View Poll Results: Time to stand up for our selves
YES 29 64.44%
NO 16 35.56%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17-01-2010, 03:13 AM   #1
GT290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Is the Government handling this the right way

By reducing Newell Hwy speed limit, by placing speed cameras in suburban streets instead of speed humps. GPS speed alerts so we don't have to drive watching the speedo (but we can still cop a fine) and by simply placing hundreds more of these hidden or concealed safety cameras along all our roads in the hope we will pull over for more coffee breaks and not kill our selves with fatigue.

Is the the governmant managing our road safety the right way, is ther somthing more or even something different they could be doing. I mean things evlove like safety in the work place is an ever changing and evolving thing. Safety documents are not cemented, meaning they are live documents that change with circumstance.

Is it time the public stepped in and petitioned the government for a better system or another way of managing the current problems they are face with. Lets face it its not only their problem its each and evry one who drives the roads wether it be long haul country or around the city. I for one don't want the system they place out there to fail and the next head on is someone asleep in front of me!
I have had enough of hearing about speed cameras and revenue raising being the main mechinism for better road safety which is clearly not working.

Australia has a small population compared to say the UK. So they need to raise mony some how granted but, couldn't they come up with a better and more honest solution for that and attack road safety with another aproach. This may also relax our population on the roads and restore some trust and actually gain better results in the long term.

Simply vote Yes or No for a petition or some sort of public protest.

Old 17-01-2010, 04:05 AM   #2
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

For the government to do something that involves common sense, and is done with the publics best interest in mind goes completely against everything they stand for. To change that would require nothing short of a miracle.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2010, 04:13 AM   #3
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
For the government to do something that involves common sense, and is done with the publics best interest in mind goes completely against everything they stand for. To change that would require nothing short of a miracle.

or electing our own independent.
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2010, 04:18 AM   #4
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd_on20s
or electing our own independent.
That would be a miracle in itself.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2010, 08:02 AM   #5
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Somebody, please protect the selves!
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2010, 08:27 AM   #6
Agent86
Not so low, not so slow.

Education, not Stealth Enforcement.

some will always believe they know better, but a better driver training system, coupled with better education, will reduce the road toll where possible.

Given the increases in licenced drivers each year, its an amazement that the toll can manage to drop at all. even if it remained static, it would be good.

You will never achieve a 0 road toll, as where there are humans, there are mistakes.
Stop using excuses to further restrict us.

Australia is a Free country? I dont think so.
Agent86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2010, 09:02 AM   #7
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

In order to better understand the debate I think that it is prudent that we also ask WHY the government is doing things the way that they are.
The reason as I understand things is that the RTA / road authority / council is required to take remedial action folowing ANY accident resulting in injury or death. The action is based upon the main 'contributor' to the accident. In the case of poor road / intersection redesign (normally resulting in an upgrade from Give Way sign to traffic lights lights / road resurfacing)
Sad / EASY part of it is that the powers that be can also deem inappropriate speed to be the cause, with the corrective action to be taken, being simply to remove speed from the equation - via increasing enforcement, OR reducing posted limits. The argument of inappropriate speed whilst it may be 'partially' legitimate, fails to take into account increased density of road users(including increased numbers of B Double semi trailors - I am yet to be convinced that there are no alternatives available for these on the states roads - especially in built up areas) OR vehicle safety limits (why is it legal to be travelling on multilane freeways in say a Model T Ford built out of tin & board, with a B double full of molten tar on one side, and on the other the latest model car with all the modern safety equipment?
*Please note - I do realise that ANY vehicle is capable of having an accident involving fatalities, and make no judgment as to the abilities of drivers of above mentioned vehicles. There are bad apples in every bunch, but you don't throw the lot out because of one worm*
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2010, 09:50 AM   #8
prydey
Rob

http://www.news.com.au/national/five...-1225820457735

the govt keep making these sort of changes because the message just isn't getting through.

the public want to see the govt 'doing' something to try to reduce the ever growing road toll.

there are laws in place, and yet if someone breaks those laws and causes a fatality, they are deemed not strict enough and so the govt feels the need to make changes.

there are 5 less kids in the world now because they found it necessary to squeeze 6 into a 5 person car and travel at speeds beyond their talent. if you were the cop that had to continually clean this mess up, you would want speed restrictions enforced too. the fact that there are those that just don't get it, or refuse to conform, means it becomes harder for everyone.

instead of whinging on here about the govt, why don't all the forum members agree to be a lot more patient on the road and treat it as a privilege and not a right.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2010, 09:56 AM   #9
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

I do not believe speed cameras save lives, but just add bills to the next of kin to worry about. This is nothing more than another money grab by state gov in general. Here in QLD the state road toll was target 650 back in 1978 and the population was about a 3rd of what it was now, QLD now hovers around 300-350 a year which is attributed to the better roads.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2010, 10:01 AM   #10
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
http://www.news.com.au/national/five...-1225820457735

the govt keep making these sort of changes because the message just isn't getting through.

the public want to see the govt 'doing' something to try to reduce the ever growing road toll.

there are laws in place, and yet if someone breaks those laws and causes a fatality, they are deemed not strict enough and so the govt feels the need to make changes.

there are 5 less kids in the world now because they found it necessary to squeeze 6 into a 5 person car and travel at speeds beyond their talent. if you were the cop that had to continually clean this mess up, you would want speed restrictions enforced too. the fact that there are those that just don't get it, or refuse to conform, means it becomes harder for everyone.

instead of whinging on here about the govt, why don't all the forum members agree to be a lot more patient on the road and treat it as a privilege and not a right.
As sad as it is, how was a camera going to save those 5 teenagers, as they were going to break the law any way. would not better education be better or a more constant police presence on the road be better?
Old 17-01-2010, 10:07 AM   #11
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Perhaps the camera would not have saved them. But the government could have earned some money from them as they sped past just before the crash.

The idea of increased police presence on the road is good. But the easy way out is cameras because the ony thing it targets is speeding, and that's not always the cause of a crash, they just want you to think it is.

We're heading towards George Orwells 1984 faster than you all realise. With the increase of Camera's on the roads - the installation of surveillance cameras in major suburbs (I myself have been involved with Randwick installing surveillance around Coogee) - Big Brother will be watching you everywhere you go.

Lukeyson
Old 17-01-2010, 10:29 AM   #12
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo20btt
As sad as it is, how was a camera going to save those 5 teenagers, as they were going to break the law any way. would not better education be better or a more constant police presence on the road be better?

where did i say there should've been a camera? i'm saying, individuals should start behaving on the road and not treating it like some sort of playground. shoving 6 people in a car and driving at speeds fast enough to rip a car apart when it hits a tree is extremely irresponsible and has now caused a lot of greif and heartache to all concerned.

the message of road safety isn't getting through. the govt will continually hit us all in the hip pocket until it does.

what the govt would like is for people to 'police' themselves. why do people need constant supervision to behave?
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2010, 10:33 AM   #13
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Letting drivers self regulate will become a thing of the past.

I predict that in the next few years, governments will insist that manufacturers install
interactive speed control and vehicle tracking systems in cars to prevents speeding
above the designated limits and reports hoon activities.

Like it or not, I see a day when invasive government regulation takes away the fun factor of driving
and we all give up and take the bus, train or taxi.....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2010, 10:39 AM   #14
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
where did i say there should've been a camera? i'm saying, individuals should start behaving on the road and not treating it like some sort of playground. shoving 6 people in a car and driving at speeds fast enough to rip a car apart when it hits a tree is extremely irresponsible and has now caused a lot of grief and heartache to all concerned.

the message of road safety isn't getting through. the govt will continually hit us all in the hip pocket until it does.

what the govt would like is for people to 'police' themselves. why do people need constant supervision to behave?
I assumed your comment was based on the thread topic, apparently it was not how ever you are right, the message is not getting through, may be driver education is a big stumbling point with the Gov, or not enough police on the roads as well, I have no probs with paying a little extra if the gov gave some where where the younger can go & not get hurt, or defensive driving courses, but at the moment the gov takes & gives nothing in return, but putting the blame on the total public.
Old 17-01-2010, 10:41 AM   #15
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80

I predict that in the next few years, governments will insist that manufacturers install
interactive speed control and vehicle tracking systems in cars to prevents speeding

Like it or not, I see a day when invasive government regulation takes away the fun factor of driving
Then we will all be killed in a train derailment, god forbid.
Old 17-01-2010, 10:42 AM   #16
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
above the designated limits
Heaven help us if this day ever arrives....

I would sincerely hope that enough people show enough common sense to protest against this, if they ever try and introduce something like this...
Old 17-01-2010, 10:43 AM   #17
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I assumed your comment was based on the thread topic, apparently it was not how ever you are right, the message is not getting through, may be driver education is a big stumbling point with the Gov, or not enough police on the roads as well, I have no probs with paying a little extra if the gov gave some where where the younger can go & not get hurt, or defensive driving courses, but at the moment the gov takes & gives nothing in return, but putting the blame on the total public.
You cant educate people who already think they know better... you cant tell me these people dont already know wreckless driving and excessive speeding is illegal and dangerous, driver training is pointless if the driver doesnt have common sense.... More visible police is fine but these people just try to out run them....

Old 17-01-2010, 10:46 AM   #18
Matty4
Banana

I'm confused......
Do I vote YES...that it's time to standup for ourselves???
Do I vote NO... the Govt is not handling this the right way???
Old 17-01-2010, 10:47 AM   #19
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

I am sure they will think of some thing better, like a printer in the dash board, so as you go through the camera or forget to put on your seat belt on a little fine is printed out with your picture of you speeding or without your seat belt and the amount that you will be fined, come to think of it I cannot see why they cannot do it now. :
Old 17-01-2010, 10:49 AM   #20
Matty4
Banana

Quote:

That will never happen...
Once everyone has been made to comply and brainwashed into obeying all speed limits, watch the revenue fall dramatically....they can't afford to have us all drive at the speed limit.
Old 17-01-2010, 10:51 AM   #21
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
You cant educate people who already think they know better... you cant tell me these people dont already know wreckless driving and excessive speeding is illegal and dangerous, driver training is pointless if the driver doesnt have common sense.... More visible police is fine but these people just try to out run them....
I suppose it depends on how far the gov will go to teaching some one that they can die in an accident, may be make compulsory classes that have to go to accident wards to see first hand what hitting a pole at 140kph can do to some one?
Old 17-01-2010, 10:55 AM   #22
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:

that will never happen, govco connot afford those types of losses.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2010, 10:55 AM   #23
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4
Once everyone has been made to comply and brainwashed into obeying all speed limits, watch the revenue fall dramatically....they can't afford to have us all drive at the speed limit.
+1
I think this is what it is all about.
Old 17-01-2010, 10:56 AM   #24
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:

above the designated limits
and reports hoon activities.

This technology is already available, and proved to work, but at the moment it is deemed a bit Big Brotherish and an infringment on your rights...

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2010, 10:57 AM   #25
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

the government handles everything the wrong way - they need to come onto aff and look at a "speed camera/hoon/etc. thread" and then ask the most vocal members what to do. they are the most learned and correct
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2010, 10:58 AM   #26
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The population (in general) seem to think that a licence is a right. I don't think so. When there are other people's lives at stake, you having a licence is a privilege.

To that end, IMO every learner going for there licence should not simply have to pass a 20 minute driving test and a computer test but (at the very least) a full day defensive driving course as well. If they don't pass that, back to the start of the queue. As far as I'm concerned they can pay for it themselves. I've done one (was given it as a gift) and it has helped me out a few times. Even if they only put it into practice once, that knowing how to brake properly on a wet road, how far back to stay from the car in-front etc may save their life on that one occasion. Once is enough.

I have no problem with govts putting speed camera's in, dropping speed limits etc and raising revenue - governments need revenue to survive and pay for road maintenance. I do have a problem with them saying it's purely to save lives.

Speed camera's raise revenue. EDUCATION saves lives. Knowing how to drive properly saves lives.
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2010, 11:18 AM   #27
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulos
In order to better understand the debate I think that it is prudent that we also ask WHY the government is doing things the way that they are.
The reason as I understand things is that the RTA / road authority / council is required to take remedial action folowing ANY accident resulting in injury or death. The action is based upon the main 'contributor' to the accident. In the case of poor road / intersection redesign (normally resulting in an upgrade from Give Way sign to traffic lights lights / road resurfacing)
Sad / EASY part of it is that the powers that be can also deem inappropriate speed to be the cause, with the corrective action to be taken, being simply to remove speed from the equation - via increasing enforcement, OR reducing posted limits. The argument of inappropriate speed whilst it may be 'partially' legitimate, fails to take into account increased density of road users(including increased numbers of B Double semi trailors - I am yet to be convinced that there are no alternatives available for these on the states roads - especially in built up areas) OR vehicle safety limits (why is it legal to be travelling on multilane freeways in say a Model T Ford built out of tin & board, with a B double full of molten tar on one side, and on the other the latest model car with all the modern safety equipment?
*Please note - I do realise that ANY vehicle is capable of having an accident involving fatalities, and make no judgment as to the abilities of drivers of above mentioned vehicles. There are bad apples in every bunch, but you don't throw the lot out because of one worm*
because the only way the government can enforce it's BS is thru a "fear "factor" and pandering to lobby groups, that way it can do the least amount of work while claiming to actuaally be doing a lot.

wouldnt you think uniform road rules should be start?
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2010, 11:26 AM   #28
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
This technology is already available, and proved to work, but at the moment it is deemed a bit Big Brotherish and an infringment on your rights...
If the government presented it as a safety initiative designed to prevent inadvertent over speeding in areas, I think they would get away with it.

Kinda like active cruise and speed control thrown together.....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2010, 11:58 AM   #29
durtyharry

Quote:
Sure a camera that took a photo of this event on the night would have done nothing, but it would not be true to say that cameras havent stopped more of this happening.

Only the gullible would believe that this was the first time the 19year old driver had exceeded the speed limit, probably this was just the last of many reckless escapades he had undertaken and pushed this last one too far.

If he had been gps tracked since being licenced, chances are he would have already been put off the road well before this incident, or would have never driving recklessly in the first place.

I agree with the sentiments of others, its not about driver training, its about deterring/preventing them from doing stupid things in the first place.
durtyharry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #30
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by durtyharry
Sure a camera that took a photo of this event on the night would have done nothing, but it would not be true to say that cameras havent stopped more of this happening
i normally try and not put down the cameras - for sure, the primary function is to raise revenue, but we know where they are and therefore should not get caught too many times -
however
it is my view that speed cameras contribute to this type of accident. the police presence on our road is virtually non existent - and most of the inforcing is done through cameras
the problem is that we all know where the cameras are and therefore (some) drive accordingly past them. however once past the camera, we also know there is little chance of the police catching us, so we can then put our foot down. over the last few years there seems to have been an alarming increase in silly single vehicle accidents (or dual vehicle when they are both heading in the same direction). it is my view that speed cameras and lack of police presence are a contributing factor
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post