Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-11-2015, 01:57 PM   #1
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Default 2016 Audi RS3 review: the hot hatch supercar slayer

Quote:
2016 Audi RS3 review: the hot hatch supercar slayer

25 November, 2015

The RS3 is a performance monster with hatch practicality.

Harry Tucker
news.com.au

TECHNOLOGY is amazing. You only need to look back 10 years ago at supercars of the time, legends such as the Ferrari 360 or the V8 Audi R8. These cars were, and still are performance monsters, they’re supercars that kids poster on their wall.

These cars with their 4.4 second 0-100 sprint time set you back up to $400,000 when they were released, but now, for less than the price of a Toyota LandCruiser, you can buy a car that’s even quicker.

Audi’s RS3 is the latest in a new line of ‘hyper hatches’, where the recipe is to chuck as much power as you can into the bonnet of a hatchback and tack on some other go-fast bits so it can go around corners at speeds that break the laws of physics. The RS3’s take on this is an absolute crack of a turbocharged 2.5-litre five-cylinder engine that puts out 270kW of power and 465Nm of torque. It puts all that power down through a 7-speed dual-clutch gearbox and Quattro all-wheel drive that helps it to propel from 0-100km/h in 4.3-seconds. Faster than a V8 Audi R8, and faster than a Ferrari 360. That’s one bloody quick hatchback.

Thanks to its odd number of cylinders and how the car activates them, the RS3 even has a sound to match. When you turn it on, the car roars to life, waking up anyone sleeping within a 5km radius with a mixture of exhaust growls and grin-inducing pops and crackles.

Perfect for fanging the back roads after dropping the kids off. Source: Supplied

That same aural enjoyment continues when you’re driving. Flatten the throttle to hear it belt out a glorious five-cylinder tune and crackle away on up-shifts. It’s a different sound though, it’s not a deep burble like a V8 or a raspy sound of a screaming four-cylinder, it’s kind of a mixture of both and might just be my favourite sounding car this side of a Lexus LFA. It could even be too intoxicating of a sound - you’ll soon find yourself addicted with the temptation to be flooring it at every point possible.

But in those situations that you can actually plant your foot and drive it with some gusto, the RS3 is spectacular. The Quattro system gives you ample amounts of grip, so much so that you would have to significantly go out of your way to lose it around a bend. The amount of pace you can take through the corner is simply staggering, with precise and well weighted steering helping you to point it into the next corner.

Once you’re done with your fun, you can flick back out of dynamic and sport modes into comfort and the car is transformed into something much more acceptable for a daily driver. The exhaust flaps close to near silence, and if you have the optional Audi RS performance pack, the magnetic ride suspensions softens the car right up. Trust me, if you want to be using this as a daily driver, you’ll want to spend that extra $6490 on the performance package which also includes bigger wheels.

In terms of fuel usage, Audi claims it uses 8.1 litres of premium per 100km, but under our week of mixed use which included city driving, highway driven and some spirited runs, we finished with 10.2 litres per 100km. It’s not exactly the most economical, but as far as true performance cars go it’s definitely better than lot of others.

Nice, but could be nicer. Source: Supplied

On the inside it’s a typical quality Audi affair. Leather all around, with a well laid out centre console and screen that pops up on top of the dash. While it’s certainly not bad, as an RS model you’re left wanting a little bit more, with only special seats setting it apart from the cheaper S3. Being a 2016 Audi model, it would have also been nice to see the inclusion of Audi’s Virtual Cockpit digital dashboard as seen on the new TT, R8 and Q7. The Audi Connect infotainment system also still uses the German company’s proprietary adaptor to plug your phone in, which is frankly unacceptable in today’s cars, especially in something pushing $100k on road.

But in the end, you’re not exactly buying a car like the RS3 for its digital entertainment, you’re doing so for the driving pleasure. And for $78,990, you’re not going to find anything much faster outside of it and its German rival, the Mercedes-Benz A45 AMG.

Hatchbacks are officially supercar slayers and it is glorious.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/in...ea88c17401c4&=
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2015, 02:52 PM   #2
BA Supa Pursuit

Default Re: 2016 Audi RS3 review: the hot hatch supercar slayer

Driven a relatives S3 sedan on a few occasions. Impressive car for the money .

AU XR8 sedan, Tickford optioned body kit & wheels, Galaxy blue, auto, pedders suspension, mild cam, headers, full system. (Weekend ride)

Previous Fords:

BA mk2 FPV Super Pursuit, manual, Mercury, Herrod cams, shaker, di-fillipo system.

BA mk1 XR8 sedan, auto, silhouette, leather, premium sound, 18" speedy wheels, cat back system.

SX Territory, silhouette, 7 seats RWD.
BA Supa Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2015, 03:02 PM   #3
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Want!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-11-2015, 03:35 PM   #4
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

So cool, really loving some of Audis cars at the moment.
Old 25-11-2015, 03:57 PM   #5
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Its still alot of money for a hatch no matter how fast it is. I think I would have it over the Merc just for the noise it would make.

But is it $30k better than a Focus RS?

Its probably more interesting that hatches are now so quick, and in most cases the cheapest of that companies line up. Its getting harder for them to push all the other sports cars from a pure performance perspective.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-11-2015, 04:01 PM   #6
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Its still alot of money for a hatch no matter how fast it is. I think I would have it over the Merc just for the noise it would make.

Its probably more interesting that hatches are now so quick, and in most cases the cheapest of that companies line up. Its getting harder for them to push all the other sports cars from a pure performance perspective.
That's a good point. As far as being quicker its very similar to the Focus RS but at a price premium. Makes you wonder if it's the brand snobs who prefer the Audi over the RS.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 25-11-2015, 04:12 PM   #7
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

I think snobs is the wrong term, as much as just comparing 0-100 times vs price there are other factors. IMO some people the Audi will float there boat so if the can afford it, it will just get financed and if they like the focus they will get that and save themselves the coin. At the end of the day allot of the people buy these performance hatches because some look more appealing to them or they like a badge I mean my blood is blue I can appreciate the audi but I would go the RS cause I love Ford.

And this is what it means to be human and different to one another
Old 25-11-2015, 04:18 PM   #8
BA Supa Pursuit

Quote:

Just off the top of my head, Automatic trans, magnetic ride control, audi refinement just to name a couple. The S3 I drove is one of those cars your grandmother could drive without having any idea what it is capable of. Put it in dynamic mode, feel it squat and the exhaust note come to life. I guess we won't know for sure until someone does a head to head.

AU XR8 sedan, Tickford optioned body kit & wheels, Galaxy blue, auto, pedders suspension, mild cam, headers, full system. (Weekend ride)

Previous Fords:

BA mk2 FPV Super Pursuit, manual, Mercury, Herrod cams, shaker, di-fillipo system.

BA mk1 XR8 sedan, auto, silhouette, leather, premium sound, 18" speedy wheels, cat back system.

SX Territory, silhouette, 7 seats RWD.
BA Supa Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2015, 04:24 PM   #9
99AUXR
Brad

I really think one of the areas this may win over the focus is the auto. If I wanted a hot hatch it would be my 'GFs Car' and she would need to learn to drive a manual so thats kind of a hard sell for me. This though

And this will consistently be quick whereas 9/10 the bloke in the manual RS will get chopped easily due to gear changes.
Old 25-11-2015, 04:28 PM   #10
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:

Performance wise, probably not, but as a prestige hot hatch, probably.
There is more to the Audi than just on paper, the technology, the quality inside and out (does this model have carbon fibre panels like the previous?) and obviously adding to that price the Australian tax of just cause we can.

I'd get it just for the 5 cylinder engine. To be honest I'd have both the Ford and the Audi. Really no functional compromises for them both.
Old 25-11-2015, 04:33 PM   #11
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

No different than a HSV / SC XR8 versus C63 / M3 / RS6 et al.

A Merc / Audi / BMW is more expensive than Ford / Holden.

RS3 would be a nice rig to punt to work as a daily.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-11-2015, 04:33 PM   #12
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

The more popular these hot hatches become the more the other manufacturers will get involved and more the likelihood there will be good examples available at lower prices.

I love the idea of these things as second car alternative to large sedans and SUV’s.

Bring them on and get more of these hatches on the road I say as they can become the new fun weekenders now that many V8’s are starting to price themselves out of the market.

I’m also noticing more and more cars are starting to get the iPad look for the centre screen for which Mercedes-Benz was laughed at just a couple of years back.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2015, 04:37 PM   #13
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can you get a Focus RS in Auto? I thought it ws manual only?

Any daily for Sydney traffic would need to be Auto.
Old 25-11-2015, 04:46 PM   #14
99AUXR
Brad

Correct, manual only.
Old 25-11-2015, 05:40 PM   #15
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Any daily for Sydney traffic would need to be Auto.
I wouldn't think the types of clutches on these sorts of cars would be that big of a deal.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2015, 06:00 PM   #16
Uwish

100k with a couple of options for a hatch.
Uwish is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2015, 08:09 PM   #17
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO View Post
I wouldn't think the types of clutches on these sorts of cars would be that big of a deal.
I'm lazy, any manual clutch in stop start Sydney traffic is a big deal.

Would not entertain manual daily.

Weekender, manual all the way.
Old 25-11-2015, 11:25 PM   #18
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

It would be interesting to see a comparison with the A45, and more interesting again if BMW came out with a 1-series competitor (new 1M?). Stepping down a rung the Golf R32 is closer in concept but lacks power, but as mentioned the manual box will slow down the RS; on the other hand it is a differentiator in the driving experience that some will prefer.

I've ridden in the A45 including on the track, they are pretty quick (faster than an FPV although perhaps not the Miami) but as a passenger at least not that engaging. Maybe the 5-cyl noise would help.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2015, 06:47 AM   #19
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute View Post

I've ridden in the A45 including on the track, they are pretty quick (faster than an FPV although perhaps not the Miami) but as a passenger at least not that engaging. Maybe the 5-cyl noise would help.

Road tests generally have SC 5.0 0-100 at 5.0 sec and A45 at 4.6, doesn't sound much but that makes the A45 alot faster.

An FPV FG F6 is sub 5 second 0-100, the 6T has always been the best performer in the the FPV range.
Old 26-11-2015, 11:12 AM   #20
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Road tests generally have SC 5.0 0-100 at 5.0 sec and A45 at 4.6, doesn't sound much but that makes the A45 alot faster.

An FPV FG F6 is sub 5 second 0-100, the 6T has always been the best performer in the the FPV range.
That's Aurion territory

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 26-11-2015, 11:31 AM   #21
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Stick a DCT gearbox in an FPV and it would do big numbers too. I'd rather an RS or 695 Biposto.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2015, 11:44 AM   #22
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
I'd get it just for the 5 cylinder engine. To be honest I'd have both the Ford and the Audi. Really no functional compromises for them both.
Agreed on both counts, but the bit in bold is one big reason why id buy one over the RS if money was no option. Have a look at Audi TTRS/RS3 on youtube with Milltek, makes me funny in the pants.
3 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2015, 10:16 AM   #23
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:

I was referring to lap times. The A45 was up around the 210 mark at the end of the straights at Sandown without getting too adventurous in the braking zones, I can't remember exactly what the F6 did but perhaps a touch slower. I am fairly sure the A45 was a couple of seconds per lap faster even though the F6 had R compound tyres.

Isn't the alloy block, lower deck height Miami engine basically the same weight as the turbo six?

Getting back to the Audi, the RS3 apparently runs just under 20 psi boost, compared to the A45 at about 28 psi and the Focus RS 23psi, which shows the effect of the extra displacement. Agreed on the sound, the Audi 5 cylinder warble is fantastic.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2015, 04:40 PM   #24
chopstar87
The Original ChopstaR

Quote:

Merc has now improved on the 4.6 with the refresh... its down to 4.2secs these days...

I have driven the older A45.. brilliant little pocket rocket!

May 2006 – October 2006: 2002 Proton Persona
October 2006 – July 2013: 2004 BA Ford Falcon XR6 (Blueprint – 4 speed Auto – Premium Audio - No Tracton Control )
July 2013 - ???: 2013 Chrysler 300c Luxury (Bright white – Panoramic Sunroof – 19 speaker 900 watt Harmon/Kardon stereo)
November 2013 - ???: 2013 Ford Focus Sport (the missus's car, white, manual)
chopstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2015, 07:32 PM   #25
Mowdit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
Part of the reason why we will probably keep our XR5
That 5cyl noise puts a smile on our dial every time
Old 28-11-2015, 09:26 PM   #26
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowdit View Post
Part of the reason why we will probably keep our XR5
That 5cyl noise puts a smile on our dial every time
I had a flame thrower ride in a MK II Focus RS about a year ago. The bark from that 5 potter is still imprinted on my brain.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2015, 09:47 PM   #27
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

What a nice car!, Audi doesn't seem to make ugly cars or bad performers that's for sure
Old 29-11-2015, 08:19 AM   #28
Sioso
irregular member

I was driving up a back road near home a couple of weeks ago and a cyclist in his 50's or 60's waves me over and said he liked my Golf R he then mentioned he has just ordered a new RS3 - $105K on the road!
I think it's a great car but don't think I could part with that much for it, especially when it hasn't yet proven to be any quicker than a Golf R around a track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3jWVTKYcP0
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2015, 02:29 PM   #29
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Audi RS3 4.3
Focus RS 4.6
Merc A45 4.2
Tesla Model X soccer mum kid hauler 3.3
lol
Old 29-11-2015, 02:51 PM   #30
99AUXR
Brad

Firstly its an SUV
Secondly from what I have seen pricing is set to be 150-200k in Australia.
Thirdly not all local substations support the charging.
Lastly it has no sound, these hatches sound so TOUGH!
lol