Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-12-2008, 12:02 AM   #1
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 60 years holden tv show/adv

MAte made me sit thru this one hour advertisement on sat arvo.
What caught my attention was News Lteds car reviewer Paul Gover being interviewed, absolutely gushing about how great Holdens were, how much better than their competitors etc.

one comment
All of the greatest moments of my life have been linked to holdens (or words to that effect.

Now how can that man claim to be unbiased journalist orimpartial car reviewer? How much was he paid by holden?

Ok perhaps he aint getting paid but I think he has clearly showed he is incapable of being fair in his reporting.

bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2008, 12:07 AM   #2
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Yeah I caught the end of it, remember it was designed to celebrate Holden's 60th anniversary.

So I gotta ask, did Ford Australia have a show for their 75th anniversary in 2000?
Old 07-12-2008, 12:08 AM   #3
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

YES for did have a 75 years show.. Ive got the DVD.

I watched the Holden one today it was interesting....
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2008, 12:10 AM   #4
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit

Nice quick reply!

Was it any good? worth getting?
Old 07-12-2008, 12:13 AM   #5
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

yeh, you can get it from big w for like 7 bucks!

Had alot of the old FORD marketing / tv commercials, which were good for a laugh...
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2008, 06:40 AM   #6
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holden really hit a winner with that show today, I was watching it thinking, man those guys on the Ford forum will be having a big fit tonight about why Ford don't do something like this. I was a pretty lavish advertisement they even threw in the full length Meat pies, Kangaroos and Holden cars add from the 70s. And had a fair section on the carreer of P. Brock, how great the GTR-X Torana would have been and how it was a huge mistake not to build it. Super rare footage of the Hurrcane concept. Footage of Holden building cars back almost before time itself. Half the country will be running around whistling meat pies kangaroos and Holden cars for the next week
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2008, 09:15 AM   #7
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:

I also have this DVD. For Ford's 75th anniversary, they also held a massive street show in Geelong.

All makes and model's were on display from Eastern Beach right back to the FDC and beyond.

The main meet point was Ford Headquarter's, Melbourne, then onto the Proving Ground's at the You Yangs where the public could cruise the High Speed Circuit, but with a speed limit of 60km/h. Then down to Geelong Waterfront.

It was a huge day with some big name's attending. Allan Moffat for one.

Adam.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:34 PM   #8
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgia
I also have this DVD. For Ford's 75th anniversary, they also held a massive street show in Geelong.

All makes and model's were on display from Eastern Beach right back to the FDC and beyond.

The main meet point was Ford Headquarter's, Melbourne, then onto the Proving Ground's at the You Yangs where the public could cruise the High Speed Circuit, but with a speed limit of 60km/h. Then down to Geelong Waterfront.

It was a huge day with some big name's attending. Allan Moffat for one.

Adam.

That craps on a one hour infomercial. Didn't even know it was on....oh wait couldn't care less.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:45 PM   #9
GTP290

I was watching Jamie Whincup win the championship for Ford at the same time the 60th anniversary Holden show was on, talk about raining on Holdens parade! LOL
Old 07-12-2008, 02:46 PM   #10
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77
MAte made me sit thru this one hour advertisement on sat arvo.
What caught my attention was News Lteds car reviewer Paul Gover being interviewed, absolutely gushing about how great Holdens were, how much better than their competitors etc.

one comment
All of the greatest moments of my life have been linked to holdens (or words to that effect.

Now how can that man claim to be unbiased journalist orimpartial car reviewer? How much was he paid by holden?

Ok perhaps he aint getting paid but I think he has clearly showed he is incapable of being fair in his reporting.
Probably on the GM payroll :
Old 07-12-2008, 02:50 PM   #11
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldn't mind seeing the ford dvd. Anywhere i can get it from?
JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2008, 03:25 PM   #12
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51RTE
Probably on the GM payroll :
NO! But he does get a new car each year.

So much for impartiality. But we all knew that that isn't in Gover's CV
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2008, 03:42 PM   #13
danets

football, meat pies, kangaroos and holden cars, they all go together. haha nice. my cars fallen apart so many times but i still love it. its a FORD too. at least with the holden badge they outlined the problem.
go
ford aus in they're 83 year.
go
danets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2008, 03:45 PM   #14
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I saw the bit where some bloke was going on about Holden being a "truly Aussie car company" .... HUH? .... and here I was the whole time thinking the Yanks owned the whole joint! .... and maybe the Indian's next year .... if it's still around by then?
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2008, 03:45 PM   #15
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

lol @ Holden hitting 60 years but Ford has been here for 83....hmmm...yeah Holden is more Aussie :
Old 07-12-2008, 05:01 PM   #16
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holden has been here longer than Ford I believe.

However, they didn't start producing cars until much, much later.

Wikipedia is your friend (mine too!)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2008, 05:37 PM   #17
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO
I wouldn't mind seeing the ford dvd. Anywhere i can get it from?
Ezydvd. Click here mate > http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/3271
It is currently out of stock there but you could try some other retailers.
Adam.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:11 PM   #18
68XTFairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Holden has been here longer than Ford I believe.

However, they didn't start producing cars until much, much later.

Wikipedia is your friend (mine too!)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden
Unfortunately Wikipedia isn't always correct as it is onl as accurate as the knowledge of the person adding the listing.

Holdens were a coach building company origionally and started importing cars into the country and assembling them here.

Anyhow I lead myself off track there, Holdens hasn't been a solely Australian Car Manufacturer since the very early days if ever at all yet they boast themselves as being Australian pffft

on that note anyone wanna buy a really nice VT SS?? lmao
Old 07-12-2008, 07:18 PM   #19
WindsorXR
FGII XR6, Focus Sport, XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
Holden really hit a winner with that show today, I was watching it thinking, man those guys on the Ford forum will be having a big fit tonight about why Ford don't do something like this......
Umm...Ford did do a 1 hour episode shown for the FG with that crap show "Test drive" The whole thing was pretty much only about the G6E. Was OK though.

2011 Purple FGII XR6
2016 LZ Focus Sport

BA XR8 Build Thread (SOLD)
1966 XR Falcon Build Thread
WindsorXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2008, 07:46 PM   #20
Bossxr8
Peter Car

2010 will be a big year for Ford. Falcon turns 50, and the company itself will turn 85. I'd assume 50th anniversary Falcons will be produced as a special edition to move old stock before the series 2 FG is released.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2008, 07:48 PM   #21
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
2010 will be a big year for Ford. Falcon turns 50, and the company itself will turn 85. I'd assume 50th anniversary Falcons will be produced as a special edition to move old stock before the series 2 FG is released.
50th anniversary GT-HO V10???

Had to be said!
Old 07-12-2008, 07:55 PM   #22
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

i swapped channels during an ad break of V8 supercars and saw this holden ad (which is exactly what it is....). I thought to myself, hmmm, wonder which sells more cars, Ford winning V8 supercar championship (and dominating all year largely) or Holden running this hour long ad. The answer....niether!

As noted, Ford has done a similar thing, but holden has certainly leveraged its 'aniversaries' moreso in recent times. I don't know how many 'such and such anviersary commodore' i've heard about recently, but it aint helping them make any modey. Its a bit like the emperor fiddling while rome burns.....they have 240 days supply of US pontiacs, cars stockpiled in australia all over the place and their parent company is the most rooted of all the bankrupt US car makers. Oh yeah, that was worth the cash. That bit about being australian was a bit rich with the very yank sounding GM mark reuss!!!

Reality is it costs Holden money to make those programs (though most of that was a VE decumentary rehash with the same presenter/production company), and pay to have their aired. People that watch it are either holden fans already or at best say, oh yeah, good on you holden than go buy a Mazda or Toyota anyway. At least Ford doesn't have to pay much for Whincup to win a champtionship (well nothing next year), he doesn't get paid more if he wins or not.

Good on you holden on surviving 60 years (just), don't like your chances for the next 60....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2008, 08:16 PM   #23
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
Good on you holden on surviving 60 years (just), don't like your chances for the next 60....
I wouldn't be too much of a smarty there. Neither Ford or GMHolden are safe.
If survival was that easy, nobody would close down.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2008, 08:23 PM   #24
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
I wouldn't be too much of a smarty there. Neither Ford or GMHolden are safe.
If survival was that easy, nobody would close down.
Yes i certainly do realise that. My comment was moreso tongue in cheek regarding their business practices. Locally (and globally) ford has shrunk alot, sold off assets, fired workers etc. Tough decisions but it is pretty much the only reasons we are not quite as buggered as GM.

Our friends at holden on the other hand (with biased media in tow) have spread and continue to perpetuate this myth all is well. That they are a great aussie company (true) that has a rosy future (not true).

I'm not saying Ford is safe (we all know it isn't) but at least we aren't in la la land. If i hear another Holden fan tell me 'you are buggered' i'll go crazy...., you first my friends, you first.....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2008, 10:34 AM   #25
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My problem wasnt with the show. Typical Sat arvo paid advertorial stuff on a commercial Tv network is OK.

My problem was with the gushing love of Holden professed by a so called independant car reviewer on a car companoes Tv commercial.

"Im Paul Glover, I test and review all cars fairly and tell you honestly which car is best and you should spend yor money on. But I LOVE Holdens, I appear onthis paid Holden commercial coz everything wonderful in my life is tied to Holden. Next week i will give you a true report on the new Ford or Toyota or Mitsubishi competitor to Holden."

I wonder if 380s would have sold better if people like Paul G(mh-L)over hadnt of told everyone it was terrible comapred to commodore. How many people lost jobs because of that Paul?

In other news Im expecting to see his report in carsguide.
"Holden triumph in V8sc Championship. In yet another death blow to the struggling Falcon, Ford fans this week are shatterd after their heros were shamed by Holdens masterful triumph to take 3rd in this years championship.

Fords inability to claim the much desired 3rd spot will only be slightly eased by the consolation prize of 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th and 6th..."
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2008, 11:14 AM   #26
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
50th anniversary GT-HO V10???

Had to be said!
6.2 V8 could be a reality though. Could even be a 7L. Yes, old news, but the rumors of it's cancellation keep circulating. The existence of the "Premium" (formerly known as Boss, Hurricane), has been confirmed by Ford. Not only that, there are videos of the Raptor with that engine.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2008, 12:57 PM   #27
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
"Holden triumph in V8sc Championship. In yet another death blow to the struggling Falcon, Ford fans this week are shatterd after their heros were shamed by Holdens masterful triumph to take 3rd in this years championship.

Fords inability to claim the much desired 3rd spot will only be slightly eased by the consolation prize of 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th and 6th..."
That should be the Ford Ad. !!!! ... well maybe more like this:

With video clips of holdens passing Fords, then progressively to Fords passing holdens from the series this year

"Ford Australia would like to congratulate General Motors - Holden for their triumph in V8sc Championship. In a fantastic effort they won the last race and the last round. And managed an impressive 3rd and 7th in the Championship. second in the Manufacturer's Championship, 4th and 6th in the teams championship.
Video Clips fade to a lineup of drivers beside cars for all the Fords in the Top 10, quickly zooming on each one with is position in the championship.

Hmmm ... then the Ford Fingers running in the backgroud, quickly inverting (into a V for victory - dunno what you were thinking)
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2008, 01:00 PM   #28
Biggav
On the search for cubes..

Quote:
yeh, you can get it from big w for like 7 bucks!

Had alot of the old FORD marketing / tv commercials, which were good for a laugh...
HAHA yeh when ford did advertise the stuff they were flogging off.

Current Projects
ED SOHC 3v 5.4 Cammed 5.4 3V Garage Ornament Project
Project Brimstone XE Wagon Phase 6 powered by Coyote

Long Gone Projects
EA Falcon SOHC 4.0 237rwhp
BA 3V 'The Taxi' DJR320 Kit, G6ET Wheels, Lunati Voodoo Cams 320rwhp
Biggav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2008, 06:38 PM   #29
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
In other news Im expecting to see his report in carsguide.

I'm thinking more a 10 page article on skaife and how it was sad to see the nose go and whatever else (to see how far up paul head will fit in skaifes bum). Then there will be a tiny qtr of the page article about how Whincup won but there was controversy over the whole aero on Fords and make it sound like Holden was hard done by.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:56 PM   #30
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
I'm thinking more a 10 page article on skaife and how it was sad to see the nose go and whatever else (to see how far up paul head will fit in skaifes bum). Then there will be a tiny qtr of the page article about how Whincup won but there was controversy over the whole aero on Fords and make it sound like Holden was hard done by.
Not far off in reality, Today's Herald Sun had a whole page article on Skaife's wonderful drive on Sunday and how sad it is he is retiring, anybody would swear that he won the race, when you actually had to read between the lines to find out that he came 11th. Then the next page was all about Tander, and how great his year's been, and then a small article about Whincup and Lowndes, in which Gover still managed to get in a small dig about the fact that 'Lowndes hasn't won a championship since defecting form Holden'. This blokes bias is seriously starting to show even more than before.