Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-04-2009, 01:23 PM   #1
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Default Listen up Ford!

As was established in my last thread, Ford needs to locally produce more than just the Falcon, so that they can make some money and stay in business.

My idea is to create a thread where we the public can post some good ideas for some smaller, cheaper cars for people who like Ford but might not necessarily want a large car.

I'll kick things off. I was thinking like a smaller version of the Falcon with the Volvo 5-pot from the XR5 mounted in a mid size car with a RWD configuration. Call it the Cortina. Turbo and NA options would be available of course.

Also maybe something akin to the BMW 1 series, just long enough to be feesable as a RWD, with a good choice of 4 cylinder petrol and turbodiesel engines.

A modern take on the old FWD Capri should sell pretty good too I reckon.

All of these would be locally built with minimal imported parts to keep Aussies in jobs.

Anybody got any others?

If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.

Last edited by 388cube_edxr8; 16-04-2009 at 01:25 PM. Reason: spelling
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

I'd reckon the Focus that is to be built here from 2011 IIRC would be enough.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 01:30 PM   #3
WindsorXR
FGII XR6, Focus Sport, XR

Making a brand new model at this time would nearly put Ford Aus under i think.

If i want a small car, RWD, for around $20,000 mark. I'd probably just buy a TF Cortina Ghia or something and then XR5 engine and upgrade everything from interior to suspension and brakes.

Thats my two cents

2011 Purple FGII XR6
2016 LZ Focus Sport

BA XR8 Build Thread (SOLD)
1966 XR Falcon Build Thread
WindsorXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 01:34 PM   #4
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

Who's paying for the development costs of an all new RWD platform? It would need to be a global model much like the new Fiesta, Ranger or Focus. Add to it that you mention BMW 1 series size and you're talking a niche product. It will either take away from Focus sales or only sell in small volumes.
Old 16-04-2009, 01:40 PM   #5
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I want a territory dual cab............ Turbo diesel of course!
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 01:45 PM   #6
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSSXR8
Making a brand new model at this time would nearly put Ford Aus under i think.

If i want a small car, RWD, for around $20,000 mark. I'd probably just buy a TF Cortina Ghia or something and then XR5 engine and upgrade everything from interior to suspension and brakes.

Thats my two cents
I see your logic, but why couldn't Ford just put new bits onto an old convertible FWD Capri blueprint for example?

As for the Cortina, not a lot of people are willing to buy a car specifically for a series of mods that big. My mum for example. But she still has my little brothers to move around, so a smaller Falcon would be perfect.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
Old 16-04-2009, 01:52 PM   #7
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 388cube_edxr8
I see your logic, but why couldn't Ford just put new bits onto an old convertible FWD Capri blueprint for example?

As for the Cortina, not a lot of people are willing to buy a car specifically for a series of mods that big. My mum for example. But she still has my little brothers to move around, so a smaller Falcon would be perfect.
Direct competition for the Focus convertible much?
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 01:55 PM   #8
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

I think this thread should be retitled, "If you ran Ford, and there was no financial crisis, what car would you build to complement the Falcon?"

If the choice was mine, I would be looking at designing a mid sized 2 seater or even 2+2 coupe/roadster... Front engined turbo 4.0, 6 speed manual and LSD IRS under the rear end.
18x8.5" Rims on the front and 19x10" on the back.

Aiming to keep the weight under 1200kg with 310kw would make for a well balanced road rocket.

Something along the lines of a Nissan 370Z/Lotus Evora...

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 01:56 PM   #9
WindsorXR

If they used a capri as a base line, they would eventually have to remake the whole car to match or better the safety laws/ADRs, get handling, braking, Noise, vibration and harshness levels to meet the current market. It would be a whole new car and very little of the capri would be left over. it would take sales away from Ford brands/models as well where we already have small to midsized cars available. No RWD, but that market doesn't have a need for a RWD platform small car.

2011 Purple FGII XR6
2016 LZ Focus Sport

Old 16-04-2009, 02:02 PM   #10
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

The point is, there is a reason that Commondore sales are slipping, while Corolla sales are going up. Ford needs to make a cheap, funky, modern, practical smallish car with mass appeal. I'm sick of seeing small car sales go to Japan. Here in Brisbane, I have seen very little XR5s on the road compared to things like Corolla. I reckon its because the XR5 is a fantastic car, but its a sports hatch and costs too much for Mum to use just for school runs and to get to work.
Old 16-04-2009, 02:04 PM   #11
TZENU
XY Driv3r

we need to stop thinking as a customer/enthusiast. We need to take the inside view, that is, Ford as a business.
I would be pretty sure that if Ford Aus could afford the R&D / manufacturing / retooling costs associated with locally producing cars and it was economically viable then they would... From a financial standpoint and given the current cricumstances i wouldn't think it would be wise to spend up big on capital if they are unable to justify a decent return on their investment.

My 2 cents
Old 16-04-2009, 02:08 PM   #12
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

I'll bloody build the new Cortina for them out of chopped Falcon panels if they pay for the parts. I bet I could do it a buttload cheaper than an R&D team.
Old 16-04-2009, 02:25 PM   #13
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Ford are already a step ahead of you; the Focus is going to be made here from 2011. With the ability to spawn three different cars from the same platform. These three cars will become FoA's volume sellers and cars like the Territory and Falcon will be relegated to 'niche' vehicle status for luxury and performance buyers.
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 02:29 PM   #14
WindsorXR

Quote:
I'll bloody build the new Cortina for them out of chopped Falcon panels if they pay for the parts. I bet I could do it a buttload cheaper than an R&D team.
As i work at Ford I know only half of what actually goes into the building of a totally new model. It's a hell of a cost
To run such departments as Environmental, Emissions lab, Durability of vehicles, Noise/Vibration and harshness facility, Crash tests for ADR complience, engineering and calibration of all vehicle programs and many many more. And that is only on the development side of things. I haven't touched on plant retooling, design, advertising or anything like that.

It can cost in the thousands just to test one calibration for the A/C system for one shift.

I didn't realise how much goes into building a car until i worked here, and it sure opened up my eyes.

2011 Purple FGII XR6
2016 LZ Focus Sport

Old 16-04-2009, 02:45 PM   #15
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Quote:
As i work at Ford I know only half of what actually goes into the building of a totally new model. It's a hell of a cost
To run such departments as Environmental, Emissions lab, Durability of vehicles, Noise/Vibration and harshness facility, Crash tests for ADR complience, engineering and calibration of all vehicle programs and many many more. And that is only on the development side of things. I haven't touched on plant retooling, design, advertising or anything like that.

It can cost in the thousands just to test one calibration for the A/C system for one shift.

I didn't realise how much goes into building a car until i worked here, and it sure opened up my eyes.
Ok now you have my attention. What do I have to do to get a job there?
Old 16-04-2009, 02:55 PM   #16
WindsorXR

Hehehehe. Depends what you wanna be mate.
Might not have any luck at the moment. I don't think there are a lot of job offerings right now.lol

2011 Purple FGII XR6
2016 LZ Focus Sport

Old 16-04-2009, 02:57 PM   #17
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol 388cube. I love the cortina as well, but certainly wouldnt want them to do what holden did for the monaro.
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 02:59 PM   #18
macca13

The problem isn't the cars, Ford has a complete range of cars (except for a small rwd) the problem is image and advertising. eg. commodore and falcon not much between the two really but falcon gets left behind, focus and mazda3 are built on the same platform the focus is a nicer car but mazda3 gets the sales so it's not the range of cars ford puts out that is the problem.
macca13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 03:24 PM   #19
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ok now you have my attention. What do I have to do to get a job there?
Wait till they start tooling for Focus. We will go from 35,000 units a year to 70,000. I am pretty confident we will need more employees then..........
Old 16-04-2009, 05:47 PM   #20
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Quote:
Hehehehe. Depends what you wanna be mate.
Might not have any luck at the moment. I don't think there are a lot of job offerings right now.lol
looking to get into R&D to be honest.

Or did you guess that already?
Old 16-04-2009, 06:39 PM   #21
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

We build Falcon, Territory and soon the Focus here, i think that will be a great little earner along with the other big two
Old 16-04-2009, 07:00 PM   #22
steamin63
old skool

if fords survival depends on the focus god help us. yes it is sprightly, looks good and handles well but compared to it's competition it is lacking. i'd love to be able to say that the focus is a brilliant car but it isn't. average build quality, poor ergonomics , suspect reliability coupled to one of the worst after sales service networks in the country it doesn't stand a chance. if ford had of stayed with the mazda platform ie laser /mazda3 instead of going with the European platform i think it's small car segment would be viable . cheers.
Old 16-04-2009, 07:07 PM   #23
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamin63
if fords survival depends on the focus god help us. yes it is sprightly, looks good and handles well but compared to it's competition it is lacking. i'd love to be able to say that the focus is a brilliant car but it isn't. average build quality, poor ergonomics , suspect reliability coupled to one of the worst after sales service networks in the country it doesn't stand a chance. if ford had of stayed with the mazda platform ie laser /mazda3 instead of going with the European platform i think it's small car segment would be viable . cheers.
The Foucs Ford Australia is going to build here is not the current model, nor the model due out next month. It is the ALL new gobal Focus due out in 2011.. We'll have to wait & see what it is like...

I think once that comes here along with Falcon, utes & Territory that is a gppd number for a market of our sizes.
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 07:13 PM   #24
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamin63
The 2011 Focus is basically all new - not the current Focus. See the Focus thread on this site.

AND GUESS WHAT ? It's the same platform as the Mazda3 and the Volvo S40 (as is the current Focus).

Hopefully the new Focus Quality (built here) will be better than the South African built current car.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 08:43 PM   #25
scradley_6666
Move, I'm trying to SPEED

All i want is the XR5 Turbo engine in the focus convertable and id be a happy man... Shame they dont do it... but maybe from 2011 onwards...

238.5 RWKW

"A careful driver is one who honks his horn when he goes through a red light."

:evil3:
scradley_6666 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 08:53 PM   #26
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

I want a turbo diesel twin cab 4 x 4 ute that can have a back seat the size and comfort of a Falcon back seat. Not something that only a pigmy can fit in............
Old 16-04-2009, 08:58 PM   #27
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
I want a turbo diesel twin cab 4 x 4 ute that can have a back seat the size and comfort of a Falcon back seat. Not something that only a pigmy can fit in............
Territory dual cab? The line starts behind me..........
Old 16-04-2009, 11:10 PM   #28
steamin63
old skool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
The 2011 Focus is basically all new - not the current Focus. See the Focus thread on this site.

AND GUESS WHAT ? It's the same platform as the Mazda3 and the Volvo S40 (as is the current Focus).

Hopefully the new Focus Quality (built here) will be better than the South African built current car.
by platform i meant the complete package, not just some components. yes they do share the same engine, chassis and suspension components BUT GUESS WHAT so did the crossfire and the slk and the crossfire aint no Mercedes .
Old 16-04-2009, 11:37 PM   #29
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca13
The problem isn't the cars, Ford has a complete range of cars (except for a small rwd) the problem is image and advertising. eg. commodore and falcon not much between the two really but falcon gets left behind, focus and mazda3 are built on the same platform the focus is a nicer car but mazda3 gets the sales so it's not the range of cars ford puts out that is the problem.
Yup.

Ford's marketing is rubbish and misdirected.

Ford's advertising is embarrassing.

Result?

Falcon outsold by Commodore

Focus outsold by Mazda 3
Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 11:54 PM   #30
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munroman
Yup.

Ford's marketing is rubbish and misdirected.

Ford's advertising is embarrassing.

Result?

Falcon outsold by Commodore

Focus outsold by Mazda 3
According to this Forum, Fords quality control is more of a problem than good marketing could ever fix.....