The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 13-01-2010, 12:55 PM   #1
Bobman
Regulator

Default Hoon drivers to be used in test of government's new GPS speed device

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/hoo...-1225818727199

Quote:
LEADFOOT drivers will be used to test the State Government's new GPS speed device designed to curb speeding.

Roads and Ports Minister Tim Pallas this morning launched Intelligent Speed Assist - a special GPS speeding device that warn drivers when they go over the limit.

More than 60 repeat offenders will be among 500 drivers chosen to test the technology in a three-month trial later this year.

The GPS speed-mapping technology is also used in London and in Sweden. The device gives an audible beep that tells drivers they are over the speed limit.

"The device has been designed to assist motorists to manage their speed," Mr Pallas said.

"The ISA devices use advanced Speed Limit Mapping technology funded by the TAC and developed by VicRoads to identify and record speed limits across the Victorian road network."
Just wait for them to figure out how to fine people who will be forced to use these devices in the future and you won't want to drive anymore!

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Old 13-01-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
gags_17

Baha cleary we can see the speedo and are well aware of what speed we choose to travel
Old 13-01-2010, 01:19 PM   #3
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LOL... the GPS "device" is also known as an "ATM".... the beep noise you hear is also your account being debited for the infringement...

Last edited by 4Vman; 13-01-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 13-01-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
ThePistonHead
Shame Holden, Shame

Because this technology really works doesn't it..

A similar feature has been in falcons since E series.

EFII "XR8" Fairmont V8 185KW ELII XR8 engine, box & exhaust|Dual Fuel|Tints|FTR's|Factory bodykit |K&N panel filter|Interior LED Conversion|Leather steering wheel|Slotted rotors|Ghia wood + chrome|Subwoofer|

METALLICA
Old 13-01-2010, 02:09 PM   #5
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePistonHead
Because this technology really works doesn't it..

A similar feature has been in falcons since E series.

yes, that is correct, but with GPS, if it get's off the ground, won't give the user the option of turning it off.
Old 13-01-2010, 02:25 PM   #6
Kamshaaft
Broken eBay Starter Motor

Does anyone else think that even the proposal for such a scheme is just downright scary? They've got this, internet censorship (so we'll be in with North Korea, China, and Iran), and a whole swag of other . Add on to that the already massively impacting discrimination of everyone who likes cars at all being marginalised and written off as a 'hoon' and the ridiculous punishments for and stigmas inflicted on people...

In my mind there's little difference between a yellow star of david stitched to the chest and the term hoon.
Old 13-01-2010, 02:42 PM   #7
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamshaaft
Does anyone else think that even the proposal for such a scheme is just downright scary?

Very much so, as 4Vman indicated, the next stage of the scenario is an infringement in the post automatically forwarded for every vehicle that travels over the indicated speed limit by say 5kmh.

In my view, once this type of technology has been trialled and evaluated the next stage is to put it to use for revenue raising purposes.

This is big brother at it's worst. :
Old 13-01-2010, 02:46 PM   #8
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxr
Very much so, as 4Vman indicated, the next stage of the scenario is an infringement in the post automatically forwarded for every vehicle that travels over the indicated speed limit by say 5kmh.

In my view, once this type of technology has been trialled and evaluated the next stage is to put it to use for revenue raising purposes.

This is big brother at it's worst. :
What till it becomes a mandatory ADR requirement for new vehicles.....

Old 13-01-2010, 02:52 PM   #9
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
What till it becomes a mandatory ADR requirement for new vehicles.....
Exactly what the next stage of the scenario may become.
Old 13-01-2010, 02:54 PM   #10
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

More and more companies are fitting hidden GPS trackers to company vehicles to measure rep productivity, some even enable location tracking through their mobiles... the technology is already quietly creeping into our lives...

Old 13-01-2010, 03:03 PM   #11
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thin end of the wedge being driven further and further in. A permanent form of constant speed management of every vehicle on the road is closer than we probably all think. Just consider how things have closed in on us over the last 5-10 years.......point to point speed cameras; laser radar; fixed overhead cameras on freeways etc, and now the good old GPS solution.

As usual, it'll be justified with the time-honoured catchcry about only being applicable to repeat offenders (for now), closely followed by the oldie but goodie of "if you don't break the law then you have nothing to worry about" etc.

Not sure how many of you live in Victoria, but I did a trip down the Surf Coast over the festive season, and I would have been more relaxed driving a Hummer through Baghdad with an American flag painted on the sides than I was on the open road on my trip. Started with the mandatory speed/red light cameras at every 2nd intersection, followed by the fixed ones hanging over every fixed object along the Geelong Rd. Then progressed to the M1 highway our of Geelong which had the normal complement of car-mounted cameras, a few plain wrapper police cars, and the odd marked unit. Just to be sure, they threw in a carefully hidden hand-held laser radar as well. An automotive freight train of cars travelling nose to tail.

Get onto the Great Ocean Road, and the 100kph limit of the old days was long gone. However, never mind the blanket 80kph limit which was brought in a few years back, it was now replaced with a "seasonal limit" of 60kph. Just to think, a few years back I would have been a safe motorist doing 100kph, but I'd now lose my licence as a menace to society now.......on exactly the same bit of road.

I shudder to think of what the next 10 years will bring. The irony is that I have just finished reading the thread on the new Coyote engine to replace the BOSS and everyone is waxing lyrical about how many kilowatts it has etc. Well, I hope they paint the engine block a nice colour and put chrome cam covers on it, as in 5 years time it'll be good to look at when stationary and that'll be it. Not much chop when you're doing a GPS regulated 60kph next to the lentil powered Hyundais in the lanes next to you.

Rant over.
Old 13-01-2010, 03:12 PM   #12
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
More and more companies are fitting hidden GPS trackers to company vehicles to measure rep productivity, some even enable location tracking through their mobiles... the technology is already quietly creeping into our lives...
this sort of tech is already employed by some trucking companies, i know a bloke that let his truck over run the 100 k limiter down a hill by a few k`s,(out in the sticks at the time) a few minutes later received a phone call for being 4 k`s over the limit.
Old 13-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #13
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Brent your thoughts are 100% on the money and after doing a drive from brisbane to melbourne and doing great ocean road I couldnt agree more, doing in the TS50 was great but the ammount of nannying that goes on in vic I cant belive there isnt riot's... if it was O/S im sure the camera's would be being distroyed and police vehicles set alight... thinking that australia needs to harden up and 'fight' for our freedom again, disptite it being taken away by the very government elected to protect these rights.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
Old 13-01-2010, 03:25 PM   #14
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Funnily enough, I wrote an English essay in year 11 (2008) about if the government was so adamant on speeding costs lives, why don't they GPS speed limit cars?

Its quite scary, the worst TV show ever "Big Brother" and now we're all going to be a part of it.
Old 13-01-2010, 03:26 PM   #15
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

...and what if you connect this device to the car's speed limiter? enforced speed limit.
Old 13-01-2010, 03:29 PM   #16
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
this sort of tech is already employed by some trucking companies, i know a bloke that let his truck over run the 100 k limiter down a hill by a few k`s,(out in the sticks at the time) a few minutes later received a phone call for being 4 k`s over the limit.
So he goes 4km over the limit and they decide to call him while he's driving? :

Does anyone else see the utter stupidy of that?
Old 13-01-2010, 03:31 PM   #17
mac_man_luke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
...and what if you connect this device to the car's speed limiter? enforced speed limit.
Dont think that will happen because then they cant fine you for speeding :P
Old 13-01-2010, 03:36 PM   #18
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_man_luke
Dont think that will happen because then they cant fine you for speeding :P
Yes they can, they'll let you go 3km/h over the limit, then fine you for each time you do it.
Old 13-01-2010, 03:37 PM   #19
Kamshaaft
Broken eBay Starter Motor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCPWSF
Funnily enough, I wrote an English essay in year 11 (2008) about if the government was so adamant on speeding costs lives, why don't they GPS speed limit cars?

Its quite scary, the worst TV show ever "Big Brother" and now we're all going to be a part of it.
Hahaha what a gem.

I think we're all referring more to a (very famous) book called 1984, by Orson Welles (and where the term comes from). A bit before you time, well before most of ours too, it was written in the 1930's as a sci-fi but much of it has (alarmingly) come into being since it was written, especially in the UK, where it was based. Go look up the themes and such for it.
Old 13-01-2010, 03:52 PM   #20
balthazarr

Where to begin?

Ignoring all of the privacy/control/freedom implications...

How accurate/complete is the speed limit data? I know from my GPS data that there are plenty of places where the data is inaccurate.

What about temporary changes to the limits - such as roadworks, dynamic speed limits, etc.?

Example: Limit is temporarily 40 in a 60 zone as there are roadworks... driver, relying on the 'beep', drives at ~55 km/h (after all, the car will beep to notify the driver that they're speeding). Driver gets pinged for driving 15 km/h over the speed limit - 'But officer... my car didn't beep at me, I couldn't have been speeding...'
Old 13-01-2010, 03:56 PM   #21
Serial_Fool
Whipper Snappa

The government in this land needs a big shake up. This isn't a 1930's dictatorship, THIS IS AUSTRALIA.

If only the masses were more concerned about their civil liberties....

This is just the beginning, soon the government will introduce a timing system, if you get from a certain location to another location under a certain time, you were naturally speeding right? Instant fine.
Old 13-01-2010, 04:03 PM   #22
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serial_Fool
The government in this land needs a big shake up. This isn't a 1930's dictatorship, THIS IS AUSTRALIA.

If only the masses were more concerned about their civil liberties....

This is just the beginning, soon the government will introduce a timing system, if you get from a certain location to another location under a certain time, you were naturally speeding right? Instant fine.
Maaaate, they've been doing that in Victoria for years!
Old 13-01-2010, 04:22 PM   #23
Serial_Fool
Whipper Snappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
My god....thats scary. Be thankful we still have our guns for a future revolution....oh wait.

:togo:
Old 13-01-2010, 04:43 PM   #24
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They could at least make it continually beep or say "YOU ARE SPEEDING SLOW THE F DOWN" until the driver reduces their speed to the limit, nobody is going to care about a beep unless it actually fines them.

Maybe have the hazards go off too so it really ticks them off
Old 13-01-2010, 04:55 PM   #25
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
I was heading up the Hume I think it was and there where these white painted lines on the road, Dad said they used to use a helicopter to time how fast you got between those two points or something.
Old 13-01-2010, 05:15 PM   #26
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCPWSF
I was heading up the Hume I think it was and there where these white painted lines on the road, Dad said they used to use a helicopter to time how fast you got between those two points or something.
I'm not sure of the specifics of the speed over time camera systems, but I know that they average out your speed based on the time it took you to get between 2 "checkpoints". You could potentially do 20km over and not get caught if you dropped back to 80km, as long as it averages out to be nothing less more than 3km over. It's a c#*t of a system if you ask me!
Old 13-01-2010, 05:59 PM   #27
SVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamshaaft
Does anyone else think that even the proposal for such a scheme is just downright scary? They've got this, internet censorship (so we'll be in with North Korea, China, and Iran), and a whole swag of other . Add on to that the already massively impacting discrimination of everyone who likes cars at all being marginalised and written off as a 'hoon' and the ridiculous punishments for and stigmas inflicted on people...

In my mind there's little difference between a yellow star of david stitched to the chest and the term hoon.
Hitler had a quote that just about sums up our government,

(i cant remember it exactly but....)
As long as you do things that in the perception of the people is for the children then the people will let you take away all their rights and freedoms, as long as its for the protection of the children.
Old 13-01-2010, 06:08 PM   #28
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
So he goes 4km over the limit and they decide to call him while he's driving? :

Does anyone else see the utter stupidy of that?
its not that bad they`re fitted with hands free.
Old 13-01-2010, 06:23 PM   #29
cant
CANT !!!!!!!!

I have to agree with most every comment

Particularly Brent`s, and this dictatorship of what we call a sociaty is slowly being over-run by our would be representatives !

The roads are sh 1 t, if half the fuel excise, fuel tax and fines actually went into roads we would be driving on three lanes of GOLD !!!!!!!!!
How about (in vic) we have roads like QLD, were there are whole suburbs just an interchange off the "FREE WAY", not a suburb tacked on to another suburb with a 50-60 limit between ????????? (like Grovedale/ Torquay will be in a few years)

its all revenue based, PARTICULARLY REGO, and we have to have more Government to manage these programs, with more government watching each others departments till we all work for them and implode or blow ones brains out :

CHEERS..................

Better to be late, than
VERY LATE !!!! :

YEAH HA !!!!!!!!
Old 13-01-2010, 06:59 PM   #30
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I like how they fix up the roads up my way, they draw a circle around the problem area with chalk then leave, or if you're lucky put up "roadwork ahead 60km/h signs" for 3 weeks when there is actually no work happening there, just signs.

Oh and twice they just chucked stones on the road and reduced the speed limit, 2 days later all the stones where on the grass on the side of the road. No tar with those stones, just stones.
Closed Thread