Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #1
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default What do you think of this ???

So for 20 years ive known this , well so called mate
He has over the years helped me in my business venture, stayed at my house for weeks at a time,helped out here and there,for that i kindly donated many many items to his disabled brother to help his life more enjoyable,supplied anything ol mate needed, the grog tab , heaps lets say
This so called friend was working for me full time not 2 years ago, he has just ventured into a retail business selling things along the lines i make
He refuses to buy of my as i wont sell at cost price and deliver for free , he is 1 hour away

Ive just found out he is goin to my customers and baggin me out

Now ive a few things running around the ol brain
Do i confront him, with a possible police presence, someone getting a serious sore head and someone getting arressted
(Missus doesnt like that idea)
Do i , whats called, cut his legs of, its a term used meaning to undercut him severly and push him outta business
I manufacture , ol mate buys from everyone but us, so my bottom line is alot less than his purchase price
I know business is tuff out there at the moment, but as hard as it is, you dont ethically stab ya mates in the back

What would you do ???

Edit :
The 20 year friendship/mateship is over, its a matter of principal now

302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: What do you think of this ???

business is business......friendship doesn't come into it

put it this way.....what sort of mate was he before and what did you overlook in the relationship in the past....sounds like he wasn't the mate you thought him to be

one other thing, whatever you gave to his disabled brother has nothing to do with you and him.....stay with the brother and support him where you can....he needs you

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #3
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

screw him big time he is now nothing to you
Old 09-10-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With friends like that who needs enemys. you could "destroy him" as you say but that would make him no better than him. I would send a letter to all your customers saying you had become aware that someone was spreading negative stories about you ( without naming names) and invite them to discuss any concerns they have with you.
this would paint you in a better light with your customers without you being seen as vindictive. they would see him for what he is and you win without bringing yourself down to his level

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #5
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quite possible he is jealous of you? your business etc??

I would cut my losses (end friendship) and be done with it. Eventually you get an oppourtunity to repay him in kind.

Took me 5yrs or so to get back at a former boss (who everyone in the local aviation industry hated)....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #6
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Protect your business firstly.

Put him on your 'list' and deal with him accordingly.

I like the suggestion of informing your customers of what you have discovered
ford71V8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2012, 02:47 PM   #7
Chopped
as in chopped

"Ive just found out he is goin to my customers and baggin me out"

^ He doesn't sound like a mate to me.

I'd now view him as just another one of your competitors and deal with him accordingly.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:17 PM   #8
BlueBear
Shockwave

Well your obviously pretty mad right now, and have every right to be it seems.
However, you need to stop and catch your breath for a while, making decisions when your angry is not wise.

I would suggest you don't do either of the options you have considered, taking police is just a joke and he will just laugh at you, and will know that he is getting to you - don't give him the satisfaction...

Don't start a price war, the only winners then are the customers.

So consider, what effect has he really had on your business, are you losing customers?
If so then you need to take steps, if not, just keep churning out you products with the best quality and service you can. Also, do some follow up calls to your customers and see if they are happy.

If you need to take steps, whatever you do, don't react with more mud slinging, remember, the one throwing the mud ends up the dirtiest.
My advice, if you need to do anything is to start a new policy, send a flyer around (fax/email) stating that with the economy the way it is, even though you offer the best quality and service, for a limited time you will match (or beat?) any competitors price.
This way, you are not seen as reacting to a new competitor, but rather just being the good guy.

Also, keep in mind, there are 3 things you can offer your customer Price, Service, Quality, but you cant do all three at once, you can however do 2 very well. If you choose to do price, likely quality wont be there, so do what your already doing, Service and Quality wins in the long run.

Once you've made up your mind on your course of action, just do it and put it to bed. Make a concious effort to not keep thinking about this bloke, otherwise it will just make you hard to live with and hard to work for.
Take the high road every time.

Cheers,
BlueBear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #9
zilo
BANNED

Just remember that intelligent people generally view those that "bag" others as being lesser people for doing it.

Basically anyone constantly putting people down is trying to elevate themselves at others expense.

Don't fall into that trap...

keep your dignity by simply saying,

"dunno what makes him say that, we are friends"
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #10
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

+1 for all the previous posters advice, I can't add any other suggestions for a course of action.

302XC - you run a business. I'll assume you have a passion for what you do, and have built it up and kept it running by providing to the needs of your customers - otherwise you probably would have failed!

Treat this ex friend as another challenge to the success of your business. No doubt that you would have faced many obstacles in what you do and have overcome them. Please don't let what that *** has done to you cloud your thoughts with anger and retribution. Think like a businessman, not a burned friend.

Your ex mate is going about things the wrong way to gain success. Bagging a rival may give him gains in the short run - but not in the long term. Customers are not stupid, they'll go where they get the best service and value for money. If your ex friend has rewarded you in this way for your efforts in being a friend - how the f do you think his (your) customers are going to be treated in the long run?

I also believe in kharma. What goes around comes around sooner or later. Generally you get what you give. There's been times I've contemplated "getting square", and haven't had to lift a finger. Those that live by the sword, die by the sword.

If you can hold your head high when you look in the mirror mate - you'll like what you see - I can't say the same for your friend though!

Cheers! I wish you well.

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #11
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ignore him.

While you are worrying about him you are not running your own show.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #12
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Make it it hurt for him.

Suggest a partnership if he invests?.

If he declines , crush him.
Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #13
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Ignore him.

While you are worrying about him you are not running your own show.
so much this..

/end thread
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #14
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint
Make it hurt for him.

Suggest a partnership if he invests?.

If he declines , crush him.

Pain...yeah more pain even if he accepts a partnership,

then crush him anyway?
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #15
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My suggestion is have an end of year sale for 4 months , get your prices lower than his and offer better service. This way it is not looked upon you trying to cut him out, but you doing something good for your clients. Contact the customers with a sale’s catalogue , maybe put something on there if there any concerns over the product please contact you directly.

If it was me I would crush him, make sure his businesses is killed off.

Potentially he is taking your customers away and you are losing money on this. If this business is your main source of income I would be protecting it any way needed.

Just remember nice and honest people always finish last.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2012, 08:00 PM   #16
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some good thoughts fellas
Knocked of early today ,spent a bitta time sharpening the knife, as croc dundee once said ,
"That aint a knife, this is a knife"
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #17
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
My suggestion is have an end of year sale for 4 months , get your prices lower than his and offer better service. This way it is not looked upon you trying to cut him out, but you doing something good for your clients. Contact the customers with a sale’s catalogue , maybe put something on there if there any concerns over the product please contact you directly.

If it was me I would crush him, make sure his businesses is killed off.

Potentially he is taking your customers away and you are losing money on this. If this business is your main source of income I would be protecting it any way needed.

Just remember nice and honest people always finish last.
I agree with your quote xisled. I'm "nice and honest" until I'm treated otherwise - from that point on I can and am a total bastard to deal with!

I like what you're thinking though!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #18
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

If your doing a great job in your business and someone out there is trying to "cut your grass" and bag you, just ignore him. Your customers will see thru him if they are good and loyal customers. First thing I was taught when entering business was "Under no circumstance, ever bag your opposition, be they good or bad" . It only brings you down to there level..........
Old 09-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #19
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Money talks. If the product you and him are selling is the same and the only difference is price especially if selling to businesses where the bottom line is the dollar, you need to fight fire with fire.

I do not agree with what others have said do nothing, be the bigger man etc, will send you broke. If you want to get in front you need to stick it up the others. Do it while you have are still in the mindset.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2012, 09:20 PM   #20
BAXR8_Ute

Industrial espionage... Or just gearbox him...
Old 09-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #21
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
they would see him for what he is and you win without bringing yourself down to his level
customers arent interested in soap operas. they'll buy from whoever gives the best service/value.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post