Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-11-2022, 12:26 AM   #1
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Mystery Tool; What is It.

I rather speculatively brought this grab bag of mainly Litchfield tools on ebay; this lot https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/185614146935. OK; so perhaps I have a car tool fetish. But I do think I did OK . This Collet tool https://fordspecialtools.service-sol...search=204-158 is both likely to be useful to me and is seemingly somewhat expensive. I also got a lot of BTR/ION transmission service tools ( and mostly not ones I already had) and various Ford I6 engine tools. Also a few Mazda 3 transmission service tools (49 F401 366 and two of the support plates that go with it).

I also got every special tool you need to remove and install the valves on a Ford UA Corsair (the Ford rebadged Nissan Pintara; remembers them?). I'm not likely to ever see one of them again, let alone have to do a valve job on one, but I guess they are fairly generic valve removal and installation tools so the may find a use. There is only one tool I was not able to ID. This one in the attached picture. Anyone know what is is please? It appears clean and unused and has "Pg3" or perhaps it's "P93" crudely scratched on one side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mysterytoolsmall.jpg (19.2 KB, 146 views)
Old 02-11-2022, 12:38 AM   #2
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Mystery Tool; What is It.

Paging FERG_51…

You could have added something like a 50¢ coin in the photo to give an idea of size.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-11-2022, 01:24 AM   #3
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

A will post a new pic with something to show scale in due course. The blue handle suggests to me it might be something from the Laser Tools company.
Old 02-11-2022, 01:55 AM   #4
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

New picture with things to indicate relative size attached. Addendum: after looking through my son's Mazda 3 Workshop manual I found the Mazda 3 tools were steering service tools rather than transmission tools.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Toolwithscales.jpg (30.2 KB, 110 views)
Old 02-11-2022, 10:47 AM   #5
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Auty Ethyl's hip?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-11-2022, 12:23 PM   #6
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

It has, I think, a vague similarity to a BMW t Transmission, Steering and Fuel Line Disconnect Tool e.g. https://www.toolsource.com/fuel-line...-p-109620.html and https://shop.ktcautotools.com/produc...-series-and-x5

and especially https://www.harrisonmotorsports.com/...nect-tool.html

but I don't think the legs are tapered enough for it to be one.

And it's not the Laser Tool version of that BMW tool which is this https://www.lasertools.co.uk/product...t-Tool-for-BMW
Old 02-11-2022, 12:47 PM   #7
tbro4123

I asked on a US site I'm on, mainly automotive engineers who deal/work with manufactures and so far the best answer is a flat head/side valve spring compressor SST.

I'll report if any different suggestions come up.

Terry aka Tbro
tbro4123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-11-2022, 12:57 PM   #8
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

The handle is held on with one of these FKE (Taiwanese FWU KUANG) hex key socket screw fasteners marked "FKE 010.9" if that's any clue. There seems to be machinist bluing residue in the grooves that are on both legs on one side so perhaps it was a hand made tool.
Old 02-11-2022, 03:27 PM   #9
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
I asked on a US site I'm on, mainly automotive engineers who deal/work with manufactures and so far the best answer is a flat head/side valve spring compressor SST.
Similar to this you mean from:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/22520933...Bk9SR_7fqeWGYQ

or

But for that tool you would also expect the tips to be tapered too and the gap between the jaws to be adjustable.
Old 02-11-2022, 04:52 PM   #10
tbro4123

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Similar to this you mean from:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/22520933...Bk9SR_7fqeWGYQ

or

But for that tool you would also expect the tips to be tapered too and the gap between the jaws to be adjustable.

I'm thinking more small motor, re Kohler, Briggs & Stratton.

It's too small for a real engine Ford or Dodge flathead that I've work on and they are usually like a ball joint splitter but with slightly curled up fork.

Terry
Old 02-11-2022, 06:43 PM   #11
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
It's too small for a real engine Ford or Dodge flathead that I've work on and they are usually like a ball joint splitter but with slightly curled up fork.
Actually the gap between the legs is wider than what any of the automotive valve removal tools I have (side valve or OHC) , so I would be surprised if that is what it was; and why the square profile notches cut into two of the legs?

One of these I wonder https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlqst5pEaQs

Last edited by aussiblue; 02-11-2022 at 07:12 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2022, 07:32 PM   #12
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

..but probably not as they don't have those square cut notches in their legs either.
Old 02-11-2022, 08:40 PM   #13
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Some close up Macro detail in case it helps:

The partially stamped and etched number (looking more closely it wasn't just crudely scratched after all);
One of the two notches in two of the legs with what to me looks like remnants of machinist bluing; and
the screw that attaches the blue handle.

If it is AdBlue diesel exhaust fuel disconnect tool one could speculate that the P93 refers to Powerstroke 1993 but were those engines available in Australia in either Fords or International trucks given the debate about if they were even available in the USA in 1993 (e.g. https://www.powerstroke.org/threads/...erstroke.1624/) .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Numbertool.jpg (31.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Notchtool.jpg (22.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Toolscrew.jpg (22.4 KB, 16 views)
Old 02-11-2022, 09:23 PM   #14
tbro4123

Blue

Ya got me stumped, even went through the OTC SSTs and nothing so if it is an automotive tool it isn't made by or for Bosch.

Good luck and if I hear anything I'll come back to ya!

Terry aka Tbro
This user likes this post:
Old 02-11-2022, 09:36 PM   #15
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Paging FERG_51…

You could have added something like a 50¢ coin in the photo to give an idea of size.
Sorry can't help, have never seen one of those before. Doesn't look like it has ever been used.

Last edited by FERG_51; 02-11-2022 at 09:45 PM.
FERG_51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2022, 10:07 PM   #16
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
Doesn't look like it has ever been used.
Yes; looks unused.
Old 03-11-2022, 12:33 AM   #17
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Might aircraft related?
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2022, 12:38 AM   #18
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I wondered about some form of holder for a clutched rotating assembly.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2022, 02:55 AM   #19
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

It has some similarity to this Ford T97P-7025-A 303-273 OTC Rotunda Gear Shifter Lever Aligner Alignment Tool https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/372460181962 and https://www.freedomracing.com/gear-l...-7025-a-u.html at least to the extent of having a round end slot on one side and a square ended slot on the other side.

But I don't think it's that either.

I have scrolled through all the several thousand or so specialty Ford tool listed here https://www.freedomracing.com/specia...ools.html?p=96 and here https://fordspecialtools.service-sol...s/Country.aspx without finding it either.

Last edited by aussiblue; 05-11-2022 at 03:13 AM.
Old 05-11-2022, 10:00 AM   #20
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its the mysterious wigwam for a gooses bridle.
that will prove your age.
Old 05-11-2022, 12:32 PM   #21
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

My local dealer has confirmed it's a go/no go gauge tool used to check the integrity of the weld join of the Ranger/Everest intermediate steering shaft weld. Made internally by Ford tool makers/engineers and distributed out only to dealers. See https://www.vehiclerecalls.gov.au/recalls/rec-000314

Another curio to go with my ex Ford prototype NB Fairlane that Ford say was meant to be scrapped rather than sold so I could buy it. Now I just need the Technical Service Bulletin that goes with it. Something like this one I expect: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...0V296-2567.pdf

I wonder if it came from a closed dealership or was a dealership suffering hard times from the drop in service work due to the pandemic selling off all the special tools they didn't think they would use again.

Last edited by aussiblue; 05-11-2022 at 12:41 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2022, 07:37 PM   #22
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
its the mysterious wigwam for a gooses bridle.
that will prove your age.
Haha..I was going to write something to this effect. "If you have a gooses bridle, you will recognise the wigwam." Well done, you beat me to it.