Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: Do you think we will beat Italy?
Yes 55 42.64%
Don't Know 29 22.48%
No 45 34.88%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 23-06-2006, 08:06 AM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Soccer - Do you think?

Well, do you?

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
Old 23-06-2006, 08:08 AM   #2
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Porbably will

Hiddink is just an awesome coach.
Old 23-06-2006, 08:12 AM   #3
G6ET8U
GTX Turbo & KB Blown

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: ALWAYS goes out of his way to help others in need, never posts rubbish only facts he has learnt the hard way or with success in his personal experiance. Takes the time to aid more junior members and overall is a solid contributor to AFF. 

We have a great chance that is for sure!! As a team we certainly attack enough to be able to score goals...

The Italian game is going to be massive.

What a great day for Australian football...

Well done boys!!!

Jack

SNOW WHITE 2004 BA FPV PURSUIT
2.6L Kenne Bell
Brembos all round
Twin Screw Awesomeness

Supported, serviced and tuned by
BLUEPOWER RACING DEVELOPMENTS

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11354744
Old 23-06-2006, 08:21 AM   #4
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You dont know what you will get with Italy. Obviously 110% from Australia but Italy are a big big step above Croatia and most other teams when they are on full song. If Australia can score they can win! If the Italians get one its very hard once they defend as its their specialty, remember appart from an own Goal No one from the last 3 Games {Ghana, USA, Czech} has scored against Italy and they are all pretty strong teams.
Old 23-06-2006, 08:22 AM   #5
pennybrain
Heart of Blue

The Italians drew with America.
I don't rate america all that much.
I reckon the Aussies have a chance!
Old 23-06-2006, 08:35 AM   #6
HOON69
Banned

replace the keeper we have a chance ;)
kalac was def the weakest part of the team today but overall he did well,but that other goalie is def needing to be the goalie for the italy game ;)
Old 23-06-2006, 08:36 AM   #7
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennybrain
The Italians drew with America.
I don't rate america all that much.
I reckon the Aussies have a chance!
That was a dirty game with 3 Reds, a dodgy ref and an own Goal. I wouldnt use that as a yard stick. Having said that if we can beat them any way its a win
Old 23-06-2006, 08:39 AM   #8
rodderz

I think the aussies just have to improve some of the sloppy passes every now and then, a few crept in during Brazil and Croatia which resulted in turnovers. Apart from that their attack seems to be very good anbd they create a lot of opportunities.The italians definately have the style and skill, the aussies will have to use all their determination to get through

Some good umpires would help too!
Old 23-06-2006, 08:39 AM   #9
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Thread title changed to remove OBVIOUS spoiler..

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Old 23-06-2006, 08:43 AM   #10
niko
likes falcon's

you don't think, you WATCH
Old 23-06-2006, 08:49 AM   #11
mark180227
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

italy....pfft. we will win the thing! come on aussies!

What do you guys think about Mark Viduka? He hasnt really done much, he has been quite dissapointing imo. Maybe lacking confidence or something but he has to improve for the italy match.
Old 23-06-2006, 08:49 AM   #12
HTCURRY

it has to be said...

but Guus nearly became a Goose!

He put Kalac into the team, because of his supposed strength with crosses, but aside from the obvious howler...the man never looked comfortable today.

I dont think Austrlia will beat Italy...but to tell you the truth...I dont really care. It was an accomplishment just to make it, and now to move into the final 16 is unreal.

I know some feel Dukes has had a poor WC, but the guy does all the ugly and unglamorous work for us in the offensive half of the field. The number of through balls he holds up and disperses to those coming from behind is crucial to Australias attack. His linkup play in World class. Without doubt he needs a goal or two, but ask his team mates, they all know how valuable he is in the Australian set up
Old 23-06-2006, 08:51 AM   #13
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Viduka even if he isnt scoring draws a lot of defenders as we saw this morning.
Freeing up other Aussie scorers.
Old 23-06-2006, 08:51 AM   #14
niko
likes falcon's

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark180227
italy....pfft. we will win the thing! come on aussies!

What do you guys think about Mark Viduka? He hasnt really done much, he has been quite dissapointing imo. Maybe lacking confidence or something but he has to improve for the italy match.

he has been playing great, and deserves a goal, to say he hasnt been playing good is not the attitude you should be looking for here... he is attracting lots of defenders, most likely having orders from coaches to lock him down
Old 23-06-2006, 08:52 AM   #15
niko
likes falcon's

lol method, thinking exactly the same thing!
Old 23-06-2006, 08:53 AM   #16
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

If the referees actually do their job right for once............. :
Old 23-06-2006, 08:53 AM   #17
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Missing Brett Emerton is a blow :(

Old 23-06-2006, 08:58 AM   #18
mark180227
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
he has been playing great, and deserves a goal, to say he hasnt been playing good is not the attitude you should be looking for here... he is attracting lots of defenders, most likely having orders from coaches to lock him down
im always in full support for the duke...he is a top football player but just some of the time he goes forward he tends to use a bit too much foot work instead of just getting the ball into the square. I'm not an expert its just my opinion.
Old 23-06-2006, 09:01 AM   #19
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark180227
im always in full support for the duke...he is a top football player but just some of the time he goes forward he tends to use a bit too much foot work instead of just getting the ball into the square. I'm not an expert its just my opinion.
the problem being that we dont have another man closer to the goal than him 90% of the time... whipping a ball into the box would be easy pickings for the goalie.. What he does with his size,strength and abililty to hold the ball is the way he plays for Boro and Guus utilises it well... I pray he gets another 4 in the old onion bag like he did vs Liverpool a few seasons back...

Old 23-06-2006, 09:02 AM   #20
niko
likes falcon's

just because he hasnt scored a goal, doesn't mean he's not playing good though, he's seen as a big threat and as method and I already mentioned he is freeing up play for the others...
Old 23-06-2006, 09:18 AM   #21
rodderz

He's a bit like a Tony Lockett, Wayne carey or a James Hird, where they draw a few defenders to them because of the threat they pose
Old 23-06-2006, 09:49 AM   #22
pennybrain
Heart of Blue

The duke is great. He is so strong and thats why the other teams are putting so many defenders on him.
Old 23-06-2006, 09:51 AM   #23
Homer1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think whether we can beat Italy or not depends on what kind of day the Italians have. We have seen that they can be brilliant like in thier first match, but they can also be very undisciplined like in the match against the US, which can be thier big downfall. Also if we can cop a break with the referees, with a bit of luck we can be 1/4 finalists.
Old 23-06-2006, 09:54 AM   #24
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

I beleive Italy will win the game, but it will definiely be very competitive for both sides. Viduka has played his heart out just has been unlucky in getting a goal, but he will get his moment of glory soon.

If Australia beat Italy, The whole world will stand up and take notice as aussies never give up at battle it out to the end.

GO TEAM GO.

When is the date for this game?
Old 23-06-2006, 09:56 AM   #25
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

both teams that i go for.....so cant decide but i voted italy
go my half bloods

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
Old 23-06-2006, 10:06 AM   #26
f6speedster

Its going to be hard this one.....I was born in Australia and I am an Australian and Italian citizen.....my head goes with Italy.....my heart goes for the Aussies.
Old 23-06-2006, 10:16 AM   #27
G6ET8U
GTX Turbo & KB Blown

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: ALWAYS goes out of his way to help others in need, never posts rubbish only facts he has learnt the hard way or with success in his personal experiance. Takes the time to aid more junior members and overall is a solid contributor to AFF. 

I believe the next game is Tuedsay morning (monday night) at 12.30am...

I will certainly be watching that one.

Jack

SNOW WHITE 2004 BA FPV PURSUIT
2.6L Kenne Bell
Brembos all round
Twin Screw Awesomeness

Supported, serviced and tuned by
BLUEPOWER RACING DEVELOPMENTS

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11354744
Old 23-06-2006, 11:22 AM   #28
Homer1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Damn...will be in NZ at the time of the Italy game....anyone know a good pub in Queenstown where I can watch the match??
Old 23-06-2006, 11:35 AM   #29
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont think we have a chance unfortunatly... Australia have played very well but like brazil, italy are in another league compared to us...
Old 23-06-2006, 01:10 PM   #30
Spotty

As an AFL follower who before the world cup knew sfa about soccer I'm slowly becoming a convert after having someone explain some of the strategies of the game while watching the brazil match. I haven't seen much of italy but what I do sense is that in a world cup the unpredictability factor seems really high. I feel if the aussies are fitter, more agressive, all our players go into the match without carryying any injuries then we must be a great chance. Mental strength and sticking to the team game plan will also be a key.
Closed Thread