Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-01-2009, 09:49 PM   #1
guy351
Mr EFicient

Default advice needed

hey there all im not sure if this is the right place to put this but here it goes.
my beloved EF falcon recently got defected by mr plod and i was just wonderin if he was makin things up to get me off the street for a while.
the car got done for
1: pod filter which i know is illegal
2: an unsecure sound system, 4 subs sitting on wooden boards in the boot, apparenty they would fly out of the boot in an accident.
3: rims were too big. he explained that if the car come factory fitted with 15's then you can only go up or down 2 inches eg 17's but i have 18's

i have had advice from a friend who is studying law that this is crap is he telling the truth or should i just pay the fine and get over it.

Au II Xr8- boss bonnet bulge with shaker, koni adjustables all round, short shifter, roller rockers, injectors, big cam, 70mm tb, snyper tune,5 spd manual with 4.11s and true trac and much more to come
guy351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2009, 09:56 PM   #2
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

The Police were exactly right, you got done and you have no recourse.

You'll have to cough up and cop it.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2009, 09:59 PM   #3
Stumper
Clevo Datto

Hey mate, bad luck with the sticker, 1&2 are correct but 3 I'm not sure because I built my cortina 9 months ago and it passed the pits with 17's when the car originally had 13's, all that was required was that the rolling diameter was the same. original was 175/75/13 for cortina and with 205/40/17 it was the same rolling diameter. But I do live in WA so it may be completly different.

have fun cheers
Stumper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2009, 10:09 PM   #4
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Tickford package gave it 16's, so wouldn't it be 2 inches above what was available on the car?
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2009, 10:18 PM   #5
747jet
2 4 turning 2 4 burning

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy351
hey there all im not sure if this is the right place to put this but here it goes.
my beloved EF falcon recently got defected by mr plod and i was just wonderin if he was makin things up to get me off the street for a while.
the car got done for
1: pod filter which i know is illegal
2: an unsecure sound system, 4 subs sitting on wooden boards in the boot, apparenty they would fly out of the boot in an accident.
3: rims were too big. he explained that if the car come factory fitted with 15's then you can only go up or down 2 inches eg 17's but i have 18's

i have had advice from a friend who is studying law that this is crap is he telling the truth or should i just pay the fine and get over it.
mate a ef came out with 16 inch wheels so you can go to a 18inch and still be roadworthy and the rims should be no bigger than 8 inchers wide
747jet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2009, 10:23 PM   #6
guy351
Mr EFicient

the rims are 8.5's wide i think ill hav to look but i do remember him sayin something about the rolling diameter, and on the car it says that it came stock with 15's. thanks for the advice anyway it just seemes like a strange rule.
Au II Xr8- boss bonnet bulge with shaker, koni adjustables all round, short shifter, roller rockers, injectors, big cam, 70mm tb, snyper tune,5 spd manual with 4.11s and true trac and much more to come
Old 09-01-2009, 10:30 PM   #7
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

An as for the subbie's knew a fella in bendigo had a crashed the woofer flew out of the boot took off his right ear and stuck in the tree . Another inch to the left and the woofer would not be stuck in that tree . I know the chances a pretty slim but it does happen
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2009, 11:46 PM   #8
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

By Vicroads it is 1.75" larger, not 2".
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2009, 02:28 PM   #9
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Did vicroads just change the rules again??
Sure it was 1" (wider) a few months ago.
Argh!

They mostly talked rim width not the rim diameter. ???
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2009, 06:18 PM   #10
J_Tank
Bring on the Boss

Guy351 is in NSW.. which allows for an increase of 2'' in wheel diameter, and they'll go off the sticker on the car; potentially the rolling diameter may be different regardless. I'm in NSW mate and they got you on all three. Be careful with advice on these matters on the forums as regulations vary a fair bit from state to state. The NSW RTA website has everything, or at least links to everything you need to know.
J_Tank is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2009, 09:15 PM   #11
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In NSW it goes off the maximum rolling diameter, unless its changed in the last 12months, according to the ADR Rim & Tyre Guide i have. You can legally change up above the ' 2" Rule' as long as the total rolling diameter is not altered by more than 15mm + or -

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2009, 07:35 PM   #12
guy351
Mr EFicient

went in to see a mechanic friend today who does pink slips so that he could sign the car off and he said that they were wrong to book me for all three things, (forgot to mention that he also got me for having a bald spare) so i rang up the RTA technical and they agreed with me that he was in the wrong in booking me 3 of the four things, so i am now going to write to the comissoner and possibly take it to court. Just thought id let use know how it was going
Old 12-01-2009, 09:57 PM   #13
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy351
went in to see a mechanic friend today who does pink slips so that he could sign the car off and he said that they were wrong to book me for all three things, (forgot to mention that he also got me for having a bald spare) so i rang up the RTA technical and they agreed with me that he was in the wrong in booking me 3 of the four things, so i am now going to write to the comissoner and possibly take it to court. Just thought id let use know how it was going
If you somehow manage to get out of them I will be very surprised and also unimpressed. Subs sitting on boards in the boot for gods sake.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:02 PM   #14
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yea tae it to cort thats the way and tell him how he picked on you for driving on a bauld spare

man your talking crazy talk clear it and move on

I'm taking a punt here but I dont supose you were a smart ar5e to the thin blue line and thats why he picked you for a few things???

just a hunch

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2009, 10:05 PM   #15
gz1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
If you somehow manage to get out of them I will be very surprised and also unimpressed. Subs sitting on boards in the boot for gods sake.
I may be wrong here, but "in the boot" means like luggage, right. With teh boot lid closed. No chance of them flying up and hitting anything, unless you drive with the boot lid open.
gz1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2009, 10:37 PM   #16
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

four subs in the boot, so you one of the young fellas driving around with fully sick subs booming, giving ford a bad name?
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 12:11 AM   #17
bennyk351

Default move on

As the Yeti said .Get the defect cleared and move on.My brother got done for being too loud in a quey ute.When he went to clear the defect the bloke told him that his car was pre pollution,but copped it on the chin anyway,Lucky that was the only thing they pinned him for really :sm_headba
bennyk351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 12:30 PM   #18
AUIIForte

Quote:
Originally Posted by gz1
I may be wrong here, but "in the boot" means like luggage, right. With teh boot lid closed. No chance of them flying up and hitting anything, unless you drive with the boot lid open.
100% agree with that. Its just like luggage sitting in the boot. I cant see anything wrong with that.
AUIIForte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 12:31 PM   #19
AUIIForte

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
yea tae it to cort thats the way and tell him how he picked on you for driving on a bauld spare
He said he was done for having a bold spare, not for driving on one.

And he has every right to take it to court if he believes that the police was unfair and wrong.

If you're taking a punt like you stated and you think you deserved it, then that's completely different then this OP. I wish people where more understanding.
AUIIForte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 01:16 PM   #20
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Pretty sure you can get away with no spare, but must be roadworthy if it is in the boot and must have the hold-down clamped.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 03:46 PM   #21
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

on a side note having subs sitting "loose" in the boot space greatly reduces their output potential, bolting them in will make your system much much louder and your speakers will last longer

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 04:16 PM   #22
Wally
XP Coupe

Is this still current?

What are the rules when it comes to loading goods into a boot/trunk?
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 04:41 PM   #23
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dont waste your time. He only needs 1 item to defect you.... and you know atleast 2 are correct (pod and bald tyre).
Weather any of the others are valid or not makes no difference, you can work it out with the guy who does the roadworthy...

Old 13-01-2009, 05:14 PM   #24
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcxr
Pretty sure you can get away with no spare, but must be roadworthy if it is in the boot and must have the hold-down clamped.
Rubbish
So what if I was carrying two slicks in the boot for a track day? they can ping me for unroadworthy spares?
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 05:27 PM   #25
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also RTA doesnt have a rule for wheel size increase like Victoria. There is no +2 rule.

According to this article, you cant change the track by more than 25mm.
A tyre/rim width increase of 26mm over the largest manufacturer recommended is allowed (as long as it doesnt foul suspension, brakes or bodywork) (225 on EFs - so 245s would be fine)
A tyre/rim diameter cant be increased by more than 15mm, now thats an overall size increase, not a rim increase. There is nothing in that article about a maximum rim only size over standard.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...vsi09_rev4.pdf
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 05:37 PM   #26
ehast13
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1). Were the back seats folded down while you were playing muzak through your subs?

This would create a clear safety issue. The same applies for people who put socket sets on their rear parcel shelf.

2). As the subs are considered part of the car (assuming you had them connected and were 'doof doofing' your way 'round the hood, puttin the sizzle on yo dizzle wit da ho's, while ma peeps were all up in yo' face, dawg...... but, I digress)

As I was saying, assuming the subs were connected, they are considered part of the car and need to be secured.

3). If the law in your state says u can increase rim dia by 2 inches then you need to present your ford owners' manual to the officer's station and point out the optional 16 rims available on the ef. It would be wise to put this in writing and provide a copy of the owners' manual info along with your objection. You may get this dropped B4 a court appearance.

I would suggest paying up for the pod filter and the subs.

You could argue that the sub's weren't connected and that you were just transporting them from one place to another (but I don't think you were - and the cop will say he saw them clearly connected).

You can download legislation re rims in your state. If you want me to write a letter for you re the rims (assuming the law in your state is 2 inches NOT one inch as per some states), please pm me with your state regs and I'll knock out a draft for you.
ehast13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 06:46 PM   #27
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Also RTA doesnt have a rule for wheel size increase like Victoria. There is no +2 rule.

According to this article, you cant change the track by more than 25mm.
A tyre/rim width increase of 26mm over the largest manufacturer recommended is allowed (as long as it doesnt foul suspension, brakes or bodywork) (225 on EFs - so 245s would be fine)
A tyre/rim diameter cant be increased by more than 15mm, now thats an overall size increase, not a rim increase. There is nothing in that article about a maximum rim only size over standard.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrat.../vsi09_rev4.pdf
Yes I think most of us knew that. In Qld you can go even smaller than the plus minus 15mm rule.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 10:07 PM   #28
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if all this was picked and as I was corrected the spare was bauld so not visable, why was he pulled over, Ive been pulled over countless times (always for good reason, I was a teen hoon) but I only got defected for one valid thing at a time. why casue I wasnt a smart ar_se, sure if they had have gone over things with a fine tooth come my ute should have been left road side but I learnt not to back chat, cop it sweet and move on, so I was too low cop the canery (it matched the paint)

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 10:46 PM   #29
VioletGT
Slow Sunday driver

just take it mate... those things are very minor, put the stockies on and a standard airbox, clear it and dont go to lapa pumping bass on sundays...
VioletGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 09:20 PM   #30
guy351
Mr EFicient

i would normally just let it slide but i need a cleanish driving record for my future job. and i have also learned not to give lip to the police as it only makes the situation worse. and just to clear things up the tyre was in the boot not on the car and it isnt a rule that you even have to have a spare tyre, as for the subs i wasnt pumping them as it makes you look like a looser around town so they were turned off (and the back seats were up). i will gladly pay the fine for the pod as i know it is illegal but the other three are wrong. as many of you have stated the rim size doesnt matter as long as you dont go over or under 15mm of the original rim, when i was pulled up the cop didnt even measure the rim+tyre he just sigted it but it is within legal size.