Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-09-2009, 04:02 PM   #1
Ibrox90
Banned

Default Do you love your beast??

After watching love the beast it got me thinking about cars that people keep for years and years.

Most would know the love hate realtionship ive had with my xr8 over the short 3 months ive had it.

I was just wondering is there anyone else out there with a love the beast type story???

please share your stories of your trialing times, times you nearly sold and times you wish you had.

HIS
THUNDER
2004 BA XR8
Blueprint

Mods:
Quad Exhaust, Hi-Flow Air filter, BFtiming chain tensioners, Billet Oil pump gears
stage 2 shift kit, riding on G6ET 18's

HERS
FLASH
BA MKII XR6 Turbo
Phantom Purple
Typhoon front end

Parking your ford after a long day of being Awesome
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Parkin...37774932974038
Ibrox90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 04:18 PM   #2
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Don't have time to share the full story but i have had my "Beast" for 3 years now, having turned 21 it's the first time since i moved back from WA that i have really been allowed to enjoy my car again.

Having clocked up around 2000k's in 3 weeks (don't drive it to work either) lets just say im enjoying it alot.

Even now owning a house, and having the XR nearly paid off i have no intentions of selling "The Black Pearl" as she is known as to friends & family, and can't see any reason why i ever would.

Would love to do a "Eric Bana XB" type re-build of her in around 5 - 10 years including a Built N/A boss engine, she may never be a true classic in the future but it's my first car and no matter what you do or who you are you can't replace that.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 04:20 PM   #3
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I have a habit of changing my cars after 12-24 months so no great stories yet. By the end of the year I hope to have a project in the shed.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 04:47 PM   #4
MAD
Petro-sexual

I was definitely in love with my XF, it was my first car and I had it for about 7 years. Others may not understand, but I loved the way it handled, I knew exactly what it was going to do and when. There was a time when it was stolen and recovered the next day. It took me a while before I could look at it the same way but I eventually got over it, fitted an alarm (which saved it from another attempt) and got on with enjoying it.
I would have kept it for longer but the engine was past its prime and the paint was going to need a full work over. Way too many little things going wrong, it would've ended up being a ground up rebuild almost.
Its currently looking in bad shape in my driveway with no front doors or bonnet, sitting on one wheel and bricks/stands until I organise someone to take it away.
I think, maybe, I cant quite bring myself to finally get rid of it yet.
Oh yeah, I still have a picture of it as my computer wallpaper.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:02 PM   #5
partsguy
Fan of torque steer

Ive had cars for 2-3 years at most and have thrown a little cautious money at them here and there.
My woman bought an EB Ghia 5.0 wagon recently and I have fallen in love with it, to the point that she spends more time in my BA than I do.
Throwing money at it requires no thought and I wash/vac it often. It's a keeper.
partsguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 05:07 PM   #6
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

I understand MAD, I had a similar relationship with my EA. Was just so easy and comfortable to drive and I knew exactly how it would react in any situation.

As for my current beast, my V8 BA XT, its not a love/hate relationship, more a love/indifference. At the moment I am enjoying driving it but about a year ago I was finding it an extremely boring ride and dreaming of selling and getting something more fun.

Now I'm still dreaming of getting something more fun but I want to keep my BA as my daily. Plus I've just about paid it off so I am looking forward to a few months of extra disposable income. The fact I'm no longer paying for it will allow me to enjoy it a bit more.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 06:02 PM   #7
Dezza
Parts bin special

Yep. I've now had the EA for over 7 years and I can't see myself ever selling it. It was my first car, and it's still going strong. There have been tough times but overall it's been good fun and has rarely let me down. The most amazing thing is that after 9 days of ownership, it looked like it would never hit the road again due to me caving in the front end something shocking. We decided to fix it, and we don't regret doing so. Then 5 years after that, I smashed it again, albeit more minor. We did some roadside repairs, I ended up replacing the front panels, and it's hard to tell how much hell the car's been through. It just keeps going, and has been a great lot of fun. Also I have learnt so many skills just by working on it, modifying it etc.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 06:21 PM   #8
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I like, but not love, my XR6. Reason?? It's more a liability than an asset. Paying off a depreciating early model BA that has no special bits and bobs doesn't create love for the car. My Gemini? Full on romance!! Watching it progress from a rusty shell to a primered shell with my own mods, it creates a feeling of wellbeing and fullfillment, as I built it, I didn't buy it like that. My own sweat and blood are in that car, so it's much more a part of me than my xr6.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 06:49 PM   #9
XF Falcon
[FORCED]

Love my XF. Got it as my first car back 12 years ago. Spent many many hours working on it (whether it be fixing something, or polishing/waxing the car late into the night under garage lights).. and I don't think I'd ever be able to sell it.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:04 PM   #10
Super Snake

I have owned my XAGT coupe for 20 years. At that time I had spent a few dollars putting a cam, doing the heads and re spraying it.
I was going to sell it after a couple of years, because I had to go overseas due to work commitments.
I thought that I was going to be there for 6 months, but ended up staying there for 5 years. Due to getting paid well there, I never needed to sell it, and I still have it. Great car to drive on a sunny Sunday.
Compared to my smooth modern 04 Monaro, the old girl rumbles your whole body when the engine starts screeming down the road.
The neibours hate my guts if I take her out before 10 in the morning on a Sunday.
Super Snake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 07:49 PM   #11
LANKY 1
Are the Supercars on yet?

well my first ute, a mighty stock XF, i loved it dearly even though it looked like shi.. ( but after some cheap exterior mods, to me i thought it looked awesome), and handled like, well can't really comment on that, and the performance was no where to be found. but got plenty of great stories, i'm well known for my ute. untill it blew the head gasket and still in pieces atm(i'll get back to it soon). then now i have the AU xr6 UTE, which on an awesome day is awesome to drive/cruise in, but on an average day it's just annoying. had issues with the gas system and has had a few warenty jobs. bound to have some awesome stories with this ute awell(not like they havn't started already)
Long live the ute

V8 dreamteam
1st: 2012, 2021
2nd: 2015, 2016, 2020, 2022, 2023
3rd: 2014, 2018, 2019
LANKY 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 09:51 PM   #12
ed_xr693
Starter Motor

ive had my ed since the start of the year,first time i drove it i knew i had to have it,even though it had a few issues it didnt matter,since ive owned it its only not started once coz of issues with the dizzy,everything in its perfect for me,i know the thing back to front and its suits me.ill never sell the thing.
ed_xr693 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 12:29 AM   #13
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

i will have owned my XB for 22 years next month and have no plans of selling it.

its more like an old friend than a car now, it is the one thing has been there with me through all the good and tough times.
it has rarely let me down but we have had a few arguments over the years.
almost sold it once to save my business when $$ were hard to find but couldnt do it.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 12:44 AM   #14
alter_EGOXR
BF MKII XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave351cid
i will have owned my XB for 22 years next month and have no plans of selling it.

its more like an old friend than a car now, it is the one thing has been there with me through all the good and tough times.
almost sold it once to save my business when $$ were hard to find but couldnt do it.
mate i give you loads of respect! the fact that you have held on to it for 22 yrs and it still looks like it came out of the factory yesterday! keep it up mate! i hope i can keep my XR6 till i grow old and die...
alter_EGOXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 02:12 AM   #15
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This contribution: 04 SX TX AWD, drama's replacing upper outer joints w/Nolathane replacements 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave351cid

good on ya mate, i know how u feel.

ive had my 67 xr for 24 years now, a long term project ha ha. may even get around to painting/finishing it someday...

my67xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 01:23 PM   #16
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Bought new in 91 .. Just clicked over 100k...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 01:47 PM   #17
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Cool

I dont have a story yet on my car as I have not yet started on it but I see one in the future as there will be plenty to do on it, Just to let every one know it is a XD John Goss Special Red in colour 351 with FMX auto, 292.1 lsd rear end & with electric everything that was available in 79. I am in the motions of purchasing parts for it, so there is a little already LOL
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 01:54 PM   #18
killerjoolz
KillerXR8

ok.....we have owned our XW Fairmont for 27 years and she's still in the back shed,long story about rebuilds and re sprays etc etc,but she still goes strong.Paid $900 for her in 1982 and was offered $20,000 for her xmas 2007.No we did not sell,and never will.Only thing that changed is my hubby owned it and he gave it to me a couple of years agao as a present for Mothers day to top of the xr8 he gave me the year before for mothers day.....yeah we definately love our beast and have since added 2 more to the collection....

2009 TWEEKD FG XR8 IN SILHOUETTE
all mods done by Walter Markham from Oztek Performance
killerjoolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 06:05 PM   #19
XR8GRL