Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-11-2010, 01:58 PM   #1
arlester

Default IS it the right thing to do

Hi Guys,
I am currently in the process of trying to buy a Civic Type R. The only is I have to trade my 08 Falcon XR6 in to get it.
I know this is a Ford forum but do you think it is the right thing to do.

I want something that is sporty and legal for P platers but I don't need the room that the Falcon offers anymore

arlester is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2010, 02:03 PM   #2
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Well if your going to get rid of the falcon. Why not sell it privately? You will get more that way, & lessen the initial cost of the civic? In the end it's your decision. If the falcon no longer meets your "needs", & the civic does, then it is.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2010, 02:05 PM   #3
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlester
Hi Guys,
I am currently in the process of trying to buy a Civic Type R. The only is I have to trade my 08 Falcon XR6 in to get it.

I want something that is sporty and legal for P platers but I don't need the room that the Falcon offers anymore
Buy the car you want to buy.

It is all a learning experience, you are a new player and Civics are a reasonably safe and nippy little bubble.

You might love it, or hate it or somewhere in between but when you buy your next car and the one after that you will know first hand what two different technologies have to offer.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2010, 02:09 PM   #4
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

The right thing to do is get the car you want. Only you know that. We can't help.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:13 PM   #5
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Civics Type Rs look like fantastic little buggers, why not get it? You only live once.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2010, 02:20 PM   #6
ToCo
Drives a Ute!

The type R's are a great package, I wouldn't have minded owning one when I was on my p's! If you don't need the Falcons offerings anymore I can't see a reason why you shouldn't go for it. But it would be a wise decision to try and sell it privately first, will make the new purchase a lot easier.
As has been said it comes down to the car you want/need.
Good luck whichever way you go, and if you do get it remember to post some pics up for us!
Todd.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:59 PM   #7
gtfpv
GT

what year civic ? if its the same age as the falcon or newer , then why not , if it is older than 3 years old , then no .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2010, 06:11 PM   #8
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Type R will probally be more fun (i.e. Quiker) for a P-Plate car. I say do it.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2010, 07:00 PM   #9
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it is a Civic with a triangle shaped exhaust then YES.

If it's not then, I guess so, maybe.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2010, 07:11 PM   #10
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

If your talking pros and cons of both cars i just traded my AU2 TE50 on a 2010 XR5 Focus and only regret i should have done it sooner, the TE was a great car but i love my 5.
The new civic looks horrid IMO. If it were me and Honda was the choice Integra type R would be the best IMO

At the end of the day mate you have to drive it and if it makes YOU happy thats ALL that matters
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2010, 07:46 PM   #11
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depends. How “special” is the XR6 to you? Ie have you personalised it in any way? Do you have an emotional attachment to the car.
I have been through almost 20 cars in my life, but there a couple I regret selling.
Depends want you want in a car. I once traded an XF sedan on a nippy little Mazda. Mazda was fun, but I missed the effortless power and comfort of the XF.
You could always put the extra money into some better suspension, wheels and tyres for your XR6…
Old 07-11-2010, 10:54 AM   #12
glavas

so your going to trade a large rwd australian sedan with the best local six ever made to buy a small fwd 4 cylinder from japan? what is wrong with kids these days. good luck cruising around with mates or whatever kids do nowadays.

"hey ladies wanna come for a ride? ill flip the seat down and you can squeeze in the back with little leg room and lack of space. you can put your handbag in the boot and dont scratch the subwoofer!!!!!!"

come on man think keep the xr6 get ya exhaust and big rims and all that audio stuff p platers get and just enjoy it. wait till your off ya p plate then get a 8 like everyone else.
im sure a 08 xr6 is worth more then a civic.
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2010, 11:11 AM   #13
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

If that is what you want, it is what you want. I think you'll regret it though. In fact I think your crazy.

Keep the money in your pocket for now. If you still want a smaller car, get an XR5T Focus (all German built) once your off your P's. Little mods go along way with them.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2010, 11:14 AM   #14
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavas
so your going to trade a large rwd australian sedan with the best local six ever made to buy a small fwd 4 cylinder from japan? what is wrong with kids these days. good luck cruising around with mates or whatever kids do nowadays.

"hey ladies wanna come for a ride? ill flip the seat down and you can squeeze in the back with little leg room and lack of space. you can put your handbag in the boot and dont scratch the subwoofer!!!!!!"

come on man think keep the xr6 get ya exhaust and big rims and all that audio stuff p platers get and just enjoy it. wait till your off ya p plate then get a 8 like everyone else.

Or get the civic that is cheaper on fuel, cheaper to rego and probably cheaper to insure for a P plater plus it has more tech inside. Not to mention the fact it will seriously leave a B series XR6 for dead on a twisty road.

We looked at them when we bought the Mini, they are a great car and was high on our list. In all honesty they are a great drive and the main reason we got the Mini over the Civic was because the Mini has some retro cool about it, no other reason.

I say go for it if it is what you want and you do not need the size of the Falcon.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:20 PM   #15
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would never buy one because it isnt a real Type R, its really just a Type S rebadged.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2010, 02:22 PM   #16
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
I would never buy one because it isnt a real Type R, its really just a Type S rebadged.

Could you explain why you say that?
Old 07-11-2010, 02:41 PM   #17
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

So you think it is more important for girls to want to be seen in your car than to be seen with you.........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2010, 02:52 PM   #18
menil
fg pursuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
So you think it is more important for girls to want to be seen in your car than to be seen with you.........
Have you seen some of the women AFL footballers have for girl friends .If it wasnt for the spotlight they would be long gone
menil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2010, 04:19 PM   #19
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Buy the car you want to buy.

It is all a learning experience, you are a new player and Civics are a reasonably safe and nippy little bubble.

You might love it, or hate it or somewhere in between but when you buy your next car and the one after that you will know first hand what two different technologies have to offer.
Don't you mean zippy?

Old 07-11-2010, 04:24 PM   #20
TerritoryTurbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlester
Hi Guys,

Arlester,

I don't think there's a right or wrong here mate, it's what you want in the end. You've obviously been looking at the Civic type R for a while and like it enough to post a thread. I've got a mate with one and he loves it, I've driven it and it's a pretty decent package.

Also, if you don't carry any more than one other person very often, 2 doors is fine. But remember you're not buying the car for others enjoyment, it's for yours...!

I personally wouldn't get one cos I love my Territory, the space and as Crazy Dazz put it; have an emotional attachment to it. But if I wanted a smaller car with that was cheaper on fuel, great fun to drive, etc, it would certainly be on the list.

They also hold their value pretty well I believe, so if you change your mind in a few years you can change back to a bigger car then.

Everyone has their needs and are different, if you like it and day dream about it, then do it. I got my motorbike license about 5 years ago and people said oh no it's too dangerous, etc etc. Yeah, sure, it is, but I didn't wanna get to the age of 80 and say "damn, I wish I'd done that". Life's too short.

Matt.
TerritoryTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2010, 04:30 PM   #21
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Do what you think is best for you mate, personally I would never trade my Falcon in for a Jap car, let alone something so small as a civic, but that's me not you, if your happier with a smaller car then a say go for it, but just remember it wont be anything like owning a Falcon
Old 07-11-2010, 06:20 PM   #22
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by menil
Have you seen some of the women AFL footballers have for girl friends .If it wasnt for the spotlight they would be long gone
TOTAL miss conception , have you seen what happens when AFL footballers and cricketers and sports men of all sorts hang with these girls , they go broke . if a girl likes you she doesnt care about your car , if she does , your on a highway to TROUBLE .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2010, 07:01 PM   #23
Danny
GT4.

Quote:

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!!!!

Okay grandad, I just crapped myself. You know what, I was so expecting this type of comment, but it did not come for a while (most FF'ers are an educated folk when the subject comes to 4 bangers and hatches nowadays), then you came to the shop with this. Oh wow. Spot on clever one you are.

Don't forget buddy, that the XR6 is NOT in any way some sort of sports rocketship. It is a standard XT Falcon with the XR kit, some 3.45 diff gearing, and a bit more weight. Why does this guy "need" a big six?? Why does he "need, a big rwd sedan? Why does he need a car that drinks a lot of fuel and still goes like a taxi? So he can look and feel like a man, and conform to your Coober Pedy Grandpa ideals??

It may have the best local six ever made (certainly NOT the best 6 available in Oz), but compared to Honda 4 cylinder engineering, I'm sorry, but it does not even come close (Honda know their 4 bangers). Remember a BF is still before the FG, which brought even further refinements to the 4L six. It probably has a 4 speed auto, which makes the car a slug, and yes I have owned three utes with the 4speed and 4.0i BA-BF, and they had ample torque granted, but foot to the floor, they were not a quick accelerating car..... full stop. Period.

Let me continue. An 08' XR6 you are looking at around a $15-25K (MAX) mate (Falcon resale is a JOKE), for a Civic type R (latest gen) you are looking still $28-35K (and I love how you just ASSUME that the Civic would be less than the Falcon. Hardy Ha Ha explain to me why you would assume this?). And there is a BIG few reasons why.

1. The Civic Type R is fairly quick (would pip an Auto BF XR6 in a straight line, and say bye bye as soon as anything resembling a curve came near), reasonable inside, fairly focused (albeit nowhere near as great as its predecessor which I would reccommend that the OP check out if he is a true drivers car man), Quick accelerating, and well equipped. While it's styling polarises opinions, it leaves little to be done with stock 18's, bodykit and wonderfully big racing seats (which can make it a little annoying to reach the seatbelt behind), a great car for a young guy on his p's.

In fact, My sister owns one, and I drive it dang near once or twice a week. It's no Clio Renaultsport 182 Cup like I used to have, and it is no Cooper S JCW ( Gecko). But is a damn fine, fun (although nowehere NEAR as great as its predecessor the EP3), and goodlooking car, with solid honda build, and very good on fuel. Sorry Glavas, but you are wrong wrong WRONG.

To the OP. Good choice buddy, although if you are after a wonderfully amazing drive, I'd look at a good EP3 Civic R. They were not sold here, but were well known as up there with the most amazing hot hatches of the 2002-2005 era. You can find some great ones on carsales too.

I'd say go for it mate, You'll have an amazing amount of fun, spend less on fuel, go faster, and you won't look back to the Falcon. Ever, unless you knock up some tart, need something with 5 seats, and are interested in a falcon over every other 5 seater non turbo sedan on the market

-Dan
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2010, 07:27 PM   #24
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
Don't forget buddy, that the XR6 is NOT in any way some sort of sports rocketship. It is a standard XT Falcon with the XR kit, some 3.45 diff gearing, and a bit more weight.
Different springs and shocks as well, same as you will get in the XR6T.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:59 PM   #25
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Different springs and shocks as well, same as you will get in the XR6T.
Even so, he made a good point, the XR6 will not hold a candle to a Civic Type R in the handling stakes.

The amazing thing about some of these hot hatches is how much fun they can make traveling within the speed limits on a twisting road, simply sensational.

Being one of the few hot hatches that does not have a turbo, the Civic Type R really is a good option for the OP.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:24 AM   #26
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go for it.

Ditch the rep-mobile and get into something fun.

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2010, 07:15 AM   #27
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew`SEVNT5
Go for it.

Ditch the rep-mobile and get into something fun.
Drew how do you find the XRT compared to the 75? I remember your 75 from an Alfa meet I went to with my mate Damian and his old 156 (Grafico), and yous was just amazing. The sound and the speed. Just a wondeful car.

Yours was the grey one right? Jeez it was clean.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2010, 09:24 AM   #28
Snelens
tryhard

The civic's styling will date badly. They are VERY ricer...
Snelens is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2010, 11:31 AM   #29
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin

OZ didn't get the type R in this model, so we get the type S rebadged as a type R.

I'd say go for it if its what you want, you dont need our approval.
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2010, 02:29 PM   #30
GULL
TuRbO

Wow someone who knows what his talking about ,i second dannys comments,civic is a good car,but the clio is way way better,the new 200's are the bees kneees,but a bit exy .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!!!!

Okay grandad, I just crapped myself. You know what, I was so expecting this type of comment, but it did not come for a while (most FF'ers are an educated folk when the subject comes to 4 bangers and hatches nowadays), then you came to the shop with this. Oh wow. Spot on clever one you are.

Don't forget buddy, that the XR6 is NOT in any way some sort of sports rocketship. It is a standard XT Falcon with the XR kit, some 3.45 diff gearing, and a bit more weight. Why does this guy "need" a big six?? Why does he "need, a big rwd sedan? Why does he need a car that drinks a lot of fuel and still goes like a taxi? So he can look and feel like a man, and conform to your Coober Pedy Grandpa ideals??

It may have the best local six ever made (certainly NOT the best 6 available in Oz), but compared to Honda 4 cylinder engineering, I'm sorry, but it does not even come close (Honda know their 4 bangers). Remember a BF is still before the FG, which brought even further refinements to the 4L six. It probably has a 4 speed auto, which makes the car a slug, and yes I have owned three utes with the 4speed and 4.0i BA-BF, and they had ample torque granted, but foot to the floor, they were not a quick accelerating car..... full stop. Period.

Let me continue. An 08' XR6 you are looking at around a $15-25K (MAX) mate (Falcon resale is a JOKE), for a Civic type R (latest gen) you are looking still $28-35K (and I love how you just ASSUME that the Civic would be less than the Falcon. Hardy Ha Ha explain to me why you would assume this?). And there is a BIG few reasons why.

1. The Civic Type R is fairly quick (would pip an Auto BF XR6 in a straight line, and say bye bye as soon as anything resembling a curve came near), reasonable inside, fairly focused (albeit nowhere near as great as its predecessor which I would reccommend that the OP check out if he is a true drivers car man), Quick accelerating, and well equipped. While it's styling polarises opinions, it leaves little to be done with stock 18's, bodykit and wonderfully big racing seats (which can make it a little annoying to reach the seatbelt behind), a great car for a young guy on his p's.

In fact, My sister owns one, and I drive it dang near once or twice a week. It's no Clio Renaultsport 182 Cup like I used to have, and it is no Cooper S JCW ( Gecko). But is a damn fine, fun (although nowehere NEAR as great as its predecessor the EP3), and goodlooking car, with solid honda build, and very good on fuel. Sorry Glavas, but you are wrong wrong WRONG.

To the OP. Good choice buddy, although if you are after a wonderfully amazing drive, I'd look at a good EP3 Civic R. They were not sold here, but were well known as up there with the most amazing hot hatches of the 2002-2005 era. You can find some great ones on carsales too.

I'd say go for it mate, You'll have an amazing amount of fun, spend less on fuel, go faster, and you won't look back to the Falcon. Ever, unless you knock up some tart, need something with 5 seats, and are interested in a falcon over every other 5 seater non turbo sedan on the market

-Dan
GULL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post