Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-09-2011, 09:29 PM   #1
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

Default Car transporters thrashing cars?

So as a few of you would know i joined the Army at the start of the year, left the car to my dad in brissy to have some work done, and on the 30th of last month, was picked up by Toll, and delivered to my base in Victoria on wednesday.

Now when the ute left brissy, she was running beautifully, my dad even took a video and just hearing it over the phone it sounded so smooth and excellent. The speedo reading then was 11,541.

Car gets off trailer at my base 14 days later. Tappets are loud as HELL, wobbly noise, sounds like a drive shaft hitting something or being loose in the gearbox, fuel float was high as hell and when over 1500 revs would fart out because of how rich it was, coolant leaking from head, almost un-drivable. Speedo reading 11,560

Now I'm non the wiser as to how the whole delivery proccess goes, but im pretty bloody sure there is no way in hell thay can drive 20 odd k's just getting it off one truck to another.
Very
Bloody
Angry
What do I do?
I dropped it off at a well known dyno that very night and picked it up this arvo, runs better but still shudders around and acts crap...

Old 16-09-2011, 09:56 PM   #2
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 
Default Re: Car transporters thrashing cars?

Shoulda turned the rev limiter right down Trust no one
gregaust is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 11:01 PM   #3
BLKWDW

I work for ceva a car carrying company doing the melb to syd run. I cant say how toll do there drop offs but when i pick up a car from melb i'll drive it no more then 50 to 100mtrs to be loaded on the truck. When its unloaded they get parked in a bay for incoming cars then once checked over are moved to another part of the yard for outgoing cars. All up a car will be lucky to do a 1km of driving between being picked up and dropped of. Now i dont know if they run straight from brissy to melb(we dont) but even if the car was swapped from truck to truck in syd it would be lucky to have 3kms put on it. i have heard of certain drivers for certain companies pulling up at back roads and unloading cars and taking them for drives but i thought it was just all hear say.

Next time go with ceva.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Xsessi...3215500?ref=mf
Cheers Daz.
BLKWDW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

Use the tools you have at hand, you can get Legal advice from the Army Div staff, FOC or they will arrange civillian legals, again should be no cost to you.
Front Tool with a letter of demand saying pay up or see you in court. Let the fun begin.

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Supercharged BA 6 Ute - Wife's daily

351W F150 93 XLT 4x4 Supercab
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2011, 07:21 PM   #5
Addz08
"FEED IT"

Rear tyres scuffed up??
BA XR8 UTE ,PACEMAKER 4/1'S,MAGNAFLOW METALCORE CATS,TOYS CUSTOM TWIN 2 1/2 SYSTEM, CAPA TUNE, K&N FILTER, LIGHTENED BILLET STEEL FLYWHEEL, DCS CLUTCH, SS INDUCTIONS BIGMOUTH CAI, 20" FR20 SIMMONS....
Addz08 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2011, 07:36 PM   #6
kenz
BOSS Pilot

one reason I have a valet tune so my car cant be revved over 3k if I drop it off to someone I dont know. I guess that isnt really possible for you though but I would be seeking legal advice, perhaps even finding out from them what their process is and how they managed 20kms

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2011, 08:51 PM   #7
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did you take a photo of the speedo before transport - otherwise it's "your word against their's". Sounds to me as though it got a good thrashing ....
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2011, 08:56 PM   #8
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKWDW
I work for ceva a car carrying company doing the melb to syd run. I cant say how toll do there drop offs but when i pick up a car from melb i'll drive it no more then 50 to 100mtrs to be loaded on the truck. When its unloaded they get parked in a bay for incoming cars then once checked over are moved to another part of the yard for outgoing cars. All up a car will be lucky to do a 1km of driving between being picked up and dropped of. Now i dont know if they run straight from brissy to melb(we dont) but even if the car was swapped from truck to truck in syd it would be lucky to have 3kms put on it. i have heard of certain drivers for certain companies pulling up at back roads and unloading cars and taking them for drives but i thought it was just all hear say.

Next time go with ceva.
Mate I'm sure your responsible but my ute got delivered to Brisbane had an additional 15k's was covered in mud and ceva did nothing about it.
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2011, 09:08 PM   #9
LTDHO
The one and only

Should have put the carby in the boot!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2011, 09:21 PM   #10
falconhell74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mate had his 72 mustang grande sent from brissy to makay got the runaround, went to there yard on the weekend to see if he could take it home from there , no one was there but he could see his car in the middle of yard with big black burnouts all around it, when he got the car on the following tuesday back tyres half bauld, needless to say not happy, but ended up he couldnt do stuff all about it.

Audi A4 S-line quttro
Xc falcon
Previous fords-
xc falcon 500 ,250 x flow 3 speed
xc gs worked 250 x flow 4 speed
xa Fairmont 302 auto wagon
xb falcon 250 log auto 4 door
xb falcon 200 log auto ute
xc gs project - had to sell :-(
xc gs 302 4 speed 4 door
xc gs 351 auto 4 door
zf fairlane 302 auto
zk fairlane 250 x flow carb auto
zl fairlane 250 x flow EFI auto
xg ute , BA falcon dedicated gas
xd, xf x 3 ,ea,eb,ef,au x 3,telstar tx5
falconhell74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2011, 09:28 PM   #11
Zero_PSI
Banned

That is actually really unusual. Don't the army use Toll? Toll are very proffessional and very strict on the company policy in my experiences.
Zero_PSI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2011, 09:32 PM   #12
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

15k's = 60 runs at the drags..
Hmm ?? Check valve springs...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2011, 09:38 PM   #13
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero_PSI
That is actually really unusual. Don't the army use Toll? Toll are very proffessional and very strict on the company policy in my experiences.

Defence use Toll, but Toll sub contract out to other companies... I got moved with Wridgeways and vehicles with some other mob...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2011, 09:40 PM   #14
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

A workmate of mine had a drag car picked up from SA, and brought to Sydney, and found it was damaged by the car loaded in front of it.
He'd been to SA to view it before purchase, but didn't have photos, and therefore couldn't prove anything. Ceva didn't want to know about it.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2011, 09:42 PM   #15
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess if you were transporting an older car you could pull a few leads off and put them in glovebox so that the cars still driveable (just) but not enough to be thrashed.
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Stazza_Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2011, 09:50 PM   #16
ACEz

That is just plain wrong, If that was my car i would not be happy !
Old 17-09-2011, 10:30 PM   #17
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

What do you think happens when you take your car to get serviced, I know when I was working the dealership, the things that mechanics did to customers cars.

What we do to our company ute, its a 4 cyl petrol ute and last fillup it used 30L/100km.

If it involves someone else driving it, expect the worst.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2011, 10:45 PM   #18
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You never do know...I always liked the idea of a Corvette than came out some years back with a "Valet switch" in the center console. You used a seperate key to the ignition one to turn the switch, and it would impose a rev limiter on the engine (two or three grand springs to mind at most), and also cut the way the EFI delivered fuel so it was very "gutless".

I had a GT Cortina taken for a run by an apprentice and his mate and two girls when we left it with Ford for a tune up...I happened to be at Bargara Beach 20km from Bundy when we saw it roaring down a street while a beach carnival was on. My mate was a professional photographer and I went down there with him. The apprentice learned a lesson that A: a member of the public who trusts thier car to them is very likely not to pay for the service if they see thier car being abused, and B: if you're going to do it, try not to pick the car that's the only one like it in town and that stands out like dogs balls...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2011, 12:03 AM   #19
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
What do you think happens when you take your car to get serviced, I know when I was working the dealership, the things that mechanics did to customers cars.

What we do to our company ute, its a 4 cyl petrol ute and last fillup it used 30L/100km.

If it involves someone else driving it, expect the worst.

Never a truer statement said
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2011, 01:00 AM   #20
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
You never do know...I always liked the idea of a Corvette than came out some years back with a "Valet switch" in the center console. You used a seperate key to the ignition one to turn the switch, and it would impose a rev limiter on the engine (two or three grand springs to mind at most), and also cut the way the EFI delivered fuel so it was very "gutless".
Callaway ZR1??? IIRC, it wasn't very gutless, just more normal.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2011, 01:59 AM   #21
xboss

The last car I had transported, I got the seller to write the odometer reading on some masking tape and stuck it to the steering wheel. He sent a photo of it to me as proof of the odometer reading at the time the car was picked up.
The reason we stuck it to the steering wheel was so anyone who jumped in the car knew that we had checked the reading on the odo.
When I picked up the car, it still had the same odo reading.
xboss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2011, 09:54 AM   #22
nitro50th

While i think that what has happened here is totally wrong and in the same situation i would be just as pi**ed off, can i offer a different perspective.

How many of us here has given 'our' cars one last send off before we drop them off at the dealer before trade in time. I think alot of us are guilty of this. Technically they are not our cars anymore but the next owner's.

Again how many of us have gone on holidays and grabbed a rental car. It's pretty common knowledge that rentals go harder than anything else on the road. (just check youtube for confirmation). Again these cars are technically not our cars.

Am i comparing apples with oranges here!! Or just missing the point.

Again i completely sympathise with XCwillo, i'm just trying to see things a bit differently. (although when it has resulted in engine damage, then thats really crossing the line)

OK, let the arguments begin, please be gentle on me.

Steven.
05 BF XR6
10 FG XR50

Present:
81 XD Falcon 351.
nitro50th is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2011, 10:28 AM   #23
Cabbage
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Willo if they have done as you suspect, then that is a low act. 20ks is a lot to put on a ute that should only be moved around a yard. I think someone has seen your ute, seen it's had some work and looks good and decided to go for a drive. I'd be trying to raise hell with the transporter, get some legal advice off the adf and see what happens.

Steve nothing justifies someone giving willo's ute a flogging. Someone flogging a rental or a car they have sold is totally irrelevant in this case.
Cabbage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2011, 10:28 AM   #24
Cabbage
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Double post.
Cabbage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2011, 10:50 AM   #25
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro50th
While i think that what has happened here is totally wrong and in the same situation i would be just as pi**ed off, can i offer a different perspective.

How many of us here has given 'our' cars one last send off before we drop them off at the dealer before trade in time. I think alot of us are guilty of this. Technically they are not our cars anymore but the next owner's.

Again how many of us have gone on holidays and grabbed a rental car. It's pretty common knowledge that rentals go harder than anything else on the road. (just check youtube for confirmation). Again these cars are technically not our cars.

Am i comparing apples with oranges here!! Or just missing the point.

Again i completely sympathise with XCwillo, i'm just trying to see things a bit differently. (although when it has resulted in engine damage, then thats really crossing the line)

OK, let the arguments begin, please be gentle on me.

Steven.
i think you make a very good point. all fun and games until it happens to us.

also, the missing 20km. isn't it possible these could've been clocked up by your father in brissie before dropping it to the transport company?

it does sound like the car has had a bit of an italian tune up. good luck with following up on it.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2011, 10:51 AM   #26
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

You should have a liaison officer that will have taken care of the moving for you, they should be your first point of contact.

If I was in your shoes, I'd be pretty peeved (I'd have a holiday if I said how I really felt).

But when you speak to the liaison officer, just remember they probably won't have any clue about what has happened, they organise it, but they don't take the trip with your belongings - go easy on them, they're just a messenger. I had a mate who used to do the liaison job, and from the stories she told - I'd never want to be in their shoes, particularly when Toll have proven to be pretty poor in their delivery of their goods for the Defence force, but from what I understand, they've actually gotten better (although this story proves otherwise).

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2011, 11:02 AM   #27
cowboy
Cowboy

I have a mate in WA who rolled up to collect his car from the transport co (it had come from vic), he arrived quite early and witnessed his car doing circlework in the yard. Another at the Holden dealer in Kalgoorlie, apprentice doing burnouts in a customers HSV, he got photos of it and threw a fit at the dealers, that car now has a lifetime driveline warranty.

19km is way too much though, I'd be mightily ****ed off.
1930 Pontiac Landaulet
1932 Pontiac V8 sedan
1935 Pontiac sedan
1937 Pontiac 8 sedan
1948 Pontiac silver streak
1949 Ford F3 pickup
1953 Pontiac Chieftain
1955 Austin Champ
1957 Dodge Power Wagon
1967 Jeep Gladiator
1975 TD Cortina
1978 F100 4x4
2006 GU Patrol ute
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2011, 11:09 AM   #28
red80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had to get a car transported from Woolongong to Brisbane and looked at Toll, Ceva etc. We have a Toll depot near work so I went for a drive past and found trailers loaded with some nice cars (as well as stock ones) just parked on the side of the road over night. I also tried calling to organise an enclosed trailer as offered on their website but was told it is just the luck of the draw.

Next time go for a small independant company as the big guys will just ignore you and loose you in the fine print if you complain.
red80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2011, 11:11 AM   #29
red80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy
I have a mate in WA who rolled up to collect his car from the transport co (it had come from vic), he arrived quite early and witnessed his car doing circlework in the yard. Another at the Holden dealer in Kalgoorlie, apprentice doing burnouts in a customers HSV, he got photos of it and threw a fit at the dealers, that car now has a lifetime driveline warranty.

19km is way too much though, I'd be mightily ****ed off.
A mate of mine had his typhoon serviced at a Ford dealer only to get a phone call saying it had been involved in an "incident" meaning the apprentice had taken it for a flogging and stacked it.
red80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2011, 11:31 AM   #30
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers
A workmate of mine had a drag car picked up from SA, and brought to Sydney, and found it was damaged by the car loaded in front of it.
He'd been to SA to view it before purchase, but didn't have photos, and therefore couldn't prove anything. Ceva didn't want to know about it.
well ceva does a condition report when the car is dropped off, and whoever drops it off has to review the report and sign off on it

perhaps the car was dropped off already damaged?
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post