Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-04-2009, 02:09 PM   #1
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Question Solution to australian job issues

As we are all aware, a large part of the the Australian media has pounced on the issues GM and to a lesser extent Ford appear to be having with money.

I have not done enough research to determine if this is true, but if it is then there may be some issues with a sudden and massive decline in Australian employment.

My question is, would you vote for a proposal by the the Australian Government to severely increase the price (import tax, whatever) of new imported cars to match the approximate price of our frankly much better locally built cars?

Not only would this increase new car sales in Australia for Ford and Holden and provide a lot of Australians with better job security, but it would help remove at least some of the Korean pussbuckets off our roads that (to me at least) are nothing more then an eyesore.

Anyone looking to purchase a new Hyundai would then be better off buying a second hand Aussie car, which would support sales of new Aussie cars even more.

All the current imported cars already in the country would still be allowed to be sold new or second hand as before, so unless they are quality stuff they will rot and deteriorate into history.

If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.

Last edited by 388cube_edxr8; 15-04-2009 at 02:10 PM. Reason: dammit how do i make it a poll?
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 02:19 PM   #2
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 388cube_edxr8
As we are all aware, a large part of the the Australian media has pounced on the issues GM and to a lesser extent Ford appear to be having with money.

I have not done enough research to determine if this is true, but if it is then there may be some issues with a sudden and massive decline in Australian employment.

My question is, would you vote for a proposal by the the Australian Government to severely increase the price (import tax, whatever) of new imported cars to match the approximate price of our frankly much better locally built cars?

Not only would this increase new car sales in Australia for Ford and Holden and provide a lot of Australians with better job security, but it would help remove at least some of the Korean pussbuckets off our roads that (to me at least) are nothing more then an eyesore.

Anyone looking to purchase a new Hyundai would then be better off buying a second hand Aussie car, which would support sales of new Aussie cars even more.

All the current imported cars already in the country would still be allowed to be sold new or second hand as before, so unless they are quality stuff they will rot and deteriorate into history.
No, I'd like to be able to choose what ever car I like, so if the locals can't make a good product that matches the opposition in quality/price, then so be it. It should be the other way, government subsidises Australian cars to bring them down to the same price as the imports.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 02:20 PM   #3
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

The Government doesn't see the local Automotive manufacturing industry as imperative to Australia. It's not in their interest to over protect it as they make massive tax revenue that comes with the increased sales of luxury cars etc.

They are actually reducing import tariffs, so things will only get tougher for the locals.

Some would argue that it is of the responsibility of the businesses, ie, our manufacturers to remain competitive and supply the consumer with cars they want and price point that is competitive also.

I personally think that a wake up call was needed for the locals... they were stagnant, not keeping up with the rest of the world and not moving quick enough and now they have been found out. Government has thrown them lifelines but the manufacturers must take the blame and must now dig themselves out of the hole that they got themselves into.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 02:27 PM   #4
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Until something is done about the appaling pay rates and working conditions in certain foreign countries, no manufacturing industry in Australia will be able to compete.

With many of those countries stuck in "honor" and the "tradition" of not allowing people to make what they can for themselves (rather, forcing on them the same fate that their parents were subjected to), don't expect to see the problem resolved any time soon.
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 02:30 PM   #5
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmelon
Until something is done about the appaling pay rates and working conditions in certain foreign countries, no manufacturing industry in Australia will be able to compete.

With many of those countries stuck in "honor" and the "tradition" of not allowing people to make what they can for themselves (rather, forcing on them the same fate that their parents were subjected to), don't expect to see the problem resolved any time soon.
As someone else suggested, one global government
Quote:

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Old 15-04-2009, 02:30 PM   #6
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
No, I'd like to be able to choose what ever car I like, so if the locals can't make a good product that matches the opposition in quality/price, then so be it. It should be the other way, government subsidises Australian cars to bring them down to the same price as the imports.
I agree that thats the way it should work, but that will cost the Govt money, and raising import taxes wont (or should'nt)

good quality imports already cost the same or more then Aussie cars, so these would not be affected.

Aussie cars cost more then Korean crap because they are better. People who buy cars based on TV ads don't understand that, so we need to show them that a 10 year old well maintained Falcon is nicer than a 10 day old Kia Rio. NEW does not always equal GOOD.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
Old 15-04-2009, 02:30 PM   #7
Hally

To the OP,

Really, you do not have a clue.
Hally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 02:34 PM   #8
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hally
To the OP,

Really, you do not have a clue.
That's the point of asking, Einstein.
Old 15-04-2009, 02:36 PM   #9
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I agree that thats the way it should work, but that will cost the Govt money, and raising import taxes wont (or should'nt)

good quality imports already cost the same or more then Aussie cars, so these would not be affected.

Aussie cars cost more then Korean crap because they are better. People who buy cars based on TV ads don't understand that, so we need to show them that a 10 year old well maintained Falcon is nicer than a 10 day old Kia Rio. NEW does not always equal GOOD.
Raise taxes as a whole then, you'd pay for the subsidy out of your own pocket, everyone would. Therefore you still have the same choice of import or local product, but now the local product is cheaper, just that you pay more taxes. Sure people won't like paying higher taxes but put it this way, it'll help Australian manufacturing survive a bit longer and keep more Aussies in jobs.
Quote:

Old 15-04-2009, 02:46 PM   #10
Deech
Making smalltorque

I don't think it'd work. It's even been said here on the forums to never get between an Australian and money.

If the Government acted to lift tarrifs, the media would react thusly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive.com.au
In the face of a tough global economic climate, the Government has acted to make buying a new car even tougher. From July 1st, Australians opting for foreign made cars will be penalised another 5% of the purchase price. The government would not comment on whether the price of a Holden Commodore would increase 4.5%, owing to the number of American parts in it. More than [insert unsourced statistic] Australians are employed in the new car sales industry, and experts fear that any action to decrease vehicle sales would spell their final marching orders, in an already instable industry.

Doctor Thommo from the Royal Shepparton Tavern/Centre for impromptu research had this to say "I'd support it, only if the profits would be spent giving every Australian a W427 and a carcoon, so that guaranteed retirement security would be provided by its sure appreciation". Doctor Thommo, also pointed out that we had gone 10 lines without a Ford bash, which is totally true, so here's one: A couple of Territory's blew their brakes, and once, in the 80's, Josh Dowling's dog got run over by a new XD.
Doctor Thommo pointed to these incidents, suggesting that the new tarrif would force drivers into unsafe Fords. "I could only support the bill if the profits went to Holden, so they could make real on all of the projects that are totally upcoming. Like the new AWD TT Torana they keep speculating about, or LI LPG HSV's, and the Coupe 60 going into production. And maybe we'd have enough left over to get the VF commodore out by 2012, with an even smaller boot optional on the sportswagon." The heads of Mitsubishi and Toyota Australia were unavailable for comment as the former had had his company driven bankrupt by negative perceptions we the media were responsible for, and the latter had been literally bored to death after taking a new Camry for a drive.
When your engine bay catches alight, you try and convince the police that it came that way from the factory. They believe you and leave.

Last edited by Deech; 15-04-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Deech is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 02:50 PM   #11
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:

In short, NO I wouldn't vote for an increase in tax on imported cars.
It isn't fair to penalise people for the years of incompetence by management of these organisations. The cars are already subsidised by the government enough.

Protectionism isn't going to help the industry (and it is so out dated), they are simply not listening to the public and continue to shelve out cars no one wants anymore. The tax will just ensure they continue to do this and provide no incentive to produce better cars. Competition will always better the product.

If anything the government should provide assistance to the organisations through innovation and efficiency projects, to try and encourage Ford and Holden to produce better cars, cars that the public want and to be able to compete on the global scale.

Simply put, taxes won't fix the underlying issues.
Old 15-04-2009, 02:51 PM   #12
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The quicker the media goes and dies, and news papers stop being produced the better.
Quote:

Old 15-04-2009, 03:05 PM   #13
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
The quicker the media goes and dies, and news papers stop being produced the better.
How about we replace Newspapers with Factpapers, and remove Today Tonight, and A Current Affair can be about your neighbor and that hot MILF across the street. Then we can say goodbye to the 'financial crisis' and 'global warming' and get back to whats really important, keeping Aussie jobs and burning pointless amounts of unrenewable petrol. Sorry if that sounded sarcastic but I really feel that way and I reckon it should help quite a bit. Anyone else agree?
Old 15-04-2009, 03:07 PM   #14
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry mate but petrol is renewable....
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 03:13 PM   #15
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

You get the point.
Old 15-04-2009, 03:20 PM   #16
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why should someone be penalised for buying a Korean built car with extra taxes if thats all he/she can afford.

Why should someone be penalised with extra taxes if they need a small runabout instead of a large family car or if they want something more economical.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 03:25 PM   #17
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Buy a second hand Mazda 3.

The idea is to limit new imports into the country, and yes, Henry and the General both need to make some popular cheap and cheerful cars. Something along the lines of the original Mini or Fiat 500 perhaps? I know new versions of those have been released, but all they share is the name. I'm talking about something impossibly cheep but still with modern quality and mass appeal.

Last edited by 388cube_edxr8; 15-04-2009 at 03:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 15-04-2009, 03:36 PM   #18
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How much for the MILF,now thats got to be better value.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 03:39 PM   #19
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Buy a second hand Mazda 3.

The idea is to limit new imports into the country, and yes, Henry and the General both need to make some popular cheap and cheerful cars. Something along the lines of the original Mini or Fiat 500 perhaps? I know new versions of those have been released, but all they share is the name. I'm talking about something impossibly cheep but still with modern quality and mass appeal.
So people are now forced to buy small 2nd hand cars such as the Mazda 3 because they dont want a large car, how is that going to help the manufacturers here?
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 03:40 PM   #20
Deech
Making smalltorque

Quote:
Something along the lines of the original Mini or Fiat 500 perhaps? I know new versions of those have been released, but all they share is the name. I'm talking about something impossibly cheep but still with modern quality and mass appeal.
Yeah, but if you compromise the prestige of your own brand, to sell a couple of no-frills rides, you kind of shoot yourself in the foot. Remember how much flack holden copped for making air-con optional in the VE Omega?

Ferrari only sell the best, and have no intention of cheapening their prestige to shift a few base models. Daewoo sell appliances, and have no prestige to speak of.

I think Ford want to be somewhere between the two
When your engine bay catches alight, you try and convince the police that it came that way from the factory. They believe you and leave.
Deech is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 03:42 PM   #21
DK30RB

Australian Built cars are not better than most imported cars. Yes they are better than some, but there are a lot of imported cars which i would choose over an Australian one when it comes to quality.

Can you imagine what would happen if imported cars cost more to buy, the local manufacturers would figure out that most people will by the local car because its all they can afford, so they'll cut corners to reduce their costs, make more money and give us an even crappier built local car.

Secondly due to the increased volumes most of the factories wouldn't be able to keep quality standards up, resulting in more quality problems.
DK30RB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 03:46 PM   #22
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3ts50
So people are now forced to buy small 2nd hand cars such as the Mazda 3 because they dont want a large car, how is that going to help the manufacturers here?
If they didn't want a large car in the first place, the local manufacturers are no worse off than they were before.

A demand for locally built small cars will develop, which will be filled buy local manufacturers. Aussies keep jobs, money stays in the country, everybody wins.

The best course of action would be for the Govt to announce plans for this new scheme with enough time to give Ford and Holden enough time to stamp out a few small and mid size locally built cars, even if its off foreign blueprints. The idea is to keep Aussies working.

I honestly can't see how this could possibly fail.
Old 15-04-2009, 03:54 PM   #23
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe if the Australian companies actually built some sort of small car, they might see some sales.
Quote:

Old 15-04-2009, 04:15 PM   #24
Wally
XP Coupe

The World Trade Organisation was established to deter countries inposing tariffs on imports. If Australia increased the tariffs on imported cars, the origin country would feel oblidged to tariff Australian imports into it's shores. Then we are repeating the pre WWII mistakes.

Employers are a little gun shy at the moment because forecasting is now more like crystal ball gazing and the new work reforms haven't been tested to see just how onerous they will be. This is putting the brakes on job creation locally and increased offshore production in countries with stricter political and civil controls. Cars are such a big pruchase, they are one of the first to feel the heat in such circumstances.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 04:19 PM   #25
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

That may be true, but what cars do we export to Korea and China?
Old 15-04-2009, 04:42 PM   #26
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Raise tarrifs again on imported cars to price them out of the market? I'd guarantee the local manufacturers would then raise the price of their own models and/or reduce the quality of their cars.

Buying 2nd hand cars also doesn't help local manufacturers.

If local manufacturers want my money then they need to build a car that I want at a fair price.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 04:49 PM   #27
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
If local manufacturers want my money then they need to build a car that I want at a fair price.
The Falcon/Commo might not be the car for you but in terms of price they're actually quite good for the money.
Old 15-04-2009, 04:54 PM   #28
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
We export these kind of 'cars'

We export alot more than we import, we cant afford to become protectionist

2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 05:07 PM   #29
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
None directly, SAIC makes a version of the Statesman in China which is called a Buick Royale.

You need to look beyond tariffs applying to a particular industry; if we increased tariffs on Korean and Japanese cars, either country could respond in kind by placing tariffs on our exports of meat/livestock/wheat/ore etc, which would make other exporters more of a viable position.

For instance place a tariff on Japanese cars, and our largest trading parter (or 2nd largest depending on the time of day and China's orders) might turn around and place a tariff on our beef exports, resulting in an oportunity for Brazillian exporters of South American meat to provide the same quality product for a cheaper price.

Regardless, as I said in the other thread, I do not believe that my buying choices should be limited any further by any government; protectionism in the automotive industry is a stupid concept to protect an alledgedly inferior local industry that has been mismanaged in that it has failed to have in place proper product planning.

Unfortunately, our big three severly misread the market back in 1999-2001; now they are paying the price and playing catch-up to the rest of the world in nearly every area of the needs/wishes of today's car buyers, whether it be a low cost car (Hyundai), a quality car (usual German suspects, Toyota, Lexus), a low cost quality car (Honda Accord, Mazda, VW) or small SUV (CR-V, Xtrail, Forrester)
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 05:10 PM   #30
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why do people keep saying that Holden and Ford do not build what people want?

THE COMMODORE IS STILL THE HIGHEST SELLING CAR IN AUSTRALIA!!!!!!!!!
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post