Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-12-2010, 08:37 PM   #1
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Default thailand for 2 weeks 3 days, what to do

Off to thailand to be with my gf for just over 2 weeks, she is working there, anyone been there recently, and what to expect, I am bringing 3,000 spending money, which has to cover accomodation and spending expenses

I'd ask her, but she just works there, not holiday there.. lol

is $100 a night in a hotel ok? im getting it half price apparently, other hotels want 200-300 a night?? $$AUD$$

things to do, things to see? things to look out for?

I leave 7th of January

im off work for 4 weeks, sucks when work makes you take 2 weeks off over christmas, come back to work for 2 days and off again for another 2 weeks..

edit: staying near phuket

Last edited by kyro_02; 19-12-2010 at 08:46 PM.
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2010, 08:47 PM   #2
74_XB_Ute
See..Everybody Loves Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
Things to do - Eat local food and drink plenty of suds!
Things to see - Patpong Rd and Midget Thai Boxing!
Things to look out for - Shemales!!!!!
74_XB_Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2010, 08:51 PM   #3
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74_XB_Ute
Things to do - Eat local food and drink plenty of suds!
Things to see - Patpong Rd and Midget Thai Boxing!
Things to look out for - Shemales!!!!!
my gf share house with one
lol

edit: why is shemales so common there? everything i've read up in google, no matter what is being discussed, something is always said about shemales.. actually, they called them 'lady boy's' haha
Old 19-12-2010, 09:09 PM   #4
74_XB_Ute

Quote:
my gf share house with one
lol
hahaha...at least you cant get in trouble for leaving the toilet seat up!! Someone else to blame!!
Old 19-12-2010, 09:16 PM   #5
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74_XB_Ute
hahaha...at least you cant get in trouble for leaving the toilet seat up!! Someone else to blame!!
Umm ??? How do you know this ??? LOL....

Plenty to do there...
I suggest a boat trip around the islands...
Trip up to elephants...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2010, 09:19 PM   #6
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Where are you going exatley? I know you said near Phuket, so your staying on the mainland?

Have a look at Qantas Holidays. I booked a place for 14 and a half nights including breakfast for 2 adults and a child for $1400 on Phuket.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2010, 09:26 PM   #7
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

I believe i will be right near kata
Old 19-12-2010, 09:29 PM   #8
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Off to thailand to be with my gf for just over 2 weeks, she is working there, anyone been there recently, and what to expect, I am bringing 3,000 spending money, which has to cover accomodation and spending expenses

I'd ask her, but she just works there, not holiday there.. lol

is $100 a night in a hotel ok? im getting it half price apparently, other hotels want 200-300 a night?? $$AUD$$

I leave 7th of January

im off work for 4 weeks, sucks when work makes you take 2 weeks off over christmas, come back to work for 2 days and off again for another 2 weeks..

edit: staying near phuket
I haven't been to Phuket, but have spent some time in Bangkok and Chiang Mai.

Don't change money in the airport, do it at a bank after comparing several rates (if you can be bothered).

The lady boys can be VERY convincing! You wonder if the old western blokes they are with know who they are really with! (Perhaps they do, and just don't care lol)

Spending money is totally up to you. I paid 300 Baht for a basic hotel close to Khao-San Road with AC (no AC was 250) and ate the BEST Chicken Pad Thai for 15 Baht off the street.

Back then, 1 AUD was 30 Baht.

Heaps of people will approach you in the street trying to sell you crap / read your fortune / offer you cheap rides places / prostitutes / drugs etc etc etc (well they did in Bangkok on a daily basis).

DO NOT get sucked in. Almost all who go out of their way to approach you will be doing it for their benefit (and your detriment).

Also... your GF should be doing most of this ground work for you seeing as she is already there? Nothing beats local knowledge or experience when you are visiting a new and different place for the first time.

Oh... and get travel insurance!

Have a good time
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2010, 09:30 PM   #9
3vXT

Stay away from odd looking toilets. If there is no toilet paper and just a bowl of water and a hole to sit on, GTFO!

P.S I'm not even joking.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2010, 09:33 PM   #10
74_XB_Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Umm ??? How do you know this ??? LOL....
hahaha.....I can only assume they probably do it the same way as us dudes
Old 19-12-2010, 09:35 PM   #11
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

thank you, yeah i definitely got travel insurance and got my shots lol
i was told people will offer me things, but normally im generous and give, but i think my money would be best in my pocket and not theirs lol

for a place like phuket, 300aud is a little expensive for a hotel??, that was a bare minumum i got quoted when I first looked, they went up as much as 600+aud a night.
Old 19-12-2010, 09:35 PM   #12
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok cool. So Kata Beach is on Phuket, near Karon beach.

You could try wotif

http://www.wotif.com/search/Advanced...=&searchTerms=

I've not stayed in Kata. I've stayed at Karon, but I always stay on Patong.

There are a few small hotels usually in the back streets where you can get some good deals.

Aussie Dollar is now worth around 30 Baht.

As suggested, change your currency at money exchangers. Open daily from around 10 am, you get better rates than you will get at the airport, here or at the hotels.
Old 19-12-2010, 09:36 PM   #13
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903
Stay away from odd looking toilets. If there is no toilet paper and just a bowl of water and a hole to sit on, GTFO!

P.S I'm not even joking.
please explain? lolol
Old 19-12-2010, 09:37 PM   #14
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
thank you, yeah i definitely got travel insurance and got my shots lol
i was told people will offer me things, but normally im generous and give, but i think my money would be best in my pocket and not theirs lol

for a place like phuket, 300aud is a little expensive for a hotel??, that was a bare minumum i got quoted when I first looked, they went up as much as 600+aud a night.
That price I think is based on high season which is around the time your going. 600 a night is still massively over inflated, or your being quote for 5 star.
Old 19-12-2010, 09:38 PM   #15
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when buying stuff don't give in. If not walk away ,they will probably change their mind anyway.

Eat locally but at the same time be weary
GreenR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2010, 09:38 PM   #16
protd
TUFF FORDS

book a early flight home
protd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2010, 09:49 PM   #17
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Take note of the colour of the plastic shoping bags..
They are different colours depending how much you bargain...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2010, 10:21 PM   #18
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
That price I think is based on high season which is around the time your going. 600 a night is still massively over inflated, or your being quote for 5 star.
Spot on. Perhaps you should only book a few days in advance and sus out other options when there. Paying for the remaining 10 days at the same place will usually mean a bit of a discount as well.

Travel very lightly. It will be hot, humid and sticky. May also get rain on and off. Pack heaps of light, loose shirts and shorts and take sandals as you may be required to remove shoes on a regular basis if you decide to visit some of the traditional / religious places.

You may also buy a heap of clothing / other stuff on the cheap. Keep space for that on your return.

Don't buy souvenirs that are made of rough, natural wood with bark or feathers. The vendors will say they are 'customs approved' and 'treated' but you have a strong chance of losing the lot (or paying more than you bought them for to get them fumigated).

Don't carry your personal documents with you! Leave your passport and anything else of value at the hotel safe. I did this without any hesitation even in the $10 hotel I stayed at.

When you change money, ask for small denomination notes and only carry what you need for the day. Grab the hotel business card when you check in as it may be the only way you can work out how to get yourself home in the evening if you get lost.

Learn a bit of the local language. Learning how to say hello, please and thank you will help with the locals if you need their help or shopping etc.

Only drink bottled water! It doesn't have to be fancy stuff either. The locally produced bottled water was like 5-10 Baht for a 950ml bottle and was available everywhere. I lived on that and had no issues.
Old 19-12-2010, 10:41 PM   #19
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$100 per night for a hotel will get you a decent place in Phuket.

Soi Bangla in Patong is the place you want to go for serious nightlife, lady boys (katoeys) and the infamous Tiger Shows are down here, I think there's still a Thai boxing ring there too. Brightly coloured lizards/snakes can be draped around your neck at a cost for those Kodak moments.

Take a day trip to 'James Bond Island',
A jungle trekking trip on an elephant,
Simons Cabaret (lady boy show) - book a few days in advance for this as it's very popular.
Take a day trip to one of the small islands off the east coast of Phuket - absolutely stunning.
Havn't done it yet, but wouldn't mind doing the cave Kayaking tour.
Obviously the beaches, Jetskiing, parasailing etc.
Plenty of markets to shop at, clothes, ripoff DVD's/Games etc, fake watches and I think fake designer bags. CHEAP tailors if you want a nice suit, or even tailor made shirts.
Bargain with Tuk Tuks and Taxis, try to get an idea from the hotel how much a journey should cost, I suspect you will be making trips to Patong reasonably often, that's where most of the restaurants, shows and nightlife is.

do money changing at the money changers, don't worry about the banks etc. Just look at the boards along the street for the best rate. Just make sure you re-count the money in front of the money changer before you walk away. I always take cash wherever I go too, put it in the hotel safe and change small amounts at a time. Travellers cheques cost and can get a worse exchange rate.

I'd be inclined to stick the approx. hotel cost into a credit card too, then pay the hotel by CC at the end of your stay, this way your not taking big $$'s.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2010, 11:45 PM   #20
fmc351
let it burn

Phuket, stay home.

someone had to say it.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2010, 12:13 AM   #21
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

FantaSea is also good for a night out.
There is a show on each night with acrobats, trained elephants and things, it's set in a massive auditorium inside a theme park.

Highly recommend the speed boat tours around the islands.
Just make sure to take some Panadol with you (I was quite ill from the outboard petrol fumes), the tour guide we had also kept a supply of pills for anyone who got sea sick.

The elephant safari was great. Got to see the younger elephants being trained, and then ride around a trail on older elephants. They're such awesome creatures!

You can also check out the Big Buddha, which is up near the elephant safari place. It is indeed a BIG Buddha. But you will need to cover up if you wish to walk through the temple there. No singlets on men, and ladies have to be covered from shoulders to knees. They do loan sarongs for this, at a price.

The Pizza Company on Bangla Rd was a good place to eat. Much like the old Pizza Hut restaurants here.
Had KFC across the road, and it was the only thing that made us sick.

There are a couple of shopping centres in Patong, but anything you find in there can be had at the markets much cheaper usually.

If you go to the markets in the mornings and they won't come down to the price you want, walk away.
Often they will come after you and agree to your price, because they believe it's bad luck to turn away the first customer of the day.

Oh, and never shake hands with the guys on the roadside selling suits. They don't let go easily!

We booked our tours through the hotel, and as a bonus got a private 1/2 day tour around Kata, Karon and into the Town markets for about 75bht each. Then caught a Tuk Tuk back to the hotel.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford

Last edited by Feathers; 20-12-2010 at 12:27 AM.
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2010, 01:21 AM   #22
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Forgot to mention, if you need a driving fix, there's a go-karting circuit on the other side of the hill behind Patong.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2010, 01:23 AM   #23
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Take note of the colour of the plastic shoping bags..
They are different colours depending how much you bargain...
Black bags then you are a good bargainer but other sellers may try to avoid you.

White generally means nothing

Other colours like yellow, green, red show that you spend money. Possibility sellers will try take advantage of you.
GreenR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2010, 07:40 AM   #24
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I never knew about the color of the plastic bags. I'll have to remember that for next time.
Old 20-12-2010, 07:43 AM   #25
badefghia
Banned

dont drink the water even when u get a drink make shore there is no ice in it make shore u brush your teeth with bottel water ...when u get drinks etc make shore they are from a bottel and when u eat make shore its stuff u know or u will get sick easy as......
badefghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2010, 07:47 AM   #26
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.kata-guesthouses.com/

A couple of properties here.
Old 20-12-2010, 07:52 AM   #27
protd
TUFF FORDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
Phuket, stay home.

someone had to say it.

i'd sooner holiday in australia, we went over a few years ago and spent extra money getting another plane home early, one of the biggest shiiitholes i have ever been too
protd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2010, 04:07 PM   #28
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

cheers guys
well since i booked my flights 2 months ago
i haven't been looking forward to it, i mean, its a holiday.. i SHOULD be looking forward to it

but im like, meh. i'll get there when I get there

Hopefully I will find things to do that will keep me busy hehe

wish work didn't stuff me around, because as far as i knew i was working through the holidays, so I book my flights for jan, than they turn around and tell me to take 2 weeks off in december, eating away my annual, im a saver not a spender.. lol

Hoping I don't get sick, that would be salt in the wound, sure as hell wouldn't look forward to that either lol

This is how exciting I have been looking soo so forward to going
I haven't packed ANYTHING
no clothes
no deodorant
no anything
I need to buy some clothes before the trip, but haven't
I left it up until yesterday to get my vaccine, which is still sitting in my fridge

feels like a chore, i don't know what I feel right now haha

Last edited by kyro_02; 20-12-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Old 20-12-2010, 05:28 PM   #29
brismike
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Watch out for the Taxi Drivers . . Make sure they turn on the meter or agree a fixed price before you get in the taxi. When you are in the taxi they will try to onsell a boat trip or something or offer to take you to "Good Market with good price". They get a cut from the boat trips and sellers at the markets. Just insist that you are taken to where you want to go with no diversions.

Also a great place to visit is the Grand Palace. But when you get there ignore all the people who jump on you as you get out of your taxi offering to guide you through the place, for a price of course. You pay to go in at the official ticket office and it is very cheap . . I think about 10 baht. Once inside you can just wander around wherever you want and there is lots to see. You don't need a guide . .you just use your eyes.

Have fun it is an interesting place.

Wife's - 2018 Peugeot 3008 Gtline, Pearl White - 6 Speed Auto - Fully Optioned.

My Toy - 2014 Smart Fortwo Passion Crystal White, Black Tridion Cell - 5 Speed Auto with Flappy Paddles - Tint - Twin Exhaust

The only good Commodore is the one now very very quickly disappearing in my rear view mirror.
brismike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2010, 05:44 PM   #30
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
cheers guys
well since i booked my flights 2 months ago
i haven't been looking forward to it, i mean, its a holiday.. i SHOULD be looking forward to it

but im like, meh. i'll get there when I get there

Hopefully I will find things to do that will keep me busy hehe

wish work didn't stuff me around, because as far as i knew i was working through the holidays, so I book my flights for jan, than they turn around and tell me to take 2 weeks off in december, eating away my annual, im a saver not a spender.. lol

Hoping I don't get sick, that would be salt in the wound, sure as hell wouldn't look forward to that either lol

This is how exciting I have been looking soo so forward to going
I haven't packed ANYTHING
no clothes
no deodorant
no anything
I need to buy some clothes before the trip, but haven't
I left it up until yesterday to get my vaccine, which is still sitting in my fridge

feels like a chore, i don't know what I feel right now haha
Go to the doc and ask for a general antibiotic. If you feel yourself getting something start taking the course.

Take a few strips of Panadol and some Antihistamines if your body doesn't react well to sudden weather changes / differences in pollution etc.

Do you need anti-Malaria tablets? If you do, ask for Doxy (Doxycycline) it is cheap and has few side effects.

There are others available, but they play with your mind (seen this first hand) and cost more.

I'm not a doctor however, this is just what I always do when going overseas (and has served me very well thus far).

Don't bother packing till the days before. Buy your new clothes when you arrive. If you take more than 12kg checked in, you are taking way too much!

You a drinker?? Just find a crowded bar and enjoy some Singha or Tiger beer. You won't be lonely for long ;)

Cheers