Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-03-2005, 07:55 PM   #1
FAT69XT
Starter Motor

Exclamation 100k Service- slotted brake rotors

Hi All,

I'm new on here- just picked up an 01 AUII Forte SR the other day, very happy with it, and the fuel economy you can et out of it if you cruise around!

I'm up for the 100,000 service- anyone know roughly how much they will sting me for this?

Also, do the brake rotors usually need replacing at this many k's and if so, how much more are the slotted/ drilled ones?

Finally, has anyone on here done the Tickford snorkel/ EL upper airbox swap on a 6 cyl, and how noticible were the results?

Cheers and congrats on a great site!
Matt
FAT69XT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2005, 10:52 PM   #2
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Get the snorkle Matt. Its worth the $$
Uncle_Ken
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2005, 12:47 AM   #3
5 FTR 5
Made the 300 :0)

Slots are good, better stopping power with the right pads.Shop around for a price mine where $115 each.
Old 15-03-2005, 10:22 AM   #4
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can get slotted rotors at a very good price if you are a member of fordmods.com through hightek brakes. Last I checked it was $100 per DBA and $88 per RDA slotted rotors. Both very good upgrades over the standard rotors.
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2005, 11:18 AM   #5
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Welcome aboard FAT69XT. Good buy the AUII SR. Don't know how much the 100k service is going to cost sorry. With the brakes, you don't have to replace discs at a certain km number, rather when the discs in this case, are undersize or warped beyond being machined. Do the brakes feel ok? Why do you feel they need to be replaced? Being almost 100k the front rotors would have been replaced a couple of times already I would think.

The Tickford snorkel is a good upgrade, but it's not going to make a difference that you will notice. People who say putting the Tickford snorkel on makes the car much quicker are talking out of their ****.

The DBA discs and the RDA discs might look the same, but the quality of the meterial used is a lot different. I'll take the DBA over the RDA's anyday.

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2005, 04:42 PM   #6
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
The Tickford snorkel is a good upgrade, but it's not going to make a difference that you will notice. People who say putting the Tickford snorkel on makes the car much quicker are talking out of their ****.
The car will rev free-er + and feel a bit more responsive but thats about it. For the small amount of money it costs (for the snorkel) its alright.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2005, 06:20 PM   #7
au-steve
fully *** turboooo

i use DBAs. not happy with them at all. im actually going back to original discs this week.
ive tried a few pads with them, but after about 4 weeks the shuddering starts and the pads start to wear like nothing else.
au-steve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2005, 06:34 PM   #8
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

If you get 100k out of AU rotors of any kind you've done well.
Any of the drilled / slotted rotors will be an improvement on the stock units but budget will be the determining factor. The AU grooved rotors aren't an option - they barely outlast a set of pads but the Herrod replacements for those provide strong performance at a reasonable price.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2005, 09:12 PM   #9
FAT69XT
Starter Motor

Thanks for the advice guys, and the warm welcome, much appreciated!

I figured the snorkel wouldn't make a huge difference, but for $25-30 I might as well, its not a big outlay!

With the disks, the car brakes fine, except for when your at a walking pace, with the brakes lightly applied- I think they might be mildly warped. The reason I asked about the slotteds, is I have heard AU's chew rotors pretty quickly, so i figure if their up for replacement, slotteds may be the go!

Thanks for your help,

Cheers,
Matt
Old 15-03-2005, 09:26 PM   #10
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

AUII's rotors should last pretty well. AUI is a bit different.

I went for RDA slotted rotors at 50,000km and are very happy with them.

My stock rotors were still fine really with 2mm over min size still so they would have gone 100,000k easy.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2005, 01:03 AM   #11
Kermit

I changed to DBA slotted rotors and QFM pads about 2,000k's ago. Couldn't be happier. Runs quiet as a mouse and stops extremely well.

Just ask the brake guys how much meat is left on the parts. If there's plenty left, a good machine of the rotors will do wonders.

The snorkle just lets a bit more air into the engine. If there is no mod to the exhaust, or even the filter in the air intake box then it's got nowhere to go, and therefore not much benefit. But if you want it, then go for it. It can't hurt.

As for the service, it's not a major one, so maybe a couple of hundred. That's of course assuming there's nothing wrong with it in the first place.

Tod.

AUIII XR6 VCT - Venom Red

Modified JMM DEV1 VCT:- JMM Race headers, Redback cat back 2.5” exhaust, JMM hi flow cat, Modified airbox with pod filter & XR8 snorkel (JMM VCT Kit)
160rwkw

Last edited by Kermit; 16-03-2005 at 01:07 AM.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2005, 10:37 PM   #12
FAT69XT
Starter Motor

Quick update guys:

Rotors were fine,so no new ones for now :-) service was about $500- not to bad!

Mechanic said auto fluid was heaps dirty- got it booked in at an auto place for a "power flush" on saturday- about $195. Thinkin about throwing an auto trans cooler on it- anyone done this?

Auto has a slight whine in 1st to 2nd change- anyone else's do this?

Cheers,
Matt
Old 20-03-2005, 10:53 PM   #13
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit
I changed to DBA slotted rotors and QFM pads about 2,000k's ago. Couldn't be happier. Runs quiet as a mouse and stops extremely well.

Just ask the brake guys how much meat is left on the parts. If there's plenty left, a good machine of the rotors will do wonders.

The snorkle just lets a bit more air into the engine. If there is no mod to the exhaust, or even the filter in the air intake box then it's got nowhere to go, and therefore not much benefit. But if you want it, then go for it. It can't hurt.

As for the service, it's not a major one, so maybe a couple of hundred. That's of course assuming there's nothing wrong with it in the first place.

Tod.

Hey Tod,

How much did the parts (DBA slotted rotors and QFM pads) cost you?

George

P.S I
m new by the way!
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post