Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-12-2009, 06:26 PM   #1
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Exclamation Falcon has a future with us, says Ford

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...25768100072F93

Quote:
Ford pledges large car for Australia – but won’t say how much of it will be local

3 December 2009

By BYRON MATHIOUDAKIS in LOS ANGELES

THE Ford Motor Co has promised that the Falcon will continue to loom large on the Australian landscape in the foreseeable future but has made no guarantees about long-term manufacturing Down Under nor confirmed if the vehicle will shift to a front-wheel-drive platform.

Global marketing group vice-president Jim Farley told GoAuto at the 2009 Los Angeles Auto Show this week that the strong reception of the revamped Taurus in the United States, coupled with the FG Falcon’s success in lifting its market share in Australia over the past year, meant Ford was as committed as ever to a strong large-car presence over the next decade.

Asked if Ford was thinking of “canning” the Falcon in Australia Mr Farley replied: “Absolutely not!”

Although he would not enter into specifics about Ford Australia’s role in the company’s future large-car strategy, Mr Farley said Ford Motor Co would continue to leverage the know-how and expertise of the Broadmeadows team.

“We will continue to look carefully,” he said.

Ford’s global product manager Derrick Kuzak revealed to GoAuto at the Detroit motor show in January that Ford was close to committing to a shared front-drive/AWD replacement for both the Falcon and Taurus by the middle of the next decade.

Left: Falcon range. Below: Ford global group vice president of marketing and communications Jim Farley.

Ford Australia president Marin Burela also confirmed in April that the next Falcon would fall into line with Ford’s Global One resource-sharing program, adding that a decision on whether the next-generation large car will switch to a front-drive platform would be made in 2010.

It is still unclear which engineering and design teams will take the lead role in developing the all-new global D-segment (large) vehicle.

There has been some speculation that the model will be paired with the next-generation Mondeo, although this is unlikely given the current model successfully uses a highly modified variation of the Focus small car’s C1 underpinnings.

Production locations for the all-new large car are also still to be divulged.

“The bottom line is that the market share has increased for the Falcon,” Mr Farley told GoAuto. “There’s still a very vibrant market in Australia – although it’s been declining for many years.

“I do think that all the different manufacturers have to look at all kinds of different technical solutions down the road now for D-segment cars – for a lot of reasons: fuel efficiency, global utilisation of platforms…

“But you know, we have nothing new to announce – as I’m sure Marin has told you a million times – but we will continue to look carefully.”

Mr Farley said different model demands from various markets clouded the model-selection issue.

“When you get to the D-segment it starts to get a bit cloudy – what does China want, what the US wants, what Australia wants – but we have really have a core competence and expertise in D-cars in Australia,” he said.

“Plus the performance element and the whole reputation around the performance division – there is a really unique niche to fill – and we have obviously want to continue to leverage all of that.

“The D-car is critical for our company. It is critical around the world. We have had a tremendous amount of success with Falcon in Australia, with Taurus here in the US, with the revitalisation of Lincoln too here in the US, and we will continue to make the right decisions for Ford and our customers as we have done before, and we will always look at any new product with the point of view of Global One Ford.

“That’s just the way we do business now.”
You gotta love the way GoAuto has tried really hard to put a negative spin on this but still kinda failed...

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2009, 07:13 PM   #2
blownv8au
Pro Street Au Ute

i don't understant why the press or anyone else for that matter thinks ford is going to can the falcon. if they did the company would go belly up no doubt in my mind so i wouldn't think it would be a very smart move. and why would they go to a front wheel drive here that would just be another mondeo(spelling) wouldn't it?
blownv8au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2009, 07:18 PM   #3
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

I can't accept that Ford could ever go FWD and continue to call it a Falcon. Do they think we're that stupid, RWD is a core element of it being a Falcon.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:28 PM   #4
RIPGMH2009
Starter Motor

they guarantee the name but no guarantee on which wheels or how many drive it
Old 03-12-2009, 07:47 PM   #5
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by road warrior
You gotta love the way GoAuto has tried really hard to put a negative spin on this but still kinda failed...
Sent Go-Auto an email, detailing my displeasure at their recent Ford Bashing. This article which definitely tried on the negative stance and the article which talked about the reduced fleet - overall Ford vehicles - registered to Ford which said the scrapheap was winning.

I pointed out that, with a 25% market share during the 1980s and now 10-11% of course the number of Fords on the road will reduce.

I also mentioned that when John Mellor - founder of Go Auto - had a more hands on role, this type of 'opinionated journalism' would not have been printed.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2009, 07:50 PM   #6
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...25768100072F93

but we have really have a core competence and expertise in D-cars in Australia
This is the key part. I truly believe that Ford Aus will play a key role in the future Ford large cars.

Retrotech thread
Old 03-12-2009, 08:14 PM   #7
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Falcon will go FWD once Commodore switches to FWD - which could sometime around 2018. (Holden are said to be working with Buick on a large FWD platform).

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2009, 09:40 PM   #8
Deco28

2018!

Aren't we all meant to be in EV's by then o.0?
Deco28 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2009, 09:52 PM   #9
TP351
Lurker

That will be a very very very sad day.........
TP351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2009, 10:05 PM   #10
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deco28
2018!

Aren't we all meant to be in EV's by then o.0?
I don't see govt building the required infrastructure for the majority of drivers to switch to EV's in that time-frame. Maybe by 2050?

Old 03-12-2009, 10:11 PM   #11
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

I really can't understand the push for FWD, does anyone on the planet thats a car nut actually like it?
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2009, 10:15 PM   #12
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
I really can't understand the push for FWD, does anyone on the planet thats a car nut actually like it?
Mainstream manufacturers don't build cars for enthusiasts - they build them for consumers

Old 03-12-2009, 10:24 PM   #13
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

I do not understand the consideration of FWD for the Falcon. RWD is simpler, and more effective for a large car platform. FWD also makes performance variants redundant. And contrary to what some may think, RWD is still superior for towing duties. Remember back when Ford US urged Ford Australia to replace the Falcon for a Taurus? We had to beg them to reconsider, time to get down on those kness again.....ugh.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2009, 10:46 PM   #14
Bossxr8
Peter Car

This article contains a blatant lie.

Derrick Kuzak never said that they were close to committing to a shared FWD/AWD platform for the Falcon and Taurus.

Never. That is a total lie. Very shoddy journalism. :
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2009, 10:48 PM   #15
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
Sent Go-Auto an email, detailing my displeasure at their recent Ford Bashing. This article which definitely tried on the negative stance and the article which talked about the reduced fleet - overall Ford vehicles - registered to Ford which said the scrapheap was winning.

I pointed out that, with a 25% market share during the 1980s and now 10-11% of course the number of Fords on the road will reduce.

I also mentioned that when John Mellor - founder of Go Auto - had a more hands on role, this type of 'opinionated journalism' would not have been printed.
Bloody good point right there. I read that other article as well, I'd be curious to see what sort of response you get from them.

As far as RWD goes, did FoA not conduct a consumer survey only recently which determined that RWD was still important to the customer? I seem to recall a quote from Burela about it...

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 03-12-2009, 11:08 PM   #16
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
This article contains a blatant lie.

Derrick Kuzak never said that they were close to committing to a shared FWD/AWD platform for the Falcon and Taurus.

Never. That is a total lie. Very shoddy journalism. :
Then, I implore you to contact Go-Auto. I didn't believe it either. No need to be too harsh, but get to the point and with more people responding to such nonsense, then hopefully they will be less likely to run such a crap story.

That story should've been a positive article. SHOULD'VE. In short Ford have committed to Australia as a manufacturer for another decade.

Retrotech thread
Old 04-12-2009, 12:31 AM   #17
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wish they'd just 'twin' thw Mustang and the Falcon - build them off the same platform.

The answers so obvious its just staring them in the face.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:39 AM   #18
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilliman
Falcon will go FWD once Commodore switches to FWD - which could sometime around 2018. (Holden are said to be working with Buick on a large FWD platform).
They basically already have.. And it's Chevy brother..
http://www.familycarguide.com/overview/pontiac_g6_2009
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2009, 11:58 AM   #19
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wtf?!!
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2009, 12:03 PM   #20
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

I think making a joined Mondeo/Fusion platform the replacement for Falcon XT sedan and wagon (fleet/family cars) and making a joined Falcon/Mustang platform to base the G-Series, XRs, and FPVs off of would be the best *compromise*

In a perfect world you'd make all variants (Falcon sedan, wagon and Fairlane) off the Falcon/Mustang platform but I just don't think that will ever happen again.

I read a while back that Ford was seriously considering merging Falcon and Mustang (and looking at a 4 door Mustang to please Stang fans with growing families)
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2009, 12:08 PM   #21
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
It's all about saving money, you can make a FWD for alot cheaper & quicker than RWD.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2009, 12:10 PM   #22
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess it could pave the way for a 4WD F6 aswell hehe. Dreamin' i know but it's nice to dream.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2009, 01:47 PM   #23
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

If its FWD it's not a Falcon end of story!
Old 04-12-2009, 01:47 PM   #24
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
2018??

I thought we'd all be in flying cars by then???
Damn it... I was lied to as a child....

When I wasn't flying around like George Jetson as the millenium ticked over - I wasn't so dissapointed.... I figured it would only be a 'couple' of years around the corner...

But if we're gonna have FWD Falcons and FWD Commodores in 2018... then my flying bubble car will have to wait until at least 2065....

I suppose - on a serious note - there is one thing to look forward to in the 2020's....
MacDonalds will have to go into MASS production of their plastic serving trays.... Why - you ask?
I remember when my mates had Magna's and Camry's.... we would go to Maccas, and put the trays under the rear wheels... Handbrake on... and then drive around....
Its amazing how SIDEWAYS you could really get with those plastic tray skates on.... hehehehe

*sorry - i know its off topic but I really wanted to get that out*
Old 04-12-2009, 02:16 PM   #25
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

hopefully ford will have a global platform so they can build the crown vics', Mustang and Falcon on it, with local bodys and drivetrains.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2009, 02:35 PM   #26
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
hopefully ford will have a global platform so they can build the crown vics', Mustang and Falcon on it, with local bodys and drivetrains.

Don't forget Territory, Territory coupe would be pretty awesome. :evil3:
Old 04-12-2009, 02:51 PM   #27
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
I wish they'd just 'twin' thw Mustang and the Falcon - build them off the same platform.

The answers so obvious its just staring them in the face.
Ford have said before that the Mustang has been isolated from the rest of the 'One Ford' deal and will remain a stand-alone project for...however long. I think the term they have used is 'silo'ed'

The issue with having a common platform for the Falcon and Mustang is that the 4 door sedan platform will not be well suited to a fastback style coupe, or vice versa. Rear passenger headroom is an issue with the new Camaro for example because of the car's Zeta sedan origins. It's to do with the floorpan arrangement and the layout of the rear portions of the chassis rails and rear suspension/diff compartments.

ford have come out and said that the "D car is important to them" globally. However Falcon is an E car, not a D car, and I find that little slip up to be a concern...

Old 04-12-2009, 02:54 PM   #28
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Fwd Mustang? *shudders*
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2009, 03:14 PM   #29
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
The issue with having a common platform for the Falcon and Mustang is that the 4 door sedan platform will not be well suited to a fastback style coupe, or vice versa. Rear passenger headroom is an issue with the new Camaro for example because of the car's Zeta sedan origins. It's to do with the floorpan arrangement and the layout of the rear portions of the chassis rails and rear suspension/diff compartments....
They need a versatile platform that is;
SWB RWD - Mustang
MWB RWD/AWD - Falcon/Territory
LWB RWD - Crown Vic/Fairlane ;)
The stumbling block to this wrt common chassis rails is Mustangs with live rear axles :
Old 04-12-2009, 03:57 PM   #30
barbarian
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81
I think making a joined Mondeo/Fusion platform the replacement for Falcon XT sedan and wagon (fleet/family cars) and making a joined Falcon/Mustang platform to base the G-Series, XRs, and FPVs off of would be the best *compromise*

In a perfect world you'd make all variants (Falcon sedan, wagon and Fairlane) off the Falcon/Mustang platform but I just don't think that will ever happen again.

I read a while back that Ford was seriously considering merging Falcon and Mustang (and looking at a 4 door Mustang to please Stang fans with growing families)
Yes please.. bring it on

barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post