Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-07-2012, 05:52 PM   #1
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 70 Series Landcruiser to die within 5 years

Interesting to note, they may not have developed the dual cab if they knew BHP was going to insist on 5 star ANCAP. Suprised they sell over 700 Landcruiser Utes a month.

Come on Ford, locally assembled F-series or Ranger?

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2012...0-series-31309

Quote:
13/07/2012
Toyota to kill off 70 Series words - Marton Pettendy
Tightening safety and emissions requirements to spell demise of Toyota’s iconic Aussie workhorse

An Australian bush icon will cease to exist within five years when tightening safety and emissions requirements force the discontinuation of Toyota’s long-running 70 Series LandCruiser.

The long-awaited availability of ABS brakes from October and an all-new dual-cab version also due on sale by year’s end will be the final additions to the aged 70 Series range before the popular ute, wagon and Troop Carrier line-up is killed off.

Toyota Australia Product Planning Division Manager Greg Gardner recently confirmed to motoring.com.au there will be no replacement for the 70 Series, which dates back to 1984 in Australia.

“There are no plans to replace the 70 Series,” he said. “Five years down the track it will probably peter out.”

Mr Gardner said the 70 Series range would continue to be sold while demand continued in its biggest markets, including the Middle East and Australia, where the 70 Series remains popular with fleet buyers including mining and agricultural companies.

More than 60 per cent of 70 Series sales go to fleet buyers, who in turn support a significant local aftermarket industry that fits rollover safety equipment to most mining company vehicles to meet OH&S requirements.

Sales of the LandCruiser ute were up almost 40 percent in the first half of this year, with no fewer than 4228 examples sold to June – representing 7.3 per cent of a 4x4 ute segment that is dominated by Toyota’s HiLux (24.1 per cent), followed by the Nissan Navara (21.3 per cent), Mitsubishi Triton (12 per cent), Ford Ranger (8.3 per cent) and Mazda BT-50 (7.5 per cent).

So far in 2012 the LandCruiser ute has outsold popular 4x4 utes including the Isuzu D-Max, Holden Colorado, Volkswagen Amarok, Great Wall V240, Land Rover Defender and Nissan Patrol, while a large proportion of the 5713 LandCruiser wagons to this year were also 70 Series models.

Mr Gardner describes the 70 Series as a “backbone” model that Toyota Australia cannot get enough of. “We sell as many as we can get,” he said.

However, all that will change in 2013 when Australian mining giant BHP Billiton, which is a major Toyota fleet customer, requires all vehicles purchased for its fleet - not just in Australia but globally - to come with a five-star (maximum) NCAP safety rating.

While the 70 Series will finally be available with ABS brakes from October, it will never be fitted with electronic stability control or side curtain airbags, without which it cannot achieve a five-star NCAP rating.

Toyota has confirmed it will upgrade its entire HiLux range to qualify for a five-star ANCAP safety rating next year, when stability control and a full complement of airbags will become standard across the range, rather than on selected premium models.

Toyota says it has advised BHP of the upcoming HiLux upgrade and is working closely with key fleet buyers to ensure the 70 Series continues to meet their requirements. Mr Gardner pointed out that ‘sunset’ clauses within the new BHP safety policy would allow continued sales of the 70 Series to BHP for an unspecified period.

A ‘grandfather’ clause within BHP’s strict new vehicle buying policy will allow its fleet purchasers to continue to buy HiLux models with a four-star safety rating until the upgraded five-star models become available, but it will not apply to the three-star 70 Series.

“The 70 Series is appropriately named because that’s when it was designed – in the 1970s,” said Mr Gardner. “It is what it is. It’s a light truck that deals in a specific market segment and meets the requirements of the buyers within that segment. The 70 Series is a heavy-duty off-road vehicle and people accept it for what it is.

“We’re working closely with the miners regarding the future of the 70 Series. We’re discussing a lot of those safety issues going forward and all HiLux models will be five-star next year. There’s still demand for the 70 Series. (But) It will gradually peter out.”

The same fate is likely to meet Nissan’s existing Patrol, which also dates back decades and also comes with a three-star ANCAP rating. The current Patrol will continue to be available in wagon and ute form beyond the launch of the new Patrol wagon early next year, although Nissan Australia says the model will continue on sale “indefinitely”.

Toyota introduced an upgraded 70 Series in March 2007 with a new 4.5-litre V8 diesel engine, while an updated interior comprising twin front airbags was fitted to all 70 Series models in September 2009. Similarly, Toyota introduced a facelifted HiLux in September last year, when ABS became standard across the range, and stability control and curtain airbags were made standard, but only in four top-shelf variants.

This is despite the introduction of all-new five-star Ranger, BT-50 and Amarok ute models this year, and last month’s launch of the redesigned Colorado ute, which was also awarded a five-star ANCAP crash rating this week.

The HiLux has been Australia’s top-selling ute for 15 years, and is regularly the top-selling vehicle – bar none – in Queensland, Western Australia and the Northern Territory.

Other utes to come into BHP’s firing line will be the Navara and Triton – Australia’s second- and third-best selling utes – which currently both come with a four-star ANCAP rating.

Mr Gardner suggested the all-new 70 Series dual-cab - which will join single-cab/chassis (pictured), five-door wagon and Troop Carrier derivatives on sale soon – would not have been developed if Toyota knew how limited its life span would be.

“The (70 Series) dual-cab was designed before BHP announced its five-star safety requirement (in May),” he said. “We’ll do ABS from August production, but there will be no VSC for any 70 Series.”

One third of compensable work related fatalities involve a vehicle and ANCAP has encouraged other businesses to follow the lead of BHP’s safety policy, which steps ahead of the federal government’s light commercial vehicle policy. From July 1, all LCVs purchased by the Australian government are required to have a four-star safety rating.

Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Default Re: 70 Series Landcruiser to die within 5 years

Most of the existing cruisers will probably be rusted away by the the time their phased out.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #3
RASER
Banned

Shame really, i had a BigT[tm. F/O] HJ47 Ute, and it was THE only vehicle i sold thar i shed a tear for.At the dawn of the end of the world, only these trucks will still be running.

SHOULD be lots of hand rubbing at FoA, this is where the F Series can be ready to pounce,,,,game on!
RASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #4
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No big deal, I can't understand why people buy their (Toyota's) rubbish anways.
Old 13-07-2012, 11:05 PM   #5
winkle

You seriously can't call the 70 series rubbish. My old man has a 7 year old ute with 220,000 kms which has not had a spanner on it, the only thing he has spent on it in that time was for tyres. He sold his previous ute to my nephew - it has over 670,000 kms on it. Sure they are old and basic, but they are bloody tough.
winkle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2012, 11:19 PM   #6
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkle
Sure they are old and basic, but they are bloody tough.
Thats the whole point of the Cruiser.
Its meant to be basic and do the job its asked to do - over and over and over again.
It isnt meant to take the kids to school in toorak and then head on down to get a latte.
Its just a pity they finally bring out the dual cab and it will get killed off.
I can see the dual cabs holding their value when the time comes (more so than a cruiser already does).
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2012, 11:25 PM   #7
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

My mates Dad has a cruiser. Uses it as a hunting vehicle, tows his boat, tows a 14ft trailer loaded with 3 bikes and a quad, uses it to commute to and from work, uses it to commute from bundy to brisbane, takes it 4WD. It has well over 650,000 on it and it is STILL going damn strong.
Old 14-07-2012, 12:13 AM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASER
Shame really, i had a BigT[tm. F/O] HJ47 Ute, and it was THE only vehicle i sold thar i shed a tear for.At the dawn of the end of the world, only these trucks will still be running.

SHOULD be lots of hand rubbing at FoA, this is where the F Series can be ready to pounce,,,,game on!
F series won't be coming any time soon given that they just spent a massive amount of $$$ on Ranger, and F series isn't made in RHD.

I'd love an F series too, I love the 2001-2006 F250s, but they're still fetching $50-$70K for the 7.3L diesel dual cab ones on the second hand market. 5.4 wouldn't be good enough in something that size I reckon. I've driven a 5.4 Fairmont Ghia and its pretty crappy, let alone something which would probably be pushing close to or over 3 tonnes.

New ones are $135K from VDC.

Too expensive.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2012, 12:37 AM   #9
IDT
Marko

So the old spine tingler 70 series is going hey. There are a few people on this forum to whom I say - EAT YOUR WORDS SUCKERS!

I agree they are built fantastically tough, simple and basic. But there is no way that they have ever been worth the price Toyota charge for them.
Old 14-07-2012, 01:56 AM   #10
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAForce8
So the old spine tingler 70 series is going hey. There are a few people on this forum to whom I say - EAT YOUR WORDS SUCKERS!

I agree they are built fantastically tough, simple and basic. But there is no way that they have ever been worth the price Toyota charge for them.
Is anything with a Toyota badge ?
Old 14-07-2012, 02:03 AM   #11
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Glad i held off getting a hilux, shame because i always wanted one, oh well ill wait for the bubble to burst and get something else.
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2012, 11:14 AM   #12
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mining companies can still buy F-Series trucks because they are not driven on the road they are driven in mines and on the country side so if they want them they can certainly get them, as for the demise of the 70 series its a very sad day especially when the only reason they are killed off is because of its safety rating although it surprises me that its only 3 star i'd pay to see what it'd take to kill one!

Cheers
Mr. Niceguy....
Uncle Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #13
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.NiceGuy
mining companies can still buy F-Series trucks because they are not driven on the road they are driven in mines and on the country side so if they want them they can certainly get them, as for the demise of the 70 series its a very sad day especially when the only reason they are killed off is because of its safety rating although it surprises me that its only 3 star i'd pay to see what it'd take to kill one!

Cheers
Mr. Niceguy....

First of all, mines are best not described as countryside! lol

Secondly, and fortunately, the Ancap rating doesn't consider what it takes to kill cars, just people.

I think the only 3 commercial type cars which have a 5star rating are the Ford and Mazda utes and the Territory.

Good news for ol Enry.
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2012, 11:38 AM   #14
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAForce8

I've had one every day since 81' (8) and they have been worth every cent!

Sorry i must have missed it but how many have you owned again.....?

Sad to see them go but ALL good things come to an end.....remember that!

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe

Last edited by DJR-351; 14-07-2012 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Acting as immature as the poster i quoted...
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2012, 11:45 AM   #15
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the death of an icon.......many I have driven.....a few I have owned......loved them all especially when they got me home when it was close to impossible

they will be missed

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #16
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

I'd like a 76 series wagon to do an around Australia trip in

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2012, 12:34 PM   #17
melon466
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is no way Toyota will let the fleets go, maybe they will develop a 200 series ute?? wouldn't be that hard, people have been doing it individually since the 80 series, surely Toyota could do it.

Maybe they will develop a RHD Tundra, there have been rumours of that for a while.

They copped crap for only supplying the 200 series in GXL guise and now have a base spec version, same with the dual cab 70 series.

Everyone says Australia is a blip on the radar for Toyota but they obviously do care what happens down here.

Turbo XD Ute - Project Thread
melon466 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #18
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96
First of all, mines are best not described as countryside! lol

Secondly, and fortunately, the Ancap rating doesn't consider what it takes to kill cars, just people.

I think the only 3 commercial type cars which have a 5star rating are the Ford and Mazda utes and the Territory.

Good news for ol Enry.
Ranger, BT50, Amorak and now Colorado (and I assume D Max) are all 5 star.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #19
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Living in Tamworth, you see quite a few of these...

Farmers love them, poeple love them go out hunting in...see some done up as tradies utes for mines, rail work etc...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #20
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by melon466
Maybe they will develop a RHD Tundra, there have been rumours of that for a while.
Makes sense, I was in my bro-in-laws Tundra 5.7 tonight and I was thinking of this thread and wondered if this could be the replacement of the 70 series in Australia. 5.7 is very good, smooth and quiet, 4.5 twin turbo diesel would make for a fantastic option.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2012, 04:37 PM   #21
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Ford should import the F-150 in CKD kits and fit it with the Lion 3.6 V8 diesel

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 14-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #22
herbicide

I have a 76 series wagon and it's brilliant, will be a sad day when the 70 series is no longer available as there's nothing else out there as suited for tough work. The Patrol utes would be if they had a better motor and put together better. The IFS utes are nice but just can't hack the punishment.
herbicide is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #23
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Is production stopping only because of the miners? That still leaves out around 40% of other potential buyers.... are there other forces stopping the sale of the 70 series??

I did my overland tour of Egypt in a 70 series troopy and it did the job well.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #24
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would be nice to see an Australian company, like FoA would consult mining firms, and develop a locally designed vehicle to fill the void. I read an article saying they're having to import LHD Dodge Rams, as nothing on the market is suitable.
Surely something based off a Falcon ute, with heavier duty diff, diesel engine would take advantage of this boom, before the post-boom bust...
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #25
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXV
Would be nice to see an Australian company, like FoA would consult mining firms, and develop a locally designed vehicle to fill the void. I read an article saying they're having to import LHD Dodge Rams, as nothing on the market is suitable.
Surely something based off a Falcon ute, with heavier duty diff, diesel engine would take advantage of this boom, before the post-boom bust...
No doubt perfect time for a diesel Falcon ute range. Boom is expected to last 70 years.
Old 14-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #26
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Falcon ute isn't anywhere near a replacement for 70 series tojo... I don't think anything is when you start talking serious actual on shift mine vehicles..
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #27
jixel 78

There is a push by FoA with Ranger into the mines, but theyre gettin a bit of a push back because of the Tojo reputation and a rusted on Toyota fleet, something I think Toyota is resting on its past reputation as the new stuff isnt quite as `unbreakable` as it used to be. Theyre doing alot of 4.5 V8 rebuilds for oil consumption,the old D4D(1KZ?) likes head gaskets,if it bombs a turbo in anger bye bye conrods..I did my apprenticeship on 60 series and 75 series cruisers they were the shiz, but the new ones are a little bit soy latte decaf if you ask me. The comment from a mate at Rio was`those Rangers wont last a week up here` I`m not so sure.....Ranger is a seriously sweet ute.
jixel 78 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2012, 06:09 PM   #28
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Yeah a unitary body vehicle won't stand up very well to the sort of abuse minesite work can dish up. Ford are better off using the T6 program vehicles to satisfy the mining niche use or assembling F-150's in CKD form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbicide
I have a 76 series wagon and it's brilliant, will be a sad day when the 70 series is no longer available as there's nothing else out there as suited for tough work. The Patrol utes would be if they had a better motor and put together better. The IFS utes are nice but just can't hack the punishment.
Tell me more...is it the 4 door? How is it on the highway for driving dynamics and comfort? I like these because they are so basic. No gadget-dickery to strand you in the middle of the Simpson desert.

Old 14-07-2012, 06:23 PM   #29
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

If FoA were to reintroduce the 1965 f100 you could make it basic and tough too.

The 70 series Cruiser as with the 80's hi lux ( on which the HILux rep is built) are reliable and able to take abuse because the are underpowered basic units. Live axles front leaf springs. Steel dashboards.

Bring them up to modern standards of performace comfort and saftey and the fall into the same difficulties all other manufacturers do. Offering a car in 2012 without ABS put this in the same class as an ACCO. Which is almost criminal. Do they have airbags? Why is this not an issue with the motoring press?

I know people who own and love them and what they do is amazing but there time has come. Good riddance.

Rant off
Old 14-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #30
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks
If FoA were to reintroduce the 1965 f100 you could make it basic and tough too.

The 70 series Cruiser as with the 80's hi lux ( on which the HILux rep is built) are reliable and able to take abuse because the are underpowered basic units. Live axles front leaf springs. Steel dashboards.

Bring them up to modern standards of performace comfort and saftey and the fall into the same difficulties all other manufacturers do. Offering a car in 2012 without ABS put this in the same class as an ACCO. Which is almost criminal. Do they have airbags? Why is this not an issue with the motoring press?

I know people who own and love them and what they do is amazing but there time has come. Good riddance.

Rant off

I think the new generation of F-series, Silverado, Rams are the perfect step between the heavy duty 79 series type Landcruisers and the prissy Thai made Hiluxes,Rangers etc.

At least the American pickups are built for work, with payloads and towing ability to rival some Hino trucks. The bonus is they have the comfort and room that the Landcruiser ute could only dream of.