Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 07:41 PM   #1
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

Default LPG Price increase

Just heard on the local news tonight that the Fedral Govt. is looking at a 12 cent levy on LPG. Just as it was with diesel a year or so ago when it became popular to those in normal sedan based vehicles, so it seems to be happening again with LPG. Sure the govt we'll suck people in with rebates on offer for converting, now its time for them to get some of the outlay back.
I haven't done any sums, but will this deter people on a cost per litre per km basis or not? One Service Station owner, said confidently that this is only the start and to see 50 cents per litre excise like that on normal fuels is not unlikely in future.......

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Supercharged BA 6 Ute - Wife's daily

351W F150 93 XLT 4x4 Supercab
Old 04-09-2009, 07:45 PM   #2
divine_afg
Extreme_Custom

Not backing up the gov, though I'm sure this was communicated through media when they offered rebate for LPG sys.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:53 PM   #3
Mulberry Laine

Quote:
Originally Posted by divine_afg
Not backing up the gov, though I'm sure this was communicated through media when they offered rebate for LPG sys.
Exactly! How do you think they were going to get the money back.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:00 PM   #4
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by divine_afg
correct. this was announced years ago. back then it was said that it would start at about 5c, ramping up to a peak of 12.5c by 2015 or something. the exact details escape me.

this should be in the lpg section.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:08 PM   #5
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Looks like national news takes a while to get to Qld

Most people who use LPG have known about this for quite a few years now.

From the LPG Aus site.... http://www.lpgautogas.com.au/index.cfm?Action=Faq#12
In 2004, the Federal Government announced Autogas would remain excise-free until 2011. Even after that date, excise will be gradually applied in annual increments of 2.5 cents per litre until it reaches a ceiling of 12.5 cents per litre in 2015. By comparison, the current excise on petrol in 38.1 cents per litre.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:20 PM   #6
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Oh GasO you old joker
i remember hearing about this back in the day when EL cabs were still on the road! The news got so grave that APA filed for liquidation if i remember correctly.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:43 PM   #7
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Government has to pay for those $900 handouts somehow. Out if interest, does the government have any input to the discovery, manufacture, distribution and use of LPG? If not, what right do they have to tax us more and more and more?
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:48 PM   #8
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Looks like my BBQs are going to be more expensive now :
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Old 04-09-2009, 08:57 PM   #9
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

DJM83, i think you'll find you already pay over a dollar a litre for BBQ gas refills. Biggest joke of the century.

76txcoupe, I am usually a supporter of taxation but this time i see no real purpose for an excise to be introduced upon LPG. Just remember people, the LPG grant was introduced years after the announcement for the tax. The government will almost surely not get their money back on their LPG grant 'investment'.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:01 PM   #10
Barry_v
rocknrolla

gotta laugh when people shy away from lpg because of this looming price increase... i paid 53c per litre yesterday.. 12 months ago it was 20c higher in price. the 'normal' fluctuations are more than the increase!
Old 04-09-2009, 09:02 PM   #11
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Looks like national news takes a while to get to Qld

Most people who use LPG have known about this for quite a few years now.

From the LPG Aus site.... http://www.lpgautogas.com.au/index.cfm?Action=Faq#12
In 2004, the Federal Government announced Autogas would remain excise-free until 2011. Even after that date, excise will be gradually applied in annual increments of 2.5 cents per litre until it reaches a ceiling of 12.5 cents per litre in 2015. By comparison, the current excise on petrol in 38.1 cents per litre.

As stated above this has been common knowlegde for years making discussion a moot point.
Closed Thread