Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-06-2011, 11:07 PM   #1
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Default Samsung Galaxy S2

Anybody else picked one up? Got mine this morning, bloody love it so far!

XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2011, 11:11 PM   #2
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

Default Re: Samsung Galaxy S2

pre order on optus eh ? nice work... still waiting for telstra.. was pretty disappointed to hear they are a month behind. heard the optus rom is full of bloatware.

still running my htc desire on rooted gingerbread . i couldnt wait another month for telstra, went on their BYO plan and will upgrade when the SGS2 releases (so long as its not much more expensive than optus deals).

Great looking phone though, although reports are the backing is a bit flimsy-plastic, much like my old omnia. The htx Desire is metal and hard plastic, feels sturdy.

will be interested to hear battery life after a week.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:18 PM   #3
fasty73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have the first one but can't unlock it from optus.
fasty73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2011, 12:10 AM   #4
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIIPURSUIT

will be interested to hear battery life after a week.
More to the point, if it's anything like the rubbish Galaxy S I have here, then battery life wont even make it (on a full charge) to the end of the first day!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2011, 01:54 AM   #5
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

I tell ya what I would accept a couple extra mil on the back of my HTC for a bigger battery , these new fandangled phones are ridiculous . At work all the stereos in our machines have usb I just leave it plugged in.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:54 AM   #6
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Edit double post
Old 02-06-2011, 08:49 PM   #7
XAGSV8
Member 178

Ordered mine from Optus 2 days ago. Only reason was it is cheaper to make calls from it now then on the land line.

1963 Morris Mini

1999 NU Fairlane Ghia
XAGSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2011, 10:18 PM   #8
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

Had mine a couple of days coming off an IP3G. Definitely has more features. More importantly, it has 900mhz which is important in the bush. I am no longer tethered to itunes and can tart around dropping any media, in any format onto the device.

Bluetooth is FAR BETTER than the IP3G, screen is bigger, its duals core and its a cheaper 24month plan ( by almost 50%) than the IP3G.
Battery is far better, cant stuff around all day and still have charge.

So far very happy.

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2011, 10:25 PM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

My wife has the Galaxy S ... and it has been a great handset.
One of the guys in my team picked up his new Galaxy S2 from the Optus store within the Optus complex here in Macquarie Park.

Runs rings around mt iPhone 3GS .... which for me has been a great phone as it is ... I still have a year left though on my contract ... if i was closer to the end of the contract though I'd be tempted to swap.

But looking at it compared to the outgoing Galaxy S ... version 2 is not that much different in looks ... and the way the screens are. It's just a much quicker beast and multi tasks much better. The bundled Task Manager is a good tool to use on it as well.

Going on benchtests ... this even out strips the new dual-core HTC Sensation ... and better looking IMHO too.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2011, 10:28 PM   #10
JG65TE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

damn, u blokes know phones, I been lookin at gettin one but, I would no idea how to use it proper like, i would probably drop it in the fishtank or run over it.
JG65TE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2011, 10:34 PM   #11
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

actually ... i do advise getting the thin hard rubber armour case around it.
The case is a little on the slippery side. My wife has one on hers and it makes gripping it much easier and comfortable as well ... as the thing is so thin.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2011, 12:00 PM   #12
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

There was a bit of bloatware, but I run Launcherpro and I don’t even notice the Optus apps/programs on there. I actually didn't even pre-order, just happened to walk past the store, noticed they were being advertised, and decided on the spot to get one, was just lucky!

I came from using iphone 3g, 3gs, and 4, and found this phone harder to use to start with, very confusing, but once I figured it out, it is easy to use, and much more functional. The amount of options and settings you can change is incredible.

Huge screen, brilliant colours, and great speed.

Battery life so far as bee pretty standard... I'll most likely have to charge it nightly, but that doesn’t worry me. I also run a couple apps in the back ground which keep track of my Data usage, what is chewing through my battery, email widgets, Facebook widgets, news widgets, all of which are constantly updating, so I reckon my battery life would substantially increase if I didn't run those widgets.
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2011, 01:01 PM   #13
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

Samsung phones are good but they are so unreliable, the wife and I both have problems with ours.
Been back to be repaired twice on both handsets, buttons not working, screen freezes, battery life is woeful and my next phone will not be a Sumsing Wong.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:44 AM   #14
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

I picked up one for me and another for my wife. seems to be quite a big step up from my HTC Desire (which is a fantastic phone in its own right)! I love the Adroid OS. Far more options and flexibility than my friends iphone.

I initially had no idea how to sync my data as the box does not come with an install cd or a preloaded program that will install from the phone to the computer. Once I rang Samsung, it was easy (just download the sync program and it has a handy how to video).

Using it for everyday work use, its great! Smooth, reliable, and the battery is out of this world compared to my HTC and iphone 3GS. Screen resolution is great, but it does seem roto have a green tinge to it which tires out my eyes being "red/green colour blind".

Its also very powerful, switching programs and running heaps of them is almost completely seamless. Only had one delay so far, and it was only about 1 sec worth. 1G of RAM helps immensely.

And the thing I love most? Sync using cable, Bluetooth (my old 3GS had me fuming over the lack of this function) or over a wireless network! Gotta love that! So easy, convenient and logical (use the tech available to you).

Downsides are few but a little annoying. I don't know if its Samsung or Androids fault, but the keyboards lack of long touch short cuts (eg hold down "a" for "!") is a little annoying especially since the HTC keyboard was so easy to use. This maybe fixed by downloading a new keyboard app?? The other issue I found was that I can't seem to specify how many emails I download (eg set it to download 50 emails to the phone, or download the past 3 weeks worth like the desire can).

All in all, this is by far and away the best smartphone I have EVER seen or used. Which says allot as I have had one since they were released. Who would have thought... Samsung being the leader in mobile phone technology...

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2011, 01:11 AM   #15
GULL
TuRbO

Bought a sony xpperia play back from hong hong on the weekend,itd pretty much a psp with a phone attached,bloody awsome
GULL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2011, 01:57 AM   #16
RiTz

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Yangs
Samsung phones are good but they are so unreliable, the wife and I both have problems with ours.
Been back to be repaired twice on both handsets, buttons not working, screen freezes, battery life is woeful and my next phone will not be a Sumsing Wong.
3rd strike and tell them you want a new phone 

In the past ( twice ) I've had phones go in for fixing and both times and the third visit I got a brand new Phone 

Jo
RiTz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2011, 03:08 PM   #17
creative
I am Batman

seems they are already making roms, kernels etc for it.... check out xda.

I love this site and spend far to long reading through everything!
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2011, 08:10 AM   #18
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a $24 unlocked phone from Harvey Norman. I can phone people and they can phone me. End of story.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2011, 10:19 AM   #19
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

This morning I watched the Canadian Grand Prim on my phone via onehd's streaming video. Couldn't get my iphone or HTC to do that. Quite impressed by how smooth it was too!

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2011, 10:25 AM   #20
nstg8a

i ordered mine through optus last week, cant wait lol. be the first smartphone ive had, and even the first 'current' phone.

good to see above there is an app to keep track of data usage, that was one disclaimer i didnt like with the optus contract "you cant find out your usage until the bill arrives" but a 2gb plan should be plenty for me. i hope.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2011, 10:50 AM   #21
Kenay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy
I picked up one for me and another for my wife. seems to be quite a big step up from my HTC Desire (which is a fantastic phone in its own right)! I love the Adroid OS. Far more options and flexibility than my friends iphone.

I initially had no idea how to sync my data as the box does not come with an install cd or a preloaded program that will install from the phone to the computer. Once I rang Samsung, it was easy (just download the sync program and it has a handy how to video).

Using it for everyday work use, its great! Smooth, reliable, and the battery is out of this world compared to my HTC and iphone 3GS. Screen resolution is great, but it does seem roto have a green tinge to it which tires out my eyes being "red/green colour blind".

Its also very powerful, switching programs and running heaps of them is almost completely seamless. Only had one delay so far, and it was only about 1 sec worth. 1G of RAM helps immensely.

And the thing I love most? Sync using cable, Bluetooth (my old 3GS had me fuming over the lack of this function) or over a wireless network! Gotta love that! So easy, convenient and logical (use the tech available to you).

Downsides are few but a little annoying. I don't know if its Samsung or Androids fault, but the keyboards lack of long touch short cuts (eg hold down "a" for "!") is a little annoying especially since the HTC keyboard was so easy to use. This maybe fixed by downloading a new keyboard app?? The other issue I found was that I can't seem to specify how many emails I download (eg set it to download 50 emails to the phone, or download the past 3 weeks worth like the desire can).

All in all, this is by far and away the best smartphone I have EVER seen or used. Which says allot as I have had one since they were released. Who would have thought... Samsung being the leader in mobile phone technology...
if you want long touch keyboard shortcuts change your keyboard layout!

Settings> local and text> Select input method> I use swype!

Recovered - BA Rebuild LS1 T56
Kenay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2011, 08:17 PM   #22
nstg8a

picked mine up today, love it so far, will be even happier when optus connects it lol.
but so far surfing using the wifi is awesome, the damn thing is quicker than my laptop.
its physically bigger than i thought it would be, and cant believe how cheap n nasty the battery/sim cover seems.
will definitly be getting a case for it. now just need to learn how to use it.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2011, 08:38 PM   #23
fasty73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine keeps dropping out, going back to the main screen when using the Internet.
Old 14-06-2011, 10:15 PM   #24
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasty73
Mine keeps dropping out, going back to the main screen when using the Internet.

on wifi or 3g ?
Old 14-06-2011, 10:17 PM   #25
fasty73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On wifi, but my iPhone never does it.
Old 15-06-2011, 08:52 AM   #26
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Picked one up yesterday , still working out the voluminous things it is capable of , even the guy at telechoice who had an Iphone 4 admitted this has easily leapfrogged his phone .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 08:25 PM   #27
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lets hope they are reliable un-like anything with the Samsung name. Oh yeah, and the Galaxy S!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 08:29 PM   #28
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
I have a $24 unlocked phone from Harvey Norman. I can phone people and they can phone me. End of story.
You coulda got the same povo pack phone from the good guys for $23. Pays to shop around.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 09:34 PM   #29
KuRT12

My dad was in germany the day they were released and got me one for $720AUD unlocked brand spankering from there. Im with telstra, and worked straight out of the box.

******* love it - always loved Android over iOS but never seen any good phones with it.

Still getting use to the system and how to use but so so so so so much better! wish i had the NFC one though
KuRT12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2011, 03:29 AM   #30
RiTz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GULL
Bought a sony xpperia play back from hong hong on the weekend,itd pretty much a psp with a phone attached,bloody awsome
I've had my eye in those for over a yr.. Thought it would be out next yr ( closer to end of my contract )... This gadget grrl is soooo bummed right now 

Jo
RiTz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post