Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-09-2015, 12:18 PM   #1
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 2.1 million Audi's have cheating software

Audi say 2.1 million Euro 5 engines have the SW.
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2015, 01:26 PM   #2
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2.1 million Audi's have cheating software

So what is the total amount of cars with the effected engines ??? just trying to get an idea how much the repair alone is going to cost to rectify as a total figure, so just pulling a bull**** figure out of the air, say it costs 50 bucks a car to make adjustment to the software and check its doing the job regarding total emissions ....... im thinking they are going to need more money ?
Another question mark , will the authorities allow these company's to do the appropriate work on the effected vehicles and take their word that emissions are now correct................ or will they have to be tested separately by a gov authority ???
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2015, 01:29 PM   #3
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

77 billion U.S been mentioned
This user likes this post:
Old 29-09-2015, 01:45 PM   #4
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But do owners actually want their cars fixed?

If they told me to bring my car in, but after the fix it will have slightly less power, higher fuel consumption, ...but its cleaner. I'd tell em to get stuffed.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 29-09-2015, 02:11 PM   #5
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post

If they told me to bring my car in, but after the fix it will have slightly less power, higher fuel consumption, ...but its cleaner. I'd tell em to get stuffed.
Then they'll put you off the road.
Old 29-09-2015, 02:15 PM   #6
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Good point , but i would say they would not have a lot of say in the matter, if by chance you refused a recall to have said work done and then by chance got pulled up for an emission test, what would the fine be ?

Another scenario, you put your car in for a regular service, im thinking due to legal stuff ....... the dealer will automatically do the software fix or take the chance of a big fine ? ..... i some how doubt it.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2015, 02:18 PM   #7
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
Another question mark , will the authorities allow these company's to do the appropriate work on the effected vehicles and take their word that emissions are now correct................ or will they have to be tested separately by a gov authority ???
Would you trust them? I would say (at least in California) that they would want proof that its been done properly.

Quote:

Depends on how the government wants to police it.
Old 29-09-2015, 02:25 PM   #8
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:

And then you have another issue where the cars advertised fuel consumption and power figures are now wrong. Which you have been sold something under false pretences. You should be able to return for a refund imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-09-2015, 02:26 PM   #9
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And 1.2 million Skoda diesels. Haven't heard from Seat yet.
Old 29-09-2015, 02:37 PM   #10
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveR6 View Post
And then you have another issue where the cars advertised fuel consumption and power figures are now wrong. Which you have been sold something under false pretences. You should be able to return for a refund imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Could have returned my Territory then, only way to get advertised fuel consumption is if I coasted down a hill in neutral.

Holden need to give GTs owners their money back too...for not providing quoted power
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2015, 07:27 PM   #11
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Amazing how car companies crow on about the cost benefits by using common parts/powertrains/platforms across multiple models and brands. Hell Skoda proudly advertise their vehicle have VW group engineering.

All fine and dandy until something stuffs up and suddenly recalls become so massive the money saved is burnt fixing problems. Takata airbags, GM ignition barrels...................
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2015, 07:39 PM   #12
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Vorsprung durch shadenfreude.
Old 29-09-2015, 08:34 PM   #13
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Vorsprung durch shadenfreude.
Das awful
This user likes this post:
Old 30-09-2015, 04:36 PM   #14
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Amazing how car companies crow on about the cost benefits by using common parts/powertrains/platforms across multiple models and brands. Hell Skoda proudly advertise their vehicle have VW group engineering.

All fine and dandy until something stuffs up and suddenly recalls become so massive the money saved is burnt fixing problems. Takata airbags, GM ignition barrels...................
The positives would outweigh the negatives. When you think about the amount of parts that go into a car stuff happens. The question is when it was knows and what action has been taken to address it.