Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-09-2010, 10:34 AM   #1
prydey
Rob

Default Another 'todays youth' thread

http://www.news.com.au/national/teen...-1225932100010

16yrs old!! what on earth goes through the minds of a lot of kids these days. not only will this kid be terribly scarred for life, having incinerated his friend, but is also charged with a range of things including manslaughter.

prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 10:46 AM   #2
sarrge2001
SZII in Silhouette

A terrible thing to have happened and i'm sure we will get the usual range of emotions present in here.

The only point I really want to make is that it's important to realise that kids like this ARE in the minority, but they are the ones you read about, unfortunately.

As I said, a terrible thing to have happened and he WILL have to live with it, but I still have faith in the majority of the youth of today.

Strangers have the best candy.......
sarrge2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great job on raising them Parents... No sympathy. Both kids, their friends and their parents all need to take a closer look on what they are doing.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 12:08 PM   #4
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
Great job on raising them Parents... No sympathy. Both kids, their friends and their parents all need to take a closer look on what they are doing.
bit harsh.
I understand the parents part, but the kids are only 16.
I mean i wasnt doing any of that stuff when i was 16, and yeah they are bloody idiots for doing it, but their parents could of been abusive tarts, and they might not have known any better.
none the less no one deserves to die such a tragic way, he would of seen his friend running away from behind the glass of the car as it burned, absalutely horrible.

I bet for the one who survived, S.*t just got real.
this will be a wake up call for everyone directly involved.
Old 30-09-2010, 12:26 PM   #5
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Holy cow!

How did he not know his mate was in there? Dont know about you guys but when we were stuffing around as kids we always made sure everyone was safe.

This is the bit that doesn't make sense...he would have had to torched it while the "friend" was in there...who does that!

Dont always go blaming the parents outright either...the law may say different but a 16yo knows exactly what they are doing.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 12:28 PM   #6
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
I have to agree with this as a 21 ur old I cop a lot of this with me driving a performance car and I'm to stupid and don't have the maturity and all that crap. But fev has got it perfect I have respectable parents who taught me right and wrong and I got a flogging if I continued to do what I wasn't suppos to. Parents are to scared to do this because they will be accused of beating their kids so they find it better if they don't know what's happening it's out of their control and not their problem.

Personally I believe bring back the smack did me wonders... I sure did the right thing caus I didn't wantthe wooden spoon across the but
Old 30-09-2010, 12:35 PM   #7
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Put it this way, as a youngster we used to blow stuff up with soda bulbs straight off the supermarket shelf, had a BB gun and went shooting pigeons in a disused train station etc.

Now, none of us ever got hurt, we are all well educated and some of us now responsible parents yet none of us became terrorists or mass murders.....

Sometimes people get bad luck, other times people are not completely wired up top, the difference between the two is alot closer than we might want to admit.

In this case though I just cant see how the mate didn't know he was in there unless the kid in the car was the one torching it and stuffed something up. So his mate does a runner scared out of his wits and doesn't want to go back because he knew what happened.

So much we dont know.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 30-09-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 30-09-2010, 12:41 PM   #8
george7

I don't know the parents of this kid, but it is not always the parents fault. A 16 year old kid is definetly grown up enough to make their own decisions and some don't make the right choices. They are teenagers and they may not have thought of the consequences. At the end of the day, to say its all the parents fault is wrong. The kid might just be a rebel.
george7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 12:56 PM   #9
DEVO'S MB XR5T

Sad to read about this... but what sort of parents let there 16 year old wonder the streets at 1.30am??
If i wasnt home by 9pm I got a floggin.... Parents need to be givin back the right to discipline their kids how they seem fit.
DEVO'S MB XR5T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 01:07 PM   #10
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVO'S EL XR6
Sad to read about this... but what sort of parents let there 16 year old wonder the streets at 1.30am??
If i wasnt home by 9pm I got a floggin.... Parents need to be givin back the right to discipline their kids how they seem fit.
Yeah thats pretty bad...but I was going to parties at 16/17/18 and not coming home until midnight (they were not far from home but still).

I grew up in a rural area, so I guess thats the difference. In the city these kids have nothing else to do, no where to go etc. Perhaps the answer is somewhere there....
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 30-09-2010, 01:39 PM   #11
Scott

Stories like this are tough to make a call on - there are so many variables.

I never stole a car, but I had plenty of mates who would go joy-riding when they were bored. They never torched a car that I know of but who really knows?

Most of the kids from that group have grown up to be educated, well-off, law abiding family guys who look back at that time as if it were a different person.

Their parents were all good people who tried to instill good values into their kids but sometimes kids just don't think things through and get a rush of blood that helps them make obvious mistakes.

The little ***** should serve time over this, he's obviously an idiot and probably a scum bag but I do have sympathy for him and plenty for his dead mate and his family.

Fev's comments are just idiotic - maybe one day he'll get a bit more clarity on life.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 02:13 PM   #12
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Holy cow!

How did he not know his mate was in there?
it says in the article, charges could be upgraded. i assumed that meant from manslaughter to murder?? thats just what i thought. could mean anything though. either way, the survivor doesn't have a bright future.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 02:31 PM   #13
Trek
Blue blooded

Stealing the car was low enough (and should never have happened in the first place), without going to the effort of everything else that followed. Something has definitely been omitted here. You don't not realise that you left a mate in the car and then torch it. Not 'good' kids by any means.

It's tragic about the death, though.
Trek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #14
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what a goose egg..

One minute you and your mate are being tools and torching a car, the next you are alone..

mmm pick whats different
Old 30-09-2010, 02:42 PM   #15
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One less car thief in the world - cry me a river.... bet it wasn't the first car he was involved in stealing & torching either.
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 02:44 PM   #16
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B - CV8
One less car thief in the world - cry me a river.... bet it wasn't the first car he was involved in stealing & torching either.
And what if it was the son of your best mate, who you know very well is a good father and does all he can to provide guidance. There comes a point were you cannot control everything they do.

You can lead a horse to water...

Seriously its just a car, and an astra at that, its not the point and if all someone can say is like the above then you might aswell lock this thread now because it serves no purpose.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 30-09-2010, 03:32 PM   #17
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I thought the article says they where stealing belongings, not the car itself?
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 05:08 PM   #18
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B - CV8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
And what if it was the son of your best mate, who you know very well is a good father and does all he can to provide guidance. There comes a point were you cannot control everything they do.

You can lead a horse to water...

Seriously its just a car, and an astra at that, its not the point and if all someone can say is like the above then you might aswell lock this thread now because it serves no purpose.
You are both right.

Ok the problem as I see it is not the end result, but more the series of events that took place that ended in tragedy. After all there is another thread here where some kids were doing donuts on a private piece of land and where a poor lad was knocked over and killed, but they weren't doing any harm to anyone else so, death by misadventure? Perhaps.

However these individuals were
-Up to no good
-They broke into somebody else's car (how many people here have had this happen to them only to find that the perpetrators have gotten away with it? I have even seen threads here where people have eluded to similar endings for the perpetrators as this, if they ever caught them in the act!)
-They stole somebody else's property, allegedly
and as if that was not enough pain for the car owner,
-They decided to torch it to try and destroy any evidence, (how do we know as yet that the one who died was not the one who in fact decided to burn it in the first place?)

End result, a criminal (no matter how petty) died trying to cover his/their tracks, death by misadventure??? After all they were only kids, and even younger than the other kids doing burn outs.

Remove just one of the above points and nobody dies, simple as that.

I know that everyone here thinks that it is nobody else's fault except the victim and his mate or mates and we all know that nobody deserves to die either but, you can't help thinking that at least he won't do it again. Also regardless of what some people here think about his parents, it must have bloody awful for them.

Bud Bud
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 05:11 PM   #19
Falcman0o7
Banned

I look back at things i did when i was 16 and i swear to god i have no idea how i did them. At 16 you simply can't think strait. it's impossible and only time will mature you.
He will have to live with this for the rest of his life if he makes it.
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 05:38 PM   #20
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Horrible way to die, but something seems very odd.

How would you not realize your mate is inside the car while you're in the process of torching it? I'm not an expert on arson, or whatever, but how long would it for the car to burn?

It says the victim couldn't get out. The only way I could see that happening is if the door jammed, or something.

IMO I think there's more to this than a theft gone wrong. Maybe there were holes in their so called "friendship" appearing? A lost love interest perhaps?

Either way no human being deserves to die like that.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 06:56 PM   #21
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcman0o7
I look back at things i did when i was 16 and i swear to god i have no idea how i did them. At 16 you simply can't think strait. it's impossible and only time will mature you.
He will have to live with this for the rest of his life if he makes it.
Bull#hit. You know what is right or wrong - but at that age you get treated a bit differently by the law (ie tried as a child/junior).
I wasn't any angel when I grew up - but I sure knew if what I was doing was wrong. And no, I didn't break into other peoples property - more mundane stuff usually involving firecrackers etc.
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 08:09 PM   #22
3vXT

There is enough blame to spread around here. The 2 guys involved deserve most of it but i'm willing to bet there are things their family could have done differently at some point too. Good kids don't suddenly decide that its ok to steal from and burn someone else's car, there is a reason for everything, even the things wiser, more mature people consider unreasonable.
At the end of the day, they were doing the wrong thing and its their fault but nobody deserves to die for stealing from a car and torching it. I'm sorry they chose to do that and i'm sorry all involved.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 08:27 PM   #23
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

We live in a sick sorry world, that's all I can say
Old 30-09-2010, 08:30 PM   #24
adz193
EL XR6

just thought id add not all of us teenagers are f***wits though

Navy 97' EL XR8
Factory manual | Tickford kit | Pacemakers + Full exhaust
adz193 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 08:30 PM   #25
Baron.LSN
Starter Motor

People are essentially idiots. I know of one guy who got drunk and was ******* around in a car with his best friend, hit a tree and killed the friend. Within only a few years he was at it again, driving drunk and dangerously.

Whilst it is a terrible way to die undoubtedly, my pity is tempered by the fact that they were doing something wrong, and taking it far beyond where it needed to go. The survivor needs to have this burdening him for the rest of his life.
Baron.LSN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post