Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 05-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #1
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Default 2002 CL erratic speedometer

Hi guys

My wife's 2002 LR Focus CL 1.8L has been suffering from an erratic speedometer issue for about 6 months now. It started sporadically dropping to zero and would only start working again once the engine was turned off and switched back on again.

It had been occurring more and more frequently until the last week or so when it stuck at 60km and hasn't returned to its normal state regardless of turning the engine off and on again. There are no other uccompanying symptoms like running rough, stalling etc. Just speedo not working and that's it.

I have a few ideas on where to start looking, but I don't see the point in reinventing the wheel if someone else has already discovered and uncovered these exact symptoms. I'll start with checking the battery voltage and charging rate, as well as checking the wires for the VSS around the gearbox.

Providing they're all fine, I'm guessing the VSS may have an issue itself. But I'd rather not go replacing it willy-nilly. If all things lead to the VSS being the issue, or if this problem is very common with VSS being the culprit almost every time, then I replace it.

Any help/feedback with this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2013, 11:00 PM   #2
7fords
Starter Motor

Default Re: 2002 CL erratic speedometer

I've got exactly the same problem with mine.
I have a couple of noted results when the speedo drops to 0.
1. The radio volume drops (radio volume -speed sensing)
2. Next time I slow to a stop, after the speedo drops to 0, the engine sometimes stalls.
The speedo usually recovers after a minute of so, sometimes stays at 0 until switching the engine off.
A couple of times I have had the odometer and trip meter blank or go to all ----.
I also am leaning to a VSS fault but the frustrating thing is the defect is so intermittent.
7fords is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #3
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Instrument cluster issues in the LR are widely reported, but the VSS can also fail. More details in these threads:
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11217657
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11247640
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=3212030

Last edited by DZFord; 08-10-2013 at 06:38 PM.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-10-2013, 01:52 AM   #4
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Thanks DZFord. From reading those threads, cross-referencing the symptoms I've experienced with the relevant rectifications, it would appear more than likely to be either a battery or a VSS. Since it's only the speedo which is causing trouble, I doubt very much that it's a problem with the cluster itself as everyone who seemingly had cluster issues were experiencing all of the gauges playing funny buggers.

I'll have a look at it this weekend. I'll check the battery charge rate with my multimeter and replace if required, and if that doesn't fix it I'll have a look at the wiring for the VSS. Should the wiring be fine, I'll bite the bullet and get a new VSS and fit it. If that doesn't fix it... well at least I'll be able to valuably contribute to this thread until I find a fix! Hopefully it doesn't come to that though...
Old 10-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
7fords
Starter Motor

Please keep us updated on how you go Cobra.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:53 PM   #6
Imolator
Quad Cam

Have a look at this thread, it could be the speed sensor. Same symtoms as yours.

http://www.fordaustraliaforums.com/f...intermittantly
Imolator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #7
7fords
Starter Motor

Hey Imolator.

Thanks for that. Sounds like the speed sensor it is!.
Old 14-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #8
Imolator
Quad Cam

No worries, hopefully it solves your problem. Let us know how you get on.
Imolator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2013, 10:47 PM   #9
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

I checked the battery voltage at rest and charging and they were both fine. I got underneath and checked the wiring and it all seemed fine. The symptoms have gone for now, so the wife's off my back. But if they come back and stay, I think I'll just bite the bullet and buy the sensor.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:59 PM   #10
7fords
Starter Motor

Very late reply, but put up with this for ages. Finally replaced the Speed Sensor and problem solved. Brought one off eBay (UK) for about $50 (a third of the price ford wanted here). Really easy job with the front of the car on ramps. Hardest part was getting the wiring connector off. The retaining pin came out easily( I have seen you tube videos where this is a problem). Job done in about 1 hour.