Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-09-2009, 09:14 AM   #1
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Pets and "THAT" heart breaking decision....

Im going through the ups and downs of having to face the reality that it maybe time to say goodbye to my cat "doot"...
16 years now and she's been like a family member, she's been with me through the extremes of life, like a great friend.
Im not sure how im going to do it but i cant bare to see her go down hill for much longer..
Has anyone else gone through this? i feel like im loosing a child..

Old 26-09-2009, 09:29 AM   #2
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im going through the ups and downs of having to face the reality that it maybe time to say goodbye to my cat "doot"...
16 years now and she's been like a family member, she's been with me through the extremes of life, like a great friend.
Im not sure how im going to do it but i cant bare to see her go down hill for much longer..
4Vman,

I last year had to make one of the worst decitions of my life my cat T.C (Topcat of the Cartoon) i had for over 16 Years (Age 4-20), i had grown up with him my whole life and can barely remember a time where he wasn't with me.

Last Year I had T.C put down, luckily for me my dad took him as i couldn't bare the thought myself, he had been hit by a car several years earlier and recoverd to 95% of what he was like a true little Champion, but as he got older the damage done really evealed itself, he was always a extreamly clean cat but he nolong had the control in himself to stay that way.

With him basically losing his ability to enjoy life, little to no sight & a very on and off memory of anyone bar myself and my mum he is now gone, it put me in a pretty big slump for a few weeks, but i feel good about the decition now.

If you belive it's the right thing, be strong and have it done, as sometimes nature has a cruel way of dragging out a poor pets final years that you and they do not enjoy.

I know we often don't get along on here too well, but best of luck.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes. We as a family (wife and kids that is) went through the same emotional roller-coaster two weeks before Easter last year with our "first child". He (a boxer) had been with us for almost 14 yrs. Beautiful natured dog (all in the upbringing) and excellent with the kids right up until the very end.
On the day the decision was made, he was in a bad way with prostate problems, heart issues and his rear joints had given out. The rest of his organs were giving up also. He was in pain.
That "humane" thing to do was to relieve that pain for him. He knew it was time. He said his goodbyes to all the family (he loved them kids so darely and just two days prior he was still making the effort to follow them around and play as best he could). I was holding him when the injection was given. He looked at me and smiled as he used to. His eyes were filled with love and appreciatation of a good life. It was very quick. He collapsed in my arms and his pain was no more. Ours, as a family, had just begun.
He now sits in pride and place on the TV cabinet in an urn where we all say gidday to him each day.

Something will be missing after they go.
He can never be replaced but I'm sure he is reincarnated in our new boxer. Everything about his lad reminds us of my old mate.
There is joy in moving on and time does heal such wounds. The hardest thing to do is to come to terms with the decision and the loss of a family member. Think of it in terms of "quality of life". They have given you such joy (and pain) throughout their life. Why put him through the agony cause we don't want to let them go when deep down we know where it is going to end anyway. Think of the good times. The amusing times and ask yourself "what is best for him?".
The time to ask yourself that question is now upon you. It is not a hard decision to make ........ once you remove the emotional side of it. That is truely the difficult part.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2009, 10:11 AM   #4
cant
CANT !!!!!!!!

Its a hard thing alright, get a friend to go to the vets with you, say your good byes in the waiting room and get your friend to take her in. its was easier to deal with , you dont have to watch, yet know someone you trust is there for her also.

(too bad we dont have the same choice in our own lives, to relieve suffering when we choose)

(or get rid of the odd DH on the road)

Better to be late, than
VERY LATE !!!! :

YEAH HA !!!!!!!!
cant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2009, 10:19 AM   #5
TOM-CAT
F-14 TomCat

Very upsetting mate, Unfortuanetly i have had to make the same decision with 3 cats, and a dog over the past ten years. All of these being with me for atleast 10 years. They will always live on in your heart, and i still get a bit of a smile just thinking about them.

Best of luck.

Check your bible; it say’s - if thou is to fit forced induction via supercharging to a performance car, then it is right and good that this supercharger be heard.
TOM-CAT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2009, 10:23 AM   #6
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C.
He now sits in pride and place on the TV cabinet in an urn where we all say gidday to him each day.
So does my Boy T.C he is in my games room, where the PS3 will eventually be moved to, just like old days when he was my "Co-Driver', jeez i miss him.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2009, 10:49 AM   #7
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

4VMan it surprises me that you're a 'cat guy' at all, but I have more respect for you now

Seriously, I like animals more than I like humans most days, and share a relationship with my cats in a similar way. Ive lost many cats but usually to cars etc.. However I had one ginger moggy I got when I was 14 who i grew with, and I was hit with a similar decision to your own when he was around 15. Hed been a integral part of my life, carried with him so many good memories, and the was a part of my household and family. It was heart wrenching....when you love something its so hard to overcome the desire to keep them close, but yet i looked inside to the pain he was going through and the day came when I knew if I truly loved the little guy, I'd let him go. I walked with him the the cat cage to the vet, talking to him all the way though I had no idea whether he could hear properly anymore. I stopped and put the cage down, and just patted him constantly. I was 29 years old and didnt give a damn about who saw me cry that day. I took him to the vet and stayed with him a while, he could still see quite well, and his purr machine as in still flight still

But I had to go. I didnt, couldnt, watch it happen. I know a lot of people will say he was only a cat, but he was with me times I was lonely and didnt care about life. And through some great times, he was always there. I lost those times that day. But I couldnt watch it anymore, couldt watch him suffer. You'll know when the time is right mate, it'll be one of the hardest days of your life, but afterwards you'll at least know you've done the right thing, if you love her. Cruel to be kind is a silly adage, but it applies in so many situations.

I had him cremated and put in a small urn which I buried in the garden.

You got any pics of her for us?

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2009, 11:59 AM   #8
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had to have our dog put down was 14 had cancer falling apart getting weaker every day almost blind and looked depressed used to be active and very smart.
Its something you have to do no one wants to see an animal suffer its the merciful thing to do
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2009, 12:15 PM   #9
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Hi Norm,

Ive been through this a few years ago with one of my hound dogs, "Sarge" - still sadly missed.

I had "Flecther" as well at the time, 1/2 sarges age, another Fox Hound, and he misses the old fellar too.

These dogs were unseperable from me at weekends, and spent many, many hours 20 mile offshore in my boat.

Do what deep down you know you need to do, don't make your last memory of Doot of one in pain, or hurt. You'll make the right decision mate.

My heart sinks whenever I hear someone say they are faced with this dilemma, and there's no right or wrong thing to do.

chin up mate

texas

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2009, 12:30 PM   #10
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

Quote:
Russell and I lost Snowie last night at 8 1/2 years but not from ill health - just a tragedy. We are devastated and are struggling to deal with it well. He was Russell's boy and part of our family. His loss is enormous and beyond comprehension at this stage.

Gaela

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2009, 12:42 PM   #11
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Sorry for your loss Gaela/Russell. Some people cannot appreciate the role that animals can play in our lives. They leave a void and yet, it shows how full a presence they were while they were with you. They dont leave your hearts and live on in your memories. If there is a heaven, I reckon there are more animals there than humans. :(

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
Old 26-09-2009, 12:44 PM   #12
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well im shattered, my little mate is now at peace.. it was the best thing for her as i hated seeing her struggle, i went through this about 10 years ago with my Bull terrier Sparky, its no easier this time....

Gaela/Russell, my heart and thoughts go out to you both too..

Thankyou to everyone with your kind words and thoughts, we all gain perspective about life from these things, and more importantly the things we cherish the most....

Old 26-09-2009, 12:47 PM   #13
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I am so sorry to hear this very sad news Norm, Russ and Gaela. My heart goes out to you all.

Time is getting close when we have to make this dreadful decision for our much loved Bulldog Vito.

My thoughts are with you guys. :
Old 26-09-2009, 12:59 PM   #14
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well im shattered, my little mate is now at peace.. it was the best thing for her as i hated seeing her struggle,
It is done. You have given her peace.

You know it was the correct decision, yet a hard one to make. The heart rules the mind when it comes to these matters. Never easy.
Grieve, but continue to throw one foot in front of the other and move forward. Be thankful of the joy she bought to your world.

Life goes on. Time does heal all wounds.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2009, 01:04 PM   #15
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Sorry for your loss Norm, choice or not a void exists today where yesterday it was full of life and love without conditions. Im not sure about the existence of a human heaven, but animals give so much to us I do hope 'doot' as gone to the cat version. Its probably full of Snappy Tom, on demand biscuits, and catnip filled stuffed toys with pictures of their owners proudly displayed ont he walls of their private suites At least thats how I'd set it up

Take care mate.

Old 26-09-2009, 02:23 PM   #16
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Well im shattered, my little mate is now at peace.. it was the best thing for her as i hated seeing her struggle...

Mate...I am sorry to hear this, I have in the past lost one of my cats, Ella, It was not "that" descion. She died in my arms racing her to the vet after what I could best describe as an epileptic fit

We made shrine kind of thing for her. Her Favorite toy was what we called a raaaa raaaa ball. (KFC kids meal toy from the Spounge Bob Movie) When it was hit it would go "raaaaa, raaaaa" Ella used to hit it up and down the hall way allnight. We put that and Ella's Collar in a Box frame with her name.

I still miss my Ella.
My heart and prayers go out to you and your family.
Old 26-09-2009, 02:47 PM   #17
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well im shattered, my little mate is now at peace.. it was the best thing for her as i hated seeing her struggle, i went through this about 10 years ago with my Bull terrier Sparky, its no easier this time....

Gaela/Russell, my heart and thoughts go out to you both too..

Thankyou to everyone with your kind words and thoughts, we all gain perspective about life from these things, and more importantly the things we cherish the most....
Sorry to hear about doot Norm.

I've lost 2 of my cats in the last few years. One was killed by a car, the other a tiger snake bit. They're both still with me, they have special places in the house.

It's very difficult as you treat your animals like your children. My wife believes I treat my cats (all 4 of them) better than I would humans. She's probably right - animals are innocent.

Jason.
Old 26-09-2009, 08:20 PM   #18
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Norm,condolences on your loss,know about it.
Anyway when you get a minute google 'Rainbow Bridge' one of them is also a vid. I think you need this poem about now.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2009, 09:00 PM   #19
MAD
Petro-sexual

Well done on the decision to put her to rest, my thoughts are with you. I hate to see when people keep their pets are suffering.
I had to have a cat (16) put down about 2 years ago, he was suffering from failing kidneys, after a couple of hot days he really went down hill and struggled to recover. That's when I knew it was time. I made the decision, but I could make the phone call to the vet. My now wife made that call for me. I was there for the end though.
Old 26-09-2009, 09:27 PM   #20
Trek
Blue blooded

I too know what it's like to lose a cat and can relate to that devastation, Norm. Pretty damn sad facing it all. Had one lost to being poisoned thanks to some bogans renting the house behind where I live. Watching her die slowly the way she did just didn't seem right, she couldn't even lift her legs within her last 24 hours and just groaned in agony up until her death. Her absence is still felt, 9 years after that incident.
Trek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2009, 09:32 PM   #21
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I trust you dealt with the bogans in like manner.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2009, 09:50 PM   #22
Trek
Blue blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
I trust you dealt with the bogans in like manner.
Wished I had've MO, but thought it just wasn't worth it. They eventually packed up and left months later after copping 'abuse' from me.

Their pathetic reasoning was about our cat defying curfews. No animal deserves that kind of punishment though, especially if they've done nothing 'wrong' in the first place.
Trek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2009, 09:51 PM   #23
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

i know that feeling mate, been through this too many times to count with my fmaily with Cats and just recently with my fiancee.
Old 27-09-2009, 11:24 AM   #24
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

We had one dog die at the age of 2. Jack Russel, he got some sort of intestinal spasm, which somehow rolled his intestine over itself and went necrotic (sp?). Of all the luck.
He was very very sick, we thought we were faced with that fateful decision, but he had sugery and was all ok, but 24 hours later, he went crook again. Septicemia sent in and he died overnight in the Vet's place.
Now we faced this gut churning decison again the last few weeks as our other older dog has now got Diabetes. We thought it was cancer as he lost control of his bladder. (As my brothers dog had lumps and cancer riddled his body and lost control of his bladder)
He has slighty fatty lumps around his body, which we had checked out, but not harmful.
The 2 weeks before his diagnosis was mind boggling as we thought we might have to say good bye.
Man it's harsh!

Pets are family...Don't care what anyone says, but they are!
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2009, 01:15 PM   #25
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I feel your pain Norm. A few years ago now our cat Sash who we had for about 12 years we had to put down. It was due to old age but she went abit senile, she would forget where she was and go next door to sleep and think it was home. The first time this happened she was gone for about 24 hrs and we found her. It kept happening, and someone found her and took her to the vet, as she looked quite malnourished but wasnt. Anyway the vet called us to say someone had handed her in, so the sad decision was made to put her down. It was the right thing to do didnt want to see her suffer anymore. Was a little while before i could get another cat but i did.

RIP Doot
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2009, 01:17 PM   #26
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVS Super Pursuit
Sorry to hear about doot Norm.

I've lost 2 of my cats in the last few years. One was killed by a car, the other a tiger snake bit. They're both still with me, they have special places in the house.

It's very difficult as you treat your animals like your children. My wife believes I treat my cats (all 4 of them) better than I would humans. She's probably right - animals are innocent.
Jason.
So very true, if only the people that harm them realised this too.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2009, 03:09 PM   #27
Envi XR8
I love my beast too!

Hey 4Vman,
sorry to hear about your loss. They become so much than a cat or dog. They do become your friend, and they accept you as you are, warts and all.
I had one cat, Maverick, who even though he was sick would never let me see him struggle. I would be at work and he would just lay around til he heard my car. Then he would spark up, come out and meet me at the door.
Wasn't until I was home one week on holidays and he couldn't keep up the act that I saw first hand how sick he was.
I had the vet do a house call because he got nevous going to the vet, and it was all very peaceful. He made it to 12, and the guy I got him from as a kitten was going to have them all trapped and put down.
I have hung a picture of him as an 18 month playful cat above my computer of him. I still remember the things he did and laugh about his antics. Time heals. Give it time mate and then open your house to another pet. They will not take another's place, they make their own.

Cheers Chris

P.S. Got a picture?
Envi XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2009, 03:15 PM   #28
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envi XR8
They will not take another's place, they make their own.

Cheers Chris

P.S. Got a picture?
Sorry to hear of your loss 4V Man, I'm going to be faced with such a decision in the near future with my cat, "Rowr".

Chris, the quote of yours above sums our animal friends up perfectly.
They are never replaced by another animal, but each one is a new one that lets you share your life with them.

The pictures are a necessity, in that our lost friends still can have their place in your home, even when they have moved on.

Ed
Old 27-09-2009, 03:46 PM   #29
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I too feel your pain 4vman, my pup was killed a few months ago and I am still not over the loss. I have always loved animals over humans and it is just so painful to see them go..
My heart to you mate, stay strong and remember the good times..
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2009, 04:49 PM   #30
HSE2

RIP Doot
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post