Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-09-2012, 09:17 AM   #1
No.6

Default Any advice for car servicing?

Gday all!

I'm not a mechanical guru when it comes to cars...im more of a visual artist and a driver lol. So i need a little advice from you guys...

I had a brain tumour removed about 6 months ago and because of that i havent been allowed to drive so my FG XR6T has been sitting in the garage gathering dust. She has been drivin every now and again, one trip to tamworth, one trip to hunter valley, occasionally around sydney but all up in the last 6 months she probably has been drivin less than 12 times and I have been starting her up once a week and running the aircon for 5 mins as advised in the book. I figured it might be a good idea to get the car serviced as i will be getting clearance to drive again soon so i was wondering is there anything that will definitely need to get checked? I dont want to take it to the mechanics and tell them the same story and having them tell me 'OH you will need a full comprehensive checkup, brakes replaced, fuel pump etc etc.' in an attempt to rip me off due to my mechanical knowledge.

Is it even necessary to get my car serviced?

Thanks in advance!

No.6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2012, 10:45 AM   #2
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 
Default Re: Any advice for car servicing?

When was it last serviced?
Old 20-09-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
ChRiDDa

Firstly, hope you're on the mend!

In regards to the car, good idea to get it serviced, esp given the fact it's been sitting there idle for quite some time

It's not the amount of k's the oil does that ruins it, it's age. Brake fluid might also be an idea to be changed as well

Ring up a few places and get some prices - Oil change with quality oil and filter and a brake fluid flush. Tyre pressure check would also be a good idea, but will generally be done in a service

Other than that, (unless someone wants to correct me) I don't think much else is required - Being a newish vehicle, shouldn't have too many issues
ChRiDDa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #4
No.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
When was it last serviced?
It was last serviced about 11 months ago @ the 45,000km mark. She now has 52,000km on her.

During this service the oil filter, filter air cleaner were replaced as well as the oil. Nothing about brake fluids besides all fluids topped up.

However, i will call a few places and see what they can do for me.

Thanks!
Old 20-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it's coming up to 12 months so oil will have to be changed, I do the filter at the same time

check other fluids at the same time, may not be necessary to change

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Seeing its been driven fairly regularly in the meantime, the service book specified service at 12 months as poppa mentioned would be sufficient.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #7
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

7K you usually change oil and filter at 10K anyway, so I'd be getting that done because of being started a few times and left to idle. But everything else should be just checked for levels, shoudn't need changing or flushing.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #8
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like all you need is an oil change. You confident you know what to do? Would be good to check brake fluid, power steering, coolant and even give the brake pads a check. From the age of the car, the brake pads probably wouldn't be worn, but they're the things you check each time you service.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2012, 01:16 PM   #9
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

^^^^ As above No.6. You wouldn't have much mechanical wear on your ride with that amount of mileage. Fluid changes would be commonsense as they deteriorate over time. If it has an auto trans the fluid will still be good to go for a while yet. If the car shifts OK, then just follow your regular service intervals. The only item I can suggest is to have your cooling system flushed and a inhibitor change - subject to a test though. No sense in spending money needlessly.

Really hope you have recovered from your scare mate, and that all is good for you.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2012, 04:54 PM   #10
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

If you want to do it by the log book just follow whatever a minor service entails.

Keep records of your servicing as well. If you have a log book that is not up to date due to the irregularity of your servicing you may get hit for extra stuff you don't need 'just in case'.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #11
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

It will need to be a normal log book service, not a minor service, as the normal service interval is a calendar time of 12 months or 15,000km, whichever comes first. And it was last done 11 months ago.

If its been two years since the brake/ clutch (if applic.) fluid was last replaced or delivery, this will need doing, and if three years since delivery, the coolant will need flushing and replacement.

We all know that the 15,000km between oil changes is way too much especially for turbos, it was last done 7,000km ago so it will fall in nicely if its done again in the next week or so.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2012, 05:42 PM   #12
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
It will need to be a normal log book service, not a minor service, as the normal service interval is a calendar time of 12 months or 15,000km, whichever comes first. And it was last done 11 months ago.

If its been two years since the brake/ clutch (if applic.) fluid was last replaced or delivery, this will need doing, and if three years since delivery, the coolant will need flushing and replacement.

We all know that the 15,000km between oil changes is way too much especially for turbos, it was last done 7,000km ago so it will fall in nicely if its done again in the next week or so.
Does the FG use the same letters as a Focus in the service booklet? "A" Normal (and minor IMO as it is just a grease and oil change plus inspections and fluid top ups) and "B" major service.

In the Focus the A's are every 15k and the B's every 60k. I do an interim lube service as well at 7.5K as my oil is pitch black a week after a service - but thats a diesel for you I guess!

The rest is done as the schedule / car history demands like you say.

Funny how the Falcon needs coolant every 3 years (if that is actually correct as I'm going by what you said) yet the Focus only gets new coolant every 10 years!

Brake fluid is the same though - every 2 years.

Old 20-09-2012, 05:59 PM   #13
No.6

Ive booked her in for a service over at kmart which is across the road. They will do a minor service according to the log book and ill ask em to do the things you guys have suggested as well. Money isnt too much of an issue because shes my baby and im willing to spend whatever to keep her in good nick, i just dont want the mechanics running up a 1k bill on me like has happened in the past with my previous ba xr6 n/a.

Having looked at my log book, it looks like peter warren has forgotten to stamp the book for the 45k service...lucky i keep all the service receipts in a folder for my car lol.

I've checked the 38000km (done in 2011) service receipt and it says the brake fluid has been replaced, bled brake system...so will it still need to be done?

It looks like the coolant will need to be done as it has been just over 3 years since delivery date.

once again, thanks for the replies guys its a big help for us that have no idea about cars
Old 20-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #14
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Brake fluid sounds fine. Depending on when in 2011, it may need to be done again in the following service after this one.

Old 20-09-2012, 06:27 PM   #15
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by No.6
Ive booked her in for a service over at kmart which is across the road. They will do a minor service according to the log book and ill ask em to do the things you guys have suggested as well. Money isnt too much of an issue because shes my baby and im willing to spend whatever to keep her in good nick, i just dont want the mechanics running up a 1k bill on me like has happened in the past with my previous ba xr6 n/a.

Having looked at my log book, it looks like peter warren has forgotten to stamp the book for the 45k service...lucky i keep all the service receipts in a folder for my car lol.

I've checked the 38000km (done in 2011) service receipt and it says the brake fluid has been replaced, bled brake system...so will it still need to be done?

It looks like the coolant will need to be done as it has been just over 3 years since delivery date.

once again, thanks for the replies guys its a big help for us that have no idea about cars

dont tell them what you have told us or they will blindside you with a load of rubbish

it will need a simple standard, run of the mill service.......whatever that entails......they may wish to stack on a load of extra's

dont ever go into a mechanics workshop with the notion of "she's my baby, give her whatever she need's"

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #16
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf
dont ever go into a mechanics workshop with the notion of "she's my baby, give her whatever she need's"
This = 'Open cheque book' to many mechanics.....

Which is why I said to keep on top of what has and hasn't been done. I kept all servicing info in a word document for the Festiva.. only did that after finding a bunch of receipts and finding that some stuff that should have lasted 50k / 3 years was getting done well before needed.