Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default car damaged by dealer - how to go about getting fixed

to start with, this is not a ford dealer at all, and not dealer bashing, just after advice and how to get my car sorted..

bit of a long story, i'll try to shorten it as much as a can and still make sense.

on the 10th of august i had my wife's car serviced at the local dealer. car was fine before it went in, had only washed it a few days earlier and there was no damage.

18th of august i noticed the plastic tray under the motor looked a bit 'not right' so i had a quick look under and noticed the plastic was broken on the front edge and 3 of the scrivets were missing. at this stage i thought an overzealous mechanic might have forced the plastic off and broken it in the process of servicing.

called the dealer on the 20th and spoke to service desk man, he said he would check the paper work to see if it was noted at all.

21st i called back, service man said he had checked the computer and there was no mention of damage.

23rd i took the car in, they threw it on the hoist and replaced the screws, said it looked like the car had hit something and they hadn't done it. was all good with that, only a bit of plastic, i hadn't broken it but couldn't prove they did.

27th i washed the car again and had a closer look at the front. the plastic is broken, noticed something else not quite right so i pulled the plastic tray off. the air con condensor is bent, the radiator is bent, the plastic is scratched (scratch stops at radiator).

looks a lot like it has been run up onto something like a gutter/low wall and reversed off. i know i didn't do it, no way my wife did it without noticing and seen as we are paying $40k for the car we are careful with it.. the reason you would notice is the car is an suv type thing, the air con is 400mm off the ground, the radiator is 330mm off the ground. the rest of the under carriage is lower than the radiator and has no marks on it - suggesting a beaching and reverse off object.

i called the dealer today looking for the service manager, he wasn't in so i spoke to the service desk man. still says it wasn't them, and they aren't in the business of damaging customer cars. and that their holding yard is flat dirt, and they have a set circuit for road testing vehicles. i didn't think quick enough to tell him that seen as i'm paying $40k for the car i'm not going to damage it either.. and that if a mechanic did it they probably wouldn't come forward or would hope it didn't get noticed.

so where to from here? i still want to speak to the manager to try and get some help, and also to get the car into them for them to look at. but i can't prove it was them, and it did take a week for me to see the damage on the car before calling them - i did check all the panels for damage, didn't realise i should look under the car before taking it back (but i shouldn't have to either).

so peeved with them, the plastic is worth $230, so i'm guessing the condensor and radiator are pricey..

cheers
-tim

Old 29-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #2
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Default Re: car damaged by dealer - how to go about getting fixed

Im tipping due to the time period you dont have a snow balls chance in hell.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2012, 10:28 PM   #3
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Unfortunately I don't think you can prove that the dealer did it, especially since it was 8 days after the service when you noticed the damage. Damage to the front underneath can easily happen in carparks where they have concrete blocks etc. sometimes with studs sticking out, which you can easily scrape over without noticing when parking, then reverse back when leaving. This seems consistent with your description of the damage.
Therefore I think you just have to wear the damage, and repair as necessary.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2012, 10:28 PM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Been in your situation a few times. Unless you saw them doing it, it never happened.

Sorry.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2012, 10:41 PM   #5
vfavictory

Sneaky, if you have no luck with the manager, go straight to the head office and speak to the state or national service manager and complain your heart out. Tell the local manager what your about to do if he doesn't come to the party and keep diary entries from the time you first noticed the damage and the conversations you have had with staff members.
If you really believe they are at fault, don't give up. Also a week to realizing it was damaged is should not be an issue.

Wanted to live to see the kids grow up, so, sold the bike....
vfavictory is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2012, 11:27 PM   #6
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Put the 30cents you will waste on a phone call towards rectification of your car. They will deny it more than your neighbour will when their dog takes a dump in your front yard!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #7
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
Damage to the front underneath can easily happen in carparks where they have concrete blocks etc. sometimes with studs sticking out, which you can easily scrape over without noticing when parking, then reverse back when leaving. This seems consistent with your description of the damage.
yep it can easily happen, but at 300-400mm ground clearance i don't think that it is the concrete stopping block in a shopping centre. and my other car is a ve ss commodore which has 150mm clearance to the front bar and gets taken to all the same shops with no problems.

i'll keep complaining up the chain, and if i eventually get no where i'll complain some more. just because i didn't see them do it doesn't mean they didn't. and the next time i have the car there i will make a point of going over every panel and under the car with the service manager when i drop it off and pick it up - hopefully infront of a waiting room full of people so i can tell them why
Old 29-08-2012, 11:49 PM   #8
BHDOGS
Banned

Simple key his car and stand and wait when he comes and notices explain you didn't see anything are not in the buisness of keying cars and will certainly look into the matter and get back to him on second thought don't haha
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2012, 12:29 AM   #9
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

is it possible the mechanic /apprentice had it on a jack and it has slipped off? regardless of what service guys say , on occasion this sort of stuff happens in every workshop, the service guys usually don`t know about it, a lot of the guys in workshop won`t wan`t to admit it,
i`ve done it myself, i had my own car not fully jacked up but had the weight taken off the vehicle so i could get the big jack under, it slid off and came very close to my radiator , it was very hard to see the x beam because of the over hang so the jack was`nt sitting properly.
perhaps you could look at what actions where involved in the service, see if they needed to jack it up.
most work shops have hoists or pits or both, sometimes in a busy work shop they are in short supply and mechanic x will have to slum it and do it the old fashioned way with a jack and stands, well worth investigation imo.

i would try to see the manager and have a heart to heart with him if you know what i mean, , the manager is the go to guy.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2012, 06:30 AM   #10
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The workshop had 6-8 hoists in it so I don't think they would have jacked it up. Was in for 15k service with tyre rotation.

Where I work there isn't much punishment for breaking something, just tell the boss, fill out paperwork and get it fixed. I'm guessing not many other places would be like that.
Old 30-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #11
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I called again this morning, Service manager is not in until Monday. So that will add another week to their 'took too long to tell us, not our problem' fob off. Not happy
Old 30-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #12
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky
yep it can easily happen, but at 300-400mm ground clearance i don't think that it is the concrete stopping block in a shopping centre. and my other car is a ve ss commodore which has 150mm clearance to the front bar and gets taken to all the same shops with no problems.

i'll keep complaining up the chain, and if i eventually get no where i'll complain some more. just because i didn't see them do it doesn't mean they didn't. and the next time i have the car there i will make a point of going over every panel and under the car with the service manager when i drop it off and pick it up - hopefully infront of a waiting room full of people so i can tell them why
I have no doubt that you may be right. If you are careful with your car and who drives it, then any damage found after a service would most probably be the fault of the service centre.

However.... you have no proof they did it. That is the issue. In the end, it is your word against a whole workshop of workers who will obviously back each other up.

My car was damaged on 3 occasions while in the hands of a service centre. For me, there was no doubt the damage was done by them. Only problem is, I didb't get my friendly JP, Preist, QC and Police detective to all sign a condition report of my car prior to going in, so any damage upon exiting the service department MUST have been there prior.

They will deny as strongly as you will insist. And the numbers are stacked against you.

On the 3rd occasion, I DID observe damage being done. Of course... there were lots of apologies after and 'we have never did that before, we are experts' etc etc etc. Hell, even their 'repair' was sub standard, and I had to get it all fixed again at my own cost....

If you are a big customer that sends a lot of money their way you may get it repaired to keep your business.

Let us know how you go. If you honestly think the damage was workshop caused without doubt, then by all means name and shame.....

One thing you can do..... take a VERY close look at the damage. Is it void of dust / shiny / clean looking? That will imply it was recent. If it is as grubby as its surroundings then its been there for a while.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #13
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

I make an effort to photograph my car when I leave it somewhere.
I have an iPhone - it takes all of about 30 seconds.

Sometimes I get asked the question "What are you doing?" and I basically answer with "Just taking photos of how it was delivered to you, so if there is any misunderstanding - we can discuss it over a coffee"

Been caught before too - cost me $500 to get a big scratch and dent taken out of the side of a car that was done by an auto trimmer. The old he-said-she-said dance. If nobody puts their hand up - you get to wear it.

It's the same reason why people are putting dash-mount cameras in their cars - cheap insurance really.
Old 30-08-2012, 01:33 PM   #14
LTDHO
The one and only

sneaky you are wasting your time.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2012, 01:42 PM   #15
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
It's the same reason why people are putting dash-mount cameras in their cars - cheap insurance really.
Hmm .. interesting. Might be time to dummy up something to look like it's an incar recorder with a sticker attached:
"Warning: You are currently under video surveillance. This car is protected with the MagnaVolt security system - live video feed is continually uploaded to Internet cloud storage."
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2012, 01:51 PM   #16
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

since your pointing the finger blindly, ill do the same and say your Mrs did it.
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #17
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
Hmm .. interesting. Might be time to dummy up something to look like it's an incar recorder with a sticker attached:
"Warning: You are currently under video surveillance. This car is protected with the MagnaVolt security system - live video feed is continually uploaded to Internet cloud storage."
paranoid and delusional
Old 30-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #18
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

should of kept the au, I can flat at tell you that no one at a dealership would risk loosing their job to cover up a accident to a customers car.
Old 30-08-2012, 03:05 PM   #19
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts
should of kept the au, I can flat at tell you that no one at a dealership would risk loosing their job to cover up a accident to a customers car.
That's not true. A dealer worker broke my ipod cable and they didn't tell me. Went back there the next day and the Service manager replaced it and apologisied for the inconvenience. So in essence the worker knew but didn't say anything hoping we didn't come back.
Old 30-08-2012, 06:39 PM   #20
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Looking it at it from the opposite side of the fence to the OP....It wasn't noticed for 8 days, so in those 8 days, you, as the mechanic, would assume the owners has stuffed the car and wants to blame the workshop for doing it..

I'm not insinuating you're trying to rip the workshop off, or you're dishonest in any way shape or form, but if you look at it from the opposite side of the fence, you should understand where I'm coming from...People are always trying this sort of thing on reguarly.

Best advise....You'll have to cop it on the chin and in future, whenever work is done, make sure you check the car BEFORE it leaves the premises.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #21
Tysonv48
Fairlane Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts
Disagree Ford destroyed my cluster surround, stacker, cup holder and dash switches. Only noticed when the cup holder wouldn't close and am continuing to find new issues with parts. For a $700 job ford took no care with my car but had to replace the parts.

They hoped I would just drive away, they couldn't care less about your car.
Tysonv48 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2012, 10:10 PM   #22
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

I had my car serviced and worked on by a dealership a couple of months ago. It was returned to me with damaged ZF shifter, steering wheel, instrument panel, handbrake cover and a busted steering column. Whilst it wasn't in an accident, whoever did the work on the interior did not say anything about all the damage that was done and it took me to storm back in there to work out what on earth happened. Parts were replaced, dealership took full responsibility. When talking to the service manager, he said that people come in all the time claiming that their car was damaged a month prior etc and that it was lucky I caught the issues early. I'm afraid 8 days is probably a little too long.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2012, 01:57 AM   #23
SPArKy_Dave
Too many Fords........ :)

It's not just Ford.

My Aunty has a 1999 Toyota Celica, been dealer serviced by the selling dealer since she bought it new.

Last service, a coolant flush was done, and the o-ring seal on the drain plug was not replaced, and hence leaked all the genuine (red coloured) toyota coolant out, on her journey home.

The car has only done 125,000km.

Less than 1,000km from the incident, my old man (her brother) was checking over the car, and noticed that the top tank is weeping coolant from stress fractures in the plastic.

When the incident occured, Toyota sent a Mechanic around to her house to fit a new o-ring, and re-fill the coolant. They advised to check regularly for any signs of head gasket failure or further coolant leaks.

When we called Toyota on their bluff, (upon noticing the further leak) you wouldn't believe how much the service manager ducked and weaved.

Apparently, (despite their and our mechanics advice) their was no possible way that the coolant loss, and subsequent steam pocket buildup, could have caused or contributed to the further leak.

All we asked for, was a replacement genuine Toyota / Denso top tank and seal, and we would get it independently fitted at our cost.

The best they would offer, was an aftermarket radiator fitted by them, at a cost of $200.00 to us. (cost price they said).

So much for 13 years of customer loyalty.

The manager even tried to suggest, that the tanks were not available as a spare part.
Luckily I did some homework and checked with another dealer first.

The manager didn't like it when I started quoting part numbers to him.

Still deciding whether to take it up with Toyota head office.

97 EL V8 wagon - cool cruiser, or street bruiser? CLICKY
93 XG panel van - at your door in 60 secs, or the first hr is FREE........ yep, that's the goal.
95 XG ute - awaiting a head gasket...... grrrrr.

74 XB GS pano..... factory optioned with all the good stuff..... not much there now. ........long term resto.
XB Coupe and Van TV Ad
you know........ there's a little bit of Bathurst in every Ford Falcon.... think about it

Last edited by SPArKy_Dave; 31-08-2012 at 02:09 AM.
SPArKy_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2012, 02:12 AM   #24
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Them or your wife, might have a chance of getting it out of your wife if she did it but wont have any chance of getting it out of them (unless you noticed it when you were picking the car up, even then it would be a 50/50 if they really really denied it). Only way you will get even is by not giving them anymore business or doing something like in post 8...lol
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2012, 02:14 AM   #25
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

I have no idea why the workers at these dealers don't respect the cars they work on. My brothers FG had the plastic from the top of his gear knob broken off by a ford dealer in townsville and they wouldn't replace it. Lucky a dealer in Brisbane replaced it as a warranty job.
Old 31-08-2012, 08:26 AM   #26
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordACE
I have no idea why the workers at these dealers don't respect the cars they work on.
Why would they? It's just a job!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #27
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Lets not assume that all automotive tradies don't care, and damage cars blatantly.

At work, if something happens (lets face it, accidents happen), we do something about it. That includes repairing panels, buy new parts etc...all at a cost to us.

Not all dealerships at like this also, as we get work from a few in town from workplace accidents, anything from transit damage to cars bumping into each other etc...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2012, 08:49 AM   #28
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

My experience with dealers is that they just don't care about anything other than the money they can extract from you. I'm in a service industry and I know I make my money from the 10th time I deal with a customer, not the first time.

All you can do is create a file of records about when damage was not noticed (washing prior to service) and when you noticed it (after service). Record all phone calls. From a legal viewpoint it doesn't look like you an meet the standard of proving beyond reasonable doubt, all you use as leverage is to say to the dealership that their ability to get future business from you depends on how they treat you now. You are a customer and you can go anywhere to get the service they provide.

I had a realtively new car and had it serviced at one of the dealerships for that model here in Geelong. They crashed it (very minor and they owned up) but they lied about the damaged caused. I gave them a hard time, spent some of their money to repair the bumper and then went to the other dealer for the next service. When the second dealer serviced it, I collected the car with oil all over the leather driver's seat and door card.

That was the last time I dealt with a dealer for servicing.
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2012, 10:04 AM   #29
ChRiDDa

I've been the victim of this too...
People not giving two sh#ts about the car they're working on - Recently had my car repainted as part of the shockwave program - Whoever was working on removing my door trims has broken not 1, not 2, but 3 of the handles attached to the trim - Not just minor cracks in the handle that I can live with - Broken the handle clean off the trim!

They attempted to patch it over by screwing the handles back on and putting copious amounts of sillastic on, hoping I wouldn't notice

Got onto them very quick, they've admitted fault, however I've been offered a repair (said that's not good enough) -Trims were in immaculate condition, with not a mark on them and what I've been offered is a 'cut and paste' of handles from another trim.

That offer has now been upgraded to a set of 2nd hand trims (said I'll accept nothing less than identical) and in equal condition to what mine were - Two week time limit has been given, otherwise they're going to arrange for new trims at a cost of a smidge over 2.8k! OUCH!
ChRiDDa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #30
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Another dealer bashing thread...Yippee...

Wonder how many will get a warning for going off topic?????

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post