Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-10-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Default Honda Accord Euro

I'm thinking about getting one of these as a runabout/commuter. Have driven both manual and auto and will go for an auto version as I have a daily commute from the Eastern Suburbs to the Airport and I think a manual will drive me mad.

I've seen a few of these in the $15-$20K range with under 100,000km on them. I have an impression older folks bought them new and hardly used them. They seem to me to be a really good buy.

I'd like to know what peoples ownership experience is, I realize being a Ford forum experiences will be second hand etc. Need to know if there is anything to watch out for.

All info is good.....

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 10:48 AM   #2
qdda5

Default Re: Honda Accord Euro

My wife used to have one of these cars and found absolutely nothing wrong with it. Mind you I dont think Honda build too many duds anyway. We found the car to be more than comfortable and the heated front seats were always a favourite when the kids were in the front. It was well balanced on the road and handled well when pushed. Motor could do with a few more herbs but it is a car for the more mature types and to find one that had been thrashed would be a miracle. They are pretty good value for money and I wouldnt be surprised if you picked up a 5-6 yr old one with less than 80 k on it. Build and paint quality we found to be almost perfect. It wont dissapoint thats for sure. Cheers
qdda5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 10:52 AM   #3
qdda5

Forgot to add....
Get the auto, much better option.
qdda5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 11:09 AM   #4
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A friend of mine has one, a three year old model...black, six speed manual. She has had literally zero problems with it, and it's one of those modern front wheel drives that doesn't "drive like a front wheel drive"...you'd be hard pressed to pick it as one, unless you make a habit of smoking the tyres at every opportunity. It feels really well balanced and the manual is a sweet shifter. The auto is also apparently pretty damn good.
She does a lot of trips (and I mean a lot) from our town to Bundaberg, about 1000km round trip, and it never misses a beat and is great on the highway.

You'll be happy.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 11:22 AM   #5
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
A friend of mine has one, a three year old model...black, six speed manual. She has had literally zero problems with it, and it's one of those modern front wheel drives that doesn't "drive like a front wheel drive"...you'd be hard pressed to pick it as one, unless you make a habit of smoking the tyres at every opportunity. It feels really well balanced and the manual is a sweet shifter. The auto is also apparently pretty damn good.
She does a lot of trips (and I mean a lot) from our town to Bundaberg, about 1000km round trip, and it never misses a beat and is great on the highway.

You'll be happy.
A workmate just got one, has driven 3000km's (travelling 800km round trips)in the last month in it and cant fault a thing on it. She also has the 6spd manual.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 11:22 AM   #6
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a chick i know has one and like all honda's its faultless
davenl5l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 02:15 PM   #7
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My old lady has one bought it new 3 years ago done bout 35000km's in that time and loves it I have driven it a few times and don't find it very comfortable but hey I love my big fords
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 02:37 PM   #8
2.8L Hilux
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The pool car at work is a '06 Euro with about 120,000kms on it. I've done a few thousand kms in it and can hardly fault it. The 5 speed auto is a nice box, changes well but hunts around a bit (expected for a 4 cyl). Driving position is good. The only issues are the brake rotors keep warping (Keep getting machined instead of replaced) and it recently had the power steering hose? replaced under a recall. Best handling larger front wheel drive car I've driven.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:17 PM   #9
AU Mont
Banned

imo you could do better

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...2%204294856793
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 03:30 PM   #10
hamoudy10
Ford Nut

Excellent car, we had one for 3 years from new when they were first released. Had 60000km when we sold it for 23k. Sound system was great and so was the v-tec, the motor does well! You going for the luxury model?

Petroleum FG MKII XR6 Turbo - 350rwkw

Magnetic 2017 Mustang GT - 300rwkw
hamoudy10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 05:21 PM   #11
Bearman

Thanks for the replies folks, it pretty much reiterates my impression that they are a "can't go wrong" type of car. Whether I go for the luxury or not just depends on the individual deal. Leather would be nice but it's not a deal breaker, couldn't give a monkeys about the sunroof etc.

Priority will me mileage, condition and service history. Not too fussed on year because it'll be kept for yonks and end up like my crusty old XR6 (hopefully after a lot more km's than the XR6!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont
Interesting. That's the great thing about these forums, Subaru had slipped my mind. On paper they seem good but for reasons I can't explain I've never warmed to Subaru. Don't know why......

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:29 PM   #12
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearman
Interesting. That's the great thing about these forums, Subaru had slipped my mind. On paper they seem good but for reasons I can't explain I've never warmed to Subaru. Don't know why......

go check one out

the wife recently upgraded her Impreza to an '08 Liberty and its a great car. AWD, 6 airbags, 1300kg, 127kw etc.

The 8th gen Honda's look great, but prices start at 20k, whereas theres plenty of 2008 Liberty's between 17-20k and are a much better option than a 7th gen Honda euro
Old 07-10-2011, 06:30 PM   #13
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We checked out Subarus when we were car hunting, but were surprised at the fuel economy, or lack thereof, of thier cars. I suppose they are a rather heavy AWD platform with a four cylinder engine. Nothing wrong with them, they just used a lot more fuel than I thought. Seeing the comprehensive flogging that tards put through Imprezas, they seem to hold up OK.

My friends Honda Euro has the white leather interior...hard to keep clean, but christ are they comfortable seats!
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 06:32 PM   #14
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Yeh my mate had a Euro and has been great to him so far! But With AU, the Liberty is a amazing car! So slick and sexy particularly in black. Sensational interior.

But reliability wise, Id probably be more inclinded the Euro.
Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 06:39 PM   #15
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Few Euros at work. Boring car actually, fill it with petrol, service it and nothing goes wrong.

Manual works well on those.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 07:25 PM   #16
GT-E

We have a non Euro one for a company car and in 4 years it has had 0% problems and warranty claims. We service it every 6 months and it is boringly reliable. My Mum has a '07 Euro and has about 60,000km on it. Never missed a beat. Try the non Euro ones as they cost less and are still a great car, you can also get them in a v6.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:33 PM   #17
Ringo
I see you....

Nice car, strong resale and very very reliable. I used to work in a Honda dealership service dept and all we ever did was change oil and plugs in the things.

Service History is a must - high prescision engine does not like dirty oil (like all new generation engines) and they do need premium unleaded.

Don't get red - it fades and I think the balance of the 4cyl accord is better than the v6 models which are to heavy on the f end and feel mushy through the steering and brakes.

Subaru are all of the above (reliabale, resale etc etc) but are heavier on fuel because of the AWD bit - a few minutes research on carsales will give you the stats.

I also thought the suspension was very firm which would irratate me as a daily driver and Melbourne love of speed humps but I'm getting old...
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 07:56 PM   #18
Barnaby

V6 accord made in Thailand. Accord Euro made in Japan.

Used to own one. Great car, bit gutless down low. Great fuel economy. Turning circle with 17" wheels is appalling. Road noise with these wheels a bit high out on the highway, but shouldn't be a problem for you. Oil filter is on the firewall side of the engine so hard to get to without a hoist or ramps.

Small issues really. Great car.
Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 09:09 PM   #19
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Expensive to service, I used to work at a Honda dealership, they have old school tappets and they need inspection and adjusting every 40,000km, they also have in tank fuel filters, which the fuel pump and regulator is inbuilt into the filter assembly, so you have to swap everything over when you do a filter which need replacing at 80,000km increments, which is a $800+ service at a dealership.

Good car though, Honda reliability. Though like all Honda's, to get her movin' along swiftly, needs to be above 5000 RPM ;)

I'd go for an Accord V6 Luxury, a bit bigger, better interior, still the issue with tappets though except worse because its a transverse V6.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 03:00 PM   #20
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
We checked out Subarus when we were car hunting, but were surprised at the fuel economy, or lack thereof, of thier cars. I suppose they are a rather heavy AWD platform with a four cylinder engine. Nothing wrong with them, they just used a lot more fuel than I thought. !
Being the owner of both a Subaru and a Honda, I'll come out in defence of the Subaru's fuel economy. Yes they are a bit thirstier around town but on the open road you'd be amazed at the economy you can get out out of the 2.5litre boxer.

On a recent trip to Margaret River I managed 6.6L/100km in my 2008 Liberty 2.5i manual.

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 04:31 PM   #21
VICFPV

I was in the same boat recently looking at honda accords.
Got a Nissan Maxima instead.
Great engine 3.5 v6. very comfortable for daily commute and great on fuel if you fill it on 98. I have put 6500kms on it and had the inspection done at time of purchase no issues just had a slight tear in the cv rubber which got fixed in the warranty period.
They are alot cheaper to service and there great examples going for less then 15k.
On the highway it get me 800kms. And daily commuting it gets me 500kms. But thats my driving.
Good luck with it as there is so many choices out there.
VICFPV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-10-2011, 05:43 PM   #22
JG34JA

Friends had the old model Euro, manual 'sports' model (chrome was blacked out, different mag wheels). Very solid, very reliable and a great perception of quality. It could rev and handle! Generally it was quite firm in the suspension dept, and we noticed that it seemed to work at about 1000 revs higher across the board than the DOHC Ford six. You could do worse.
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 06:26 PM   #23
Bearman

Got one. Bought a 2005 Luxury version with all the fruit, 83,000kms, service books 100%, one local owner, traded in on a newer one. 3 year warranty as well. Got a pretty good deal and the best trade in offer I've had on the XR6. Best of all it's not bloody Silver!!!!

There was a Subaru Liberty in the same yard, we had a good look but didn't like it as much.

Thanks to all the responses, some really good info came to light.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:17 PM   #24
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICFPV
Got a Nissan Maxima instead.
depending which year, auto rebuild's arent too uncommon at all in a Maxima
Old 09-10-2011, 12:44 AM   #25
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamoudy10
Sound system was great
Agree! The stock sound systems in them is great
GreenR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2011, 01:46 AM   #26
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

OK ... now for the pics.

My Mum bought the previous shape Euro Sport in red brand new.
Only had a really strange incident where the sunroof exploded outwards on the highway .... but that's the only thing she has mentioned about it.

Other than that ... she loves it ... has it in the auto with black leather ... nice looking vehicle. Only get red if it is garaged though. Her's still looks like new as it doesn't get driven much ... but I have seen other "faded" examples.

Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2011, 01:54 AM   #27
mrghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

honda's cost a bit more to fix BUT are a lot more reliable then most other cars.
They drive good and look great as well
Old 09-10-2011, 04:26 PM   #28
b2tf
not here much anymore

The other half's car is an 05 model Euro 6spd manual. Very happy with it, cannot fault it in any way - we were looking to trade it on a newer car a while back but have since decided to buy another house instead.

Parts can be exxy and youre up for the cost of checking valve clearances every 40,000 but the overall experience is very positive, you get a lot of car for the money.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:27 PM   #29
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

You kept it Austin ... I remember you saying that you were looking at moving it on.

I think it's one of those cars that will age well ... and still retain owner enjoyment.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2011, 02:34 PM   #30
Bearman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearman
Got one. Bought a 2005 Luxury version with all the fruit, 83,000kms, service books 100%, one local owner, traded in on a newer one. 3 year warranty as well. Got a pretty good deal and the best trade in offer I've had on the XR6. Best of all it's not bloody Silver!!!!

There was a Subaru Liberty in the same yard, we had a good look but didn't like it as much.

Thanks to all the responses, some really good info came to light.
Today was the big day, so goodbye XR6:

And hello Honda Accord Euro:

Can't believe the difference. This is a great little car.

This user likes this post: