Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-11-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default GS Test Drive - Brisbane

G'day all,

After a brief foray into the dark side I'm considering a change (again).

Currently looking to explore my options for a current model family sedan that also doubles as a 5 star ANCAP rated rocket ship.

Phoned FPV today looking to test drive a GS or GT however they inform me I will have to wait until January before the get them back in stock.

As you can imagine I don't particularly want to wait two months for a simple putt around the block, so is there anyone in Brisbane area who would be willing to let me have a demo of their GS / GT?

It would be preferable if the car is in stock trim as I won't be touching it due to:
A.) Warranty and (most importantly)
B.) The minister of war and finance has to drive it too

Appropriate compensation in the form of beer or otherwise can be provided.

Regards,

GSAU

My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 
Default Re: GS Test Drive - Brisbane

Bryan Byrt Ford has a heap of them still...

Mt Gravatt - Senior Hua
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

did you hear harpson is getting a GS, GS?
Old 24-11-2011, 03:54 PM   #4
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Indeed I did Mr Hardware, that's why I started looking into it and it's actually going to work out cheaper than owning the bucket of bolts I'm currently driving.

GS in a GS haha

Thanks for the heads up DASH GT, booked in for Saturday in a Manual GS
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Old 24-11-2011, 04:55 PM   #5
Mr Hardware

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Yeah well that wouldn't be hard
Old 24-11-2011, 05:48 PM   #6
coupecouple04

A mate of mine just took delivery of his gs in white what an awesome drive .a heap of power.His brother always a Holden man took it for a drive and ordered one the next day trading in his commodore.
coupecouple04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 10:47 PM   #7
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_au
Indeed I did Mr Hardware, that's why I started looking into it and it's actually going to work out cheaper than owning the bucket of bolts I'm currently driving.

GS in a GS haha

Thanks for the heads up DASH GT, booked in for Saturday in a Manual GS
No worries mate, I think the manual is a Nitro with black stripes, they have an Auto GS ute there too and an Auto GT / Manual GT-P.

I took the manual white GT-P out today and its a weapon.. I love it!
Old 24-11-2011, 11:52 PM   #8
dirty

I took a GT-P for a test run last week and they are trick, and good value for money compared to the dark side (-:
dirty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2011, 12:07 AM   #9
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

I think I need to stay away from the GT, I'll end up driving it and wanting it instead of the GS!

How did you find the manual box? Heard the Tremac TR6060 are a bit dodgy? Surely couldn't be any worse than the T56 box I've got More notches in that gearbox than a viking boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Yeah well that wouldn't be hard
Speaking of which, the fuel gauge just failed on me as I was driving home, had the bloody thing bleeping at me non-stop for half an hour and resembled more of a boost gauge as the revs climbed and fell... old cars... I'll be able to save a mortgage with the repairs I won't be doing

What I'm after:

Last edited by grandpa_spec_F6; 25-11-2011 at 12:36 AM.
Old 25-11-2011, 12:34 AM   #10
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

double post
Old 25-11-2011, 12:49 AM   #11
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This manual GTP i drove today was silky smooth... Could not believe it and my mate couldn't either as we have both driven previous manual Ford V8's... I really like this car but the price has me a bit stuffed, its 10 kay more then a demo auto GT-E... I still think I'll wait for FG2.
Old 25-11-2011, 12:56 AM   #12
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
This manual GTP i drove today was silky smooth... .. its 10 kay more then a demo auto GT-E... I still think I'll wait for FG2.
That's good to know, will hopefully see the same with the GS on Saturday.

$10K more is a lot of dosh, and considering it's $20k more than the GS I just can't justify the stretch. When does FGII come out? Hopefully that will lower the price a bit
Old 25-11-2011, 01:02 AM   #13
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That's good to know, will hopefully see the same with the GS on Saturday.

$10K more is a lot of dosh, and considering it's $20k more than the GS I just can't justify the stretch. When does FGII come out? Hopefully that will lower the price a bit

FG2 should be hitting dealers anytime after the 5th...

The GS should be around the low 50's.
Old 25-11-2011, 10:05 AM   #14
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That black GS looks unreal.. I'd be perfectly content with a GS n get a set of bigger brakes for it
Old 25-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #15
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupecouple04
A mate of mine just took delivery of his gs in white what an awesome drive .a heap of power.His brother always a Holden man took it for a drive and ordered one the next day trading in his commodore.
if only we can get the rest of the holden camp to do that
Old 25-11-2011, 11:18 AM   #16
Mr Hardware

That looks bloody good GS, but get an auto ya dingbat.
Old 25-11-2011, 02:51 PM   #17
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Are there any FG2 FPV pics around as yet? I'm not fussed on the normal FG2 which is why I bought my XR50. Looks way more aggressive than the new front bumper IMO. But am keen to see FPV's interpretations of the FG2.
Old 25-11-2011, 02:52 PM   #18
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FG 2 FPV is the same except GS gets the new XR front bumper...
Old 25-11-2011, 03:33 PM   #19
GTP 290

Do yourself a favour and also try the auto. You will regret not giving it a chance.
GTP 290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2011, 04:25 PM   #20
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP 290
Do yourself a favour and also try the auto. You will regret not giving it a chance.
Agreed. My XR50 is my first auto car ever and I got my license in 87. Love it.
Old 25-11-2011, 06:33 PM   #21
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

I guess I still have that "kid racer" in me that wants the 6 speed manual, but at the same time wants to delegate start stop duties to something other than my increasingly large left calf muscle. Might be fairer on the missus too. As dash said they have the Gs ute there so will give it a go as well (time permitting)
Old 25-11-2011, 07:26 PM   #22
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
I guess I still have that "kid racer" in me that wants the 6 speed manual, but at the same time wants to delegate start stop duties to something other than my increasingly large left calf muscle. Might be fairer on the missus too. As dash said they have the Gs ute there so will give it a go as well (time permitting)
haha my wife actually wanted me to get a manual but the auto box is too good not to use it.

Enjoy the test drive!
Old 26-11-2011, 05:46 PM   #23
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

SO! Firstly a big thanks to DASH GT for the heads up and secondly to Senior Hue at Bryan Byrt Ford.

Arrived at 10am and the staff member who was organising it had called in sick, within 10 minutes Senior had come out and sorted everything, handed me the keys and let me loose by myself in a GS Manual, Nitro colour.

Got in the car, adjusted everything and I was off.... well....I got as far as the gate before I stalled it, smack bang in the middle of the road, and spent the next 30 seconds in mild panic trying to turn it back on.... only after making sure the clutch was in, it wasn't in gear, handbrake on etc etc did I notice the obnoxiously large "START ENGINE" button on the centre console.

Finally got it out for a drive on the main drag and it proved it's mild manners amicably, smooth, quiet with a hint of a supercharged v8, strong pull from 2000rpm and when turning corners, anything more than 1/3 throttle resulted in chirping the wheels.

After 5 minutes or so I felt it was time to stretch the legs, so rolling in second at about 30km's an hour the loud pedal was depressed... and I was instantly impressed. The boost needle flicked into life, the roar I'd been waiting for was now audible and the whine of a supercharger working furiously radiated from the engine bay.

Zero to License in a gnats fart is the best way I can describe it. All in all, lots of pull in any gear from woe to go.

However, stopping was a whole different affair. The brakes for something like this beast are scary. As others have noted they feel doughy and something like the Brembo's would be better suited for a more crisp and responsive feel. Alas they do not offer that option with the GS.

The seat seemed to be too high and the breakfast pillow headrest made you feel like your head was more interested in your crotch than the road.

The manual was good however far from precise, very easy to do with a simple flick and glide of the wrist and you were in the desired gear but lacked any sort of refinement.

All in all it was a fun ride, provided you were in a straight line as corners seemed to be the Achilles heel for this high-powered monstrosity.

So back to the dealer I went with small grin and had a word to Senior about the car. After a brief chinwag, Senior suggested he had a car in mind for me.

"You ever driven an F6?", NO WAY! I'm a v8 man, down low power, lots of grunt with a 6 speed stick so I can control her how I want!.

"I think I can change your mind" were his words as he proceeded to bring it round front. Whatever..... or so I thought.

The first kilometre was a nice leisurely cruise, insert sales pitch here type thing and for all intended purposes we were driving a very smooth town car.

Senior then decided to demonstrate how it was "more fun" than the GS while we were waiting at the light.... and with a stomp of the foot and a rush that threw me back into my seat we were at the other side of the intersection and my heart became firmly planted in my throat.

I then got a turn and going under a bridge it sounded like I was in a fighter jet, the noise is nothing like a v8, something unique and individual all to itself.

I have to say, I'm converted, it's a totally different driving experience and one I think I'll want to have on a daily basis.

GSAU
Old 26-11-2011, 06:06 PM   #24
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the GS was a manual and the F6 was an auto? pity you did`nt get a go in the V8 auto.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2011, 06:07 PM   #25
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

Welcome to the Dark side

Hers
BFII Ghia
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2011, 06:17 PM   #26
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So you're going to opt for the F6? I think we're about to do the opposite of each other! I've had 6T motors since 2004 (apart from a short stint in a BF G8), so now it's time for me to enjoy a V8 again.

The best thing about the 8 is that you don't need to put the foot flat to hear that exhaust note! I love my modified turbo terry, but to get the enjoyment of it i really need to plant the foot in order to hear the turbo spool and get that shove in the back.

I must say, i'm looking forward to being able to cruise at 40km/h (or any speed) and hear the V8 rumble!

You'll certainly enjoy the F6, especially if you plan to give it a tune and turn the boost up a bit... Then it'll really sound like a fighter jet! Not much better then the mid range surge and shove in the back of the I6T
jimmyxr6t04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2011, 07:22 PM   #27
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Ill admit that I do love the roar of a v8, hence why I went for my current car however noise doesn't always mean it has go, obviously not the case for the Gs.

It felt more like a camry steeping back into my v8 after a test drive of the Gs and f6
Old 27-11-2011, 08:14 AM   #28
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Nice write-up. I wouldn't mind having a go in a GT but what's the point when I can't afford one anyways

Quote:

The seat seemed to be too high and the breakfast pillow headrest made you feel like your head was more interested in your crotch than the road.

GSAU
This is what my wife hates about the car. I'm thinking about getting the headrest stalks bent so the headrest sits back. Otherwise, I'll have to replace the headrests.
Old 27-11-2011, 10:45 AM   #29
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Id love to be in your position GSAU, tough decision you have there though.
Old 27-11-2011, 10:50 AM   #30
gtfpv
GT

when i bought my fgxr6 , i noticed the headrests . now i don't . . i don't think ford would've overlooked this design difference in headrest . i wouldn't mind betting these are safer than previous designs or something to do with euro IV OR V . .
What you end up doing is adjusting the backrest to suit and tilt your head up more , getting back into the ba gt , i feel like i have to throw my head back now and look up at the roof to touch the backrest . so i find i adjust the backrest forward on this in order to bring the headrest forward .
you do get used to it , it must be some current design clause that has brought this about .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post