Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-09-2010, 05:38 PM   #1
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Wreckers in Sydney

Been to several wreckers in Sydney today looking for wheels for my EF . Been a while since I have had to go to some wrecking yards I frequented in my youth . Virtually to a yard they were rude , ignorant , totally unknowlegable and so indifferent I would not do business with any of them no matter what the prices were . And speaking of prices most were off the planet anyway . Is this what wrecking yards have become these days ? That said the two I use regularly ( who did not have what I wanted ) are quite pleasant and realistic with prices ( well for 90% of stuff anyway ) . Quite deeply shocked and moreso dismayed with my experience today . Anyone else had this experience ?

Cheers Kenny

wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2010, 05:43 PM   #2
adelaidecrows02

I experience it daily - I am a wrecker,lol. there are still alot of old school wrecking yards out there, but now some of the youngish blood like myself are taking over.
Old 28-09-2010, 05:56 PM   #3
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's one out in Smithfield, a Ford wrecker but i can't remember their name. They were helpful when I went around there. Didn't have what i needed though
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2010, 06:00 PM   #4
jeff3112

Yeah i have been to alot of them recently and at most of them i have found the same thing,keep you standing at the counter for what i think is an unresonable amount of time considering you can see them just talking to each other.
I wanted a power steering pump and i found one at a wrecker (won't mention the name) he said they had what i wanted so i go to get the pump and he say's it is still on the car and he can't get it off for at least a few day's.
I think ok i don't need to use the car so i will wait the few day's and when i tell him this his reply was sorry we are not ready to wreck this car yet.
Like what's with all the **** beforehand,if you are not ready don,t tell people to come all the way down and get the part.
Also the price of $250 for a (USED NO WARRANTY)power steeing pump i thought was a bit steep?
But yes it seem's as if you are disrupting there day by going there and it also seem's that they don't care if they sell you anything or not,no customer service at all.
But i have found a couple that have been excellent though but still pricey.
That's my rant for the day.

Jeff.
jeff3112 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2010, 06:03 PM   #5
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Bit of a bugbear of mine as well. Melbourne is no different. Seems to be a very arrogant trade for some reason ..... whether its because they have to deal with silly questions everyday or its just that don't give a continental, I don't understand it. Like all business I am sure there are some good ones out there .... yet to come across many though.

With the exception to the good wreckers out there (FTG Auto Salvage)

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2010, 06:03 PM   #6
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While I've never met Darren at FTG Auto Salvage in person, I'd have to say from my dealings with him on the phone and internet that he is one of the nicest blokes I've dealt with - must be from the new school I'd say

But yeah I hear ya...some are quite intimidating as well.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2010, 07:21 PM   #7
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
There's one out in Smithfield, a Ford wrecker but i can't remember their name. They were helpful when I went around there. Didn't have what i needed though
Fordpro is what your thinking of. Mccarthur spares are the go!
Old 28-09-2010, 07:22 PM   #8
billkara

FEV, are you talking about Ford Pro?

When i was looking for a gearbox the other month (T5 for my el xr6), they said they had one that has just came out of a 97 EL falcon with 121,000 kms on the clock. I said ill take it, and went to get some money out and when i came back they had the box ready on the floor. This thing looked newish and as he was writing up the paper work, i decided to look at the tags... it said 86DA######... that means this box is XF/EA!!

I turn to the guy and say, this box is from XF/EA, and he turns to me, shrugs his shoulders and says "its the same thing..."
This a%^hole lied to me, making up a story its from an EL with 121k on the clock, and then tried to deceive me by cleaning it up!!!
I told him no its not, and I dont want it, and i thought he was giving me a box with 121k on it. Then he proceeded to tell me that theres another on the shelf that has the part number 94DA######, but he is not getting it down cause its too high and they are closing soon... what a complete moron this guy was.
He was quite surprised when i told him that he lied to me and that he tried to trick me especially in front of other customers!! haha. He didnt expect me to pick up on it and his face was priceless.

The other guy there thought he'd try and make up for it and pulled down the other box for me, and i made them write on the reciept that if the box is noisey in any way when i put it in the car, that i can bring it back. First thing i did was drive straight to my gearbox guy, and he pulled it apart in front of me (condition was perfect).

Very lucky i knew what i was looking for... bloody degenerates trying to con people!
billkara is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2010, 07:31 PM   #9
creative
I am Batman

having never used a scrappers over here, are they like the ones in the uk whereby you can just have a wander around the yard looking for parts or is it all over the counter stuff?

I love having a nosey around wrecked cars and I always found other stuff that would fit/make fit my cars.
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2010, 07:46 PM   #10
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most wreckers nowadays WONT let you wonder around anymore

Theres one wrecker i know, when you ring enquiring about stuff
They write it in a book when you call and your enquiry and the price they quoted
You would be surprised how many argue on the price
Ive gone to wreckers at lunch time,money in hand and you no i had to wait 1 hour before any assistance
If your in the wrecking/parting out game ,when is the time to pull the parts
When the customer is standing with money in hand would be a start

Its not just wreckers that hire undertrained staff
Dont get me started on supacheeeeeeep
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2010, 08:06 PM   #11
adelaidecrows02

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff3112
Yeah i have been to alot of them recently and at most of them i have found the same thing,keep you standing at the counter for what i think is an unresonable amount of time considering you can see them just talking to each other.
I wanted a power steering pump and i found one at a wrecker (won't mention the name) he said they had what i wanted so i go to get the pump and he say's it is still on the car and he can't get it off for at least a few day's.
I think ok i don't need to use the car so i will wait the few day's and when i tell him this his reply was sorry we are not ready to wreck this car yet.
Like what's with all the **** beforehand,if you are not ready don,t tell people to come all the way down and get the part.
Also the price of $250 for a (USED NO WARRANTY)power steeing pump i thought was a bit steep?
But yes it seem's as if you are disrupting there day by going there and it also seem's that they don't care if they sell you anything or not,no customer service at all.
But i have found a couple that have been excellent though but still pricey.
That's my rant for the day.

Jeff.
Definately over priced, and no warranty is wrong. We offer at least a 3 month warranty on our parts - I believe if you dont, then you dont have faith in your own product....
Old 28-09-2010, 09:35 PM   #12
creative
I am Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
Most wreckers nowadays WONT let you wonder around anymore

Theres one wrecker i know, when you ring enquiring about stuff
They write it in a book when you call and your enquiry and the price they quoted
You would be surprised how many argue on the price
Ive gone to wreckers at lunch time,money in hand and you no i had to wait 1 hour before any assistance
If your in the wrecking/parting out game ,when is the time to pull the parts
When the customer is standing with money in hand would be a start

Its not just wreckers that hire undertrained staff
Dont get me started on supacheeeeeeep
well that is quite frankly... crap! lol

you cant beat having a root around wreckers!
Old 28-09-2010, 09:52 PM   #13
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

FordPro ... are ... average to okayish.

Macarthur Parts Plus at Smeaton Grange have been excellent when it comes to service and having the items ... not too badly priced. Clean premises and items are neatly catalogued as well (also they sell items on ebay as well)

Other than those in Sydney ... i have bought a bit from Darren at FTG in Vic and had it delivered ... good priced and service and a forum sponsor to boot.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2010, 10:04 PM   #14
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative
having never used a scrappers over here, are they like the ones in the uk whereby you can just have a wander around the yard looking for parts or is it all over the counter stuff?

I love having a nosey around wrecked cars and I always found other stuff that would fit/make fit my cars.
Alot in Melbourne let you wander around the yard. Some large ones here, especially pick a part in Kilsyth which has a massive range of XF to EL with a few more AU's now coming in. They turn them over constantly and prices are reasonable. You can also get a warranty with most parts. The best thing is there is no one giving you grief over the counter unlike a lot of the smaller ones around. Bad thing is ..... advice is very limited so you need to know what you want but its easy with the whole car looking at you. Also good practice on removing some items before doing it for real!

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 09:04 AM   #15
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You definately cant beat the wrecker scrounge
Generally you find something for something else,or perhaps a future project
But with increasing land values and all the "sue this and that" going on
Oh and of course the light fingered brigade i can really see how this favorite past time is dwiddling
Must be time i head down to the big smoke with tape in hand for the
"Day at the wreckers"
Few ideas rolling around
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 11:04 AM   #16
creative
I am Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Alot in Melbourne let you wander around the yard. Some large ones here, especially pick a part in Kilsyth which has a massive range of XF to EL with a few more AU's now coming in. They turn them over constantly and prices are reasonable. You can also get a warranty with most parts. The best thing is there is no one giving you grief over the counter unlike a lot of the smaller ones around. Bad thing is ..... advice is very limited so you need to know what you want but its easy with the whole car looking at you. Also good practice on removing some items before doing it for real!

Glad to see that some still allow it then. As for limited advice, not an issue, I know my way round cars very well.

Will have to find where my local one is then... any one know, central coast area?
Old 29-09-2010, 01:34 PM   #17
dannyxm
was danny888

Ford Pro at Smithfield- cant rate them enough on random smaller items.
Old 29-09-2010, 01:53 PM   #18
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I remember going in to a wrecker in Chipping Norton, with my toolbox in hand to grab a few things I needed for the XD.

When it came time to pay, they were floored that a teenage girl had come out all on her own, with tools, and got on with it.
Got a 40% standing discount out there because they were so impressed.

Several of the wreckers in Bankstown however, wouldn't even give me the time of day. Those that did obviously thought I wouldn't know that they were trying to rip me off.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 10:24 PM   #19
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I am surprised that no one has mentioned what I think is a pretty good wrecker, Pick and Payless, they are pretty good.
http://www.picknpayless.com.au/
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 10:36 PM   #20
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Smurf
I am surprised that no one has mentioned what I think is a pretty good wrecker, Pick and Payless, they are pretty good.
I like PicknPayless. Nothing I've been out there for has ever cost me more than $2. It has been great for little things like relays and switches, which you would have to buy new, or not be able to get at other wreckers.

I've given up on Fordham wreckers in Tempe. Their service has been pretty average time and time again.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 10:48 PM   #21
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

These guys are alittle too far away for me.. Never had any issues..
http://www.fairfordspares.com.au/aboutus.html
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 11:15 PM   #22
creative
I am Batman

Quote:

interesting!

may have to have a trip there.
Old 30-09-2010, 07:59 AM   #23
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They are one of the two regulars I use who are really good . Gotta love Rushy
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 07:28 PM   #24
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

There's a wrecker here on the outskirts of Newcastle that's been around that long they probably started out parting out the Ark. They have a huge yard yet but never have anything. For example I was chasing a LHF headlight for a VR and could see about half a dozen on cars on the way in. Got to the counter, waited the mandatory 20mins while he spoke to his mate who dropped in before I got the grunt in replace of the question 'Can I help you'. I then got told that nope, we don't have any headlights for that model....... Worse still he isn't open Saturdays, the busiest day of the week.
Mesa is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post