Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 10:44 PM   #1
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default No Overdrive

Hey guys i just realised for the last week or so that my car isnt going into over drive doing 100kms and hour

It changes into 4th at 80 kms and hour and when i hit 100 theres no drop in revs or even at 120 its still revving 4th gear out

When i have the econ off it does it and when i turn it on theres no difference still the same,

It still has warrenty on the box,

I was told either is the solinoids or the oil pump in the box it self isnt working

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
Old 05-08-2010, 11:13 PM   #2
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like one of the solenoids that controls the converter lockup..

Take it back to the guy who did the work for you and let him worry about it?

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
Old 05-08-2010, 11:16 PM   #3
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It still under warrenty from the wreckers, wreckers are getting taken to a auto trans place on monday morning to be looked at and put on the machine, if its fixable they pay for it if its not i get another box,

Just wanted to no peoples thoughts

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
Old 05-08-2010, 11:21 PM   #4
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

huh i thought 4th was overdrive?
Old 05-08-2010, 11:32 PM   #5
peterban
AULTD

I think the torque converter locks up to drop the revs not the gear box.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:36 PM   #6
WMD351
Size it up

Is that what they call "phony fifth"?
Old 06-08-2010, 07:36 AM   #7
The Monty
Just slidin'

"Overdrive" is just the term used for the gearbox/torque converter dropping the revs around 300 rpm iirc over a certain RPM to retain awesome fuel economy. Its also in 3rd gear. Under light loads though it should lock up a lot earlier than 80k's an hour. I cant check in my car though as my torque converter doesnt have this function.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:52 AM   #8
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Overdrive is 4th because the gearbox ratio is greater than 1:1.
You're thinking about torque converter lockup as the monty says.
this was discussed pretty comprehensively just a week or two ago
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11303485
Old 06-08-2010, 10:29 AM   #9
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

correctamundo, ,overdrive is a ratio numerically less at the input shaft of the gearbox to a greater speed at the output shaft, direct gear is when both spin at the same speed.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:55 AM   #10
Mr Hardware

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
direct gear is when both spin at the same speed.
which is 3rd gear in a falcon and most 4 speed autos, ie it's nearly always your penultimate gear
Old 06-08-2010, 03:55 PM   #11
The Monty
Just slidin'

ie: The gear they run your car on the dyno with as it has the least amount of loss, and is the most direct drive from engine to diff.
Just adding to the wealth of knowledge we have.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:01 PM   #12
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks guys, rep coming your way
Old 06-08-2010, 05:11 PM   #13
Mr Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
thanks bloke
Old 06-08-2010, 08:26 PM   #14
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks guys

Old 08-08-2010, 07:34 PM   #15
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

car is off to the auto place tommoro to sort the problem out, will update and let ya no how it goes cheers

Old 08-08-2010, 09:49 PM   #16
sleeper393

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
just a question off subject , how do you get reps , and how do you give them. cheers
123.4 GROUND TEARING RWKW'S , LOL
Old 08-08-2010, 10:19 PM   #17
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper393
just a question off subject , how do you get reps , and how do you give them. cheers
Refer here:
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11258737
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
Old 08-08-2010, 10:37 PM   #18
sleeper393

thanks jc , reps coming your way ,
123.4 GROUND TEARING RWKW'S , LOL
Old 08-08-2010, 10:59 PM   #19
Mr Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by frd906
car is off to the auto place tommoro to sort the problem out, will update and let ya no how it goes cheers
8-ball says = no problem found
Old 08-08-2010, 11:44 PM   #20
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually thats not the only problem its having any ways, its free revving when i manually downshift to 2nd gear with no gas on,

Down shift from D to 3, pulls the car back, Shift from 3 to 2, revs drop under 1000rpm and stays there, dosent even pull the car back or dosent even do anything

With my old box, id shift from 3 to 2 and instance pull back this one dosent even do it at all

Lucky for me its still under warrenty, if they deem it fixable they will pay for it to be fixed if its worse then that, they give me another box and ill put it away as a spare and just keep driving this one till it shits it self,

Old 09-08-2010, 12:23 AM   #21
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like 2nd gear is gone
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Old 09-08-2010, 12:56 AM   #22
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol im still driving it around and 2nd gear aint gone, still drives fine, but the wierd thing is, when i manually downshift with gas on from D to 3 then 3 to 2nd it changes goes into 2nd gear fine

But dosent do it with gas off, or rolling down a hill

Old 09-08-2010, 01:06 AM   #23
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To explain it better

When im driving along with my foot on the pedal say doing 80 kms, i will downshift from D to 3rd, goes into 3 instantly, revs go up, so then i will downshift from 3rd to 2nd, same thing, revs goes higher and it drops instantly into second, then i proceed to upshift back to D

But

When im doing 80 kms an hour with no foot on the gas, i drop it from D to 3, and it goes in and pulls the car back, then i drop it from 3rd to 2nd, still with no foot on the pedal, the revs drop under 1000rpm and stay there, dosent even bother to come back up,

But as soon as i touch the pedal, its in second gear and i just proceed to upshift,

So its not like it not going into 2nd, just that i cant feel it go in untill i touch the pedal and its there,

Hope i make sense lmao, trying to explain it

Old 09-08-2010, 09:30 AM   #24
Mr Hardware

mine does exactly the same thing, and has done so for the last 90,000klms
i believe the issue is with the sprag gear or sprag clutch or some such thing
it's one of those pay several hundred dollars to fix something incredibly minor
if you wanted a perfect box then you shouldn't have got a wreckers special
sounds like you've got champagne tastes for beer money, it ain't gonna happen mate
Old 09-08-2010, 01:30 PM   #25
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ill find out tommoro as they need the car for a couple of days, to go through it, like i said its still under warrenty if they find if they cant fix it, i get another gear box for nothing, and if thats the case ill wait till the one in the car dies and do a swap,

Old 09-08-2010, 03:56 PM   #26
Mr Hardware

we used to buy boxes from the wreckers for the cabs
we must have bought one or two a month for over a year
never found a single one that was good
it'd either thump or flare or wouldn't change down or wouldn't lockup in top or take ages to go into reverse
every time we thought we had a good'un it'd die in 4 or 5 months
we just ended getting rebuilt boxes after that
$1250 fitted they were
they put em in and take em out
they do the oil (at their cost)
they cover for proper full one or two year warranty
they guarantee it'll be right the first time, cos they drive it with it in
i've seen it all, and i'd never in a million years touch a wreckers box, it's a sucker's game
Old 09-08-2010, 10:45 PM   #27
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

So is this why in 3rd and 4th it sometimes feels like its changed gear slightly without actually changing gears? I always wondered, as sometimes in 3rd coming up a hill I'll put my foot down a bit and its like it has gone back a gear, but definitely hasn't dropped into 2nd. If that makes sense?
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:13 PM   #28
Mr Hardware

Yes thats right riksta. That's just the torque converter unlocking. Lock and unlock in third is very, very subtle and often missed - but the lockup of 4th is quite pronounced in the BTR boxes, leading to the term 'fake fifth' it's so contrasting.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:22 PM   #29
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Thanks Mr Hardware.

I always wondered why giving it a little juice seemed to cause it like it was dropping a gear, without putting the foot down far or hard enough to actually kick it back a gear. To tell the truth I'm trying to think, don't think I've really noticed it in 4th but definitely have noticed it in 3rd.

Next time I drive it (later this week - its getting a back door fixed where someone backed into it in a carpark) I'll get it in 4th on the highway and have a play and see if I notice it.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:25 PM   #30
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Had the '5th' gear being very erratic on the freeway at a steady speed ..... going from 2000 to 2200 and back again at will. I did have a slight leak and over a period of time as the level dropped, it got worse. $85.00 service got it back spot on .....

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Closed Thread