Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-03-2017, 06:43 PM   #1
zabatron

Default Uber

Anyone here drive/work for Uber?Any thoughts/opinions/experiences greatly appreciated.
zabatron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2017, 08:58 PM   #2
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Default Re: Uber

Would like to know too. How does the application process work and is it all purely online ? What's uber black and can you choose what type of motor vehicle you wish to be picked up in ?
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2017, 09:42 PM   #3
flightstrike

A mate of mine recently started driving for them. Cost him around $2k by the time he got on the road. That was in a pretty modern sedan.

He had to change his plates to "Commercial/Limosine", change his insurance and the car had to go over the pits a few times (different inspections, the car is pretty much new).

Took around 2 months or so.

From my experience, you choose black or x. The actual car that rocks up is a lottery.

2010 FG XR6 Ute

Last edited by flightstrike; 31-03-2017 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Spelling... no doubt I've missed more.
flightstrike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2017, 08:31 PM   #4
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Each state has different rules...contact your transport department.
Most states have legalised it and have started regulating it at last, it is not a free for all anymore, there are rules, licenses and regulations now.
As a customer its cheap until something goes wrong, or you get surged or cancelled.
As a part time "second job" driver you are basically just transferring the value of your car to your bank account slowly.
You will not get rich doing this...do it full time and drive 5 x 12 hour shifts like a taxi driver you will make wages like a taxi driver does...after accounting for ubers chunk, gst, tax, insurance, fuel, depreciation, car replacement, breakdowns, accidents.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2017, 09:13 PM   #5
rjk74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://gawker.com/ubers-labor-free-f...ver-1746680140
In the long run they're aiming for fully autonomous cars and ditching drivers altogether which is still a long way off. It will be interesting to see weather that happens they've had a bit of bad publicity lately and lost a crap load of money in the last year aswell.
rjk74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2017, 11:30 PM   #6
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I caught a couple of Ubers last night. Impossibly cheap, I can't figure out how the drivers are making any money.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2017, 11:30 PM   #7
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I caught a couple of Ubers last night. Impossibly cheap, I can't figure out how the drivers are making any money.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2017, 11:54 PM   #8
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

UBER rules for consumers. The general taxi industry will die a slow death...........

Its that way in Perth anyrate,

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2017, 01:21 AM   #9
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
UBER rules for consumers. The general taxi industry will die a slow death...........

Its that way in Perth anyrate,
I have a family member who owns a few cabs who likes to go off about Uber as much as possible... My response has always been the same... This is a Customer Service industry.. If people can get better service for the same/similar cost then of course they will go with that other service. Cabbies have gotten complacent because they didn't really have any competitors... it didn't matter that the drivers had no idea where they where going, where rude/spoke on the phone the whole trip or that the cabs weren't very well kept/looked after.. who else where we going to use?? With Uber around we, as consumers, now have a viable other option with better service.

The cabbies should have taken the whole Uber thing as an opportunity to better the industry and compete with Uber.. But no, they bitch and moan about it instead...

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2017, 09:17 AM   #10
josh1990
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Used Uber and Lyft on our honeymoon in the USA. ****ing brilliant and cheap, no stinky cabs (or drivers) and they were all American drivers. Cab drivers there are Pricks, fare = $9, you give $20 they want to keep change as a tip. Uber and Lyft all paid via the app with option to tip. Having ridden in Melbourne taxis, I'd rather walk. So I'm looking forward to using uber there
Old 02-04-2017, 10:51 AM   #11
OzriderXR8

Biggest issue in Vic is the fact that the industry was so tightly regulated to cut out the cowboy operators with dodgy cars, licences, insurance etc that a licence to operate a cab cost a fortune. Now Uber comes along with no regulated anything from what I can see and is making the gov licence worthless.

Some businesses are now millions out of pocket. One operator was in the news recently who paid $300k each for her licences and their now worth almost half as the government deregulates to allow the likes of Uber.

I'm all for free trade and choice but the same rules should apply to everyone and if the government changes the rules to allow it they should reimburse the people they took big buckets of cash off for a licence.

PS. If you think Uber is going to improve the standards of drivers think again, we have a house in our street with 3 'New Australian' families living in it, between them they have 4 Uber cars. Between then maybe you could get enough English to make a decent sentence.

AUII XR8 200KW
FG MK2 XR6
Mini 850
Rover P5 3 Litre Mk1
OzriderXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2017, 02:41 PM   #12
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Transport was regulated in ALL states for public safety and that costs money.

Traditional taxis are the ONLY public transport model NOT subsidised by the government.
Those high license values and the stamp duty paid on them help to pay for your buses and trains, and the elderly and disabled transport.
That is now stopping.

Uber is subsidised by Uber and the drivers who are reverse mortgaging their cars.
You as a customer are paying about 40% of the real cost...if its not surging.
25% of every little fare is sent untaxed out of Australia to make a few Americans richer.
You are being tracked everywhere and your data is onsold for more money.
And we wont mention the pollution, traffic accidents, insurance scamming and congestion all these extra vehicles are causing...which EVERYBODY pays for.

Most people have no sympathy for rich taxi owners, but those people worked hard for decades in most cases to get there while abiding by the law, paying taxes, spending in the local area on mechanics, shops etc and now the govt just destroys their assets and super...when the govt takes your house and super and hands it to an overseas multinational because consumers wanted cheaper plumbers and doctors etc your view may change.
4 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2017, 03:07 PM   #13
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

That may well be right Jastel.
But wtf, they know everything you do for years - those people registering for stupid shop a dockets from coles/wollies/cosco/aldi etcetc and other silly points incentive stuff the sheep think they are a hopeful win/gain - this data is collated of every single persons buying habits/what/when/where....not much new on that just as uber re data.

Well I do feel sorry for the cab industry BUT without competition for so so so long they got complacent. In this case bugger them !
I did support them alot - I do alot of business travel and have caught cabs for years from home to airport and back. Sometimes even silver service.
Another shonk part of the industry, these drivers then make use of 2-3 more mobiles getting jobs on the side and then offer you their number and say just call/sms I will have a driver set up for you for your pick up and return.
Bloody shonks as I said.
I was very very reluctant down loading uber BUT upon my sons persistance on saving a bomb and that the service he's had is spot on I finally did it not long ago.
I can't knock them, the service is 2nd to none, I see on my mobile how far away they are.
I see the type of car, the number plate, the drivers name !
I'm greetted by my first name upon getting in the car.
Every car has been late model and clean !
They find quicker routes here and there due to sydney traffic, they ask first is it ok.
The best thing - my cab bills have dropped by up to 40% thankyou very much.
I can get copies of receipts from my app all very good.
Those poor rich cab drivers with countless plates should be sticking it up their own Industry top shots asking why haven't you/we come up with a more up to date service for this day and age. Between them both they have let the wolf in, their fault.
Its either ship up or ship out.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2017, 03:35 PM   #14
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post
I have a family member who owns a few cabs who likes to go off about Uber as much as possible... My response has always been the same... This is a Customer Service industry.. If people can get better service for the same/similar cost then of course they will go with that other service. Cabbies have gotten complacent because they didn't really have any competitors... it didn't matter that the drivers had no idea where they where going, where rude/spoke on the phone the whole trip or that the cabs weren't very well kept/looked after.. who else where we going to use?? With Uber around we, as consumers, now have a viable other option with better service.

The cabbies should have taken the whole Uber thing as an opportunity to better the industry and compete with Uber.. But no, they bitch and moan about it instead...
I don't disagree with you but.....

The State governments regulated the crap out of the industry from the mid 90s on.

The reason taxi operators complain is that they have no room to compete the regulations must be adhered too. For instance fares are set by the regulator and drivers used to have to pass an onerous knowledge test.

Regulation change is now occurring forced by Uber ignoring the regulations but we have lost a lot of market share and maybe taxis will die.

The question you should ask yourself is that if government regulations delivered such a poor service for the consumer what else is making consumers pay through the nose due to regulation.

When governments say they will fix something get afraid because 90% of the time unintended consequences through government decisions created the problem in the first place.

FTE's 40% saving is due to how the industry has developed over time with government regulations being the framework used. Basically, Uber drivers are earning around the same as cab drivers on an hourly comparison.

Last edited by zipping; 02-04-2017 at 03:40 PM.
zipping is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2017, 04:52 PM   #15
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I only use a handful of taxis a year, but the last 5 taxi rides I have had have been a much nicer experience than the 5 before that.
Maybe Uber is helping the taxis pick up their game.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2017, 05:53 PM   #16
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Been driving for 3 months now, will fill you in a little later

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2017, 06:43 PM   #17
marty351
Shenanigans..............

marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2017, 07:00 PM   #18
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I considered applying for Uber while unemployed, but suspected I would have had to spend too much money on my car to do so.

As for it killing the taxi industry, the taxi industry was doing a great job of doing that all on their own.

I got sick of drunk drivers, drugged drivers, falling asleep drivers, drivers trying to screw you over by taking longer routes, deliberately going through roadworks, etc.
Cabs just never bloody turning up when you have a plane to catch.

While Uber may not have government regulation, they have their own. Has to be a fairly new car and in good condition (although I have heard in some places they're a bit more lenient when it comes to the car checks), drivers AND passengers are rated, making it safer for both parties.

Never have caught an Uber, but I also stopped taking taxis a long time ago. Was always better to just drive myself out and not drink, and I started getting friends to drop me at the airport instead of taking taxis.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-04-2017, 07:34 PM   #19
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Uber has been shown in many models that the only way they will ever become profitable, is if all existing cab companies go bust. At the current rate, they are burning $2.2 billion a quarter. The only way they can become profitable is if every other cab company goes bust and they can then increase their fare to what is currently being charged by cabs.

I wouldnt want to be an investor in Uber, not for a while to come...
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2017, 07:47 PM   #20
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

In NSW I applied at one of their offices. Rep goes through it with you and they help you with the driver authority card (Sort of like an 'e licence' to drive for Uber issued by the RMS).

Whole process takes 3-4 weeks - mainly waiting for the DAC to be approved.

No out of pocket expenses up front. The DAC costs $45 and they take it out of your first pay cheque.

My car is 2 years old so they need to inspect it same as a green slip. If it was older than 5 years they don't inspect it as they reply on your own green slip (go figure).

You need an ABN and need to be registered for GST (Already have that as a sole trader).

I have specific Uber driver insurance underwritten by Allianz ($110 pm) but Uber DOES NOT require or ask for this. I assume 90% of drivers have Budget Direct or similar and will NOT be covered if they have a prang.

You get 75% of your takings. You can claim all sorts of stuff if you know what you're doing.

I'm driving my own car and do it part time after my full time job. It's a pretty good gig as you work when you want and you soon sus out when and where are the most profitable situations.

If you have a short fuse for BS (rudeness / stupidity / arrogance / ignorance), can't drive in erratic / unpredictable situations, are anal about your cars interior / wear and tear and don't like confrontation then DON'T apply to drive.

You will find it to stressful. People can be sh!t and you are bound to have these sort of passengers on a daily basis.

You also soon learn to have a thick skin. When people annoy me or give me crap I will stop and wait for them to fix their ways. I will now drive off when people decide to 'think' about getting in and I will sooner or later need to stop and kick out a passenger half way through a trip (been close a few times).

Meet some nice people as well. Met 2 girls who not only gave me a $50 tip but took me out to dinner with them and let me chose whatever I wanted.

They have a rider / driver rating system that's a real croc of BS. The driver platform is 90% there in terms of usability but the interface changes all the time.

You use google maps or waze for navigation. I believe IOS users have a Uber sourced navigation option recently offered. You need a decent phone and mobile internet.

You probably go through 7-10mb of data per hour, which is not that bad actually (I don't stream music).

That's about it. Is it worth it? Who knows? All I know is that every week I find several hundred dollars in my account that wouldn't otherwise be there had I not been driving.

Any other specific questions, fire away. Note that there are slightly different rules and requirements in different states from what I understand.

Old 02-04-2017, 07:52 PM   #21
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightstrike View Post
A mate of mine recently started driving for them. Cost him around $2k by the time he got on the road. That was in a pretty modern sedan.

He had to change his plates to "Commercial/Limosine", change his insurance and the car had to go over the pits a few times (different inspections, the car is pretty much new).

Took around 2 months or so.

From my experience, you choose black or x. The actual car that rocks up is a lottery.
What state is this in? Very different to what happens in NSW.

Uber x is generic / basic transport (lottery car). Uber Black is up market. My car is actually 'Uber Black' worthy but I haven't looked into that as yet. Also some conflicting info on what additional requirements are needed (besides the type of vehicle).

Old 02-04-2017, 08:40 PM   #22
flightstrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
What state is this in? Very different to what happens in NSW.

Uber x is generic / basic transport (lottery car). Uber Black is up market. My car is actually 'Uber Black' worthy but I haven't looked into that as yet. Also some conflicting info on what additional requirements are needed (besides the type of vehicle).
Western Australia.

2010 FG XR6 Ute
flightstrike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2017, 08:58 PM   #23
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Have a read on uberpeople.net website or Taxi vs Uber Facebook page and see what the drivers really think of taking you 2 blocks for $4 for their one job per hour...and how much uber really cares about its drivers and riders.

The longer it goes on the more like a taxi both the car and the driver become.

It wont end with uber...multinationals have seen how spineless the govt is and will be moving into other industries soon, destroying full time jobs and replacing them with part time jobs and shipping profits out of the country.

Yellow Festiva, it sounds like you are doing it properly regarding insurance and tax etc and know the pitfalls of the system and dealing with the public as well.
Good Luck.
4 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2017, 09:59 PM   #24
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Good on you Yellow Festiva and all the best.
I had a great driver from the airport Friday in the previous model Mazda6.
Being in Sydney as you as I've mentioned all of my rides have been in late models and in top shape and clean.
The guy on Friday loved this gig, happy as what uber's cut is, has been making some dollars he mentioned.
Loves the flexibility - works great for him.

Jastel, name one Industry where all involved are happy. NONE, there will always be people who are never satisfied, human trait.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2017, 11:25 PM   #25
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
Uber has been shown in many models that the only way they will ever become profitable, is if all existing cab companies go bust. At the current rate, they are burning $2.2 billion a quarter. The only way they can become profitable is if every other cab company goes bust and they can then increase their fare to what is currently being charged by cabs.

I wouldnt want to be an investor in Uber, not for a while to come...
Interesting observation, wonder how it all works. Apparently it is all too easy to rort Uber for some quick cash, there are tools and methods on the dark web to pull it off.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2017, 10:22 AM   #26
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Interesting observation, wonder how it all works. Apparently it is all too easy to rort Uber for some quick cash, there are tools and methods on the dark web to pull it off.
yes, I've heard about this. But the fundamental problem is that they are burning huge amounts of cash globally and if regulators change and allow Taxi's to charge different rates, it could end badly for Uber. They are working on the principle that regulators wont move and they'll shut them down.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2017, 10:34 AM   #27
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
Who calls for a cab theses days.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2017, 06:50 PM   #28
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have wanted to sign up as a driver for a while for something extra to do on my 4 or 5 days off.
Not sure how it will go taking people around in a Ranger though. That's the main reason I haven't looked into it too much.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2017, 08:53 PM   #29
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post
If people can get better service for the same/similar cost then of course they will go with that other service.
But it's not the same service. No security cameras!
And shouldn't we, in a modern enlightened society, be prepared to pay a couple of extra bucks per cab ride to ensure that people in wheelchairs can get a cab for the same price as us???

Nope, this is now the me-me-me selfish society we live in.
2 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2017, 09:04 PM   #30
Rallye Sport
RS The Faster Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
I have wanted to sign up as a driver for a while for something extra to do on my 4 or 5 days off.
Not sure how it will go taking people around in a Ranger though. That's the main reason I haven't looked into it too much.
I have to drive a Ranger at work, thats bad enough. If one turned up on my driveway to take me to the pub I'd lock the doors, turn the lights off, wait for it to go away and then walk.
FG XR50 Daily.
Rallye Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post