managers and far too conservative in taking necessary risk.
I agree on this. They need someone like Mulally for Australia. Someone who sees Ford as a business and can come in clean it up, improve sales and the brand image. Someone who has the balls to stand up to unions for the good of the company.
Old 24-09-2008, 12:14 PM   #11
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I'm not getting in to a political stoush but when I think "entrepreneur", a few names spring to mind. Alan Bond, Christopher Skase, Rodney Adler, George Herscu & Laurie Connell to name just a few.

Personally, I think someone who understands that the risk/reward equation also has a pretty large penatly for failure would get my vote!
Old 24-09-2008, 12:25 PM   #12
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Good to see not only an Aussie, but a Geelong Aussie! I think he'd be pretty upset that the Geelong plant has been shut down. Maybe He wants to ensure that nothing else gets shut down. I hope he has more than just the ability, but spirit and emotion. I think Ford Aus need more than just a new business plan to get through these touhg times.
Old 24-09-2008, 01:13 PM   #13
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The fact that he has an engineering background, rather than an economc or marketing one, should be a good thing as well.
Old 24-09-2008, 01:22 PM   #14
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just keep in mind that just because he's an aussie and he's from geelong doesnt mean he isnt just like the "fatcat's" who have already done the damage. I think it's a lets see what happens kinda situation here..
Old 24-09-2008, 01:23 PM   #15
220XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT
His name is Marin Burela.
He is an Aussie who was an engineering graduate and is a Geelong native..

Good common "Aussie" name he has :alien2:
Old 24-09-2008, 01:25 PM   #16
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was glancing through October Wheels in the newsagent today and reading an interview with someone up top in Ford saying Falcon will become front wheel drive and how good FWD is. Is that this guy? I was appalled, obviously someone who doesn't know about cars. They'd kiss goodbye to Ford's large car sales in Australia if they did that. The same issue has a comparison between the Falcon and a Mercedes and Jaguar. They wouldn't bother even thinking about comparing if it had a Camry type drivetrain.
Old 24-09-2008, 01:35 PM   #17
Falcon_Crazy
PX3 WildTrak & RTV

Just an idea, but if AFF can, as a group of passionate Ford supporters (and end users) can collectively come up with a letter to the new boss which covers off some of these views.

getting greement on something from the whole shebang may be gard, so why not take the time to jot downa brief letter and mail to HQ.

Good to get in when he is fresh and a letter arriving at his desk, in my history of corresponding with Ford, is always personally replied to.

Thoughts people??
BA Falcon RTV - Project Ute 265,000km
Sold PXII Ranger XLT Cool White. 105,000
Sold PX Ranger XLT in cool white, 151,700km on clock.
Sold FGII XR6T Ute LTD Edition in Kinetic.
Sold FG XR6 Ute
Sold BA Falcon RTV. 251,300km.Was a great mate for last 7 years

Sold AUII XLS Ute
Sold '85 XF & Crashed 84 XF
Old 24-09-2008, 01:45 PM   #18
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220XR8
What is an aussie name these days? May be he was born here from foreign parents.
who really cares anyway? As long as he can get the job done his name could be Hitler for all I care.
Old 24-09-2008, 01:48 PM   #19
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
Just keep in mind that just because he's an aussie and he's from geelong doesnt mean he isnt just like the "fatcat's" who have already done the damage. I think it's a lets see what happens kinda situation here..
hmmmm.. insightful...

Old 24-09-2008, 02:21 PM   #20
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
What is an aussie name these days? May be he was born here from foreign parents.
who really cares anyway? As long as he can get the job done his name could be Hitler for all I care.
Correct.

Nasser was of foreign Origins as well, but without him, there would have been no Tickford Falcons.
Old 24-09-2008, 02:27 PM   #21
DayTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I have a tendancy to disagree. Who were the last two Aussies in charge of Ford Aus? Jac Nasser, who brought back the V8 and had was around for the EB GT.
And Geoff Polites. Who as we know brought i the Territory and Ford back in to racing.
Now I realise that these aren't the be all and end all of running a successful business, but with some "local" knowledge, hopefully he can do well for our "local" Ford operations.

Good luck to him. And I hope his first job is to stick a rocket up Marketings back side.
Old 24-09-2008, 02:35 PM   #22
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220XR8
So just because he's not called John Smith, Michael Johnson or Chris Jones that changes something in respect to him being a native Australian?
Old 24-09-2008, 02:46 PM   #23
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_Crazy
Just an idea, but if AFF can, as a group of passionate Ford supporters (and end users) can collectively come up with a letter to the new boss which covers off some of these views.

getting greement on something from the whole shebang may be gard, so why not take the time to jot downa brief letter and mail to HQ.

Good to get in when he is fresh and a letter arriving at his desk, in my history of corresponding with Ford, is always personally replied to.

Thoughts people??
If we were really serious we would pool our funds, buy a considerable block of Ford shares and nominate a local boss. However I think a lot of people would change their tune if it was their own money on the table developing loss leading vehicles and ineffective marketing.
Old 24-09-2008, 02:47 PM   #24
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
hmmmm.. insightful...
pointless post of the year goes to..
Old 24-09-2008, 02:53 PM   #25
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
Pot. Kettle. Black.
Old 24-09-2008, 02:59 PM   #26
Fab
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is Ford's new President.

Old 24-09-2008, 03:05 PM   #27
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
You can't give yourself an award, it's just not fair.

As for the point of this thread let's hope he leads Ford Aus in the right direction.

Wonder if he is a fan of the I6 being from Geelong......
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 24-09-2008, 03:13 PM   #28
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

He has an interesting bio - worked all over the world - for Landrover in UK, head of Ford Small Cars in Europe, in the US ect. Lots of experience it seems.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
Old 24-09-2008, 03:48 PM   #29
TadKa
Wait? What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Pot. Kettle. Black.
lol, too true.
Old 24-09-2008, 03:49 PM   #30
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Who is this Malcom Turnbill?

Are you referring to the next Prime Minister of Australia, Malcolm Turnbull MP?

Or are you trying to sneak in a political swipe and think by misspelling the name you will get away with it?

Or do you have no idea at all and are trying to look clever to your comrades?

You are not allowed to make party political statements on AFF.
Closed Thread