Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-05-2006, 11:45 AM   #1
Psi-Pop
on the way to the RSL

Default Mounting numberplates

Hey Guys!

My dad just got some new slimeline plates for his XRt. Just come to putting them on and we have mounted the front slimline okay, doesnt look bad once we fill the previous screw holes. The back on the other hand doesnt look so great, they are only 5 digit plates which leave the massive black grommets in clear view.

Has anyone had any experience with how to aviod these using slimline 5 digit plates?

Cheers

Psi-Pop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2006, 12:02 PM   #2
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You could be a little inventive by using a normal plate surround and having it filled (either dark metal, or same colour as car... or simply paint it either side so the plate will sit in the centre without looking silly..
Then once you have lined it all up you permanently fix the plate to the surround...

Have seen it done, and yes it does look ok as long as you take a little care..
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2006, 12:57 PM   #3
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
You could be a little inventive by using a normal plate surround and having it filled (either dark metal, or same colour as car... or simply paint it either side so the plate will sit in the centre without looking silly..
Then once you have lined it all up you permanently fix the plate to the surround...

Thats what i was going to say.
Old 14-05-2006, 01:11 PM   #4
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why not just get a normal sized plate on the back..
chich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2006, 01:14 PM   #5
LUXO_8
windsor user

my opinion only, but slimline plates really dont look that great on the back of falcons.....

i prefer the slimline front, fullsize rear plate look...
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2006, 01:36 PM   #6
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
my opinion only, but slimline plates really dont look that great on the back of falcons.....

i prefer the slimline front, fullsize rear plate look...

I think it can look good if it has been done properly (meaning nicely lol)..
I still haven't fixed up my slimlines on the front yet.. will do it soon :

I personally prefer the fullsize plates (which I wish I had realised that before getting slimline for front)....
:alien2:
Old 14-05-2006, 01:58 PM   #7
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

i originally ordered slimlines on my BA, but they looked ordinary on the back as many people have said.

On the BF i have slimline on the front which suits it perfectly, and full size on the back which looks a lot better proportioned.

I know what you mean with the 5 digit plates, i've seen them on the back of a BA XR before and you could see the two mounting holes showing. I can't recall if the 5 digit full size plates are the same size as the 6 digits ? I think they are, but you'll have to check. You'd have to pay a fee to get it re-issued too.

Either that or do what fiery said, make some sort of backing for it, although you'd have to check on the legalities of that.
Old 14-05-2006, 02:13 PM   #8
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is no problems legally simply because it is within the number plate surround. If the plate was to be outside of it then there would be issues or if the plate was not a permanent fixture to the surround again you may have problems.

Done properly, can look good.. but yes, it does take a bit of time and effort..
Old 14-05-2006, 02:19 PM   #9
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

well yeah i wouldn't think it would be a problem, but you know what government bodies are like, anything to make money, just thought better to be safe than sorry ;p
Old 14-05-2006, 04:52 PM   #10
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery

I did that on the back of my old XD, as I got the plates for the XR, before I got the car. I fixed the numberplate to a cut out the same size as a standard plate, sprayed black, then fixed that to the car, and covered it with numberplate protectors.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post