Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-03-2011, 09:38 AM   #1
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Default My Omega Experience

Had to take a trip to Melbourne during the week and cause the business that wanted me to come down screwed up my departure point, I asked them for a hire car so I didn't have to get my wife and son up at 3am. Ended up getting a VE Omega with about 31,000km on it.

First impression was that "dammit, you had three FG XR6's available and you gave me the bloody Holden".

Anyway, I get in the car and make my adjustments (mirrors and seating) and take off. Goes pretty alright apart from the two second delay between putting your foot on the accelerator and it actually going (also apply this to kickdown acceleration, but add a second to that again).

Handled well but a little floaty over uneven roads and bumps.

Once you get going (was auto so tried out Sports and Manual mode) it does get up quickly and before you know it you're doing over 120km/h so thinking the hire place will forward on any fines I backed off.

Definitely can't complain about fuel economy. Used 16 litres to do 200km. 8l/100km, which was also relayed on the average fuel consumption. The needle was at the 1/8th point prior to filling so you could theoretically do 850km+ on highway cycle no worries.

Pros - Fuel economy, rolling power, comfortable.
Cons - Initial acceleration, side mirrors, handbrake.

Rating out of 5 - A solid 3.5.

Would I buy one - Definite consideration

Old 27-03-2011, 10:03 AM   #2
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 
Default Re: My Omega Experience

For a company hack they arent bad... Was it an SIDI model or the old V6?
I had an SIDI SV6 wagon in Sydney last time I went which has left me considering an SV6 over the XR6 now, better seats, more appointments standard and a little better build quality from what ive seen...
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2011, 11:17 AM   #3
lownloud
Ford Junkie

I owned one for a while and pretty much agree with your findings. It drove and went really well. A bit floaty and also had some nice features the equivalent Ford hasn't got.
I did however find the build quality was ordinary as far as trim and carpet coming adrift really easily and some external fittings were really cheap and plasticy feeling. Also paint finish was orange peel all over!
We currently have Aurions as work cars and general consesus is they are pretty damn good. Only downside is 200kw with front drive, which makes overtaking maneuvers entertaining sometimes when you put the boot in and it torque steers towards the car you are overtaking!
Old 27-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #4
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sometimes out here they get in a hire car or two when we run out of work Prados, and I hopped into an Omega with the small 3 liter SIDI motor, and was expecting a crap drive back from where we'd passed on the train to the next crew.

Boy oh boy...have times changed. "Base model" used to mean "boring as batshit and slow as a wet week", but no more. As a Holden salesman said to us when we were tossing up between a new Falcon and new Commodore, "We try not to tell people how small the SIDI motor is before they take it for a test drive...they're usually really surprised when they come back and we tell them it's only a 3 liter in a car that big", and he was right. The economy was amazing as well.

It was only a much better trade-in deal from the Ford dealer that meant we came home with a G6E instead of an SV6...to be honest we'd have been perfectly happy with either one.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2011, 12:01 PM   #5
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Omegas are decent cars. They are the most Falcon-like Commodore I've ever driven.

Finally holden have fixed a lot of the gripes I've had about Commodores over the years - exhaust is now on the right side, seats are no longer over bolstered, torque in the low rev range is decent enough.

They are a decent car and deserves anyone's decent consideration if you're looking at a modern e-segment car.
Old 27-03-2011, 12:09 PM   #6
stevz
Banned

I drive everything form Omegas to Statesmans at work and I would say they are great cars and fantastic value for money. You read a lot of childish and mindless criticism about them but after you've actually driven one you learn to quickly take it all with a grain of salt.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2011, 12:29 PM   #7
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
For a company hack they arent bad... Was it an SIDI model or the old V6?
I had an SIDI SV6 wagon in Sydney last time I went which has left me considering an SV6 over the XR6 now, better seats, more appointments standard and a little better build quality from what ive seen...
Was the SIDI model.

I did drive a VE Berlina when the VE was first released and wasn't overly impressed but it seems Holden got its stuff together and the current crop of VE Commodores aren't a bad drive at all.
Old 27-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #8
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I drove an omega 500 metres. Not long review but I reckon it was about a 2/5. I didn't like it much at all.

Drove an SV6 100kms. That was a 3.3/5

Drove a fg Xr6 and that was way better then the SV6 by miles.

All of the above cars had less then 20,000kms on them
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2011, 01:16 PM   #9
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Was the SIDI model."

That revolutionary " Spark Ignition " engine , funny I never realised all Commodes up until this model were diesels .

I worked for an ALL Ford fleet company when the original VE was released and Holden targetted us with a free drive car for a week . Being the only guy who was really passionate and actually knew anything about cars I was chosen to drive the thing . All I can say is unless thay have radically changed the thing it is not even within a bulls roar of an FG , hell it wasn't even within cooee of my old BF . I could not believe then and even to this day that the Omega ( aimed squarely at fleets / reps ) did not have a split fold rear seat , a billion dollars spent and noone at Holden thought of this or obviously bothered to ask any reps who need to carry stuff bigger than will fit in the boot . Beggars belief really .

Last edited by wrongwaynorris; 27-03-2011 at 01:26 PM.
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2011, 03:03 PM   #10
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris
I could not believe then and even to this day that the Omega ( aimed squarely at fleets / reps ) did not have a split fold rear seat , a billion dollars spent and noone at Holden thought of this or obviously bothered to ask any reps who need to carry stuff bigger than will fit in the boot . Beggars belief really .
IIRC the reason there is no split fold rear seat is because it was seen to compromise structural rigidity. Besides, why would you want to have objects sticking out into the cabin which would potentially become lethal missiles in an accident.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #11
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
IIRC the reason there is no split fold rear seat is because it was seen to compromise structural rigidity. Besides, why would you want to have objects sticking out into the cabin which would potentially become lethal missiles in an accident.
How would you compromise structural integrity on a sedan, when a much larger and continuous void (no support) is evident in the sportswagon (and you are able to fold down these seats). The omega sedan rear seat comprises of $40 in foam, $8 of plastic, $20 of frames and $50 in trim. To add split fold rear seats (that complied with standards) to a commodore sedan would have nearly tripled the rear seat costs. These cars werent built up to a standard, that were built down to a price.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2011, 10:41 PM   #12
Falcman0o7
Banned

It could cost 99% less than a falcon and i still wouldn't buy one :P
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2011, 11:01 PM   #13
Mr Hardware

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Wow, they STILL don't have split/fold rear seats????
And i thought my list was down to 'fuel filler on the wrong side' and 'why do they insist on using strut front ends' and 'why aren't the electric window switches on the doors'
Old 27-03-2011, 11:28 PM   #14
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Wow, they STILL don't have split/fold rear seats????
And i thought my list was down to 'fuel filler on the wrong side' and 'why do they insist on using strut front ends' and 'why aren't the electric window switches on the doors'
Don't forget the boot release in the glove box.
Old 27-03-2011, 11:36 PM   #15
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
Goddamn it do they still do this?? How stupid.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2011, 11:44 PM   #16
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Boot release in the glovebox? Ahaha as rediculous if not more than the handbrake.

But yep, its no wonder people dont mind going over to Holden for a wagon nowadays, GMH picked up their game a lil. (still cargo capacity is a letdown imo)
Cant say much good in the way of trim...even the door clunk sounded cheap. (and that was on a calais)

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 01:29 AM   #17
1TUFFUTE
Banned

people must have low expectations ...we had an omega and it was not much to talk about...the throttle ,gearbox,trim falling off and suspension all felt very second grade. Thats not mentioning the non split seaats which is so annoying these days. MEH..The FG is miles ahead realy
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 09:46 AM   #18
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I still for the life of me can't understand the angst about the handbrake. I much prefer the VE to the FG's handbrake. It integrates into the centre console when it's disengaged so it's completely out of the way.. whereas the FG is a big oval blat wrapped in a 90 year olds man purse - it looks distractingly ugly.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 10:09 AM   #19
Mr Hardware

Quote:

Why do they persist on letting yesteryear's technical limitations influence their clean-sheet designs?
Old 28-03-2011, 10:49 AM   #20
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
people must have low expectations ...we had an omega and it was not much to talk about...the throttle ,gearbox,trim falling off and suspension all felt very second grade. Thats not mentioning the non split seaats which is so annoying these days. MEH..The FG is miles ahead realy
When I get my hands on an FG I will make the same non biased comparison.

I used to be a Ford man ONLY, now to me the car with more features and that suits me better will get my hard earned.

Like my wife says to me, a car is a tool to get from point A to point B, nothing more. I agree now seeing how much cash I've wasted to try and get a non sports car to go fast.
Old 28-03-2011, 10:55 AM   #21
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware

Why do they persist on letting yesteryear's technical limitations influence their clean-sheet designs?
I'm not quite sure why they do it. I have a VR work hack that has a little lever on the floor for the boot, but my family's VS had the release in the glove box. I think it's a GM thing because a lot of old Chevys had the same thing. Maybe they think it's something that buyers expect from Commodore and thus continue?
Old 28-03-2011, 11:41 AM   #22
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I imagine it's in the glovebox after all these years because that's where people "expect" it to be. We had a 1984 VK Calais for many years, then went to a Ford Fairmont XC-Update GXL. After six years of owning that, we went to a 2002 VX Lumina. I was looking for the boot release when we brought it home, and wondered if it was in the glovebox...sure enough, just like the VK, there it was where I expected it to be.
A bit of common placement of unimportant stuff like boot openers between makes couldn't hurt could it? Hell, at work we have Toyota Prado's, and sometimes rent Pajeros, Falcons, and Commodores...and the odd Mitsubishi 380 that's still hanging around (great car by the way and very underrated). All of them have things like fuel filler releases and boot releases in different places. Why?
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 11:41 AM   #23
ray38l

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris

I worked for an ALL Ford fleet company when the original VE was released and Holden targetted us with a free drive car for a week . Being the only guy who was really passionate and actually knew anything about cars I was chosen to drive the thing . All I can say is unless thay have radically changed the thing it is not even within a bulls roar of an FG , hell it wasn't even within cooee of my old BF . I could not believe then and even to this day that the Omega ( aimed squarely at fleets / reps ) did not have a split fold rear seat , a billion dollars spent and noone at Holden thought of this or obviously bothered to ask any reps who need to carry stuff bigger than will fit in the boot . Beggars belief really .
if i was running a business the last person i would have test a potential fleet car is a car enthusiast.
One things for sure you will never get an unbiased view from a car enthusiast.
ray38l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 12:05 PM   #24
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray38l
if i was running a business the last person i would have test a potential fleet car is a car enthusiast.
100% correct.

Like it or hate it, I got to drive a car that I thought was worth a small review and being the opposition naturally here I knew I would get the nitpickers.

Maybe I should purposefully get hold of an FG and nitpick that to bits and see how many people I get crying about it.
Old 28-03-2011, 12:10 PM   #25
Mr Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray38l
Lately I've actually tried working out who does give an unbiased view of cars
It may not be car enthusiasts, but it sure ain't people with little interest in cars because they put all sorts of emphasis on things like 'ooh i like the red one' and 'i don't like that one's mirrors' and 'the bum of that one looks kinda funny' or 'well a camry, of course!'
Old 28-03-2011, 12:29 PM   #26
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
I guess it's better than no boot release?
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 12:44 PM   #27
Fair302
Life is a Ride!

We have them at work, VE sportswagon. They are buckets of **** They have no power, feel high strung, have lots of quality issues. They made my BFII wagon feel like the newer generation car, and that is with live axle and leafs. Plus you can't put anything in the bloody things and they really show their lack of power if you have anything in them. Same as every c'dore before, it just happens to be the best one so far. You couldn't make me buy one. To me they are just larger Deawoo's

: 2011 Honda CB400 - Pearl White; Megacycle slip-on, Some Carbon Fibre & More... 2010 Yamaha Virago 250 - Burgandy
Fair302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 12:48 PM   #28
BlueBear
Shockwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe

Pros - Fuel economy, rolling power, comfortable.
Cons - Initial acceleration, side mirrors, handbrake.

Rating out of 5 - A solid 3.5.
I have had 2 Omegas for my use as company cars, 1st was the second one sold in Rockhampton, so a few years ago, second was June 09, both were brand new.
In between I had a year old BF MKII, (Changed jobs 3 times...)
My criteria for a car in central QLD may well be different from what you want in the city, (was doing a lot of trips to the mines and back) however I can say in all honesty, that I was much happier in the Ford..... Reasons?
The BF would cruise lazily all day at 110 without ever having to go back a gear. The cruise control is vastly superior, reacts very quickly to road conditions without huge throttle changes, the VE both didn't have the torque, and reaction times through the system were very poor, Mitsubishi and Toyota's are both better in reaction times as well.
The BF also was much better at soaking up the roads we get up there, absolutely no skipping around at all, for instance going up the Duaringa range I could just leave the cruise on (if there was no traffic of course) and just steer the corners with ease, to do this in the VE you had to have your wits about you as taking some of the corners meant navigating some bumps and potholes with would throw the car around. The VE would also be changing gears and accelerating quite wildly at times trying to maintain its speed.
(Interesting too is that both VE's required front suspension work within the first year of ownership, less than 25,000k's.
The major stumbling point to me ever owning a VE though is the A pillars, I cant believe such a design floor could have made it through to production. I know it's been discussed before, but to me they are just plain dangerous, whole cars disappear behind those pillars, especially at roundabouts.

So, I can agree with your assessment, but with some proviso's

Pros - Fuel economy, rolling power (BF was better at highway speeds), comfortable.
Cons - Initial acceleration, side mirrors, handbrake. I will add, A pillar, cruise control.

So, whilst the smaller motor in the VE does give good economy and Holden have done a good job at packaging it, The big straight 6 of the BF has so much torque and the computer is so good, that I would always choose the Ford to go for a long drive in.
BlueBear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 01:07 PM   #29
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

I agree with all you said mate.

I really like our VE sportswagon, I can get a nice and low seating position, feels like i am IN the car, not ON it like my FG, it has loads of room for the kid, dog and heaps of luggage etc.
I find the interior to be a bit drab though, the seats are a bit rough, most of the gadgets and function controls are in strange and hard to reach spots, but after some time behind the wheel you become used to the locations, so I guess it isn't all that bad.
The steering is quite twitchy at higher speeds, and it feels like your holding a huge steering wheel out of a bus at first.
The hand brake has taken skin off my knuckles plenty of times from getting my hand caught between the plastic and the lever (its quite sharp), but with taking more care releasing it, I have managed to keep most of the skin on my knuckles intact lately.
Oh and the lack of performance: I know it is just a poxy V6 but, I am NOT confident with overtaking in the VE, it just doesnt seem to go anywhere until its hitting 6000rpm. I am too used to the overtaking rush from my old F6 I guess?

On the other hand, my FG over all is a great car, it has PLENTY of go compared to the VE, it's got much more response through the whole rev range, the seats are much more comfortable but I can't get it low enough, the ICC is MUCH better and well arranged in my opinion.
That being said, if I were to buy another car right now, I would be putting my money down on a new SS sportswagon over a G6ET, they are a great Aussie car, and are much more practical than a sedan, and I find the terrys to be a bit too big and uncomfortable. (Although my brothers tuned awd Ghia Turbo is a LOT of fun to drive.)
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 01:21 PM   #30
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBear
Cons - A pillar
Funny you do say that. The Berlina I drove I found this a real nuisance but in the Omega I thought the vision was good. I think this has alot to do with how I was seated in each though but yes I do agree here to a point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr_rob
The steering is quite twitchy at higher speeds, and it feels like your holding a huge steering wheel out of a bus at first.
Hence the "floaty" sensation I describe. I also agree with overtaking cause on the trip back to the Gold Coast I had someone in the far left doing 75km/h in a 110km/h zone and needed to punch back and in the time it took to get revs up and go around the slow car I could've been wiped out by a truck.