Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-12-2009, 01:09 PM   #1
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Default The ETS (Extra Tax Scheme) has been DEFEATED

Yep, not enough Liberals crossed the floor. Good on them!

The other thread was getting quite full so I thought I'd start a newy to clean things up a little.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/emi...-1225806060856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald Sun
THE emissions trading scheme has been defeated in the Senate, as the government failed to get enough Liberals to cross the floor. Climate Change Minister Penny Wong sat through much of the 40-plus hour debate on the government's emissions trading scheme but her efforts have been in vain, as the package of 11 bills setting up the carbon pollution reduction scheme was defeated.

The bills were defeated by 41 votes to 33.

Labor won the support of two Liberal senators, Sue Boyce and Judith Troeth, five votes short of the seven needed to push the scheme through parliament.

"You do not tackle climate change unless you change your economy,'' Senator Wong told the upper house before the defeat. "You have to make polluters pay.''

Senator Wong delivered an impassioned final address, declaring climate change sceptics to really be deniers.

"This government is ensuring through this plan ... that the majority of assistance goes to Australian households.''

The South Australian senator said many of the arguments against the trading plan were a sham.

"These are people sprinting back to the past."

Nationals Senate leader Barnaby Joyce has started rejoicing even before the defeat was made official.

"It's absolutely humbling,'' he said of the involvement of many voters in the climate change debate.

"The Australian people are going to be the greatest winners.''
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2009, 01:13 PM   #2
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Common sense prevails (For now)
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2009, 01:13 PM   #3
MAV50L
Banned

Well lets see how long it stays defeated until some back room deal gets done and it magically gets passed.
I all for it staying dead. If it got through we were all stuffed.
MAV50L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2009, 01:25 PM   #4
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Thank god for that.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2009, 01:43 PM   #5
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
"You do not tackle climate change unless you change your economy,'' Senator Wong told the upper house before the defeat. "You have to make polluters pay.''
Got to love that comment - pity she left out who would really end up paying for the scheme - which would be all of us. Think the government would have learned extra taxes on pre mixed drinks didnt stop people drinking, ETS wouldnt have stopped larger companies polluting. Hopefully now if they really want to tackle enviromental issues they will look at some genuine solutions rather than simply tax everyone.

Think its sad to look back and see what as a nation we have managed in the past (ie hydro power from the snowy mountains) and then you look at the present and our government cant get a public transport ticketing system to work (Myki)

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2009, 01:45 PM   #6
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great result.. flawed logic about "making the polluters pay", all they'd do is pass the cost onto consumers, plus margin.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:50 PM   #7
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

As much as I don't agree with some of Mr Abbott's views I must say it is nice to finally have an opposition leader that has the testicular fortitude to stand up and say "No, I don't agree and will stand against this".
Old 02-12-2009, 01:54 PM   #8
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
As much as I don't agree with some of Mr Abbott's views I must say it is nice to finally have an opposition leader that has the testicular fortitude to stand up and say "No, I don't agree and will stand against this".

Agree 100%. Apparently Tony is promoting Barnaby Joyce to the front bench too, which means the ETS will remain dead.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2009, 02:05 PM   #9
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Reminds me a bit of "Jeff"...

Old 02-12-2009, 02:07 PM   #10
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

pollution -1
environment-0
redauxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2009, 02:12 PM   #11
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by redauxr8
pollution -1
environment-0
Please explain...

Old 02-12-2009, 02:16 PM   #12
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Reminds me a bit of "Jeff"...
You may be onto something there.

Quote:
pollution -1
environment-0
I think you should have an actual look at this plan before commenting. The argument for and against climate change is irrelevant here as is the argument on whether it actually exists and is man made. Both null and void here.

The simple fact of the matter is that "if" there is an issue that needs to be rectified placing a tax on it is not a valid way to do so as it will have no impact on the "polluters" or the environment. The only thing to gain anything is the Government and the only ones penalised are the everyday householders as any extra tax/fees/charges incurred by any company/institution/organisation will invariably be passed on to the end user/consumer.

There is no argument that can actually disagree with that.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:27 PM   #13
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Please explain...

Im 50-50, really, but seriously come to the Kimberley in WA and feel the heat, this has been the hottest year of my life, 40 degrees for the last 2-3 weeks and no rain so far.... I suppose this makes it easier for me to believe in "climate change"

Obviously the ETS wasn't going to change this, but it was a step forward to start making an improvement. It was a bit dodgy though and had all the makings of a $$$$ scheme..
redauxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2009, 02:28 PM   #14
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Good to see common sense prevail though I don't appreciate being branded a climate science denier or a climate skeptic simply because I am able to see no econmoic or environmental benefit arising from the propsed ETS!!
Old 02-12-2009, 02:29 PM   #15
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Im 50-50, really, but seriously come to the Kimberley in WA and feel the heat, this has been the hottest year of my life, 40 degrees for the last 2-3 weeks and no rain so far.... I suppose this makes it easier for me to believe in "climate change"

Obviously the ETS wasn't going to change this, but it was a step forward to start making an improvement. It was a bit dodgy though and had all the makings of a $$$$ scheme..
I bet if you look back through the records you will find temperatures that resemble this year in previous years.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:35 PM   #16
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

We've had ice ages and drought and heat waves before in our history, but the debate about climate change is irrelevant in the context of this proposed tax.
The tax wont have any effect on reducing climate change or pollution, it will simply make some goods and services more expensive and the net costs will be passed onto consumers by way of higher prices.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:47 PM   #17
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

@redauxr8, Climate change is real,it is always changing and always will.
Climate has cycles this is just one of them.
To say that we,humans, caused this is fallacy. To say Co2 is a pollutant is fallacy,without co2 we would be in trouble.
Then there is the fact that the climate on planets such as Mars and I think Jupiter is changing in similar manner to Earth. Are there humans on these planets causing this,No.

The big problem is we are not being told everything,why, because there are those who have money and power have an agenda. Part of that agenda is a one world government. As an example take the Euro just another step to the goal. Take a look at the UK most of their laws etc are coming out of Belgium.

Take the time to look at what has and is happening around the world with regard to everything being one i.e. currency,business,government etc.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2009, 04:02 PM   #18
XWGT