Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-05-2006, 08:06 PM   #1
ALS008
I'm BOSS

Default Debadging my Car

Hey Guys,

What is the best way to debadge a car without wrecking the paint job. Is it easy enough to just peel the bagdes off or is there a techneque to should use??

====Past Rides====
'04 BA XR6T 5spd T5: Nizpro Tuned, Valve springs, CIA, Injectors, 256RWKW
'04 BA XR8 4spd BTR:Bluepower Tuned, BPR CAI, Big Boy exhaust, Hi Stall, 4.11s, 248RWKW PB:13.2@105mph
'92 EB Fairmont GHIA 5.0LT 5spd T5:Stock with a cat back exhaust.
'06 BF Fairlane GHIA 230Boss ZF 6spd: BPR CIA, cat back Exhaust.

====Present Ride====
'10 FPV GS Ute ZF 6spd:#108. With all the fruit.
ALS008 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2006, 08:12 PM   #2
Zephyr
Old rookie

the badges will just pull off. then just clean off glue
Zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2006, 08:14 PM   #3
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have heard the best way is to use a hair dryer.. that way you won't pull any paint off.. then just clean the remaining glue off...
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2006, 08:19 PM   #4
Woz
As in 'best there ever'

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
I have heard the best way is to use a hair dryer.. that way you won't pull any paint off.. then just clean the remaining glue off...
How would hitting the badges with a hair dryer help remove them without damaging the paint? I fail to see any sense in your method.
Woz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2006, 08:19 PM   #5
whiteELXR6

yer hair dryer is the way to go...make sure you check if your badges have the pins behind them tho...i;ve made that mistake once lol
whiteELXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2006, 08:24 PM   #6
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woz
How would hitting the badges with a hair dryer help remove them without damaging the paint? I fail to see any sense in your method.
Always has to be one dipstick in the bunch doesn't there!!!! :

Woz, you plug it into a power point and use the heat to unstick the glue which is generally (not always though) what badges are held on by...
Old 11-05-2006, 08:25 PM   #7
ALS008
I'm BOSS

Thanks guys i thought that adding a bit off heat would make it a bit easier.
Whats the best stuff to get the glue off tho, a swab off metho or should i use wax & grease remover......

====Past Rides====
'04 BA XR8 4spd BTR:Bluepower Tuned, BPR CAI, Big Boy exhaust, Hi Stall, 4.11s, 248RWKW PB:13.2@105mph

====Present Ride====
Old 11-05-2006, 08:25 PM   #8
Woz
As in 'best there ever'

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
Always has to be one dipstick in the bunch doesn't there!!!! :

Woz, you plug it into a power point and use the heat to unstick the glue which is generally (not always though) what badges are held on by...
Oh, okay. The badges on my cars are held in with pins at the back. So there's one flaw in your scheme.

The other...?

I don't have any hair. What's a hair dryer? :
Woz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2006, 08:44 PM   #9
vino3o2
owning V8=having no $$$

Woz and Fiery at it again... ing_sm
Be very carefull when pulling them off as I have taken paint off my old AU XR6 when I tried to pull off the badges, stupid fingers....

The Reality: 13.1 @ 106mph.... The Goal: somehow get into the 12s!!! :sm_headba

www.qldsuperkart.org
vino3o2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2006, 08:50 PM   #10
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

with fishing line in a sawing action held taught against the badge will slice the double sided tape and/or sikaflex

Then prepsol to sofhten the residue, just wax after you are done to combat the prepsol

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2006, 08:52 PM   #11
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

I took mine off by using the hair dryer method - poured water into the back of the badge (where the tape is) and let it bed in for a minute, then smashed the crap out of it with a hair dryer! Nah, turned the hair dryer on, and heated the back of the badge evenly, while not holding it too close to the paint. With a bit of wriggling of the badge, it will eventually come free but i found it took a while, with the 'XR' badge on the boot taking AGES! I then used some of that 'orange' guck removing stuff you can get from Coles or wherever, and a warm wet cloth, and about 15 minutes of elbow grease per badge.

You can also use fishing line, and i used whipper snipper cord on one of them, which pulled the badge off in seconds, but this method left virtually ALL of the backing glue on the metal (whereas the hairdryer left virtually nothing) and took freaking ages to remove. I recommend the hairdryer method.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2006, 08:54 PM   #12
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteELXR6
yer hair dryer is the way to go...make sure you check if your badges have the pins behind them tho...i;ve made that mistake once lol
Im a painter and if u hold the hair dryer to close to the paint it wil buble up so be careful doing that!!
Old 11-05-2006, 08:55 PM   #13
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantz
I recommend the hairdryer method.
See another very intelligent person... awesome.. :
Old 11-05-2006, 08:55 PM   #14
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

exactly

(to the 'careful with the hairdryer' heat damage thing)
Old 11-05-2006, 08:56 PM   #15
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hairdryer is the best method. Start to heat up the badge. Once its warm keep the dryer going and start to wiggle the badge. Eventually the glue gives and you can pull the badge off. To clean it, use Metho. I did this, never damaged the paint and cleaned off all the glue. All i did then was apply some polish to the paint where the badge was and that was it.

Pretty easy
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2006, 08:57 PM   #16
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used the hairdryer method to pull the "5 Litre V8" badges off the front guards. Works a treat. Clean the leftover glue off with prepsol ,then Scratch X and a wax. You'd never know they were there.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT

Last edited by fairmont1998; 11-05-2006 at 09:00 PM. Reason: spelling
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2006, 08:57 PM   #17
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

and you won't regret the clean look, i found it made the spoiler have far better definition. I still have to remove the side skirt badges, too lazy though :(

The 'F' from 'F A L C O N' fell off my ba when i had it, i should have de-badged that one at that point ;p

Whereas the 'F A L C O N' badging that used to be on the bf looked like it had been put on by someone with their head tilted 43degs to the left and guzzling chardonay
Old 11-05-2006, 09:05 PM   #18
AMT
Come fly with P.S.I...

Eucalyptus spray to get the glue off works like a treat and takes bout 5 mins and wont damage your paint.....
Old 11-05-2006, 09:07 PM   #19
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhanst
Eucalyptus spray to get the glue off works like a treat and takes bout 5 mins and wont damage your paint.....
You should make your signature into a link to a pic of your beast dude.. so i can continually stare at it and be jeallous. If you want me to host it for you i can do so..
Old 11-05-2006, 09:13 PM   #20
Boss 330
miss my V8

I used boiling water to remove all mine, just pour it over the badge, then gently wriggle it off. Probably just as effective as the hair dryer, maybe less chance of damaging the paint??
While the glue is still soft it seems to peel off relatively easily, but eucalyptis oil works a treat for the more stubborn bits.
Boss 330 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2006, 09:14 PM   #21
AMT
Come fly with P.S.I...

I wouldn't have a clue how to do it mate...
Old 11-05-2006, 09:46 PM   #22
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

I use the hairdryer and dental floss method. Heat up with hairdryer and then cut through with dental floss. The dental floss is pretty fine and seems to cut well
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2006, 10:11 PM   #23
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Why do you want to take the badge off? It must be a commodore? Or a daihatsu with a VS body kit.... lol

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2006, 02:54 PM   #24
ALS008
I'm BOSS

Well i debadged that car today. Used the Hot water method as mentioned above post #20. Works awesome, took all the glue off aswell so no cleaning to do afterwards. Will give it a good wash and polish soon, should bring the paint up imak.....

====Past Rides====

====Present Ride====
Old 15-05-2006, 02:59 PM   #25
nat_daly
Nat D

lol easiest way is to use fishing wire and then just polish the left over glue.. took about 2 mins.. including finding fishing wire
old ride#1: ED XR6 5 speed-gone to new home:(
old ride#2:dumped EL fairmont 5l
new ride: Winter white AU2 XR8-manual
nat_daly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2006, 03:10 PM   #26
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I used fishing line, to remove my badges.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2006, 03:22 PM   #27
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_daly
lol easiest way is to use fishing wire and then just polish the left over glue.. took about 2 mins.. including finding fishing wire
It gererally takes longer the newer the vehicle is though, newer glue/tape is going to have a lot more stick
Old 15-05-2006, 04:23 PM   #28
crannersEL
Banned

Does anyone know if EL GLi's badges are on with pins also??
crannersEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2006, 08:18 PM   #29
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

not sure, go for a hoon down to your local ford wrecker and have a look at one
Old 15-05-2006, 10:01 PM   #30
martO
meh

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his efforts in creating the monthly Photoshop competitions and advice/tips on how to use Photoshop. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crannersEL
Does anyone know if EL GLi's badges are on with pins also??
The falcon badges arent on pins, if that helps, the hairdryer or fishing line method will both work for that.