Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-02-2009, 12:25 AM   #1
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default changing spark plugs + leads

Ive finally gotten off my *** and have started to change my spark plugs with some brand new NGK Iridums and the magnacore leads from the group buy. Started not too long after work, about 7:30, ive gotten up to plug number 4 where ive run into a problem, and its gotten too dark to keep going so will continue in the morning.
Ok, the problem is, while trying to get the old top gun lead of the plug, the cable has snapped off the boot, then after failing to get a good enough grip on the boot, i tried to use pliers which just cut the boot in half, lol.
I swear whoever replaced the leads previously, didnt use any grease on the boot and now its stuck to the plug. What would you do, only things i can think of, is WD40 the boot and plug and try and wiggle and pull whats left of the boot off, or try twist whats left of the boot to try and uncrew it and the plug in one piece, or hack the rest of the boot off so i can get to the sparkplug.

heres a photo of the old spark plugs, they were pretty dirty, but they were a pain to get out, already got some bad cuts on my fingers from getting them out, lol:

Also, just so i dont make the mistake, is it leads 1-6 from the back to the front, or from the front to the back?

bloggs24 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 12:27 AM   #2
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

I always get a screwdriver in between the block and the boot to pry it off. Doesn't damage anything (if you're careful) and it breaks the seal.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 12:44 AM   #3
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

6 is at the back.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 01:58 AM   #4
sooty43

and 1 is at the front
sooty43 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 11:09 AM   #5
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

If you can cut/rip the boot down to the top of the plug then a plug socket minus the rubber core should still fit over the plug enough to get a bite on it .

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 12:11 PM   #6
BOTTLEDUP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seeing as the leads are being replaced, slice down the length of the boot with a box cutter or razor blade. Then peel the remains of the boot off. You will most likely need those pliers again to get the terminal off the plug end. Putting a little zinc oxide grease on the boot prior to installing will help them come off next time you change the plugs. If you have any dramas with the lead install PM me.

-Dave
BOTTLEDUP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 03:03 PM   #7
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok, all the old plugs are out, and new ones in, im now going to do the leads, just a quick clarification, from what i can see, all the old leads had 90 degree boots on the other end, but with these magnacore ones, only a few have the 90 degree boot, id this alrights, and they shold all still fit?

BTW realised i forgot to disconect the battery, should i do it, or is it fine to keep going?
Old 27-02-2009, 03:54 PM   #8
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in the mean time im trying to fit the ones with the 90 degree boots, but it seems that the space of the boot is too small and wont fit over the coil but then again its a very hard place to work on, ill keep trying, is this normal?
Old 27-02-2009, 04:40 PM   #9
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sry for the triple post, but i couldnt edit.

Ive just did a bit of research, and it seems the AU1 has a different coil compared to the AU2/3.

AU 1:

AU 2:

1. Am i right in assuming that ive gotten leads which were made for the AU1?
2. And still would like to know if leads 1 and 2 should are supposed to have straight boots on both sides
3. the cable/metal terminal inside the boot on lead 6 is too deep and is not coming into contact with the spark plug.
4. Just a little annoyance, some of the leads have the boots on the wrong side, so the writing on some are back to front.

I'd like to get some confirmations, and maybe get some replies to those involved with the group buy to work out what to do now, if they need to be sent back, i dont have a problem with that, the car will be stuck on the front yard for a few days but i can deal with that. I might even get a replacement coil pack in the mean time.
Anybody able to anwer some of the questions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 28-02-2009, 02:49 AM   #10
Firebell AU3SR

I think you may have AU1 leads, the boots for AU2/3 are shorter and wider to fit coil.All should be 90 degree.
Firebell AU3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 10:22 PM   #11
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok, leads are going to get sent back tomorow and all will be fixed thanks to bottledup.