Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: You have 80k to spend on an XY GT, What do you do
Buy a high - top end faker XY GT for upto 80k and live with it being a faker. 33 35.87%
Buy a Real Aus XY GT that needs a full resto or has chassis or I.D. issues 31 33.70%
Buy a high end Fairmont XY GT for 70k and spend the diffrence making it look like an Aussie GT 28 30.43%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-07-2009, 04:43 PM   #1
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Default Hypothetical Question....Buying an XY GT on a Budget.

You are dead set keen to buy an XY GT. But you only have a maximum of 80k to spend.

You would prefer a decent car, not a basket case or project.

What do you do???

Using my car as the benchmark of the kind of car you want....

Last edited by Donny; 04-07-2009 at 04:54 PM.
Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2009, 04:45 PM   #2
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny
You are dead set keen to buy an XY GT. But you only have a maximum of 80k to spend.

You would prefer a decent car, not a basket case or project.
Whats the question Donny??

Old 04-07-2009, 04:53 PM   #3
Donny

Sorry, was my first poll on this forum, didnt finish the post properly, I have now edited it. Damm you were quick. Are you boared mate??

After voting, how bout expressing which option you chose and why.

Cheers.
D

Last edited by Donny; 04-07-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:28 PM   #4
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you only have 80k id go high end faker with a big engine for sure but make sure it has a decent amount of genuine parts on there.

If u really wanted a real GT and restore it over time and spend more than 80k id also go that way as it will appreciate more compared to my first suggestion.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:33 PM   #5
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

I would buy the SA fairmont GT same mechanicals as aussie model it's a genuine GT and recognised as such by Aussie GT clubs, a faker no matter how good is still just a falcon and to buy a pretty ordinary aussie GT for 80k and do it up to the standard of a high end SA GT could cost you tens of thousands more for what is esentially the same, a genuine XYGT.
By the way Donny thats a nice bit of kit.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2009, 05:33 PM   #6
Matt P
No Boundries

By the real deal even if it is in woful condition it will still be a real GT and then you have a project.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:59 PM   #7
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Answer 2 would definitely be the best investment, but depends a lot on how original and complete the car is with original parts and (low) degree of molestation.

But it also really depends on what you want to do with it, as Answer 1. would be the most practical to live and drive around with. Perhaps Answer 3 as well, as doing it up as a GT is still not a genuine. And I would steer well clear of cars with ID issues.

Seeing you dont want a big project and you wont have the extra money to do the resto, it then really boils down to looking closely at the condition of both the Fairmont and faker.

I'm wondering why you are asking the question when you already have that car shown?

Last edited by Silver Ghia; 04-07-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2009, 06:12 PM   #8
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Sth African pov pack gets my vote.A matching nos limited run car thats within the budget.One gets tuned at west torrens dyno centre and is a pleasure to listen to(uncles).No aircon or steer but easy to live with i recon. :sm_drool:
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2009, 06:19 PM   #9
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

I would prefer to buy an Aussie GT, but as yours is a Fairmont GT from SA with Aussie adapted parts, I think that is the cheaper way to go.
gossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2009, 06:53 PM   #10
mickvxbs
bogan

When i think about my coupe i often wish i had of bought a XBGT they wernt that much dearer back then(1995), but i "wish" not because of any racing pedigree or some such, but simply because it would be worth more money now

That to me is not a reason to buy a real GT, i bought the car because i loved the shape, the low roofline and the mean stance that it has, heck mines a 6cyl column shift in taxi cab orange. So for me a great faker with options or a SA GT fairmont would do just fine.
mickvxbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2009, 07:25 PM   #11
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

If you only wanted an XY GT you wouldn't pick number 1?

I would go number 1 though as I don't want a car that I couldn't or shouldn't moddify. A Fairmont XY with all the goodies would be a lot more fun than going to and fro from carshows in a stock GT. If I wanted an X series GT though it would only be an XA sedan or coupe but would still have to have my fun car first.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2009, 07:32 PM   #12
Thankfull
Banned

In this day an age....just to have an XY body in good condition is somthing in itself.

Cheers
Thankfull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2009, 07:38 PM   #13
Donny

The idea of the post was to guage peoples thoughts as to the 3 possibilities.

Now to define the parameters a bit better, the 80k is all you have.
So the option of spending more is out for at least a good couple of years.
So a project will sit around for at least a few years while you save up the resto costs.

You are also the typical GT owner who is buying the car of his dreams to keep and is not buying this car to onsell later, or with the consideration of turning a profit.

Option 1 gives you a pretty good car. But essentially you would have to live with it only ever being a replica.
Most in that price range will allready either be rebuilt as replicas done to look very close to a proper GT or done with good drivetrain allready in place at that money. Such as Lincolns cars (XYLINC)

Option 2 gives you a genuine car that is probly close to totally shagged condition wise, and is going to need a big dollar resto.
Unless you wish to lower the quality of the resto with repo stuff, she will need most of its remaining genuine parts hand restored and the missing ones replaced and then restored too.
There is an Aus XY GT for sale currently for 80k, allthough the talk is it has some issues. I dont know what they are, just talk. The fact is its been for sale for a few months now at that price, and is still there. I'd imagine its had a tun of lookers by now.
The last XY GT I saw that was a runner and in ok driveable/registerable condition for sale but really needed to be restored was a bit over 100k.
The last alternative then is to find a car with identity issues or body issues, and you would then get a nice one, but most of the GT people will look down upon these cars, and in some peoples eyes it will be little better than a replica.

Option 3 gives you the choice of some pretty good South Afrikan examples. You can buy some examples of these in reasonable condition for around 50k, and some really good ones for around 70k to 75k. Both these options drops you under budget, and allows some money to either make them look like an Aussie one if you dont like the South African look, or to soupe up the donk a bit more.

Attention wise, as long as these things look right, most wont visually know if the cars a replica or real until they get a look at the rego label if it has the vin on it. So the risk level is still up there. And if you are still spending around 80k, you are still going to be paranoid as hell about the car. Everyone who asks me about my car keeps asking if its a HO.

My car is a Fairmont GT, Aus modifications wise it has the front spoiler, bathurst tank, globes, the over riders, super roos and Falcon GT boot badge. My trim is still RSA original. If you didnt like the trim around 2k more will fix that issue.

The idea of the poll and post is to see how many would consider the Fairmont GT option over the other 2 choices.

Take the hypothetical question 1 step further. You can get a hold of $150k cash.
Do you spend the whole lot on a really decent Aussie XY GT, or do you still buy the Fairmont GT, and throw the spare 50k odd of cash into the mortgage?

Again with the intention to keep it, not flick it.

How many people out there will take the Fairmont GT option then over the Falcon GT option??

Old 04-07-2009, 07:46 PM   #14
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Donny if i was into XYs I would def go the Fairmont GT route. It makes the most sense in every aspect

Essentially the same thing

But alas, for me there is only one GT and that is the Mighty XA

Nothing else comes close - so very one eyed on that front!
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2009, 08:12 PM   #15
Donny

George,

It certainly dose make sense mate, but the majority of buyers either dont beleive the Fairmont GT's are real GT's or have no common sense at all and would rather pay full price for a XY Falcon GT.

If you had 120k to 150k to sink into a genuine GT, how much better would you feel only dropping 70k to 80k on the same GT, with the only main diffrence being assembled and sold new in a diffrent country?
Then throwing the rest of your spare change into the mortgage or somthing. That would also please the handbrakes out there too (aka better halves).

These Fairmont GT's would have to be the bargain buy of the century, and soo many people are close minded and blind to it.

Sure a lot of early imports were bad cars and looked terrible, which has given a bit of a bad rep to the SA GT.
But theres been quite a few higher profile restorations done now, as you would have seen at the Nationals, and there has also been a lot of very nice and tidy unrestored and maintained examples that have landed on our fair shores too.

I am the same as you, the only GT for me is the XA. While I do like the other models, the XA is the 'one' for me too.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:25 PM   #16
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Option one for me, the person obviously wants something out of thier price range, so do most of us albeit to a lesser degree.

I'd prefer a top looking faker with a killer engine/driveline in the garage ready to turn the key and drive away.
It would better than the genuine article in many ways, most likely faster, cleaner, cheaper to insure, would turn just as many heads and not as likely to be tracked down and stolen.

The only reason to pay the bucks is genuine pedigree bragging rights.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2009, 08:29 PM   #17
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

When my bank acc. recovers I would be seriously looking at the SA GT to add to my collection value for money they leave the other 2 options for dead and they are GT's. The cars I buy are for my enjoyment and not for sale to make a buck, but they are all genuine articles and IMO a Fairmont GT is still a genuine XYGT if not what is it? and would have no hesitation in buying a good example.

When I was younger I had an XAGT replica made from a written off car so it was very good however when asked if it was genuine and you reply well.... no people seemed a lot less interested in it even though it had all the right gear in it and went like a GT should. Replica or genuine for about 80k most would not be a daily drive so why not invest in the real thing?

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2009, 08:32 PM   #18
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

I would go option two, then save every penny until I could afford to put a roll cage and tubs in it with a 4 link, to go along with the alloy block/dry sumped aftermarket engine..

I could always offset the cost by sending the bits and pieces I dont intent to use off to sims for scrap..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2009, 08:35 PM   #19
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
I would go option two, then save every penny until I could afford to put a roll cage and tubs in it with a 4 link, to go along with the alloy block/dry sumped aftermarket engine..

I could always offset the cost by sending the bits and pieces I dont intent to use off to sims for scrap..
........ then drive to the GT NATS and watch all the purists splutter on their cups of tea I would pay to be there!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2009, 08:40 PM   #20
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
........ then drive to the GT NATS and watch all the purists splutter on their cups of tea I would pay to be there!
Ripping apart a piece of muscle car history, $1,000,000, the looks on the purists faces, priceless
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2009, 09:12 PM   #21
Donny

Personally, modifying a genuine GT with reversable changes would not stop me from doing this just because it was a genuine GT. Specially the motor.
But I do prefer the cars closer to the original theme anyway with just a few personal touches.
You can also make a clevo go well, even while maintaining its standard looking GT guise.

I couldn't imagine owning a stock powered GT that could be hosed off by a V6 pov pack fleet camry.
I have had a few stout clevos, and while I have yet to try the stroker route, I couldnt ever do standard again. Changin engines is nothing, and can very easily have the original one put back in.

So some basic mods to a GT would never sway me down the replica route. Not that I have anything against replicas, I just prefer the real thing. Nothing to do with **** factor or exclusivity or anything

Old 04-07-2009, 09:24 PM   #22
mickvxbs
bogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny
So some basic mods to a GT would never sway me down the replica route. Not that I have anything against replicas, I just prefer the real thing. Nothing to do with **** factor or exclusivity or anything

so why is it then?
mickvxbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2009, 09:33 PM   #23
Donny

Genuine GT's are what I am interested in. And since I can afford it, why not.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:19 PM   #24
FPV70

s stated earlyer, The Fairfomt GT is Still a GT and remembering, the GT was based on the Firmont anyway as most of them had the same chrome trims on them and what ever else.

I have seen some very good example SA XY GT Fairmonts I would own anyday.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:38 AM   #25
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

Still option 2 for me.
Australian compliance plate, and the knowledge of it being built at it's spiritual home, Broadmeadows.
I won't even buy a JH Falcon, but that's just me being fussy. :
gossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2009, 02:57 AM   #26
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossy
Still option 2 for me.
Australian compliance plate, and the knowledge of it being built at it's spiritual home, Broadmeadows.
I won't even buy a JH Falcon, but that's just me being fussy. :
Where's the JH plant? Homebush?
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2009, 03:26 AM   #27
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

H - Brisbane
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2009, 03:28 AM   #28
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Option 1.

Stripes and Clevo is enough for me.

Might even do one without the stripes or GT decals. 80k is alot of $$ and for something that is only as good as its gonna get from factory is a raw in my eyes.

Imagine 20grand under the bonnet, 10 for the paintjob, another 10-15 for the box suspension and brakes. Interior would be a light touch up from standard maybe 2-3k, 5k for wheels (i'd go some Indy's, some might want 20's used: ).

Allow 10k for tidying up and fiddly bits, 10 k for a vehicle that isnt beyond repair, and then its something original, quick and unique.

Besides, GT351 on the side is enough to convince most people what a gt is. :

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2009, 10:33 AM   #29
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Have had concours winning collectible muscle cars that have been featured in reference books and in magazines. My best one was bought by Biante to make a 1:18 scale model from. But I sort of consider myself been there, done that nowadays.

Thus now I would derive much more pleasure from having something that looks the goods, like an XY GT, but with good suspension, a born from the gates of hell motor made tame with the delights of EFI, and brakes that work so in fact, the look and horn factor of yesteryear but with 21st century mechanicals. And something that I could drive 100% without thinking about all the unobtainable parts that are going to get damages should I have a bingle etc.

Actually in a perfect world one of each would be the go....
Old 05-07-2009, 11:16 AM   #30
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i chose option 3 as its the best value for money and ive always believed them to be real GT's
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post