Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-06-2015, 03:02 PM   #1
Harrison

Default Get Yourself a Brand New 1964.5 Mustang

Did a Search but didn't see anything. Delete if this has been covered -

http://gearheads.org/get-yourself-a-...964-5-mustang/
Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-06-2015, 08:36 PM   #2
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Default Re: Get Yourself a Brand New 1964.5 Mustang

As much that car looks good and may out point the original all over the place, it’s still just a kit car.

And for that type of coin why on earth would you want a kit car when you can grab an original for half the cost and enjoy it for what it’s meant to be, an old school pony car.

And even if I didn’t like to live with the old school feel, upgrading an original in a few key areas to improve its driveability would be a preferred option for me.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2015, 09:52 PM   #3
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not legal here unfortunately
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2015, 10:40 PM   #4
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not legal here because it's a "brand new LHD car" and we must be treated like children and protected from such horrors in this country...(and don't bloody get me started on that or I'll keep going...).
I will ask this question though...if the authorities are now quite happy to let you drive a 30-year-old-plus car on LHD, then why not a far safer brand new car on LHD just as freely...? The term "Afraid of opening the floodgates" springs to mind...

Here's an original Mustang for new Corolla money...and this was just one quick search for Mustangs in Queensland...
http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...D-3250958&Cr=4

Or one which is fully resto'd for "I got a good deal on a new XR6" money...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2015, 10:46 PM   #5
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

I live very close to Winter Park. I need to find out where they're actually building those. (But no, I have no interest in buying one, and couldn't afford one, anyway.)
Old 30-06-2015, 11:06 PM   #6
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Not legal here because it's a "brand new LHD car" and we must be treated like children and protected from such horrors in this country...(and don't bloody get me started on that or I'll keep going...).
I will ask this question though...if the authorities are now quite happy to let you drive a 30-year-old-plus car on LHD, then why not a far safer brand new car on LHD just as freely...? The term "Afraid of opening the floodgates" springs to mind...

Here's an original Mustang for new Corolla money...and this was just one quick search for Mustangs in Queensland...

Or one which is fully resto'd for "I got a good deal on a new XR6" money...
Even if it was RHD is still wouldnt be legal.
Technically its a brand new car and has to meet 2015 regulations. (which it cant)
Same stupid reason why you cant put a new chassis under your hotrod
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2015, 11:18 PM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Need to have a pretty fat wallet to do it that way, but it would be a nice easy way to do it starting off with a new body/everything though.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2015, 11:49 PM   #8
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
Need to have a pretty fat wallet to do it that way, but it would be a nice easy way to do it starting off with a new body/everything though.
You can say that again ... USD$119,500 base price is a big ask.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2015, 12:19 AM   #9
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In England old car magazines constantly advertise companies making brand new body shells for E-Type Jags, MGB's, Morris Minors, classic Minis, all with known rust spots and weak spots fixed and strengthened. I believe a lot of them come out of factories in Singapore and other Asian places, built to exacting standards for the companies selling them.

They say given the amount of small companies and "blokes in sheds" making repro parts for these cars in England, you could if you wished build a brand new one of these cars from the ground up using all brand new parts. I doubt in Australia they'd let you register one unless you went through the "kit car" route though...must keep us all suckling from the teat of cookie cutter brand new cars and not expose us to the horrible world outside Australia where they treat the car driving public with a little respect and let them drive interesting things...even things they've built in their back shed.

Given the astronomical price of E-Type Jags in particular this would be a financially viable way to own one over there.

And that's not to mention the companies in the USA building brand new body shells for mid 50's Chevs, Camaros, and Mustangs...

So much goodness we're simply not allowed to have here...
Old 01-07-2015, 02:42 AM   #10
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

I guess you could if you have one already .. If you know what I mean ??
Or it's a Falcon coupe ... Honest !! Lol
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2015, 08:09 AM   #11
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240 View Post
I guess you could if you have one already .. If you know what I mean ??
Or it's a Falcon coupe ... Honest !! Lol
I do remember an article in a British magazine on how to register these cars but of course that would be based on their system. Not sure where the magazine would be now...buried somewhere in my shed amongst all the other stuff.
Interestingly over there for cars over 30 years old you pay no road tax (basically rego). It was a bold move and there was much celebration when it came in quite a few years ago.

But swapping everything over? Not sure how you'd go about doing it here in Australia...if you could at all.

Because replacing the tatty old rusty body on your classic, say, Mustang, with a brand new high strength steel one is a bad idea and must be discouraged...
Old 01-07-2015, 10:17 AM   #12
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Well, this is impressive:
Quote:
Tom Scarpello

Founder and Chief Revologist
Tom is probably best known for his time with Ford Motor Company, where he ran the Special Vehicle Team from 1998 to 2004. Tom’s diverse background includes manufacturing, marketing, sales, and product planning for two OEMs in four different countries. Tom restored his first Mustang in 1982 and has built, modified, and raced many types of cars since then. Tom built his first Mustang restomod in 1993, fitting a 5.0L EFI from a 1992 Mustang LX into a 1966 Mustang convertible, and he has been tinkering with modern technology in classic Mustangs ever since.
Source: http://revologycars.com/about-us/meet-the-team/

They're located less than 10 miles from my house!

Last edited by Moby Vic; 01-07-2015 at 10:24 AM.
Moby Vic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2015, 11:47 AM   #13
Harrison

Be good if you could buy bare shells or rollers for a reasonable price.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:48 PM   #14
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
In England old car magazines constantly advertise companies making brand new body shells for E-Type Jags, MGB's, Morris Minors, classic Minis, all with known rust spots and weak spots fixed and strengthened. I believe a lot of them come out of factories in Singapore and other Asian places, built to exacting standards for the companies selling them.

They say given the amount of small companies and "blokes in sheds" making repro parts for these cars in England, you could if you wished build a brand new one of these cars from the ground up using all brand new parts. I doubt in Australia they'd let you register one unless you went through the "kit car" route though...must keep us all suckling from the teat of cookie cutter brand new cars and not expose us to the horrible world outside Australia where they treat the car driving public with a little respect and let them drive interesting things...even things they've built in their back shed.

Given the astronomical price of E-Type Jags in particular this would be a financially viable way to own one over there.

And that's not to mention the companies in the USA building brand new body shells for mid 50's Chevs, Camaros, and Mustangs...

So much goodness we're simply not allowed to have here...
Yes, as you say, in the UK you buy a rusty MGB/E Type and re-shell it, transfer the VIN legally and take it to a car show. No one bats an eyelid. Here you were the outlawed re-shelling in 2006.
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2015, 04:24 PM   #15
Kingsley
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Would the legalities also be designed to stop people who may be tempted to purchase a unrepairable basket case as well as a new shell and transfer the chassis number etc to the new shell thus rebirthing the basket case?
Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2015, 04:53 PM   #16
Harrison

As long as it's disclosed in the sale I don't see a problem.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:01 PM   #17
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
As long as it's disclosed in the sale I don't see a problem.
You don't see the problem in rebirthing cars? Just let me knick down to the wreckers, be back soon.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2015, 06:23 PM   #18
Rico 110s
Falcon follower

If this is lisensed by Ford then it would have to be treated the same as any other it would need to meet what ever design rules set in the US

The Revology Mustang replica features an all-new steel body, produced by Dynacorn and licensed by Ford. Revology makes several proprietary changes to the body in order to integrate the modern components. “We started with a licensed original body because it is authentic,” says Scarpello. “You can literally unbolt a piece from a Revology Mustang replica and bolt it to an original Mustang and it will fit.
Rico 110s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2015, 06:24 PM   #19
Rico 110s
Falcon follower

If this is licensed by Ford then it would have to be treated the same as any other current car sold in the US, it would need to meet what ever design rules set in the US as quoted from Gearhead:

The Revology Mustang replica features an all-new steel body, produced by Dynacorn and licensed by Ford. Revology makes several proprietary changes to the body in order to integrate the modern components. “We started with a licensed original body because it is authentic,” says Scarpello. “You can literally unbolt a piece from a Revology Mustang replica and bolt it to an original Mustang and it will fit.
Rico 110s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post