Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-02-2017, 11:00 PM   #1
87xfdriver

Default Supercheap Auto, not so cheap anymore?

Past few months pricing bits and pieces I've needed for various projects Supercheap on all occasions has come up fair bit dearer than Repco or Autobarn (view on catalogueau.com). They seem to have select bargains every now and then though, but today I went in to see if they could match a price on some ignition leads that in an eBay store were $30, they had them for $56 and said "no" they couldn't do it. I suppose alot of tinkerers just go in there and pay whatever. I think that's probably what their market is rather than people who do alot of automotive work with fair amount of experience.
Anyone else notice they're pretty expensive now?
Old 10-02-2017, 11:31 PM   #2
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Supercheap Auto, not so cheap anymore?

Found this quite a lot with them. They had my preferred oil on sale the other week, so I went in there (3 times....damn "limit 2 per customer" crap). Checked out filters & wiper blades & left scratching my head.

Went down the road to an outlet that's part of a smaller chain, less well known, and got the same filters for nearly half what supercheap wanted - and they weren't on sale either. Plus they had 3 car-guys working the counter, who knew what filters were needed for that model, and grabbed them off the shelf. I'd be happy to pay more for that sort of knowledge & service - but not to some pimply teenager at S/C who gives blank looks...

I also found the same price discrepancy some 15 (maybe more) years ago with Nolathane bushes - Repco were cheaper than Supercheap (and S/C hadn't been going long) for the same bushes - some $150 difference on $500 worth of bushes (basically the whole car).

S/C are cheap on their specials, and the commodity rubbish they flog, but on 'real parts' they are often worse, sometimes far worse than their competitors.
The average weekend-warrior DIY guy sucked in by the name probably doesn't ever visit another shop to ever compare.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-02-2017, 11:41 PM   #3
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They're not so cheap anymore but they're still crap.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2017, 11:50 PM   #4
chizzy86

Was going to start the same thread actually when I saw the price of ATF at my local SCA
chizzy86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2017, 11:54 PM   #5
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I visit my local Repco instead, seems to have much better sales too
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2017, 12:18 AM   #6
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

I've found Bursons Auto Part stores to be the most expensive for parts and tools.

Repco to be the best stocked in general for spare parts, and good pricing, especially with the extra discount for RACV and other auto club members which can be 20% or more across their range.

Autobarn generally more expensive than Supercheap, but stocking a better quality range of accessories.

I find Supercheap the best value in car care products though, and signing up as a "Club Plus member" does pay dividends in extra credit dollars to spend in store.

I think in a 12 month period I've received over $150 in credit dollars which is credited to your card every month.

They also do seem to keep their promise that if the product you've purchased goes on special within two weeks, they will credit the difference direct to your Club Card.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2017, 12:41 AM   #7
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I bought oil for the GTF there. Special order, 20 litres of 5W-20 Edge... $355!!

Same things from Autobarn, $249... Guess where I started shopping.

I guess it costs money to sponsor a race team and a race event, and someone has to pay for it!
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2017, 01:12 AM   #8
paulie

Supercheap are great if you want to buy camping gear or some gardening equipment. ........

Pretty sad..... bigger selection of garden tools than spanners etc.
paulie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2017, 01:27 AM   #9
barrys123
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have two veh and I just buy ahead when oils, filters etc are on special as I only buy fully synthetic, so where ever Supercheap, Repco, Autobahn & sometimes Auto One. Parts mainly stick to OEM.
barrys123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2017, 07:09 AM   #10
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

I use them fairly often because there close by, the young girl at the local handed me a 10% trade card one day which helps out.

I don't think there's an issue with them giving those out, wouldn't hurt to ask anyway.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2017, 09:22 AM   #11
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Supercrap Autos. These big mobs are part of why we are seeing local manufacturing go, not to mention the lack of service. And by service I mean having someone behind the counter who knows what they are talking about.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2017, 09:24 AM   #12
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
Yeah I visit my local Repco instead, seems to have much better sales too
Yep - me too. Get an NRMA discount at Repco as well.
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2017, 09:39 AM   #13
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Repco FTW!
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2017, 09:59 AM   #14
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had to buy a new cranking battery for my daily. At North Parramatta Repco and SC are next to each other. SC had the same battery cheaper so I purchased it there. Few days later I got an email saying I had credit on my SC member card, like around $30 odd dollars. Guess the battery went on sale after I made my purchase.
MDS69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2017, 10:15 AM   #15
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sca are only good for tyreshine and degreaser. Repco here are useless for parts and dumb sales people. I found a small independent store in town and have been using them for years. With edelbrock, msd, holley and nitrous express gear they are cheaper than eBay! Helps that the two owners run some pretty serious race cars. Bursons are rude, expensive and dumb. Rude little ***** wouldn't return a broken dissy I bought from there once for an clevo. The rotor wasn't spinning at all. Still insisted he talk to the 'auto elec that fitted it'. I gave him the number of my auto elec mate, he called him in front of me to make sure it was the dissy that was broken. Screw bursons. Independents are best, especially if you want good quality gear!
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2017, 10:22 AM   #16
paulie

Super**** offer a code reading service for obd2.
Problem is half the dicks that do it for the customers are like 14-15yo trenagers without a clue.

They clear what ever codes are on the system.
Then the customer comes in to a workshop with a piece of paper and a code (usually wrong) and wants you to fix it.

I send them back to Super****
Want your car fixed/diagnosed. Bring it straight to a workshop.

Want gardening equipment and smelly trees. Go to super****.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:10 AM   #17
.:4:.
Kicking back

Supercheap is only any good when man shopping. When you walk in go straight to the thing you want, buy it disregarding the price and leave. It's not like going to a place like robbo's who has a parts interpreter on the desk. It's the car equivalent of bunnings. Heaps of stuff, but no staff member knows what anything does. I prefer repco, because they atleast look things up when they don't know the answer. Pricing may be a bit hit and miss, but the service is better. You can't beat the independents for service though. I don't mind spending a bit more if I'm confident that the sales person knows their stuff.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2017, 11:31 AM   #18
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day all , I know they're not directly retail in this context but from personal experience twice this mob seem to have people answering queries really quickly and dispatch very fast.. I done business with them and have nothing but praise for their work..Their parts are genuine too and saved me a lot of frustration if I'd gone to a dealership..http://stores.ebay.com.au/Adelaide-Parts.. Re Supercheap...I needed a coil for my little run around Honda Accord.. I spoke to two different sales guys and walked out still not sure so I left it for the local servo to deal with...Still like to browse for generic stuff though..Cheers Rod...
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2017, 11:39 AM   #19
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

SuperCheap only good when they have their 20% off storewide sales.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2017, 11:45 AM   #20
b2tf
not here much anymore

I worked for Autobarn for around 9 years and we often found that even off the shelf without any haggling SC were more expensive than our prices. Spose the fact that AB has a team of people who literally spend all day checking their prices helps.

Burson is by far the most expensive for off the shelf purchases but they do have the better pricing in most cases for workshop consumables like filters and plugs. Having said that, Burson has just bought Autobarn so they are now all owned by the same group. That group also owns Mitre 10 and IGA.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:54 AM   #21
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Ironic that this should come up, a mate just called in after visiting Supercheap for a new trailer plug for the trailer he is restoring.
He came away with the same opinion after pricing some no brand plug at almost $20, then getting and ARK brand item from Bunnings for $8.

Superexpensive rubbish it should be rebranded.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2017, 12:03 PM   #22
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Ironic that this should come up, a mate just called in after visiting Supercheap for a new trailer plug for the trailer he is restoring.
He came away with the same opinion after pricing some no brand plug at almost $20, then getting and ARK brand item from Bunnings for $8.

Superexpensive rubbish it should be rebranded.
I find bcf are pretty well priced for trailer parts.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2017, 12:15 PM   #23
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've found Burson's helpful with service but their prices are extremely high. I'm talking double the price of the same parts found elsewhere.
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2017, 12:26 PM   #24
OzriderXR8

I've found over the last few months working on the XR8 and Mini that SCA home brand stuff may be cheaper but is definitely cheaper quality as well. e.g. Primer and prep stuff. For a small amount extra you get quality stuff elsewhere.

I recently bought one of their compressors which in itself is ok but the attachments, hoses and tools are just garbage, I've had to return a grinder and sander as they lasted 10 minutes.

My local Autobarn is by far the best and if you use the 20% discount shopper dockets it makes it all worthwhile.

AUII XR8 200KW
FG MK2 XR6
Mini 850
Rover P5 3 Litre Mk1
OzriderXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2017, 01:19 PM   #25
Itsme
Experienced Member

I never ever thought Supercheap was cheap at all, their pricing always reflected on the quality of products being sold in their stores, you know the old saying you only get what you paid for.

Cheers.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2017, 01:28 PM   #26
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So you compared their price to a price on eBay? You really think a shop paying rent, staff, paying tax can match eBay prices...seriously, wtf?

Then claim they arr no good for mechanics.

Here's a news flash, no mechanic is sourcing parts at supercheap auto, or eBay.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2017, 01:49 PM   #27
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Re: Supercheap Auto, not so cheap anymore?

Hi all re Supercheap I have been using them on and off for about 30 years in Brisbane but they have gone from a spare parts shop to an accesories shop
all right if you want smelly stuff anyway re prices
about ten years back I went in and asked about wheel bearings for my AU Fairmont and was told $120 per side I said dont you mean $30 a side like old bearings I didnt know about the new style Ford ones so I said no I went to bearing sevices and paid $40 a side even Q Ford were only $80 a side
befor that I bought a battery for an LC Torana $100 it came with a 12 month warranty or your money back sounded good so I bought it after about 3 weeks it died so I took it back and all sorts of drama the kid told me
he went to "battery school" and it was only made for a six cylinder Holden so I cracked up and said what do you think a Torana is talked to the manager and got it sorted but never bought a battery there again not impressed
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2017, 01:56 PM   #28
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
I find bcf are pretty well priced for trailer parts.
Strange that as SCA and BCF have the same parent company.
MDS69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2017, 02:11 PM   #29
paulie

Try buying something you find on sca ebay site.

C#nts will list an item for a good/cheap price. Take your cash then call you to explain its actually not in stock.
-but! They can get it for you from a "different supplier" only problen is its 4× the price......

They then relist the item for sale at same price you tried buying it for......

F#cking scammers.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:08 PM   #30
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie View Post
Try buying something you find on sca ebay site.

C#nts will list an item for a good/cheap price. Take your cash then call you to explain its actually not in stock.
-but! They can get it for you from a "different supplier" only problen is its 4× the price......

They then relist the item for sale at same price you tried buying it for......

F#cking scammers.
Just like their wheel dress rims I wanted from their website. so much dearer in store.
Their load binders they sell are cheap rubbish too.
Not much help for you car guys but I buy a heap of parts for the trucks from hi-way truck accessories. Even PACCAR (Kenworth truck parts) I've found Toledo tools cheaper than SCA and Repco.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post