Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-10-2009, 07:36 PM   #1
Swedishmoose

Default Coldair intake

Hi guys,

I just wanted to ask arround if someone can confirm an improvement in his/her AU Falcon ( 6 cyl 157kw ) when a cold air intake snorkel from SS inductions , Tickford or others is mounted.

Furthermore i wonder, why SS inductions told me, that the SS Growler ( a pod air filter in a plastic box which looks like the normal air box ) of the BA/BF Falcon wouldn't fit in an AU Falcon.

I might be wrong , but I thought the front end of an AU is not very different from a BA/BF and even if so , it should be possible to fit a Growler pod filter + air box of an BA/BF into an AU , right ?

Does anyone have an idea ?

And does it really work ?

Thanks a lot for any advice or information

The Moose

Swedishmoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 07:47 PM   #2
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedishmoose
Hi guys,

I just wanted to ask arround if someone can confirm an improvement in his/her AU Falcon ( 6 cyl 157kw ) when a cold air intake snorkel from SS inductions , Tickford or others is mounted.

Furthermore i wonder, why SS inductions told me, that the SS Growler ( a pod air filter in a plastic box which looks like the normal air box ) of the BA/BF Falcon wouldn't fit in an AU Falcon.

I might be wrong , but I thought the front end of an AU is not very different from a BA/BF and even if so , it should be possible to fit a Growler pod filter + air box of an BA/BF into an AU , right ?

The Moose

Had the same idea as you, SS inductions is an improvement but not that good... A growler box cannot fit in the AU, i mean it can with stuffing around but its not worth it, beleive me i have tried it.... Better to go with a G&D airbox as they work great.
redauxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 07:53 PM   #3
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ss incductions are rubbish piles or plastic, best off making your own

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 08:01 PM   #4
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by frd906
ss incductions are rubbish piles or plastic, best off making your own
+1...

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 08:02 PM   #5
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

From what I have heard, fitting a BA XR6T snorkel and a hi-flow panel filter do the same job as an SS kit for the AU, except you save about 200 odd dollars....

So x2 on the G&D box.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 09:53 PM   #6
Swedishmoose

Hi again....

thanks for the reply....

I've never heard of G&D...I mean I've got a K&N air filter and put it in the air box. Is the G&D air box completely different and what does make the difference ?

Does the BA XR6T snorkel fit without messing around with my stock air box and the mounting points of the snorkel ?

The Moose
Old 09-10-2009, 11:10 PM   #7
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you have to cut a hole in the front of your air box so it can fit

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
Old 09-10-2009, 11:15 PM   #8
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just do 3 inch manderal bent intake and run the pipe into your air box and put the pod filter in the air box, not doesnt have to be sealed

Old 09-10-2009, 11:28 PM   #9
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
just do 3 inch manderal bent intake and run the pipe into your air box and put the pod filter in the air box, not doesnt have to be sealed
3" intake might look and sound good, but G&D style airbox with standard intake piping seems to be the way to go. With the 3", you actually lose some low down torque as the air velocity decreases because of the opening up of the intake. Power increase (peak) between standard intake and anything else is negligible (around 2kw).

Tickford or BA XR6T snorkel will get more cold air into your current airbox, and that's about all you need on a stockish motor.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 11:28 PM   #10
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Hi again....

thanks for the reply....

I've never heard of G&D...I mean I've got a K&N air filter and put it in the air box. Is the G&D air box completely different and what does make the difference ?

Does the BA XR6T snorkel fit without messing around with my stock air box and the mounting points of the snorkel ?

The Moose
Whoosha's XR8 has a G&D box, have a look. And yes the BA XR6T snorkel is a straight perfect fit, no mods necessary.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 11:52 PM   #11
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you sure, if im right stiddy actually didnt lose anything with his 3 inch intake setup with a pod filter, anyways do what you want

Old 10-10-2009, 01:07 AM   #12
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and look how ridiculous his cam was... of course he lost no low down torque cuz he probably had none anyway :P he would only have gained top end which is obviously what he was after

swedishmoose, as others have said, a panel filter and an xr6t snorkel will make a difference, a lot of people on this forum have also cut the fronts out of their lower airboxes, myself included and personally i think it did make a little bit of a difference and its a free mod
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 01:09 AM   #13
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so whats the point in people buying 3 inch intake set ups for if it dosent do nothing

Old 10-10-2009, 01:12 AM   #14
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
Hi guys,

The Moose
I have the SS 'Big Mouth' CAI in my AU, and I can confirm there is an increase from the XR6T snorkle. Nothing amazingly mind-blowing, but there is a difference. That being said, got the entire setup (SS snorkle complete with already modified airbox & a bellmouth in the upper airbox lid courtesy of Jim Mock) off LG for $150......no way known I was going to pay RRP for it!!!!

Stock:

with XR6T snorkle:

SS Big Mouth:

and here's a shot of the modified lower airbox (larger intake hole to fit the larger snorkle - this is where you get the difference:

As far as the 'Growler' setup, I wouldn't have a clue, but if the guys at SS say it won't fit in an AU, then it probably won't fit!!!

But if you're going to pay full price, you're better off getting something from Bluepower, G&D, or PM Whoosha for one of those Acron Plastics ones.....
Old 10-10-2009, 01:33 AM   #15
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Have a look through here I can still get some if you decide thats what you want
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...0&page=1&pp=25

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 09:34 AM   #16
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
so whats the point in people buying 3 inch intake set ups for if it dosent do nothing
You just answered your own question!- Plus i think looks may have something to do with it.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:45 AM   #17
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mont5.0
You just answered your own question!- Plus i think looks may have something to do with it.
Yep - looks and sound. you don't lose much, but you don't really gain either. G&D did the first setup for an AU, and used a dyno with stock intake piping, 3" piping etc, and guess which one came out on top. Their box with stock piping.

The SS mouth gets more cold air into the standard box, as does cutting a hole in the front of your box. If you have LPG with a balance pipe, then don't do the hole in the front trick, as it will bypass the balance pipe and may affect mixtures.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 02:08 PM   #18
Erich

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
If you have LPG with a balance pipe, then don't do the hole in the front trick, as it will bypass the balance pipe and may affect mixtures.
Exact issue I had - you cannot run the balance pipe to the front of the inlet - has to be to the box itself. Done mine about 2 inches back from there the intake goes into the box
Erich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 04:24 PM   #19
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

what i dont understand is that the engine will suck as much air as IT requires. So by forcing as much as possible through Snorkel, bigger box, 3" piping etc- is this not waisted? would you not be better spending money on a bigger throttle body or something, for noticable gains? I have tried and tested several different setups on the I6 and V8 and all have made slight improvements- but nothing to get too excited about. I reacon money can be spent else where for better gains. I agree with JC on this one- it may improve slightly on Noise etc- but i reacon you lose it somewhere else. I dont understand why ford would spend so much on development of the factory intake system- if it was as easy just to replace a filter and some piping to gain massive effects. My 2c worth.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:50 PM   #20
Erich

Ive simply cut a 90mm hole in the box and added an additional outlet there. For me, it wasnt about power gain but "better/smoother throttle response" through the ranges and this was a DEFINATE improvement .
Erich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2009, 04:51 PM   #21
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as you see in my build thread i have stuck a pod filter on with a bit of 3 inch to my flexi bend which is connect to rest of the standerd intake and it has given me a improvement,

but the pod is exposed at the current moment as i havent finshed my intake setup,

Old 12-10-2009, 12:04 PM   #22
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

For anyone wondering, this is what the G&D airbox looks like. It's metal and insulated, no front on it so all the air comes from behind the headlight. Obviously this means it works best with the open design of the XR's but it also works well on the other models.

You can also PM Whoosha to see if he has any of the airboxes he was selling left too.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 06:55 PM   #23
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

^^ they look nice and neat!
Old 13-10-2009, 04:59 PM   #24
Swedishmoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave93761
I have the SS 'Big Mouth' CAI in my AU, and I can confirm there is an increase from the XR6T snorkle. Nothing amazingly mind-blowing, but there is a difference. That being said, got the entire setup (SS snorkle complete with already modified airbox & a bellmouth in the upper airbox lid courtesy of Jim Mock) off LG for $150......no way known I was going to pay RRP for it!!!!

Stock:

with XR6T snorkle:

SS Big Mouth:

and here's a shot of the modified lower airbox (larger intake hole to fit the larger snorkle - this is where you get the difference:

As far as the 'Growler' setup, I wouldn't have a clue, but if the guys at SS say it won't fit in an AU, then it probably won't fit!!!

But if you're going to pay full price, you're better off getting something from Bluepower, G&D, or PM Whoosha for one of those Acron Plastics ones.....

Hi There...

what exactely did you change on the lower part of the air box ?
How did ya make sure that the bigger whole is air tight ? What kinda tool did ya use ?

Thanks mate

The Moose
Old 13-10-2009, 07:23 PM   #25
lofty
Rusticating

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent article on AU Power window installation. 

<groan> Where's the 'ignore thread' button?
Honestly Moose, a quick search would give enough reading on this subject for a month of sundays.

Territory SYII RWD, BFII RTV tray
lofty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2009, 10:32 PM   #26
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

oh come on, its not a thread mine, if you dont want to read it dont look at it, its sometimes nice for somebody to clarify something and for people to ask their individual questions, yes we have seen the same threads over and over again but you see anything with CAI/Cold air intake then why bother opening the page?
from memory daves setup is a little different, all it takes is for someoen to refer swedishmoose to his build thread or for dave to answer the question that was asked

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...9&page=3&pp=25
here is his thread but i cant find where it says how he enlarged the whole but im sure its somewhere and im sure he can tell you
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2009, 10:54 PM   #27
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this is what makes it interesting reading these threads, they have been asked before but we enjoy reading them and helping every one out,

if no one posted and just looked on 1 thread might as well not have a fourm at all and just have one post with all questions answered

Old 13-10-2009, 11:25 PM   #28
lofty
Rusticating

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent article on AU Power window installation. 

Yeah yeah, fair enough. It's just that the headings keep coming up in bold... [Must... not... click...! : ]
Forget it. I'm sorry I thought out loud.

An 'ignore thread' button would be cool though.

Territory SYII RWD, BFII RTV tray
lofty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2009, 11:48 PM   #29
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Moose,

I bought my setup complete from LG (forum member)....he had it professionally fitted out by 'Temby's Autos' near his place....basically the hole where the stock / XR6T snorkel goes has to be enlarged to fit the larger SS snorkle.....the new larger hole is screwed in over the section of the box that was enlarged.

Airtight - most definately - was a right PITA pushing it in to make it fit.....all sealed off with some cushioned foam...

My setup also has a bellmouth in the airbox lid to increase airflow....this was installed by Jim Mock when LG took his car there, and is not part of the standard SS setup

But like I've said before, there's no way I would have gotten the SS stuff if I had to pay full RRP for it....I got this full airbox, airbox lid & snorkle setup for a lot less than what you pay for just the snorkle itself!

I wasn't interested in getting a Bluepower or G&D box, partly to keep stock(ish) appearance under the hood, but also because as I don't have an XR, the gains those boxes provide would be somewhat wasted on my car, the standard headlight doesnt draw as much air in as the XR's do, my car wouldn't utilise it as much!

For starters, just go the XR6T snorkle while you decide if you want to do anything else with your air intake.