Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-07-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Automotive lighting

I'm curious if Halogen lights lose their luminosity/intensity as they age or have been on? My Phillips +80s don't seem to be as great as they used to be when I fitted them a few months ago. I've noticed they seem fairly average, not very intense to what I can remember when I first put them in.

I drive with my lights on when ever I drive, so about 2 hours 5 days a week.

Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2011, 06:51 AM   #2
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Automotive lighting

If the wattage is greater then the factory ones you have installed then eventually you will start to kill wiring quicker... more resistance in the wires means a duller light, less current.
Or if not the case, if they are duller then when installed you have a wiring issue.
Bad earthing most likely.
Pull the plug off the end of the light and put a mulitmeter on it and see how many volts are there.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2011, 08:21 AM   #3
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The current generation of 50 plus 80 plus and 100 plus do NOT draw any more current . They use a different gas in the bulb to get the extra lux and lumens .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2011, 08:58 AM   #4
sudszy
Banned

interesting question, Ive never experienced any noticeable dulling of halogen globes as they get older, not like the old sealed beams which could get more yellow as the filament evaporated and deposited itself on the lens of the lamp, that's the purpose of the halogen, to stop that happening.

Perhaps you do need to verify if they are indeed duller, get an identical replacement globe and compare, it may be the lenses on your lamps that are the issue, or that the wiring has deteriorated( low chance). Wiring in good condition should show a voltage drop of less than one volt between the +ve terminal of the battery and the +ve terminal of the lamp when the lamp is operating. Also test the voltage between the -ve terminal of the lamp and the -ve of the battery,(when its operating), there should be zero difference here....otherwise problem in earthing of headlight wiring.

If it proves to be the globe that has got duller, does the globe itself appear to have a deposit on it?
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2011, 09:05 AM   #5
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

My theory is they should get brighter as they age and the filaments slowly get thinner , I would guess voltage drop , either wiring / battery / alternator and a little in reflector deterioration.
Old 21-07-2011, 10:21 AM   #6
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I think you have just got used to them Damo? Pop in your old globes for a week or 2 then replace them with the new ones you think have dimmed.

See if they appear ultra bright again like you imagined they were when you first installed them.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2011, 11:01 AM   #7
kempy311
BEN

Yer as said before they dont pull and extra wattage its just the different gas in the globe, tighter wrapped filaments and different shape glass.

Stick in some new plus 100 and see if they are brighter i would say as they get older they would get duller.
My Thread. The new whip: 2014 FGX XR8 Auto in victory gold. Mods : BMC air filter, 1500cc injectors, Walbro 485, 58mm kpm snout, kpm intercooler, 35% front and 20% rear tint, pedders supercar coilovers, whiteline sway bars, Phillips HIDs, lenso d1r wheels.
331rwkw.
12.7 sec stock as a rock with a passenger.
Now with 620rwhp ready to run the 10

built zf, built tailshaft, corn juice all to come.

The old rig: 2008 FG XR8 Auto in dash green with a tonne of mods to make 311rwkw.
kempy311 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2011, 11:06 AM   #8
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
I think you have just got used to them Damo? Pop in your old globes for a week or 2 then replace them with the new ones you think have dimmed.

See if they appear ultra bright again like you imagined they were when you first installed them.
Unless there is indeed a fault with the bulbs, I believe that's your answer right there. Simple "familiarity breeds contempt". You really notice the brightness when you purchase them and for some time afterwoods, but it's just human nature to get used to something the more you see it, and after a while you won't notice it anymore.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #9
demood

Make sure you lenses are clean too, you'd be suprised how much difference that can make!
demood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2011, 04:59 PM   #10
FTE72
Red is nice Mark.

They will get a little dimmer with age(don't we all?) due to the breakdown of the filament being deposited and coating the inside of the lamp(not headlight assembly).
Have a look at any old halogen lamp or even old sealed beam, you might notice a silvery appearance. All lamps have rated life, they may last longer but generally the rated life means how long it will output at stated luminance.
TE 50 #72 Blueprint & TS 50 #105 Blueprint
:
FTE72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2011, 08:29 PM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva

This is probably it LOL.

Its either that or because I haven't washed my car for ages that dirt is on the covers.

Thanks for the tips though, I'll check Dad and Mum's car for voltage drop because their lights suck big time compared to mine, could be reflector design though.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post