Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-03-2005, 01:47 PM   #1
XDSLIDER
BIG LUKE

Default ALL About That RED EB

As a novice drag racer, I watch with a mouth wide open, when your Red EB hits the track. Are there any suggestions you can give when it comes to driving on the track????
I have a little blue ute, but when it comes to driving down the track I am sure that there are a few things that both I and other people could learn from your experience.
After all from what I can see you are the master. :king:
Or the other than that, there is one way I can beat you :
For the moment I am not interested in car changes, just driving style changes!!!!
XDSLIDER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2005, 03:20 PM   #2
Brenden
"THE" Workshop manager.

That's a good question ?

manual gearboxes !!!!

Driving at the drags is also about the car.

Most people get into the car, and basically drive it like they stole it.
A good way to drag, however some cars will not produce times with that driving style.

Take for example the Blue XH shop ute. By driving it too hard, you can spin the wheels all the way down Calder drag strip. Slow your driving sytle down, ie take off the line a little softer and not put your foot down so that the tyre spin continues and revs increase without the car actually accelerating. Its more of a feeling than a science.

Then your 1st to 2nd gear change should not be a smash into gear more like a casual gear change. As smashing into gear can also create wheel spin. We dont want that.

Your 2nd into 3rd should be as fast as possible, the same for the rest of the gears.

By driving the ute "softer" off the line and into second gear, my time improved from 14.8 to 14 flat.....

You should take into account tyre pressures 15psi is usally a winner
is your clutch working properly ? If your missing gears, or crunching gears, its probably the clutch not you.
If you find you can't get the car into the next gear no matter how hard you push or pull, crunching or no crunching. Chance is its you box at fault...1. worn out syncros, 2 wrong oil for that sytle of gear box, 3 time for a new box.

Gear boxes work different under hi load than light load. So it might be fine on the street, but dosen't work on the track

I usually start off with any car driving as hard as possible, then soften the style down.

If the setup off the car's suspension is good and you have good tyres, then a hard driving sytle is the go.

Traction is the issue, pushing a car to hard and no traction is worse that a little softer and more traction.

Try it and see how you go.

PS Auto's is another story again.

AME Albury carshow Horsepower Hero 2005
AME Adelaide carshow Horsepower Hero 2005
AME Shepparton carshow Horsepower Hero 2005
AME Melbourne Highest horsepower 6 turbo 2005
AME Melbourne Highest horsepower N/A 6 2005
All Ford nationals DYO 10.5 and over champion 2005
Brenden is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2005, 04:57 AM   #3
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon