Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-05-2011, 04:42 PM   #1
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 
Default Curious question about shopping centre carparks

After watching a merc reverse into a carpark today only to clip the rear end of a falcon stationwagon on her way in...I came to ponder the question regarding the legalities of actually reversing into a 90 degree car park.

The merc had reversed out of another carpark, and decided to reverse park into another directly behind the stationwagon (not sure what was going through her head, she was reversing the wrong way up a one way road)...the station wagon driver only stopped reversing because I yelled at him, but failed to understand the other half's hand motions of 'pull back in' and the merc subsequently hit hit rear bumper.

Now as I understand it, the reversing vehicle should be looking where they're going...in this case neither was, but it did make me question whether reversing into a car park in a shopping centre, is actually frowned upon because people have an inherent ability to focus behind them, as opposed to what's in front of them when they are reversing into said car park...

I watched her try to explain to the docile man what she was trying to do, but as she was reversing, she failed to take into consideration the front end of her car...my assumption is she would be in the wrong, as he was stationary when she hit him...but I'm wondering if maybe that's not right...?

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Curious question about shopping centre carparks

I would say this would be a 50/50 case as both party's had been reversing at some stage together.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2011, 05:20 PM   #3
RJO89
EuroFordClub

I had to go to court for a matter exactly the same as this a few years back. The person who is reversing is at fault if the other vehicle is stationary.

Far from stock... --- SOLD :

Now riding a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R :
RJO89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2011, 05:32 PM   #4
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

if everyone could reverse and then reversed into every car park, there would be less car park dints. when you have just arrived at a car park, you are warm, because you obviously have been driving. you are in the zone as much as you ever could be. when leaving, you have cooled back down. your mind is on the shops and other things, certainly not driving at that point in time and it is then that people try the most difficult part of driving

it doesn't make much sense to me. i understand some people do not like to reverse, but it is obviously much better doing it when still in the driving fame of mind, than in the shopping frame of mind
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2011, 06:02 PM   #5
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
if everyone could reverse and then reversed into every car park, there would be less car park dints. when you have just arrived at a car park, you are warm, because you obviously have been driving. you are in the zone as much as you ever could be. when leaving, you have cooled back down. your mind is on the shops and other things, certainly not driving at that point in time and it is then that people try the most difficult part of driving

it doesn't make much sense to me. i understand some people do not like to reverse, but it is obviously much better doing it when still in the driving fame of mind, than in the shopping frame of mind
Even where I can drive through to an empty spot on the other side, I don't do it if I'm doing grocery shopping and will bring a trolley out later as I need access to the boot. Parking nose out, chances are there will be a car close to my boot by the time I return. But if I'm not going to use a trolley I'd drive through to be able to drive out forwards later.

Also, I think you would have to admit that reversing in means that when you get close to the other car in the opposite bay it becomes a bit of guesswork and you can end up with your nose hanging out too far, or worse, bumping the other car. If the other person did as you suggest, chances are a number will reverse too far, leaving you with a shorter space or bumping your car. Driving nose in you can generally get closer to the obstacle.

Another issue in reversing is you drive past the spot, probably with your indicator on and someone either comes up close behind before they realise what you are trying to do, blocking you from reversing and you are stuck, or they pinch your spot while you are selecting reverse.

There are places where reversing in can work - but shopping centre car parks with other traffic eagerly hunting for parking spots usually aren't one of those.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2011, 07:05 PM   #6
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

Go to a mine site car park, its reverse parking - back wheels to a small ditch, a cement stop or something similar. Maybe this should be the adopted norm.

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Supercharged BA 6 Ute - Wife's daily

351W F150 93 XLT 4x4 Supercab
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2011, 08:52 PM   #7
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
Even where I can . . . . usually aren't one of those.
you have made some good points. to me reversing is still the better option, but obviously for others it is not
you effectively get a smaller turning circle when reversing
for sure there is a little guesswork involved if a car is behind, but a quick check to see where they are positioned in relation to the line, plus using cars next to me for the reflection gives a good idea

obviously everyone has their own favourite and your points show why some people like to drive in
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2011, 04:44 AM   #8
Bluefreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJO89
I had to go to court for a matter exactly the same as this a few years back. The person who is reversing is at fault if the other vehicle is stationary.
Not in all cases - I backed into a woman as my attention was compromised by a toddler wandering around the carpark, visible in my r/h wing mirror - now this woman was offset to my left, behind me and stationary, she copped 100% liability as she made no effort to avoid the collision...
Bluefreak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2011, 08:52 AM   #9
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OMG, I can't believe what I'm reading in this thread!
If you're not capable of reverse parking effectively and efficiently at low speed than why should you have a licence? Seriously, stop making up excuses for bad driving practices it's becoming pathetice listening to people justify thier innabilty to drive a vehicle in the road.

Bluefreak, if I was judging your case, I would have asked why you did not remain stationary as you knew there was a child around your vehicle and were aware of the risk of continuing on your path yet you still decided to reverse and damage another vehicle behind you. I don't understand how someone stanionary behind you is supposed to avoid some one not paying attention to the road or other vehicles around them?
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2011, 10:52 AM   #10
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
After watching a merc reverse into a carpark today only to clip the rear end of a falcon stationwagon on her way in...I came to ponder the question regarding the legalities of actually reversing into a 90 degree car park.
The one with the Female driver is always at fault....
Old 01-06-2011, 07:20 PM   #11
BA Baracus
xls

Shopping center near me has a big new multi level carpark and has signs on entry to each level stating 'nose in parking only'. I've been wondering what the reasoning could be since I first parked there. Doesn't appear to be an obvious one, the parks are normal and the same as pretty much all other carparks.
BA Baracus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2011, 08:24 PM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I just drive though to a car park, or just drive into one because I honestly can't reverse park for crap. I spend my time driving forwards, not backwards
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2011, 09:43 PM   #13
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Hm, i always seem to reverse park. I now drive a dual cab ute with a canopy and now my rear vision is comprimised and also now have a decent sized blindspot on each side.

Still reverse parking....

Subaru Outback '02

Last edited by TheInterceptor; 01-06-2011 at 09:49 PM.
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #14
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
regarding the legalities of actually reversing into a 90 degree car park.
if drive in forwards then you have to reverse out of the car park anyway.

in Bombala, the main street is 45° REAR END parking. meaning you have to back in (and turn 45), then drive out forwards. In Cooma, you park 45 front in, but then you back out into traffic (and there's always a big 4wd parked next to you blocking your view). which is better?
Old 03-06-2011, 06:34 AM   #15
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

The merc had reversed out of another carpark, and decided to reverse park into another directly behind the stationwagon (not sure what was going through her head, she was reversing the wrong way up a one way road)...the station wagon driver only stopped reversing because I yelled at him, but failed to understand the other half's hand motions of 'pull back in' and the merc subsequently hit hit rear bumper.

Now as I understand it, the reversing vehicle should be looking where they're going...in this case neither was, but it did make me question whether reversing into a car park in a shopping centre, is actually frowned upon because people have an inherent ability to focus behind them, as opposed to what's in front of them when they are reversing into said car park...

I watched her try to explain to the docile man what she was trying to do, but as she was reversing, she failed to take into consideration the front end of her car...my assumption is she would be in the wrong, as he was stationary when she hit him...but I'm wondering if maybe that's not right...?
I always thought the person reversing needs to be more careful and is often found at fault. But both were reversing and the gentleman stopped, but the woman with the Merc was actually reversing up the wrong way on a one-way road? Yup hands down it would be her fault. (to me) Now if she wasn't reversing the wrong way on a one-way it would be a toss-up. But who drives like that? sheesh.
NickyN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2011, 08:55 AM   #16
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

If in a car park where i know I am going to need to get stuff in the back of the Territory (groceries/stroller/etc) .... I nose in ... cos I am not going to try and get a trolley up the side of the car to the back to unload ... and usually the numpty next to me has parked too close anyway.

If I am on my own in either of my vehicles though and know I am not needing to load anything in the back ... I reverse in usually ... it depends on where I have parked within the complex though.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2011, 09:03 AM   #17
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Where is Sudzy?

I am sure hilarity will ensue after he adds his two cents worth
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2011, 09:07 AM   #18
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
Where is Sudzy?

Don't care ... he's on my ignore list ... so i see nothing.
I had a headlight globe blow on the way to work the other day ... guess I should have stopped and locked my car up and walked the rest of the way to work as my car was unroadworthy at the time .... but that's for another thread
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2011, 09:44 AM   #19
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMax
If you're not capable of reverse parking effectively and efficiently at low speed than why should you have a licence? Seriously, stop making up excuses for bad driving practices it's becoming pathetice listening to people justify thier innabilty to drive a vehicle in the road.
^^Agreed^^

A bloke reversed parked at the train station this morning.
He pulled into the spot opposite, took of seat belt, opened door, lent out, then proceeded to reverse. So he could see his rear tyre only. I thought of pointing out to hime there are are glass reflective things hanging of each side that also show the same thing, but safely!

I reverse park where I can, easier and safer to get out. The only time I don't is when it is angle parking, not only is it a wast of time, you need to drive on the wrong side of the road!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2011, 10:56 AM   #20
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

If it's a shopping centre I'm with Mechan1k, driving in makes it easier to load the boot.

The reverse parking that some towns have in the main St is a great way to totally wreck traffic flow. Plus the fact that most cant see the lines and the 45deg angle parking is usually anywhere between 10 and 90 deg!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
Where is Sudzy?
Probably trying to work out which side to take in the thread of the year.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:20 PM   #21
redxr8

Angry Re: Curious question about shopping centre carparks

i was parking in a woolies parking lot and had to back up so as to make the xr turn enough bit like 3 point turn. a car on left row nosed in to wall backed out meaning we backed in to each other i thought it would be ok as i was in the maim steam of traffic and other bloke backed out . i got detailes ran aami thinking no prob told them what happened got told no claim as both cars were in reverse so had to pay up my self . so just stay away from parking lots is the answer :
redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2011, 05:50 AM   #22
Bluefreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMax

Bluefreak, if I was judging your case, I would have asked why you did not remain stationary as you knew there was a child around your vehicle and were aware of the risk of continuing on your path yet you still decided to reverse and damage another vehicle behind you. I don't understand how someone stanionary behind you is supposed to avoid some one not paying attention to the road or other vehicles around them?
Jesus you're an angry little man...

Funnily enough, I prepared a statement outlining in great detail what had gone on beyond the very brief comment I made here to say it's never black & white... Neither insurance company wanted it...!!!

Their determination was: she was behind me, no-one was behind her, she made no effort to reverse away from the impending ARB rear step/tow bar, she got towed, I drove home, she paid the bill...
Bluefreak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 04:25 AM   #23
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
if drive in forwards then you have to reverse out of the car park anyway.

in Bombala, the main street is 45° REAR END parking. meaning you have to back in (and turn 45), then drive out forwards. In Cooma, you park 45 front in, but then you back out into traffic (and there's always a big 4wd parked next to you blocking your view). which is better?
Yeah the reverse in one is a million times better. They have that in mudgee. You hold up traffic when reversing in but it makes it much easier to pull out front ways.

In mudgee there seams to be a general rule of thumb that you don't have to
park between the lines if you don't want. I just fit in with the locals while I'm there. Makes it much easier when you ignore the lines and aim for an angle between 30 and 60 degrees.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post