Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 13-02-2014, 02:09 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up Poll Finds Older Drivers Have More Concentration..

ONLY 60% of drivers concentrate when they are behind the wheel, according to an overseas poll by IAM/Vision Critical of nearly 1500 drivers.

However, there was good and bad news in the research.

The good news is that older drivers are much less likely to lose concentration while driving. Seventy-three per cent of over 65 year-olds say they concentrate on the road all of the time that they are driving. Twenty-six per cent said that they concentrate most of the time.

The bad news is that 50 per cent of younger drivers aged 18-24 admit to not concentrating on driving 100% of the time. Not far behind, 47% of 24-34 year-olds admit to not concentrating.

Nearly a quarter of drivers (24%) say that simply daydreaming was the most common reason for not concentrating. Among 18-24 year-olds the figure is 30%.

Other reasons given for not concentrating include stress (22%), thinking about what you will be doing when you arrive (21%) and thinking about family, friends and personal relationships (21%).
http://www.themorningbulletin.com.au...ratio/2167170/

Last edited by csv8; 13-02-2014 at 02:10 PM. Reason: add link
This user likes this post:
Old 13-02-2014, 02:16 PM   #2
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Poll Finds Older Drivers Have More Concentration..

73% of over 65 year olds talk poo, is the real answer.

Shame a lot of old fogeys don't know how to reach the speed limit.

Yes, you are definitely a safe driver, doing 40 in a 60, thank you for your tireless service!
Old 13-02-2014, 02:21 PM   #3
BHDOGS
Banned

The concentrate so hard because they cant see or hear anything
3 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2014, 04:09 PM   #4
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS View Post
The concentrate so hard because they cant see or hear anything
Basically, this!

For some elderly drivers, the simple act of driving is such a drain that they drive as if they are in a bubble.. oblivious to everything going on around them.
Old 13-02-2014, 04:37 PM   #5
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

An older (pun!) article touching on the above.

Quote:
Road test: are the young or the elderly more dangerous?

Young drivers regularly make the front pages of our newspapers, too often in tragic circumstances. From drag racing to drink-driving, they’re portrayed as being a menace on the road. The UK’s Telegraph wrote, sensationally, that “Young drivers have a licence to kill”.

But for all the emphasis on young hooning P-platers, another age group is causing more than its fair share of road accidents.

Earlier this month in Victoria, a 91-year-old driver left a “trail of destruction“ after losing control of her car. She wasn’t the only one. Three other older drivers damaged property this month in Victoria, with one losing her life. And there are more and more older drivers around; the Australian Bureau of Statistics estimates that the number of drivers over 60 could double by 2030 and almost quadruple by 2050.

Crikey wondered: who is more of a danger behind the wheel, young drivers or the elderly? The raw figures from the ABS paint a grim picture. Almost as many drivers aged 17-25 died in 2011 as drivers aged between 40 and 59, even though there are far more people in the older age bracket. It was the same for the 10 years before that.

But that isn’t the whole story. The Centre for Accident Research and Road Safety analysed crashes in Queensland from 2004 to 2009 and found that although the rate of crashes did spike between the ages of 17-24, they rose again between age 90 and 100.

In fact, in South Australia, a state government report shows older drivers surpass younger drivers for risk of death per kilometre travelled.

But the statistics aren’t that black and white. “Younger and older drivers have very high rates of crashes, but in younger drivers it tends to be from being irresponsible: drinking or driving too fast,” said Dr Mark King, from the University of Queensland’s Centre for Accident Research and Road Safety. “On the other hand, older drivers tend to have just made a mistake in judgement.”

He also found that young people were more dangerous for other road users, with older ones putting only themselves at risk. “If you look at older people’s crashes, where there’s been a fatality, it’s usually the older driver that’s killed, not anyone else. With younger people it’s more variable,” said King.

Monash University Accident Research Centre Professor Max Cameron says older drivers actively try to minimise the risk they pose to others. “What we find is that older people recognise their limitations and drive much less. They seldom drive at night, they usually drive at lower speeds, and they’re usually affluent enough to drive better cars,” he said.

In contrast, young people are often not thinking about minimising risk. “Inexperience is the big issue. Also they’re usually driving older, second-hand cars which add to the problem,” said Cameron.

Professor Raphael Grzebieta from the Transport and Road Safety unit at University of New South Wales said since some young people won’t check their behaviour, it’s up to the media.

“With young people, really the only thing that is preventing them from really going to extreme situation is threat of demerit points and threat of loss of life,” said Grzebieta. “Young people just don’t have a perception of risk, in terms of crashes, in terms of their driving skills, in perceiving hazards. You have to have that development of the driving skill, that process of learning to be a better driver.”
Link and credit

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Old 13-02-2014, 04:43 PM   #6
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Funnily, the older I get, the less I get annoyed by those pesky whipper snappers driving crazy fast (65 in a 60 zone....death defying stuff!!).

I remember years ago I was driving along behind a young fella in a..... zzzzzzzzz....

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
3 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2014, 04:56 PM   #7
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^^ you beat me to it!!!!

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
2 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2014, 05:01 PM   #8
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That article is not quite right. I researched this myself a few years ago, and the ATSB's stats were pretty clear. Older drivers were more likely to crash into others, younger drivers had more single vehicle accidents.
Old 13-02-2014, 05:33 PM   #9
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

They obviously concentrate more.
No one else would press the accelerator peddle so hard while mounting the gutter, speeding across a crowded car park, smashing through a parking barrier and flying through a plate glass shop window.
That's a lot to ignore unless you concentrate on the accelerater peddle.
Oops, or was that the brake peddle.
Old 13-02-2014, 05:48 PM   #10
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRtowcar View Post
No one else would press the accelerator peddle so hard while mounting the gutter, speeding across a crowded car park, smashing through a parking barrier and flying through a plate glass shop window.
I think you might be referring to a lot of younger drivers in that scenario.
Old 13-02-2014, 05:56 PM   #11
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

http://au.news.yahoo.com/vic/a/17915...to-shop-front/
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/car-crashe...204-31ymt.html
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law...-1226750438529
http://www.nbnnews.com.au/index.php/...hes-into-shop/
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/el...807-2rg7f.html
http://www.krock.com.au/index.php/ne...hopping-centre
Do you think?
Old 13-02-2014, 06:07 PM   #12
brismike
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lots of valid viewpoints as listed above viz younger & older drivers.

One thing that I have noticed is that younger drivers are more likely to have their face immersed in a phone while they are driving than older drivers.

This to me is a very dangerous practice and fines/penalties need to be tripled for using phones while driving.

Cheers Mike

Wife's - 2018 Peugeot 3008 Gtline, Pearl White - 6 Speed Auto - Fully Optioned.

My Toy - 2014 Smart Fortwo Passion Crystal White, Black Tridion Cell - 5 Speed Auto with Flappy Paddles - Tint - Twin Exhaust

The only good Commodore is the one now very very quickly disappearing in my rear view mirror.
Old 13-02-2014, 09:47 PM   #13
Spurious

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRtowcar View Post
Neither...it was a "pedal" !!!
I doubt they were trying to sell something while crashing!

peddle
ˈpɛd(ə)l/Submit
verb
verb: peddle; 3rd person present: peddles; past tense: peddled; past participle: peddled; gerund or present participle: peddling
try to sell (something, especially small goods) by going from place to place.
"he peddled printing materials around the country"
synonyms: sell, sell from door to door, hawk, tout, vend, offer for sale; More
sell (an illegal drug or stolen item).
"youths involved in drug peddling"
promote (an idea or view) persistently or widely.
"the giant con that has been peddled in the Conservative press"
synonyms: advocate, suggest, urge, recommend, champion; More
Origin

early 16th cent.: back-formation from pedlar.

Sorry...had to be done. LOL
Old 13-02-2014, 10:03 PM   #14
Spurious

Crashes involving the elderly remind me of 2 words, "Sophie Delezio".

I personally have noticed over the past few months that "THE WORST" drivers are middle aged women in small cars. They are impatient speeders, rude, demanding, arrogant, ignorant & downright dangerous drivers.
Combine all those with a menstral cycle & YOU DO NOT WANT TO GET IN THEIR WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had one incident here in Ulverstone just recently. A middle aged woman who will remain anonymous (senior HARCOURTS REALESTATE AGENT..."oops") was "FORCED" to stop & wait for me whilst I exited my mums driveway with my 16ft boat in tow.
I will add that my car is lowered & the boat & trailer weigh about 1 ton & sits on 13" car tyres, suffice to say neither vehicle responds well to driveways right!

The end result was myself being called an "A" hole out loud by the middle aged lady driver. Her male passenger had not a word to say. I think he made the right choice. He would have been beheaded on the roadside if he'd spoken out in opposition to the drivers actions!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This user likes this post:
Old 13-02-2014, 10:09 PM   #15
buickman
buickman

A lot of the younger drivers nowadays would struggle to drive a overpriced manual underpowered car with no Sync mesh in 1st gear, vacuum wipers, drum brakes all round and bad handling, as myself and many other young blokes in the early 70’s did. Add to that AM radio stations with poor speakers.
Come to think of it I would struggle to drive bombs like that at seem to have over inflated prices now.
Old 13-02-2014, 10:33 PM   #16
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne View Post
73% of over 65 year olds talk poo, is the real answer.

Shame a lot of old fogeys don't know how to reach the speed limit.

Yes, you are definitely a safe driver, doing 40 in a 60, thank you for your tireless service!

That statement is that of a fool.....or someone who thinks he is perfect.
Old 13-02-2014, 10:38 PM   #17
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

...... and 98% of P platers think they can drive but are really living in a delusional world and its proven that those under 25 who drive V8's only do so to compensate for their lack of manhood.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics ........

Personally would rather drive with people my age. They at least have no delusions they are better than Vettel

So ..... from an 'old bloke' heres some advice. 40 years of continual driving amounts for a hell of a lot more than 2 years on your P's backed up with 5 years mastering GT4 as that accounts for nothing

Proof lies in most of the posts above. Come back in 10-20 years and then explain how this experience accounts for nothing ........

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Auslandau; 13-02-2014 at 10:47 PM.
7 users like this post:
Closed Thread