Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-04-2015, 10:48 AM   #1
HULK_I6T
Banned

Default Cheaper used car yards... do genuine cars exist?

I recently was asked by a friend to help them find a used car. They didnt want to spend much so looked at mostly popular cars (parts availability) both privately and at cheaper used car yards. (That dont sell new cars).

As they live in the shire they asked me to look at a few cars at Carcity mitchinbury so they didnt drive over for nothing. Ok no worries.

First car was a ford bf xt falcon sedan. Ive owned plenty of these cars so i thought id have a decent benchmark. Car was started cold and for first few minutes was slipping everywhere in the gearbox. Trim bits were missing and car had too many km for my liking. It was an ex rental car so pretty much trashed

Next car in the same complex was a calais vy 5.7.. drove it from cold and it didnt know where to idle. It was all over the place and felt like it was lacking power compared to what i know of them. Again high km didnt help as well as windows that didnt work.

Third car i looked at was a mazda 3. There were swirl marks all over this car. Incredible, again trim bits were missing or rxcessively flexed inside evidencing their had been some quick patch up fixes.

Three cars from three were terrible. Told the salesman each time and each time acted all surprised. What a waste of time. I thought id walk through the yards for anything that could interest my mate but all had ridiculous high km and always found a problem with trim or paint tc etc etc. Didnt bother driving anymore as im sure they would be terrible

I asked a salesman, anything in hear with 100,000km or less? He looked around and said na mate.

Ive bought cheaper cars in the past from private people and ghey were all mint cars. Some people do care for used cars. To me that car yard is simply a place to offload mediocre cars with a dark history to people living out west that probably cant afford new cars. But the calibre of cars was just terrible, not one decent car in there.

You could find excellent cars privately especially one owner cars well cared for and at cheaper prices too.

It seems that many of the cheaper yards buys all the rubbish "traded in" cars from the auctions for any amount they can salvage for them and then do some quick patch up fixes to try flog em off for a profit to unsuspecting people.

Anyone ever found a genuine car in any of these types of yards?
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2015, 10:52 AM   #2
Cranky243

Default Re: Cheaper used car yards... do genuine cars exist?

Haven't you made a thread like this before lad?

You chose a ex-rental as a benchmark?
Cranky243 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2015, 10:57 AM   #3
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky243 View Post
Haven't you made a thread like this before lad?

You chose a ex-rental as a benchmark?
No my cars are the benchmark. What ive bought privately in the past.

The ex rental is what that yard is trying to pass off as an excellent family car lol

My mate lives in a unit in cronulla with no car spot and often parks his car 2-3 blocks away from his unit on the street. So he dont want a new car in those circumstances But dont mean he wants to settle for a scrap car from those used car yards

Last edited by HULK_I6T; 26-04-2015 at 11:04 AM.
Old 26-04-2015, 11:03 AM   #4
GSP07R

Are you looking for a car or having a go at dealers for selling cheap cars?
GSP07R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2015, 11:12 AM   #5
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Didnt the cars you have for sale on AFF recently have a higher than market value as a reflection of their condition? Because the above is the same except the prices are reflecting their poor condition.

Lower price, lower standards; unless youre willing to hold out for that gem.
Depending on your mates needs why not look for a mint AU or even E series.
Grays online or pickles.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2015, 11:37 AM   #6
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by monkeys View Post
Didnt the cars you have for sale on AFF recently have a higher than market value as a reflection of their condition? Because the above is the same except the prices are reflecting their poor condition.

Lower price, lower standards; unless youre willing to hold out for that gem.
Depending on your mates needs why not look for a mint AU or even E series.
Grays online or pickles.
Id rather a mint au or even mint e series over a roughie b series. Even paying more for the older minter

The problem with many of the used car yards is the prices are way too high for the poor condition.

The funny thing is if these yards have a car with around 100,000km they think its new and ask near new prices.

Privately, Ill buy their best car for the price they ask for their roughies.

Imagine paying over $10k for a bf xt with 170,000km+ (with slipping transmission and missing trim bits)
Old 26-04-2015, 11:40 AM   #7
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

All you're saying is what most of us here already know, it pays to shop around.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2015, 11:45 AM   #8
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
All you're saying is what most of us here already know, it pays to shop around.
Im also saying that cars in some yards are all consistently of a particular standard. A standard in which none of us would in our right minds accept, despite price. Go for a walk through carcity and decide for yourself.

Australian fleet sales also try offload cars well past their best for high prices. There is a particular standard car which they target.. newish in years but well used.

My point? Private seller is best as the owner needs to take responsibility for its history/condition. one owner better again.

Last edited by HULK_I6T; 26-04-2015 at 11:56 AM.
Old 26-04-2015, 11:52 AM   #9
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cross-shopping a V8 Calais and a Mazda 3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
...try flog em off for a profit...
Bastards. What are they - some kind of business or something? It is like they want to feed their family and pay their staff. Car yards should be charitable organisations that sell cars at a loss
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2015, 11:53 AM   #10
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Im also saying that cars in some yards are all consistently of a particular standard. A standard in which none of us would in our right minds accept, despite price
Then go to another yard, that's what shopping around is about.

And if you can't find something in the condition you expect for the price you're willing to pay then you're out of touch with the market and it's time to compromise.

Either throw more cash in the ring or lower your expectations.

The streets aren't paved with gold.
Old 26-04-2015, 11:54 AM   #11
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While "none of us" will accept that standard there are people out there who have no choice or aren't looking for a spotless car and there is a market. If there wasn't those dealers would be closed.

I bought a 2003 Pajero with 270000kms on the clock, some of the inside bits were a bit broken but it was a third car that is going to spend its whole life outdoors. The important bits so far are working fine and the body had no rust, yes it was cheap and yes it was likely from "one of those dealers".
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
SensationFG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-04-2015, 12:08 PM   #12
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggle Piggle View Post
Bastards. What are they - some kind of business or something? It is like they want to feed their family and pay their staff. Car yards should be charitable organisations that sell cars at a loss
I understand its a business but the degree of dishonesty is what has my blood boiling. They dont declare issues with the car and act offended when you point out that gearboxes are shot or windows dont work or why bits of trim are missing/manipulated. When people arent car savvy as we are, they get ripped off hard.

Most private sellers declare obvious or costly issues with car as they have some integrity about them and dont want angry buyers turning up the next morning.

Does anyone try offer counterfeit money as payment? You pay what you promised. But "these yards" are happy to promise one type of car and deliver basically a counterfeit car.
Old 26-04-2015, 12:28 PM   #13
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Most private sellers declare obvious or costly issues with car as they have some integrity about them and dont want angry buyers turning up the next morning.
4 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2015, 12:35 PM   #14
BLU-220
FG XR50 TURBO
Donating Member3

good 'ol Hulky keeping us all entertained with your threads
BLU-220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2015, 12:41 PM   #15
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Id rather a mint au or even mint e series over a roughie b series
Shouldve sold your mate your AU, at least then it wouldve met your standards for a 2nd hand car purchase

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2015, 12:45 PM   #16
Ruination

I bought the missus a 2009 Hyundai Getz from a used car dealer. Sure it had 140,000km on it, but what it did have was a complete full service history and every service was done at every interval.

The first thing I did before buying the car was contact the mechanic to ensure the services were legit.

Sure it had high kms but it was looked after and it shows.
The Getz was like the 10th car we took interest in after a bunch of Fiestas and Focuses, to which were all rundown in someway.

High Ks cars shouldn't deter you from buying if everything checks out good and has been looked after.
4 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2015, 12:54 PM   #17
MrEL
Sick Puppy

For someone who lives in Erskine Park you love hanging crap on people who live out west.
Are you Champaigne taste on a beer budget or just mutton dressed up as lamb?
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2015, 12:58 PM   #18
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

There is a nice used car dealership called Westgate Motors down here which tends to only stock the nicer second hand cars:

http://www.westgatemotors.com.au/easylist.aspx

Everything down there looks mint but you pay for it.

At least you get a 3 month warranty though.

I was there with a mate when he bought his BF XR6 from them, the majority of the yard was all recent model HSVs detailed to within an inch of their life and they keep the very good condition cars on that lot.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2015, 01:36 PM   #19
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

These yards offer easy finance for people with horrible credit history or new immigrants that need a car to get around but don't have the money to buy so finance from the yard and get screwed in the end on interest rates and balloon payments at t the end.

where I work there are a lot of new migrants from africa and asia and the only way they can get a car is from a place like this they all have problems with these things they spend more time on a hoist than on tne road.

Thats why places like melbournes cheapest cars and motor finance wizard are killing it.

Yes come to us if you can't get finance for a cheap car but get screwed in the end with the deal and the yard earns a commission from the finance company I used to next to a yard like this bout 10 years ago they bought all the crap trade in's from all the dealerships shined them up and quickly turned them around for a small profit plus commission from the finance company.
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2015, 02:05 PM   #20
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boza View Post
These yards offer easy finance for people with horrible credit history or new immigrants that need a car to get around but don't have the money to buy so finance from the yard and get screwed in the end on interest rates and balloon payments at t the end.

where I work there are a lot of new migrants from africa and asia and the only way they can get a car is from a place like this they all have problems with these things they spend more time on a hoist than on tne road.

Thats why places like melbournes cheapest cars and motor finance wizard are killing it.

Yes come to us if you can't get finance for a cheap car but get screwed in the end with the deal and the yard earns a commission from the finance company I used to next to a yard like this bout 10 years ago they bought all the crap trade in's from all the dealerships shined them up and quickly turned them around for a small profit plus commission from the finance company.
Bingo a perfect description of these sort of dealers. Its all fair as those customers with bad credit are risky and financiers need to cover their added risk. Fair point.

But at least these dealers should give them a decent car if you are going to kill them on price and repayments. Most of these dealers hit them on all fronts, shine up someones old crap car with bad gearbox and high kms, high sale price and high interest rates for a trifecta
Old 26-04-2015, 02:23 PM   #21
HULK_I6T
Banned

I know someone who goes to my gym who bought a g6et from aussie fleet sales. Had full exhaust including cat and dump. Aftermarket front mount intercooler and who knows what else. But the previous owner flashed it back to stock to keep the sct for himself and flogged it off by trading it in.

Who knows how lean it was running and if it was ever tuned or how many passes it had done at wsid. To me something is not quite right with it.

Aussie fleet sales sold it "as new" with 108000km on the clock.

I shook my head when he told me how much he paid and im sure he financed it too.

He now has spent more having it custom tuned and sorted out a few gremlins with it to get it back on par.
Old 26-04-2015, 02:42 PM   #22
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

You must sit at home at night thinking what sort of new and exciting post can I think up today.........
Old 26-04-2015, 02:45 PM   #23
Itsme
Experienced Member

Hey Hulk, I will sell you a car privately, it will be in top condition for the right price & I can bet you you won't be able to pick what was wrong with it, don't be fooled in thinking buying private will be better, it can be just as bad as buying from a dealer.
Sure there will be some good ones at there but you still taking a chance.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2015, 02:55 PM   #24
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

With those second or third tier yards there is plenty of garbage but you do occasionally find a diamond in the rough.

In Melbourne we have car city in Ringwood. There is plenty of dodgy stuff there ( cars and dealers) but the odd gem does turn up. They get the cars that are traded through the dealerships that they would not put on their lot such as too old, too many k's or a known warranty problem child.

Melbournes Cheapest Cars have mostly ex rental or fleet stock. Again, you can see some have been treated better than others. Just have to be discerning but there is good stuff to be had.

My old XR6 finished up at Car City after using it as a trade in for my Honda at a Honda dealership. Had a prospective buyer contacted me they would have discovered it needed to have the suspension completely re-bushed front and rear. The buyer would have seen a full and complete service history and been happy with that.

My Honda when trade in time occurs will probably end up at Car City as well.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2015, 03:23 PM   #25
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEL View Post
For someone who lives in Erskine Park you love hanging crap on people who live out west.
Are you Champaigne taste on a beer budget or just mutton dressed up as lamb?
So true
I started reading this thread and expected to soon read a mention of the mythical 100,000k km barrier.
I wasn't disappointed
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2015, 04:17 PM   #26
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Imagine paying over $10k for a bf xt with 170,000km+ (with slipping transmission and missing trim bits)
I am STILL looking for that elusive BF XT with 170,000 (or under) that is even near advertised for $10,000 PLUS ?????? Show me one please????

Exagerate much?

How about a BELOW 100,000 BF XT for BELOW 10k??? OMG .... its a dealer!

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de...17452536/?Cr=5

Sorry .... that one is in Gold Coast ... did a search for NSW. So this one?

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de...7283489/?Cr=32

You get bad from dealers and private. Just do your homework? Got a computer? Do some searching.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Auslandau; 26-04-2015 at 04:30 PM.
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2015, 04:29 PM   #27
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm more interested in what car you think best meets your mate's needs. Obviously you would have asked questions to uncover his needs to avoid wasting his and your time, so let us know his price range and what is important to him and then let us know what make/model/year you think will suit him best?

You never know, that might generate more heated discussion than poor stock in cheap dealer yards...kind of like a bonus troll similar to starting a house prices thread and finding the resultant city vs regional argument had greater stir value.

So, what is the budget and brief you are working to, and what do you think best meets the criteria?
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2015, 06:45 PM   #28
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I understand its a business but the degree of dishonesty is what has my blood boiling. They dont declare issues with the car and act offended when you point out that gearboxes are shot or windows dont work or why bits of trim are missing/manipulated. When people arent car savvy as we are, they get ripped off hard.
Bit like buying anew car from some of those manufacturers who have problems, like ford, vw, gm, mecedes, hyundai, etal

Quote:
I doubt they all do, they too want the best money for their rubbish, we have all heard horror stories of dodgy repairs and masking issues to sell the car
Caveat emptor!

Quote:
Does anyone try offer counterfeit money as payment? You pay what you promised. But "these yards" are happy to promise one type of car and deliver basically a counterfeit car.
Caveat emptor again, just like buying new from the likes of BMW, jeep, renault, toyota etal

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2015, 07:12 PM   #29
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Oh, FFS, a seller, whether private or dealer don't need to declare "problems" they are selling a second hand consumable item, which is on sale to the public as is where is. Its up to the buyer to look over the car and decide if its condition is commensurate with the asking price and their acceptable standard. A "Problem" for one buyer is a non issue for another.
The added layer of protection a dealer will provide is warranty if something major goes wrong.
How old are you hulk? have you just realised the world is full of dishonest people??

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 26-04-2015, 07:33 PM   #30
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

I bought my BF XT with a genuine 24000kms for 9k in Melbourne.. Site unseen.

They're out there. Just look...

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post