Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-07-2011, 09:44 AM   #1
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Finance Question

I know you cannot sell a car you owe money on. But is it possible to trade the finance to a new car and sell the one that you originally financed.

E.g. My car is currently worth 20k as a trade in. I also owe about 20k on it. I want a different car that is 30k at a car yard.

So if I give the dealer my current car worth 20k. Give him 10k cash then take the new car home, change the finance to the new car and continue to pay off the 20k I owe like nothing has changed, is that possible?

I know the only way to find out 100% is to call the finance company, but I would like to hear if anyone knows anything about it.

Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2011, 09:56 AM   #2
Cúl-Báire

Default Re: Finance Question

If the finance is "bank finance" then maybe, but most finance company contracts aren't transferable (atleast not without a great deal of brain pain); which means you need to pay out the finance before any encumbance is removed from the vehilce.

I asked Toyota Finance the same sort of thing a while ago, asking if it were possible to increase the finance, and transfer the vehicle encumbance to a vehicle of much higher value. Their short answer was no.
Cúl-Báire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2011, 10:03 AM   #3
R1XSTA
Silky Smoothe

I think thats what happens, I called up about it a few months back. I owe 10k on my car, they offered that for trade in, and then was gonna get a new car for the full 30k again.

Finance company gave me the run around and ****ed me off. Its much easier to get a loan, and then pay the finance off then pay the loan off once the cars sold.
- 2006 Ford Territory Turbo; Silhoutte, Leather, Plazmaman CAI.
R1XSTA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2011, 10:14 AM   #4
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What you do is finance the amount for your new car, and you pay the loan out with the trade in that the dealership gives you. The dealership can organise all this.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2011, 10:21 AM   #5
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
I know you cannot sell a car you owe money on. But is it possible to trade the finance to a new car and sell the one that you originally financed.

E.g. My car is currently worth 20k as a trade in. I also owe about 20k on it. I want a different car that is 30k at a car yard.

So if I give the dealer my current car worth 20k. Give him 10k cash then take the new car home, change the finance to the new car and continue to pay off the 20k I owe like nothing has changed, is that possible?

I know the only way to find out 100% is to call the finance company, but I would like to hear if anyone knows anything about it.
If the original loan is unsecured, what you are proposing is feasible.

But if the loan is secured by the car, the car is encumbered and cannot be transferred without first removing the encumbrance. The dealer or buyer would do a REVS check to see if they are getting clear title to the car. This means that the finance company would have to be paid out first before they remove the encumbrance and notify REVS
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2011, 10:22 AM   #6
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the quick responses. I wanted to avoid taking out another loan but it looks like that is the only way to do it.

I hate getting finance. Showing proof of income, bank statements and all that. That's why it would of been great to keep the current one. Plus I'm on a 9.5% intrest rate. Don't know if I can get it that good the second time.

I don't know if it makes a difference but the finance company is esanda through the ANZ
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #7
R1XSTA
Silky Smoothe

I'm with Esanda, and its definately no can do!! Which is my problem at the moment. I have the bank lined up for the loan when my car gets sold.

9.5% Geez. I envy you, im up in 14%, no idea why. Was in my job for near 3 years, perfect record, no defaults.. Stupid system
- 2006 Ford Territory Turbo; Silhoutte, Leather, Plazmaman CAI.
R1XSTA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2011, 12:08 AM   #8
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wait, what?

It works like this:

My car owes $15k. Dealer gives me $15k trade on my $30k new car.

I get pay out letter from financier, give it to dealer. Before delivery, new financier pays 30k for new car, and at the same time, dealership pays 15k to old financier. I then hand over trade in, and take delivery of new car.

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post