Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-04-2012, 01:48 AM   #1
Matwilliams91

Default Jobs jobs jobs

After completing a 2 year certificate in motorsports, I find myself looking for a job, the problem being, which one!

Firstly, I can tig arc oxy and mig weld. I'm self taught but have passed in the courses I have done.
I have experience with engines, suspensions setups and brake setups, so mechanic wise I'm pretty good too
(I'm not trying to toot my own horn, just putting it out there)

So they are what I am trained in, and I find myself doing those jobs for a hobby.
But as of lately, I've been thinking of getting into the building trade, electrician or plumber to be specific.
I've always been good at building things, using my hands, and had excellent scores in maths and science at school.

I know I will get answers like "do what you want" but I need some opinions from others.
Do i take what I already am familiar with and get an apprenticeship as a boilermaker or fabricator? What jobs will this have post apprenticeship? I want to own my own business eventually.

Or do I try for something completely new, something that post apprenticeship will require me to only have a work van with tools instead of a factory.

Opinions appreciated.

Matwilliams91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 02:12 AM   #2
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Default Re: Jobs jobs jobs

The certificate in motorsports sounds interesting... Not heard of this before.

If you're good with your hands, dont mind hard work and want to do a trade, I'd suggest heavy duty mechanics or fitting & turning, especially if you like being around machines. Good work prospects in and around the mining industry.

Electrician or Plumbing always good avenues too, especially if you're self motivated and want to work for yourself one day.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Sounds like you've got the right attitude.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If your able to do it, i'd have a look at whats available in the mining industry to see if anything takes your fancy and fits your skill set. As per Pepscobra, heavy duty mechanics would be nice one to aim at.

Earn some serious cash for a few years, don't waste it on expensive cars etc then you will be in a comfortable position to set yourself up in business/roof over your head etc.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
gtfpv
GT

electrical , plumbing , airconditioning , fitting , plant mechanics , diesel mechanics , and building all offer good prospects . boiler making is ok but not as good as the others IMO .
You seem practically orientated , heavy fitting is good , so is industrial electronics , they are the 2 main big areas which cover a wide range of industries . aicon and plumbing are very good along with diesel if you take the right path , as with building and boilermaking .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
RepSpec
Formerly XG-Panelvanman

be a sparky and get onto/into a union site job.

those guys get paid way too much and have too many days off.

dont be a mechanic as the pay is no good.

BA MK2 Wagon, dedicated LPG, white.

modifications:
cargo barriers, tow bar
RepSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #6
Matwilliams91

Quote:
Originally Posted by RepSpec
be a sparky and get onto/into a union site job.

those guys get paid way too much and have too many days off.

dont be a mechanic as the pay is no good.

Yeah I've always liked mechanic work, but lately I've been doing it as a hobby, and have seemed to enjoy it, if it was full time however I think I would enjoy seeing 4.00 every day.

Mining seems to be the way to go, I tried about 6 months ago to get in with no luck, I kind of gave up and focused more long term.

I'm only 20, should have put that in my first post.
I really love long hours, so that's hinting towards mining.

Some decisions to be made!
Old 18-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #7
LS2 KLR

Have you ever thought about becoming a Marine Engineer? An absolutely amazing job, only work 6 months a year. Working on large equipment every day and job satisfaction through the roof. Its not for everyone but an option.

Cheers Evan.
LS2 KLR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #8
Matwilliams91

To be honest I've never heard of a marine engineer, I'm going to look into now.
Old 18-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #9
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS2 KLR
Have you ever thought about becoming a Marine Engineer? An absolutely amazing job, only work 6 months a year. Working on large equipment every day and job satisfaction through the roof. Its not for everyone but an option.

Cheers Evan.
yep that is an excellent option for a single guy and will lead to a successfull career in other areas afterwards .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2012, 02:30 AM   #10
LS2 KLR

Check out this link if you're interested. Only 3 colleges in Australia who train you. http://www.amc.edu.au/seafaring

Click on ocean seafaring courses and then follow links to engineering officer. I would say you'd most likely come under Cadet Engineer.

Cheers Evan.
LS2 KLR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #11
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Adult apprenticeship at a Caterpillar dealer in heavy earthmoving equipment. Then jump in a field service ute to service the mining industry.
Good coin. Hard work. Long hours. What more would a young fella want in a job?

Some dealers are RPL ing these adult apprentices and they have a certificate within two years.
Unfortunately, with that certificate comes no experience and they are hurting themselves as they are let loose into the world as "they are tradesmen now. They should know."
If you go this way or similiar, do not let yourself become a statistic.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #12
Matwilliams91

So, after much thought about the future, i am still looking in all job directions.
Applications sent to aircraft mechanic apprenticeships, electrical apprenticeships and a boiler maker apprenticeship.
My head is still held high, i realise it will take a while to find the right employer for the right (hopefull) employee.

Browsing seek last night, i came across an Apprentice Mechanic in the mines, looking at the details it looks quite good, but maybe too good.
The link is here...
http://www.seek.com.au/Job/mining-ap...n-qld/22149874

is $70,000 too much for a 1st year apprentice?
Offering FlFO straight up, for some reason does seem strange to me.
Also, the thing that got me, is that the company is 'recently' set up in Australia, i'm just a bit cautious before i send off appropriate resume and cv.

I am probably just been too careful, but has anyone heard of this business which represents mining companies?

Thanks for all the replies, they are all helpful!
Old 03-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #13
gozzaxr6t

As an apprentice, don't look at the money. Most construction sites and those type of places pay well and all that kind of stuff. Though once you finish your apprenticeship and step out into the real world where there's know one to hold your hand, you'll see your a crap tradesperson.

I'm a fitter machinist by trade. Didn't enjoy my apprenticeship at all. Got treated like crap, used, overworked and underpaid. Little did I know how much i was actually learning during all this crap. It's only now when I look back how lucky I am that I done all those hard dirty jobs. It's taught me a lot. Now I'm reaping the rewards and would recommend fitting a turning/ maintenance to anyone. Sorry for the essay
gozzaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #14
Benjamin Smith

Im currently looking to start an dual trade apprenticeship in Electrical/ refrigeration mechanic, taking long time to find one! If you have done Cert in motorsport why not have a look at the employment section of speedcafe?
Benjamin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #15
Matwilliams91

Yeah mate I look daily. I've worked in v8 supercars for a while, it's fun, but I need to concerntrate on a stable future. Which v8s is not.