Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-01-2014, 08:47 PM   #1
pundit
Gazza!

Default Things to do in Tasmania?

Calling out to the tassie residents here or people who know tassie..

Tourist things to do on 4 day holidays in tassie in around November this year.

Looking at taking my Mum over for her b'day, somewhere shes always wanted to go, and wants to go on a cruise ship so i will be throwing the fairlane on the ferry and want to do something special/have a great time. Not exactly a cruise ship but close enough to keep her happy She has made mention that she would like to go and look around Port Arthur where Martin Bryant done his thing.

Also what is the climate like in Tassie around mid novemeber? cool, hot, dry, wet?

11.79 @ 122mph

RIP 2006 - 2017
pundit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2014, 08:50 PM   #2
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

Default Re: Things to do in Tasmania?

Ya mum???

When in Rome?

Last edited by my_gxl; 16-01-2014 at 08:51 PM. Reason: It is only intended for comical purposes, not to offend.
my_gxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2014, 08:54 PM   #3
pundit
Gazza!

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_gxl View Post
Ya mum???

When in Rome?
Edit: Now I'm with ya!
11.79 @ 122mph

RIP 2006 - 2017

Last edited by pundit; 16-01-2014 at 09:11 PM.
5 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2014, 09:42 PM   #4
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Mid Nov? Starting to warm up, but in Tassie you always pack a jumper..Winds can be chilly.

PA is nice, if your that way then just travel along the East Coast, Wine Glass Bay etc...I love Tassie and would love there if you didnt need to wait for someone to die to get a decent job.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-01-2014, 10:11 PM   #5
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

I loathe Tasmania. I remember a running joke about a competition where first prize was 5 day trip to Tassie, and second prize was 10 days. Save yourself the mind-murder, just go somewhere else.

N.B. I was born in Tassie, so unless your plan is to get drunk with my uncles, I can't recommend going there.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2014, 10:14 PM   #6
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

LOL

Grass is always greener. We go pretty regularly for family, went to Bruny Island and thats nice too, just eat and drink and soak in the scenery and relaxed pace.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 16-01-2014, 10:41 PM   #7
'63Deluxe
Irregular Member

We did a boat tour from Dunedoo? ( near Eaglehawke neck) to Port Arthur - in one of those military style speedboats. It was a great way to see the cliffs and coast.

Not quite a Leisurly cruise ship tho - not for the easily seasick...
'63Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2014, 11:02 PM   #8
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

East coast is nice, perhaps start at Hobart and head south inland to Southport then back along the coast with a day at that island (name escapes me).

Port Arthur, cadbury factory if it's still running :-)

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2014, 11:15 PM   #9
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I dont think they let you tour anymore after an incident. You can go directly (or pay to get in..cant remember) to the cheap choccies.

Oh the best thing to happen to Tas is also the MONA Museum. Must do.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 16-01-2014, 11:23 PM   #10
zilo
BANNED

If you REALLY want to look after your mum go to the MONA museum and actually stay at one of the pavilions there.

Nothing compares to it, we went there for our anniversary last month.

There is the free lookout at Mt Wellington...superb views like no other....takes your breath away.

Take her to russell falls at mt field national park...about 90 minutes from hobart in a rental car....very civilized and not strenuous.

also 5 hrs from hobart...go to Strachan and take her on the seaplane tour over the south west wilderness area....stay at the strachan hotel.

they have a tree there older than jesus.

i could go on and on.

Before you leave have a glass of tap water, it's the world reference for clean drinking water there.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2014, 11:35 PM   #11
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

port arthur, mount wellington, cradle mountain, cataract gorge, strahan (railway, flights, boat rides), spiky bridge, waterfalls on the west coast

so many places of wondrous beauty, hard pressed to find any down side..........we go every few years.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2014, 11:43 PM   #12
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To the O.P , Tassie is an experience not to be missed , believe me if you are into the old ways and appreciate courtesy and a holiday pretty much stress free with scenery and tours that won't break the bank it is worth a look .
In our visit we flew to that northern airport that I have no hope of spelling ( I give up ) and did the east coast down to coles bay , across to ross and turned west before Hobart then up to Strahan . Further nth to Stanley and over to davenport .
We missed a heap of good stuff but that was in 5 days and plan to go back again and do it properly one day . The roads are fantastic and other road users are well , as rare as the tiger.
GREGL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2014, 11:55 PM   #13
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Poppa , is the railway still going ? I only ask because when we were on it the steam side which we were on , got hit by a landslide , hitting of all things the catering carriage . There was talk of it being shut down due to safety issues .
GREGL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2014, 12:26 AM   #14
ZGM86

I was born in Tassie too, and there's plenty to recommend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGL View Post
Poppa , is the railway still going ? I only ask because when we were on it the steam side which we were on , got hit by a landslide , hitting of all things the catering carriage . There was talk of it being shut down due to safety issues .
They've just reopened it two weeks ago. It's going from Queenstown, but not to Strahan at the moment.

Most of the good options have already been mentioned. In Hobart you'll want to check out Salamanca and Mona. There's a ferry that will take you from the Hobart waterfront waterfront up the Derwent River directly to Mona which I've been told is nice. Mt Wellington is also worth checking out. If you like beer or cider then check out the Cascade Factory tours (and the Hobart Beerfest would be on in November too)! The Huon Valley, Bruny Island (check out the Bruny Island Cheese Factory!), and Dover are all good drives down south. Try to explore the whole Tasman Peninsula while you're at Port Arthur. At Eaglehawk Neck you can check out the Blowhole and The Devils Kitchen.

As mentioned earlier, the whole east coast is beautiful and worth checking out. Freycinet National Park and the Bay Of Fires Region near St Helens are highlights, but really the whole place is beautiful. If you go to the north west, definitely check out The Nut at Stanley. New Norfolk and Ross are good if you're into historic towns.

If boating is your thing, then the Pennicott boat tours of Bruny Island and the Tasman Peninsula are amazing.
1978 TE Cortina GL wagon
1955 FJ Holden Special

Car History: 1974 ZG Fairlane 500, 1973 ZG Fairlane 500, 07 SY Territory TX, 1975 Ford F100, 2001 AU2 Falcon XR8 220, 2005 BA RTV, 1997 EL Falcon XR6, 1981 WB Holden pano, 1990 DA LTD, 1992 EB Falcon GLi wagon, 1984 XF Falcon GL wagon, 1976 TD Cortina XL wagon, 1974 TC Cortina XL sedan

Last edited by ZGM86; 17-01-2014 at 12:55 AM.
ZGM86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2014, 12:34 AM   #15
ZGM86

PS: Regarding weather in November, it would most likely be late teens - early 20s for the temperature. But it can be very unpredictable, you can get 4 seasons in one day haha! So yes, pack your bags accordingly.

With 4 days, I guarantee you'll run out of time.
1978 TE Cortina GL wagon
1955 FJ Holden Special

Car History: 1974 ZG Fairlane 500, 1973 ZG Fairlane 500, 07 SY Territory TX, 1975 Ford F100, 2001 AU2 Falcon XR8 220, 2005 BA RTV, 1997 EL Falcon XR6, 1981 WB Holden pano, 1990 DA LTD, 1992 EB Falcon GLi wagon, 1984 XF Falcon GL wagon, 1976 TD Cortina XL wagon, 1974 TC Cortina XL sedan
ZGM86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2014, 01:06 AM   #16
pundit
Gazza!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGM86 View Post
PS: Regarding weather in November, it would most likely be late teens - early 20s for the temperature. But it can be very unpredictable, you can get 4 seasons in one day haha! So yes, pack your bags accordingly.

With 4 days, I guarantee you'll run out of time.
Haha I live in mount gambier, so I know the 4 seasons in 1 day all too well!

I will be starting off at devonport and working my way around back to devonport, I'll be taking my own car over on the ferry.. Works out better value for money for me that way as my driving history is absoutly shocking so if I could even hire a car it would be mega $$
11.79 @ 122mph

RIP 2006 - 2017
Old 17-01-2014, 01:17 AM   #17
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

"Things to do in Tasmania" REALLY?
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2014, 11:18 AM   #18
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGL View Post
not sure, they are selling fares according to this website http://www.wcwr.com.au , if it is running, and I am sure it will be simply because of the number of folks who love it so much, then it is one not to be missed, we did it "first class" not for the free booze nor for our butler but for the ability to go out onto the rear platform of the carriage to view and photograph the amazing landscape.

simply amazing stuff that I and my wife will forever remember.

the Gordon river cruise out through Macquarie harbour to devils gate then to sarah island via the gordon is another not to be missed.

do not fall into the trap that we succumbed to and buy a window seat, once the vessel is underway you can go where you like apart from the very upper deck where the champagne set like to keep away from us unwashed multitude.

My wife and I did the wilderness railway and the gordon river cruise over a period of two days, immensely enjoyable.

the hotel/restaurant in Strahan needs a wide berth though and preference given to the fish and chip shop which serves restaurant class meals at takeaway prices.

Tasmania holds a special place in mine and my wifes heart, it is spectacular at the least and soul enriching at it's poorest.

we also liked the Salamanca market, the Huon valley, elephant pass and 99 bends into queenstown to see the destruction inflicted by the miners.

Tassie is a place that can be as sophisticated or as laid back as you like, both options are readily available.

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 17-01-2014, 12:51 PM   #19
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

how long does it take on the ferry to get over there?
always wanted to drive to melbs get on the boat with the turbo and drive around tassie for a week

edit
about 11 hrs
errrr
think i would fly and hire a car over there lol
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2014, 01:03 PM   #20
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

You take the night crossing..for gods sake take the night crossing otherwise you will be bored out of your brain.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 17-01-2014, 01:08 PM   #21
ToCo
Drives a Ute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Smurf View Post
"Things to do in Tasmania" REALLY?
Are you missing the last half of your post?
This time of year Tassie is beautiful, there is plenty to do, especially down the east coast. If you go down south, definitely check out MONA, its incredible. Also heading from Launceston to Burnie you have Raspberry Farms, Cheese Factories and Chocolate factories which shouldn't be passed up.

Feel free to take your negative useless post elsewhere buddy.
Old 17-01-2014, 01:43 PM   #22
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

11 hours on the ferry may seem like a long time but it is a large vessel and there are 3 or 4 eateries ranging from self serve to full service, a few bars, an onboard shop and a movie theatre as well as the views.

we have met some absolutely fantastic people on all trips and have found the trip to be too short, we just get to know some very good folk and it's time to go ashore.

first time we flew and hired a motorhome, second time we took the camper and "cruise chairs" that lay back, consequent times we take the car and grabbed a cabin.

the ferry's we took were overnighters but daytime would not phase me one bit, all part of the "getaway"

Old 17-01-2014, 01:56 PM   #23
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

did a quick booking mock up on there and picked the deluxe cabin for return trip and also take own car
came to around 1400 bucks
then you need accommodation in tassie so your prob looking at needing a decent 5 or 6 grand by the time you eat and pay for petrol, which really isnt that bad tbh
ive spent more than that on the gold coast in 7 days on a holiday
mid you we did everything touristy you can name including tiger walks etc at the zoo

tassie would be good one day
and if theres a cheese factory, oh boy...hold me the hell back!
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2014, 02:16 PM   #24
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

We stayed with a mate at Ulverstone for a week a few years back, and in that week the furthest west we got was Stanley and the furthest east and south was Symmons Plains (for the V8s). If it wasn't for the V8s, then Launceston would have been the furthest east and south, but that was only because we flew into Launceston!! Not that we did the 'touristy' thing every day there, but that gives you an idea as to just how much there is to do in that small an area, let alone all of Tassie!

So, for the north/west coast, I'd recommend a trip to Stanley to ride the chair lift to the top of the Nut.

In Burnie, they run free Little Penguin tours. These run from the tourist information centre on the west side of West Beach, and the experience is amazing. It is all volunteer run, so it is pretty basic, but you have the penguins literally crawling around your legs as they make their way to their burrows for the night. Well worth it. More info here: http://www.discoverburnie.net/what-to-see/penguins.html

My wife and daughter went to the town of Latrobe on the day my mate and I were at the V8s and they have raved about it ever since, especially the gift shop Reliquaire, which sounds like it is an experience in itself, and possibly something your mum would enjoy. More info here: http://www.latrobetasmania.com.au/ and here: http://www.reliquaire.com/

Lastly, and most importantly, make sure you stop in at the Christmas Hills Raspberry Farm, which is just on the Launceston side of Elizabeth Town. Try their chocolate coated raspberries. These are real raspberries and not the lolly ones, and are to DIE for. My mate made the effort of going for a trip just to get us some raspberries before he came to visit us, only to find out they only last a day or two, so he very reluctantly ate them all instead. You know, I have often thought about catching a plane across to Launceston again JUST to get my fix of the chocolate coated raspberries, that is how much I loved them. Not sure my mate would be too impressed tho More info here: http://www.raspberryfarmcafe.com/

No matter what you end up doing, you will have no problems filling in the 4 days you have planned.

Enjoy the trip!

Craig H

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2014, 02:27 PM   #25
Falcman0o7
Banned

Weather is great but can change QUICK.
If you're an outdoor person there is alot to do!

Up north we have the lauceston gorge, inverest muesem, hollybank treetops adventure, theres heaps really, and port aurther down hobart just to name a few.

depends what do you like to do?
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2014, 02:29 PM   #26
pundit
Gazza!

Thanks lads, some great ideas getting thrown around. Might have to stay for a week, looks like I might have to push the budget.

Also going to be a great feeling taking my own car over there after all the work I am putting into it.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4
11.79 @ 122mph

RIP 2006 - 2017
Old 17-01-2014, 02:50 PM   #27
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I went in autumn either last year or the year before, can't remember. Picked up a car in Launceston. Then went straight over to Georges bay for a bit of bush walking to stetch the legs and some lunch. Got pulled over by the police for speeding 1hr after getting there. Being from Victoria I was expecting a hammering. The cop asked if I was a tourist. I said yep and he let me off with a warning. Pretty good considering in victoria it would have been a 1 month loss of license and an $800 fine for the same offence.

After wandering around St Helens we drove down to Bicheno and stayed the night. Up early the next morning to checkout Wineglass bay at dawn. We then cut across the midlands which was really nice seeing as it was autumn. Lots of postcard misty leafy towns. We kind of got lost in the midlands just cruising around generally trying to head west.

We Checked out the hydro scheme, hung out at Lake Burbury for a while, and eventually popped out at Queenstown. Done the tourist things around Queenstown. Then spent the night in Stahan where we went for a walk down at Maquarie heads at dusk. Very very windy. Next day we were up early again and heading for Cradle Mountain NP. On the way we stopped at Rosebery and lake Mackintosh. Lots and lots of tourists at Cradle mountain around by the time we got there. We ended up doing the lake walk which was great. We then drove up to Burnie and then west to Stanley for the night. Word of warning in Stanley. There is a fish and chip shop attached to a fishing coop there. We thought we were in for a treat and it was rubbish. Next day was our last full day so we headed east back towards Launceston. Very nice part of the country. We checked out lighthouses, beaches, nothing too strenuous. We stopped at a town called Penguin for lunch. Awesome bakery. Then continued east through Port Sorrell, eventually back to Launceston for the night. Early flight home the next day.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2014, 02:55 PM   #28
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T View Post
I went in autumn either last year or the year before, can't remember. Picked up a car in Launceston. Then went straight over to Georges bay for a bit of bush walking to stetch the legs and some lunch. Got pulled over by the police for speeding 1hr after getting there. Being from Victoria I was expecting a hammering. The cop asked if I was a tourist. I said yep and he let me off with a warning. Pretty good considering in victoria it would have been a 1 month loss of license and an $800 fine for the same offence.

After wandering around St Helens we drove down to Bicheno and stayed the night. Up early the next morning to checkout Wineglass bay at dawn. We then cut across the midlands which was really nice seeing as it was autumn. Lots of postcard misty leafy towns. We kind of got lost in the midlands just cruising around generally trying to head west.

We Checked out the hydro scheme, hung out at Lake Burbury for a while, and eventually popped out at Queenstown. Done the tourist things around Queenstown. Then spent the night in Stahan where we went for a walk down at Maquarie heads at dusk. Very very windy. Next day we were up early again and heading for Cradle Mountain NP. On the way we stopped at Rosebery and lake Mackintosh. Lots and lots of tourists at Cradle mountain around by the time we got there. We ended up doing the lake walk which was great. We then drove up to Burnie and then west to Stanley for the night. Word of warning in Stanley. There is a fish and chip shop attached to a fishing coop there. We thought we were in for a treat and it was rubbish. Next day was our last full day so we headed east back towards Launceston. Very nice part of the country. We checked out lighthouses, beaches, nothing too strenuous. We stopped at a town called Penguin for lunch. Awesome bakery. Then continued east through Port Sorrell, eventually back to Launceston for the night. Early flight home the next day.
Should mention that entire trip including car hire, flights, hotels, entertainment, and food came in at just under $1000 for the week. Good value in my opinion. My girlfriend kicked in a couple of extra hundred. I think the only thing she paid for was her own flight actually which was something like $79 each way. Good value holiday and I want to go back soon.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2014, 03:31 PM   #29
pundit
Gazza!

Hiring a car would be nice, main reason for the trip is mh old girl is on a disability payment, always wanted to go on a cruise ship.. the spirit isn't a cruise boat but from what I hear it isn't too bad. And will suffice for her budget.

For me I need to do a 450km drive to Melbourne if I fly or drive.. When I get my licence back in June ill be on my p's so instantly rules out a hire car.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4
11.79 @ 122mph

RIP 2006 - 2017
Old 17-01-2014, 04:04 PM   #30
zilo
BANNED

just a bit of important advice...

when boarding the ferry dont get there right at the earliest time...else you will get through security and just sit in your car for two hours in the queue....and they don't let you back out for food or drink...

if it leaves at 9pm and starts boarding at 6pm then do the security thing at no sooner than 8pm.

you'll be very annoyed if you think you will be on the boat quicker.

it's the one thing they have still got very, very horribly wrong....the ferry load and unload procedure.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post