Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-02-2006, 02:55 PM   #1
redGhia
If Only I Had Lexus Power

Default High End Laptop Suggestions

Hi Guys, Im currently looking for a laptop, I would prefer a nice clear 17" monitor and all the usuals eg wireless lan etc etc 1g min of ram

Has anyone got any comments on the following HP system or any other suggestions

http://h50025.www5.hp.com/hpcom/au_e...8_EE549PA.html

Someone told me that this 3.4ghz system would be equiovelent to a 2ghz centrino processor

All suggestions/ comments greatly appreciated

Ash

redGhia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 03:01 PM   #2
max^power
Formerly au^ute

Whats your budget? Hign end, you're looking to spend around $3-4k?
max^power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 03:04 PM   #3
redGhia

yep aroung the 3 - 4 k
Old 04-02-2006, 03:33 PM   #4
Teleto
Concept 2 Reality

I bought the HP zd8000 which is basically the same as that but has only 80gig hard drive.
Cant really fault it, the 17inch wide screen is great to view, its got wireless and bluetooth and there fast.
Downfall is the battery life which is about 1hour and 30mins but ahh well use the power cord and your set.
Teleto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 03:35 PM   #5
Dan A

Dell inspiron 9400, especially good for gaming and multimedia...I want one myself but am saving to move house!

www.dell.com.au

Dan
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 10:39 PM   #6
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Yea Id say the 9400....just been released, pretty similar to the 9300 I bought a few months ago....

http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/prod...=au&l=en&s=dhs

Has the new Intel Duo Core....can have up to 2 gig ram, 256MB nVidia graphics, 17 widescreen (1900x1200 resolution!)....Im very very happy with mine!
Old 04-02-2006, 11:18 PM   #7
jmc-007

Stick with Dell or HP, ( I have to order this ИИИИ all the time at work). make sure you option the warranty up and make it next business day onside.

worth the weight in gold. I would sway more to the HP over the dell. (quality is better) we have just got in 20 new dell laptops and the build quality is not the best compared to the HP ones.
jmc-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 11:21 PM   #8
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im using a tosibia laptop with all the goodies ur after bluetooth wireless etc & 17 inch crystal clear screen & it hasnt missed a beat purchased sept 05.

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 11:31 PM   #9
parawolf
beep beep

Get a Mac .... Intel Core Duo's... best displays, all the feature sets... and an OS that cannot be beat for security and performance.

What do you need the laptop to do?
Old 04-02-2006, 11:39 PM   #10
max^power
Formerly au^ute

personally i'd go the toshiba over the dell.. infact i'd go with 1 toshiba over 2 dells. What ever you buy remember this:

You get what you pay for.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:51 AM   #11
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

1 toshiba over 2 dells?.....riiiiiiiiiight then.........
Old 05-02-2006, 01:02 AM   #12
max^power
Formerly au^ute

Once bitten twice shy mate thats all.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:16 AM   #13
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

i agree my toshiba hasnt missed a beat since i bought it and support is fantastic. My dell on the other hand...........
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2006, 03:31 AM   #14
DarkXr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Toshiba Qosimo (spelling) is the go - you can pick one up for about $3899 (I work in the industry) and they are very good. Check the specs with Toshiba
Old 05-02-2006, 10:50 AM   #15
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

I've been looking at the high end notebook market for a few months and am about ready to buy. Tough choice between the 9300 (but now 9400!) and the newly released Acer TravelMate 8204.

I have opted to go with the Acer as I've had my share of Dells over the years and I'm looking for a change. The TM8204 has better build quality, is much smaller and lighter, and has substantially better battery life than the Dell. Most importantly for me though, it isn't half-assed in the places that count - graphics chipset, ram, and hard drive. The other thing I'm looking forward to is not having to deal with Dell's frigging stupid incompetent call centre monkeys!!!!!!!!

Anyway, here's a review of it... (many others around if you Google too)
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1907155,00.asp

Bottom line, you can't go wrong with either of them, but my preference is for the Acer.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:04 AM   #16
WizBang
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The toshiba is the way to go as this is what I have and it never given up and I'm feild based all over the state even if it's coved in dust from working on the ground it still works well, a few guys have the Acers and not as good
WizBang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2006, 02:35 PM   #17
parawolf
beep beep

We had some Toshiba's at my previous place of employment and the fatality rate was insane. Of about the 100 or so that were around, at least 20 of them had returns in the first 6 months. There were repeated failures with display failures and associated components (internal cabling, etc).

After that experience, I couldn't recommend modern toshibas, however this could have just been this particular model/batch.

Dell's well geez, if you cannot say something nice about something...

What do you need the laptop to do... do you need it to be fast? do you need it to have excellent battery life (eg what sort of duration)? what sort of applications do you need to run? What display sizes, with resolution and external attachments do you require? Answer these questions to cut your field down. You will find that those that use the P4 chip are a 'desktop replacement' and battery life, and overall size/weight is a penalty. Those with mobility chipsets are far lighter with better battery life...
Old 05-02-2006, 03:08 PM   #18
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

I can highly reccommend these HP computers, not really a laptop but more like a hybrid. I bought one for my boy (14) about 9 or 10 months ago. It gets heaps of use and hasnt missed a beat. I work for HP and bought through staff discounts. All up cost me $900. But even if I was not associated with HP there is no denying that these are the best in the industry. You cant go wrong.

Cheers.
Outbackjack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2006, 06:56 PM   #19
redGhia

i want wireless lan and allready have an Wireless-G Broadband Router with SRX - WRT54GX

I want a 17 inch screen and decent video card for dvd playback, also will be used for gps mapping when i go out of town and word processing, etc etc - Apart from that messenger and streaming audio etc etc and prob end up putting some decent games on it
Old 05-02-2006, 08:29 PM   #20
qwigybo
hunting 300kw's

so by go out of town i guess you're implying you're going to need good battery life
i have a compaq haven't had a problem with it yet (6mnths) battery life is around 3hrs it only has 512 mem 80gb HDD, does fine for dvd playback and conversion, wireless lan mem card reader etc cost me $2200
qwigybo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2006, 08:40 PM   #21
347_XR8
Slide Baby Slide

For computers in general i would have to Suggest MSY in Coburg. If ya want directions, pm me.
They are a wholesaler, i'm not sure if they do laptops, but they would point ya in the right direction. Got my computer for $1500 and it was top of the line when i bought it (6 months ago), all ya need is someone to put it together

Mr Super Skid-Man
347_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2006, 12:24 AM   #22
djjase
IT JUST GET'S BETTER

It doesnt really matter what you end up buying, just remember all the electronics come from either China, Japan or Tawain.
Over the past 17 years of working in the IT Industry I have had IBM, HP, Toshiba, Dell, Acer etc etc just about had them all.
At the moment I like the Dell, they are resonably priced and their service out strips IBM, HP etc, but thats probably because my laptop is a Company one with Gold Service (ie 1hr turn around on faults etc)
Just choose one that your comfortable with - ie size, weight, options etc.
djjase is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2006, 12:29 AM   #23
jmc-007

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjase
It doesnt really matter what you end up buying, just remember all the electronics come from either China, Japan or Tawain.
Over the past 17 years of working in the IT Industry I have had IBM, HP, Toshiba, Dell, Acer etc etc just about had them all.
At the moment I like the Dell, they are resonably priced and their service out strips IBM, HP etc, but thats probably because my laptop is a Company one with Gold Service (ie 1hr turn around on faults etc)
Just choose one that your comfortable with - ie size, weight, options etc.
well im glad dell honour the gold support for your company, without saying much the gold support isnt worth the toilet paper its written on.

Toshiba make good units but the perfered repairer leaves a lot to be desired.

make sure , whatever you buy it has decent warranty and DOA.
jmc-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2006, 12:56 AM   #24
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

Cant go wrong with an IMB, had several and never had a problem, you get what you pay for, currently using Z60 wide screen
SOLD : BA XR8 4 Speed Auto in Mercury Silver, Bluepower CIA, Full Diffilipo Big Boy Quad System, Tune, 4.11 Diff Gears, FPV Starter Button, FPV GT Rear Spoiler, Tripod Gauges, PWR Trans Cooler. 230 RWKW's. Many thanks to Chris at Bluepower Racing Developments

Hers : F6X build #150 in Ego, Stock as a Rock, untill the warranty runs out, including the extended one.

My Work Wagon AU Futura Wagon in Gold.

On the Farm : Ford 6600 Tractor
EASYBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2006, 02:06 AM   #25
Steffo
LPG > You

I'd get this...

http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/show_p...egory_id]=1317

But get them to upgrade it from 512 to at least 768MB of RAM, preferably 1GB.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2006, 04:50 AM   #26
Steve_T

Brand wise I'd reccomend either an IBM or an Apple if you want the best - im my experience (personal use + been in IT industry over 10 years) they can't be beat from a reliability and quality point of view. Probably if you want real top of the line specs though they'll be well over your price range, so you either get one with slightly lower specs or go another brand. I think Acer are quite good personally too. HP should be good but haven't had any recent experience with 'em so dunno - Toshiba used to be one of the best - I dunno that they're still up to the same standard from what I've heard these days but they're still alright AFAIK.

Just make a list of the features you need eg. WiFi, LAN, DVD burner, S-Video port etc. then look at what models meet the requirements. Then just get the quickest specs and highest RAM, HDD etc. for that sorta thing that you can if you really need the extreme level of performance like that.

It'll generally always be a trade-off between processor speed, RAM, features, size, weight, price, battery life, durability, compatibility, heat output etc. so all ya can do is really think about what ya need and what ya wanna do with it and just make some lists of features/specs which are prioritised for what you need and just go with what best meets the list within your given price range and scope of brands.

Personally, one of the latest Apple iBook 12" G4's with 1GB RAM and 60GB HDD is the ideal thing for me all things considered - and for less than 2 gorillas, but everyones needs can vary greatly.

Again, you just gotta question yourself and consider all factors of what you'll really need in a computer and go from that.

And lastly, yeah - that HP system you lookin' at is pretty sweet - seems like a pretty complete machine feature and spec. wise - it's a bit big and heavy but that's the trade off - if you need features and power more than portability then it's not an issue - only thing is it doesn't mention battery life - if portability is a consideration then I'd check on that just to make sure you can get enough life out of it for what you need - battery life between different notebooks/laptops can vary from about 1-5 hours of reasonable use these days.
Steve_T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2006, 04:18 PM   #27
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by max^power
You get what you pay for.
Very true, i paid 7K odd for my acer travelmate, yep all the bells and whistles with 2 gig ram which bumped up the cost, also has card security like the banks ect.

long story short it also came with a 3 year year 24 hour fix warranty, on the weekend the system went down, not what you need but anyway, i rang the 24 hour hotline computer was in for repair at 10 am and at 1 pm came back with new motherboard and fan, no questions asked.

thats what i wanted backup service as well as a top line laptop.

well done acer, i also have a top line toshiba ( 4K ) and two older now compaq laptops also top line, the acer has been the best to date but each to thier own.

Pete
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2006, 04:22 PM   #28
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf
Intel Core Duo's...
If you buy any notebook without that ^^ then you're not buying a high end spec notebook. Make sure you get the Intel Core Duo (Dual-Core Centrino ).
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2006, 09:07 PM   #29
redGhia

jeez i hate buying stuff, there are soo many models around - In the end i suppose it comes down to price and what features i want
Old 09-02-2006, 10:11 PM   #30
redGhia

Ok, I have narrowed my choices to the following Systems

The HP ZD8203AP (3.4Ghz)

Toshiba Qosimo G20 P-M 780 (2.26 Ghz)

They are both around the same price and from what i hear the HP has a nice screen but is loud, Havent been able to find much info on the Qosimo